Author Topic: Nokia finally admit something we have all known for years  (Read 29922 times)

Offline Des O'Connor

• Main Stander
Re: Nokia finally admit something we have all known for years
« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2012, 10:32:16 am »
I read The Verge for the articles and Engadget for the comments section  8)

Seriously though, The Verge have had the "iPhone 5 review" article in their top banner for an eternity, but we know there's only one reason and that's that Apple news = page hits from both lovers and haters. The lack of objectivity from the tech blogs I can understand, I mean it's pretty well known that Apple have writers from Techcrunch on the payroll, but actual newspapers ought to be ashamed of themselves for passing off these paid-for favourable reviews as news. I saw near identical articles on the Guardian and The Torygraph, as if they took their free iPhone, read the press release and obeyed. Some of it was cringeworthy, at times talking at length about the size of their hands. Just weird.

I just want one (or more) of the major tech blogs to break ranks and say "you know what, this is not what we want. This is a backwards step. Sorry Apple, not good enough."

Offline Des O'Connor

• Main Stander
« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2012, 10:40:38 am »
Engadget have actually published a number of articles about the 920 this week. Worth checking out, if you're so inclined.

Here's a one showing the OIS feature in action: http://www.viddler.com/v/68e56c78?secret=41750036

And here's a wrap up of all of the Engadget articles from their visit to Nokia House in Espoo: http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/27/engadget-nokia-house-wrap-up-stephen-elop-lumia-92/

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: September 28, 2012, 10:51:04 am »
Engadget have actually published a number of articles about the 920 this week. Worth checking out, if you're so inclined.

Here's a one showing the OIS feature in action: http://www.viddler.com/v/68e56c78?secret=41750036

And here's a wrap up of all of the Engadget articles from their visit to Nokia House in Espoo: http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/27/engadget-nokia-house-wrap-up-stephen-elop-lumia-92/

Your man was fucking awful interviewing Elop, he spent more time talking about himself and what he thought, it was plain awkward watching him.

Offline Des O'Connor

• Main Stander
« Reply #163 on: September 28, 2012, 11:05:01 am »
I didn't watch that one yet, nice to know it can safely be avoided!

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: September 28, 2012, 11:35:34 am »
I didn't watch that one yet, nice to know it can safely be avoided!

Aye avoid at all costs, it was hopeless, he had the CEO of a major company who is on the brink of greatness or disaster and he fucked it up, even looking at him annoys me.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #165 on: September 28, 2012, 12:17:21 pm »
haha and I think that he's a she, although I've never been sure. ;)

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: September 28, 2012, 02:27:52 pm »
haha and I think that he's a she, although I've never been sure. ;)

Away to fuck, no way, that's a fuckin' dude for sure.

EDIT: I was wrong

http://www.engadget.com/editor/myriam-joire
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:33:33 pm by ♠Dirty Harry♠ »

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: November 5, 2012, 02:05:27 am »
A friend of mine for the Lumia 800. It is a nice bit of kit. Really impressed with it.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: November 5, 2012, 09:48:37 am »
A friend of mine for the Lumia 800.

Nice trade.

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: November 6, 2012, 01:39:04 pm »
No where will be fully impartial but Engadget has a reputation for loving Apple too.

They recenty had to backtrack on an editorial attacking Google and Amazon for their low-priced tablets, while trying to justify the iPad Mini's price. To say that the comments section was openly ridiculing them would be an understatement...
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Des O'Connor

• Main Stander
« Reply #171 on: November 7, 2012, 09:28:15 am »
I went into the Nokia store in Helsinki yesterday and had a bit of a fiddle with the 920. I'm well impressed with WP8, and the design and build quality of the phone was incredible. It does feel a little bulky, as some of the reviews have said, but I don't mind a couple of extra grams in my pocket if the phone matches up to my expectations, which it does.

Definitely getting that as my next phone.

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: November 8, 2012, 09:31:59 am »
Tell you what I hate nowadays - the way most phone shops (Orange, T-Mobile, Phones4U etc.) use dummy phones in the shop instead of live ones. So if you want a quick play with a phone to explore the OS or to test the weight/feel of the thing you have to ask them to bring one out from the back.

I'd never messed about with a Windows Phone until a couple of months ago and went in to an Orange shop to have a go on the Lumia 800. They had to go in the back to find me one of the staff's phone to use!

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: November 8, 2012, 09:52:45 am »
Tell you what I hate nowadays - the way most phone shops (Orange, T-Mobile, Phones4U etc.) use dummy phones in the shop instead of live ones. So if you want a quick play with a phone to explore the OS or to test the weight/feel of the thing you have to ask them to bring one out from the back.

I'd never messed about with a Windows Phone until a couple of months ago and went in to an Orange shop to have a go on the Lumia 800. They had to go in the back to find me one of the staff's phone to use!

You'll find that a lot with Windows Phone, at the start when it first came out I nearly had to fight with the guy in the store to get me a HD7 out as he was that busy pushing the iPhone on me the c*nt.

I now currently own a Lumia 800 as my work phone, there are some things I miss on the windows phone compared to other platforms such as a central notification centre (which I believe MS are working on), 3rd party integration with the browser (last pass, pocket etc) and true multitasking, but otherwise I'm delighted with the OS & phone, it's the easiest to use on the market, it's fast on a single core, it looks fantastic and feels great in the hand.

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: November 9, 2012, 11:04:29 pm »
Dropped my Lumia 800 the other morning from the almighty height of 12 inches. Screen is now fucked and got to fork out 80 quid for a new screen.

And Nokia said the screen can take more or less anything you throw at it. Riiiight.
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #175 on: November 15, 2012, 09:53:33 am »
Well the 920 looks to be pretty durable..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yDEahsoa_N4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yDEahsoa_N4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

..but will it blend? ;)

Offline Des O'Connor

• Main Stander
« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2012, 12:06:25 pm »
..but will it blend? ;)

I love the top comment from that video:

I hear there will be a "Will it blend" video out eventually, but blendtec had to swap out blenders cause the 920 damaged the initial unit.
Sinistar24 13 hours ago 38 

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #177 on: November 24, 2012, 01:49:53 pm »
I went into the Nokia store in Helsinki yesterday and had a bit of a fiddle with the 920. I'm well impressed with WP8, and the design and build quality of the phone was incredible. It does feel a little bulky, as some of the reviews have said, but I don't mind a couple of extra grams in my pocket if the phone matches up to my expectations, which it does.

Definitely getting that as my next phone.

Just ordered one today.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: November 25, 2012, 09:29:54 am »
Rossi post your thoughts in here once you have had a play!

Can't decide between the 920 or the Ativ s

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: November 25, 2012, 12:36:20 pm »
Will do when it comes mate.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: December 5, 2012, 07:03:19 pm »
Right, i've had a chance to play with my new Nokia Lumia 920 and I must say i'm mightly impressed with it. :) The windows 8 OS is great. Really fast and easy to use and it really easy to navigate round. The camera is great, the sound quality is good and there are plenty of apps and games to choose from. Obviously not as many as on android or for the iphone but, more then enough to keep me going anyway. :)

Also I read reviews before I got it saying it was like a brick and too heavy. Well, I can tell you thats not the case at all. It fits nicely into my hand and my hands are tiny.  I've had it in my pants pocket as i've been working and not even noticed it, infact i've had to feel my pocket a few times to make sure it's still there.

As for the battery, well I had it on charge all night and took it off at 5.15 am. It now has 83% battery life left, but I must add i've hardly used it for anything today. 

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #181 on: December 5, 2012, 07:08:29 pm »
Good to hear, I've had the Lumia 800 for just over a week and am really impressed.  The hardware is rock solid and the OS is quick and easy to use.  Strongly leaning towards the 920 as my next contract phone.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: December 5, 2012, 07:23:42 pm »
Good to hear, I've had the Lumia 800 for just over a week and am really impressed.  The hardware is rock solid and the OS is quick and easy to use.  Strongly leaning towards the 920 as my next contract phone.

It's a really nice phone mate.