Author Topic: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer  (Read 129874 times)

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
Re: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer
« Reply #1120 on: March 5, 2012, 05:46:15 pm »
Makes me laugh when people talk about names like Hazard, Lavezzi, Cavani when its quite obvious we won't sign any of them. I don't know if its a Liverpool thing or its an English thing but we don't seem to sign several flair players and have them all at once. Other than Suarez, who else could be counted as a flair player/playmaker in our squad?

The likes of Real Madrid and AC Milan can afford to have Ronaldo, Ozil, Kaka, Di Maria, Benzema, Higuain and (Milan) Ibrahimovic, Robinho, Cassano, Pato.

I'm afraid we're more likely to see Charlie Adam mark II arrive than any of the names people wish for.
FAME makes a man take things over

« Reply #1121 on: March 5, 2012, 06:02:07 pm »
Well a lengthy injury to either one of them could ruin any building you have done around them. If Bellamy injures his knee again he is done, same with Gerrard's groin really..
Same as every other player

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #1122 on: March 5, 2012, 06:02:21 pm »
A goalscorer
A prolific striker
Someone who can stick it in the back of the net
Jermaine Defoe

1 out of those 4 would do
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1123 on: March 5, 2012, 06:04:13 pm »
A goalscorer
A prolific striker
Jermaine Defoe

As long as it's not Jermain Defoe.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1124 on: March 5, 2012, 06:09:03 pm »
If lucas were not injured I wouldn't really think a midfielder was needed. But considering the possibility that with that injury Lucas may never return to top level. I would think a defensive midfielder will be needed.

The main thing is striker and wing positions. Someone like Giroud up front and Zaha for the wings.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Re: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer?
« Reply #1125 on: March 5, 2012, 06:09:20 pm »
Where does the header for this topic come from? Pretty sure Comolli didn't say any such thing.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Hannibal

• Kopite
« Reply #1126 on: March 5, 2012, 06:14:30 pm »
A playmaker, a real one.  Buck passing Downing and six touch Charlie can be downgraded to squad players.  After that obviously a striker and a set piece coach, fuck me our corners are atrocious.

Offline PhlegmJehst

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1127 on: March 5, 2012, 06:17:09 pm »
goalscorer and a goal scoring midfielder, Carroll and Adam out, maybe Gomis and Honda as realistic targets, we wont be signing the Lavezzi's or Cavani's etc...

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1128 on: March 5, 2012, 06:23:12 pm »
Really think we should take a punt on Sigurdsson

just shows you how teams can do good business in january

sigurdsson would have been ideal for us

« Last Edit: March 5, 2012, 06:25:38 pm by lfcmaster »

Offline Carra23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1129 on: March 5, 2012, 06:30:31 pm »
A goalscorer
A prolific striker
Lionel Messi

Slightly fixed it for you.
Sent from my laptop using my fingers to type

Offline greenstien

• Bring out your stools.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do or do not, there is no try
« Reply #1130 on: March 5, 2012, 06:33:33 pm »
Makes me laugh when people talk about names like Hazard, Lavezzi, Cavani when its quite obvious we won't sign any of them. I don't know if its a Liverpool thing or its an English thing but we don't seem to sign several flair players and have them all at once. Other than Suarez, who else could be counted as a flair player/playmaker in our squad?

The likes of Real Madrid and AC Milan can afford to have Ronaldo, Ozil, Kaka, Di Maria, Benzema, Higuain and (Milan) Ibrahimovic, Robinho, Cassano, Pato.

I'm afraid we're more likely to see Charlie Adam mark II arrive than any of the names people wish for.

Sadly I agree with this.  I would love to see us acquire more flair players, especiall for CM and RW, but for years now, we seem to rely on 1 flair player and Gerrard.  I hope the trend is changing, but am not holding my breath
Shelvey will become top class, mark my words... Infact quote me on that.

« Reply #1131 on: March 5, 2012, 06:37:42 pm »
A playmaker, a real one.  Buck passing Downing and six touch Charlie can be downgraded to squad players.  After that obviously a striker and a set piece coach, fuck me our corners are atrocious.

This, from the set-piece deliveries to how the players attack the ball during corners is atrocious and it has been since the days of Rafa. Think it might be sorted out from the coaching side. Maybe get Stoke's set-piece coach

« Reply #1132 on: March 5, 2012, 06:39:25 pm »
just shows you how teams can do good business in january

sigurdsson would have been ideal for us

Haven't really seen him play, where does he play and what type of player is he? I am hoping we do not sign any new central players except a CF until we give Shelvey a proper run in the team to see just how good he is.

Offline Renato

• One Moura One Cup
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #1133 on: March 5, 2012, 06:54:42 pm »
Where does the header for this topic come from? Pretty sure Comolli didn't say any such thing.

First page

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #1134 on: March 5, 2012, 06:56:18 pm »
This is the new Lille-Toulouse thread in disguise isn't it?

My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #1135 on: March 5, 2012, 07:07:13 pm »
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline East of Anfield

• Kopite
  • Singaporean Red
« Reply #1136 on: March 5, 2012, 07:08:35 pm »
Don't every team have adjustments every summer?

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1137 on: March 5, 2012, 07:16:33 pm »

Yup. The transfer forum in one thread on the main board thread of threads

Offline T.Mills

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1138 on: March 5, 2012, 07:21:59 pm »
I think its clear to see we are severely lacking pace, other than Downing and Bellamy there is no one in the squad who really puts the frightners on opposing defenders.

We should be looking to identify a quick and direct striker in the summer along with a 'trequartista' type player to supply the ammunition. Easy!! 8)

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #1139 on: March 5, 2012, 07:31:35 pm »
If lucas were not injured I wouldn't really think a midfielder was needed. But considering the possibility that with that injury Lucas may never return to top level. I would think a defensive midfielder will be needed.

The main thing is striker and wing positions. Someone like Giroud up front and Zaha for the wings.

But we really don't want Adam starting and Gerrard isn't great in that position and hes a bit injury prone. Henderson can't tackle either. I think CM is up there just as important as striker and winger for me

Offline ReddyMac

• Kopite
  • These eyes seek more glory!!
« Reply #1140 on: March 5, 2012, 07:57:09 pm »
Have been thinking this for a while..

Why can't we buy another DM and use two DMs, either 2 of Lucas/Spearo/New DM and give the 5 players ahead more attacking freedom plus allow the full backs the option to join in attack while the DMs cover? That would surely create some 'free-flowing',attacking football.

« Reply #1141 on: March 5, 2012, 07:59:28 pm »
But we really don't want Adam starting and Gerrard isn't great in that position and hes a bit injury prone. Henderson can't tackle either. I think CM is up there just as important as striker and winger for me
Adam can't defend, Suarez can't score, Henderson can't tackle, Downing can't dribble

Whine whine whine, maybe we should throw all of them away

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #1142 on: March 5, 2012, 08:06:03 pm »
Adam can't defend, Suarez can't score, Henderson can't tackle, Downing can't dribble

Whine whine whine, maybe we should throw all of them away

Not whining its the truth. No we should not throw them away but bar suarez on that list at this moment in time they aren't good enough to get us 4th. Which is fact as we're currently 7th. Suarez can and will score and downing can dribble..he just doesn't much for some strange reason.

Offline aurelian

• Kopite
« Reply #1143 on: March 5, 2012, 08:06:19 pm »
There are several realities that we have to face here.

At the end of last season, we were an excellent team, a team that legitimately would have qualified for the CL and had one of the highest point totals in the second half.  Fact.  We needed to address some key areas.  But not just address them in general; we needed to improve upon them vastly.  Fact.

John Henry said that not qualifying for CL would be "a major disappointment."  If we already had one of the highest point totals with the squad we had at the end of last season, then we only should have gotten better.  Henry said he wanted CL.

If anyone at the beginning of Kenny's comeback knew that Kenny and Comolli would get close to a hundred million pounds to spend on transfers, none of us would have said "okay, considering our already excellent starting XI, and adding another one hundred million pounds of transfers, we... still should not expect to get CL next season."  That would be absurd.  All of us expected it, including our owner.

And yet, here we are.  It's March.  And it is absolutely clear that we're not guaranteed a CL spot.  It's not even clear that we might qualify.

At this very second, we don't have a better team or squad than Chelsea or Arsenal.  The only reason we're even remotely in the race for 4th is because they've been so shite and underwhelming.  And yet, Kenny says we're fine, nothing at all happened in January, and he fancies us against the current competition---and yet, what if THEY improve?  Chelsea might get Hazard, or Cavani, or anyone else; does Kenny still fancy us against them?  I mean, how absurd is that?  we're already worse off than they are, and if they add even better players, we are still deluding ourselves into thinking we can compete with them?

For me, it's abundantly clear that Kenny's most important signings have been underwhelming.  Downing has been a disaster thus far.  Carroll the same.  Henderson is "one for the future" apparently, which means he's allowed to be underwheming now.  Adam has been inconsistent.  Only Enrique, Suarez and Bellamy can be said to be successes thus far.

And yet, Henry wants CL next year.  Is Kenny willing to bet his job on the fact that Downing, Carroll, Adam and Henderson will step it up for the rest of the season?  is he willing to stake the temptations from other teams for Reina, Suarez and the like if we don't get CL?  If we are a work in progress, and we don't get CL and lose a couple of our best players, then their departures would be another huge setback in this "work in progress."  I can't believe Kenny and Comolli were wiling to take those chances.  Kenny is synonymous with Liverpool Football Club and would not let us fall down into mid-table oblivion.

We've gotten away from the one touch, slick, pass and move football we were playing at the end of last season.  That's because we've replaced our most technically skilled players with inferior ones.

Downing is a passenger; Carroll is providing nothing; Henderson and Adam are not cutting it right now.  If we want to attract top players, we will have a rough time doing it without CL; we need CL next season; the current players are looking less and less likely to get us there. 

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #1144 on: March 5, 2012, 08:13:15 pm »
A striker who has pace and scores goals.

An attacking midfielder with pace who can hold the ball, pass and beat players.
#JFT97

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1145 on: March 5, 2012, 08:14:41 pm »
There are several realities that we have to face here.

At the end of last season, we were an excellent team, a team that legitimately would have qualified for the CL and had one of the highest point totals in the second half.  Fact.  We needed to address some key areas.  But not just address them in general; we needed to improve upon them vastly.  Fact.

John Henry said that not qualifying for CL would be "a major disappointment."  If we already had one of the highest point totals with the squad we had at the end of last season, then we only should have gotten better.  Henry said he wanted CL.

If anyone at the beginning of Kenny's comeback knew that Kenny and Comolli would get close to a hundred million pounds to spend on transfers, none of us would have said "okay, considering our already excellent starting XI, and adding another one hundred million pounds of transfers, we... still should not expect to get CL next season."  That would be absurd.  All of us expected it, including our owner.

And yet, here we are.  It's March.  And it is absolutely clear that we're not guaranteed a CL spot.  It's not even clear that we might qualify.

At this very second, we don't have a better team or squad than Chelsea or Arsenal.  The only reason we're even remotely in the race for 4th is because they've been so shite and underwhelming.  And yet, Kenny says we're fine, nothing at all happened in January, and he fancies us against the current competition---and yet, what if THEY improve?  Chelsea might get Hazard, or Cavani, or anyone else; does Kenny still fancy us against them?  I mean, how absurd is that?  we're already worse off than they are, and if they add even better players, we are still deluding ourselves into thinking we can compete with them?

For me, it's abundantly clear that Kenny's most important signings have been underwhelming.  Downing has been a disaster thus far.  Carroll the same.  Henderson is "one for the future" apparently, which means he's allowed to be underwheming now.  Adam has been inconsistent.  Only Enrique, Suarez and Bellamy can be said to be successes thus far.

And yet, Henry wants CL next year.  Is Kenny willing to bet his job on the fact that Downing, Carroll, Adam and Henderson will step it up for the rest of the season?  is he willing to stake the temptations from other teams for Reina, Suarez and the like if we don't get CL?  If we are a work in progress, and we don't get CL and lose a couple of our best players, then their departures would be another huge setback in this "work in progress."  I can't believe Kenny and Comolli were wiling to take those chances.  Kenny is synonymous with Liverpool Football Club and would not let us fall down into mid-table oblivion.

We've gotten away from the one touch, slick, pass and move football we were playing at the end of last season.  That's because we've replaced our most technically skilled players with inferior ones.

Downing is a passenger; Carroll is providing nothing; Henderson and Adam are not cutting it right now.  If we want to attract top players, we will have a rough time doing it without CL; we need CL next season; the current players are looking less and less likely to get us there. 

Hard to argue with any of that. We really should have been right in the mix for top 4 as the money that comes with CL football would have allowed us to build. Our failure to even be serious contenders (we haven't been in the top 4 since week 3 and have forever been on the outskirts of this battle) is very worrying considering the sparkling form we showed the back end of last season.

Offline kidnesiac

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1146 on: March 5, 2012, 08:50:29 pm »
Disregard the monetary aspect of the CL, and suppose we were to make it to 4th place: would we even have a squad capable of a long European campaign?  Are we in it to win it, or just midweek vacations for the squad?

I think we are nowhere near 1 or 2 additions away from a strong CL-caliber side.

Offline ۩ Maximus ۩

• Long lost cousin of Imperator
  • Kopite
  • I AM AN IDIOT
« Reply #1147 on: March 5, 2012, 08:51:52 pm »
Do not understand at all why we didn't try and sign a striker during January, intensified bemusement even further when you consider our goalscoring form post Jan 31st.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1148 on: March 5, 2012, 09:02:33 pm »

Agree with the bulk of you post, but wanted to touch on the bit in bold. Sure, it's disappointing to miss on CL again, no argument from any of us. But this was said before the season began and he didn't have a crystal ball. The top people at the club thought that the players they bought would do the trick of nicking a top four finish, but they didn't (and I think it's unrealistic to think that they would from now on). My take on this, and I have said it at the time, is that they didn't buy top players, they bought 'sufficiently good players' that will help us reach the set target. Borderline 'sufficiently good players'. But that wasn't good enough, and so much was already clear by January, wasn't it? And yet they didn't dip into the transfer market... So, yes they were disappointed, but not quite devastated, because another thing was also clear before the January transfer market closed - we were in a cup final (and they thought winning against a Championship team would be easy). I'm sure that winning the Carling Cup makes up for the miss on top four in some way.

You've also raised the question how are we going to attract top players without CL football. My answer is with trophies. We already won one and have a chance for another one. CL football is where every top player wants to play, I don't mean to downplay the competition, but it's not everything. When a player retires, he'd look back at what has he won over the length of his career. And let's examine the teams from the top leagues that have played in the CL but have won no trophies over the last 4 years (the average length of a player contract):
     England:     (we would have been here if not for the Cup), Arsenal, Spurs, (City would be here, but they can win the PL)
     Spain:        Atletico Madrid, Valencia, Villareal, Sevilla
     Italy:         Roma, Fiorentina, Juventus, Napoli, Udinese
And the list can go on and on to include other leagues...

Excluding financial reasons, which always play a role but are not related to the footballing reasons I'm laying out, there are only a handful of teams less attractive to players. In England that's United, City and arguably Chelsea, In Spain - Barca and Madrid, and in Italy - the two Milano grands and Juventus. So, if you were an ambitious player and wanted to win trophies, would you like to play in the CL with the teams above or would you like to win medals that you can show your kids? Players choose different things, some of them money, some the London lifestyle, that's understandable, but we don't need to attract those players.

The big difference is that winning this Cup took us out of that pool and put us in another - the winners pool. Arguably, any of these teams above can win a domestic cup and will gain some appeal, but we are there now, and we have to show that we're reforming and we're going places; it's not one off. That's what we have to sell.

Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1149 on: March 5, 2012, 09:27:26 pm »

Why can't we buy another DM and use two DMs, either 2 of Lucas/Spearo/New DM and give the 5 players ahead more attacking freedom plus allow the full backs the option to join in attack while the DMs cover? That would surely create some 'free-flowing',attacking football.

We could do that, but we have to re-think. Can we keep Adam, Henderson, Gerrard, Lucas, Spearing, Shelvey AND add another CM?

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1150 on: March 5, 2012, 09:31:57 pm »

Very hard to disagree with any of that, to be honest.

Why we decided to almost completely abandon what worked well for us at the end of last season is beyond me.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #1151 on: March 5, 2012, 09:36:56 pm »

yep.

Offline kidnesiac

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1152 on: March 5, 2012, 09:44:53 pm »
Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen has confirmed he intends to move to the Premier League. "I will not prolong my stay," he told vak410.nl. "I hope to move to a beautiful English club - a club where, as with Ajax, I can play for a long time.

"The atmosphere [in England] is fantastic. I'll certainly miss Ajax and Amsterdam, but I'm planning to hold onto my hone in Amsterdam."

---

He would fill in well at CB, LB and DM.

Offline blue.moon

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1153 on: March 5, 2012, 09:53:16 pm »
City fan in peace.

I watch a lot of Liverpool matches as many of my friends support your team. Here is my worthless opinion on what I think Liverpool needs:
Finisher + Winger + Creative AM or CM = Top 4 (or even a title push)

After giving it some thought:

Huntelaar + Lavezzi + Banega.

This could seriously push for a title. I don't know about winning it, but they fill everything that Liverpool is lacking.

Would probably cost 65 million. Maybe more, maybe less. Better than the 100m spent on the likes of Carroll, Henderson, Downing, Adam, etc....none of which are top class players. Add 3 top class players to Liverpool and your average buys could end up being quality squad players. Every team needs a good squad. (No disrespected at all intended by the way)

Honestly, a club like Liverpool deserves more top class players. I don't know if they'd come without CL football though.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2012, 10:11:18 pm by blue.moon »

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #1154 on: March 5, 2012, 09:59:27 pm »
Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen has confirmed he intends to move to the Premier League. "I will not prolong my stay," he told vak410.nl. "I hope to move to a beautiful English club - a club where, as with Ajax, I can play for a long time.

"The atmosphere [in England] is fantastic. I'll certainly miss Ajax and Amsterdam, but I'm planning to hold onto my hone in Amsterdam."

---

He would fill in well at CB, LB and DM.

I've been told by a friend of mine (Ajax fan) that this season he's had a massive dip in form, althouth it's been almost since i last talked about him, so don't know about recent games.

Anyways.. I think it wouldn't be a great sign to Coates if we signed another CB. And no, we've had enough of adopting players to different positions. Actually we have exactly same type of player, only ours is a better one.  ;)

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1155 on: March 5, 2012, 10:01:20 pm »
The squad was built last summer, this summer is about adding quality to that squad.

That's what I hope for at least.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1156 on: March 5, 2012, 10:02:39 pm »

The only problem I see with that, is you'd need a quicker DM than we've currently got, I still think that a 4231 is by far and away the best set up to start a game, incredibly flexible with the right personnel.
Masch was the best in world football at being the 'rapid 1 of the 2' deceptively quick across the ground, and fantastically adept in his role covering the full backs.
A player like that would have to be 'found' rather than bought, in fact, I can think of nobody who currently fits the bill ??
I genuinely am stuck   :-[ :-[
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #1157 on: March 5, 2012, 10:02:43 pm »
City fan in peace.

I watch a lot of Liverpool matches as many of my friends support your team. Here is my worthless opinion on what I think Liverpool needs:

Huntelaar + Lavezzi + Benega.

This could seriously push for a title. I don't know about winning it, but they fill everything that Liverpool is lacking.

Would probably cost 65 million. Maybe more, maybe less. Better than the 100m spent on the likes of Carroll, Henderson, Downing, Adam, etc. None of which our top class players. Add 3 top class players to Liverpool and those average buys could end up being quality squad players. Every team needs a good squad. (No disrespected at all intended by the way)

Welcome to RAWK mate, appreciate your input.

Maybe you could say a good word about us to your owners and give us a giftcard of 100m ;)  ;D

Offline ۩ Maximus ۩

• Long lost cousin of Imperator
  • Kopite
  • I AM AN IDIOT
« Reply #1158 on: March 5, 2012, 10:04:33 pm »
City fan in peace.

Huntelaar + Lavezzi + Banega.

Would probably cost 65 million. Maybe more, maybe less. Better than the 100m spent on the likes of Carroll, Henderson, Downing, Adam, etc. None of which our top class players. Add 3 top class players to Liverpool and your average buys could end up being quality squad players. Every team needs a good squad. (No disrespected at all intended by the way)

Honestly, a club Liverpool deserves more top class players. I don't know if they'd come without CL football though.

Seems to echo what we think aswell mate.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1159 on: March 5, 2012, 10:05:33 pm »
Welcome to RAWK mate, appreciate your input.

Maybe you could say a good word about us to your owners and give us a giftcard of 100m ;)  ;D
Don't push it, they already gave us Bellamy.... ;D
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.