Author Topic: Night promises to be dark: you can't own my club  (Read 12973 times)

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
Night promises to be dark: you can't own my club
« on: November 8, 2005, 11:17:44 pm »
Yonder ground that has wept tears of compassion upon my people for a century, and which to us appears changeless and eternal, may change.

Great foreign Chiefs, unknown to and unknowing of the redmen, drunk with the power of excess money and weaned on strange and childish games, send word they wish to buy our club our team, our history.

Each chief also sends us words of friendship and good will. This is kind, since we know they have little need of our friendship in return.

But we will consider your offer. For we know if we do not sell, you may come with force and take our birthright

How can you buy or sell our spirit, the warmth of the people, the memories of our tribe, the hopes of our youth? The idea is strange to us redmen.

We do not own anything, we inherit dreams and pass them on unblemished to our children, how can you buy this?

Every part of this club is sacred to my people. Every shining trophy, every green blade of grass, every surrounding street and watering hole. The song which echoes through the Kop carries the memory of the redmen.

Your people forget the country of their birth when they go to walk among the stars.

Our dead never forget this beautiful place, for it is the mother of the red man. We are part of this club and it is part of us. The grass of our field carries the ashes of our fallen, its seed impregnated with their dreams and memories.

The scally scouser throng are our brothers and sisters; The Liverbird crests, the ancient flagpole, the body heat of the man close to fellow man - all belong to the same family.

So, when the Great Chief in whatever foreign country sends word that he wishes to buy our club, he asks much of us. The Great Chief sends word that he will reserve us a place so that we can live comfortably to ourselves. He will be our father and we will be his children. So we will consider your offer to buy our club. But only because we are powerless to prevent it ; but it will not be easy. For this club is sacred to us.

This shining water that moves in the great Mersey is not just water but the blood of our ancestors. If you try to own our club, you will receive no help or welcome from me.

If you succeed in your lust to own our club you must remember that it is sacred, and you must teach your children that it is sacred and that each ghostly reflection in the clear water of the Mersey tells of events and memories in the life of the people. The water’s murmur is the voice of my father’s father.
The red man has always had to dance to the drum of the advancing big money man, but your money will never own us.

The ashes of our fathers are sacred. The histories that they gifted us are holy ground, and so is this grass and ground, this portion of the earth is consecrated to us. We know that the money man does not understand our ways.

One “soccer” club is the same to him as the next, for he is a stranger who comes in the night and takes from the club whatever he needs with no regard to tradition or spirit.

We of the birthright and tradition are not his brother, but his enemy, and when he has conquered us, he moves on. He leaves his graves and fledgling traditions behind, and he does not care. Dreams and his children’s birthright are forgotten. He treats his mother, the club and his brother the redmen, as things to be bought, plundered, and sold like sheep or bright beads.

His appetite will devour the game and leave behind only a desert.

I do not know. Our ways are different from your ways. The sight of the clubs your type already own pains the eyes of the red man.

But perhaps it is because the red man is a savage and does not understand. There are many quiet places in the money man’s clubs.

No place to hear the unfurling of hallowed much travelled banners in early autumn or the songs of the forefathers. But perhaps it is because I am a savage and do not understand.

The silence of your “Experience” buyers insults the ears. And what is there to life if a man cannot hear the strains of “You’ll Never Walk Alone” or the arguments of the redmen around their pints at night? I am a redman and do not understand.

The Red Man prefers the sweet silver sound darting over the face of a Kop full of redmen.

The air of the Pool of Life is precious to the redman, for all redmen share the same breath - the same memories and the same sadness.

The money man does not seem to notice the air he breathes, driven only by the lust for possessions and money.

Money man, did your father tell you of the great glories his father saw in 1901, 06, 22 and 23? Did he tell you of the glory he witnessed in 1947, or of the wilderness years that followed so painfully soon?

Did he rejoice to share with you his son the glories of 1964, 65, 66, 73, 74, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 86, 88, 89, 90?

Have you since told your son of these deeds and added with him 1992, 95, 2001, 03 and 05? And told him of the songs sung standing where he now sits?

Or were you and your grandfathers drunk on the power of cash in amounts so obscene as to make the bankbook numbers meaningless to me and allow you to buy the dreams built by those who used cash as a means to an end?

The wind that gave our grandfather his first breath also receives his last sigh. And the wind carried spirit and memories to give our children the same spirit of life.  And if we must sell you our club and our dreams, you must keep it apart and sacred; its honour lies in building and creating, not in buying the finished product of some other foundry

The power of greed may enable you to buy our club. If we are forced to accept, the redmen will make one condition:

You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of our grandfathers. So that they will respect the club, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the club is our mother. Whatever befalls the club befalls the sons of the Mersey If men spit on the ground, they spit on themselves.

I fear that the price of admission you have in mind for my people will cleave the redmen to come from their birthright. We will live apart and angry. It will matter little where we spend the rest of our days. Our children will have seen their fathers humbled in defeat. Our warriors will no longer be of us and we will feel great shame, and after defeat they will turn their matchdays in idleness and contaminate their bodies with sweet foods and strong drink. It matters little where we pass the rest of our days. They will not be many.

But when the last redman has vanished from this club, and his memory is only the shadow projected onto the wall of the “Anfield Experience” corporate hospitality show, remember that those blades of grass will still hold the spirits of my people.

And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

And your money will have bought you nothing.

© VWA 2005
(with apologies to Chief Seattle of the Suquamish North American Indians 1786-1866)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 07:21:20 am by Zappa »
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Night Promises to be Dark- You Can't own my club
« Reply #1 on: November 8, 2005, 11:38:17 pm »
Well written mate.

if we are resigned to selling the club (not necesarily a bad thing) i hope things are preserved as you mention. For instance the affordable ticket prices and the preservation of the Liverpool way.

i thinnk part of the reason negotiatons are taking so long is to try and keep the same set-up in the board and inject cash itself into the club

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 8, 2005, 11:39:52 pm »
Bloody hell................. really moved by that.
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Curva Nord '77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 9, 2005, 02:01:16 am »
Well written mate.

if we are resigned to selling the club (not necesarily a bad thing) i hope things are preserved as you mention. For instance the affordable ticket prices and the preservation of the Liverpool way.

i thinnk part of the reason negotiatons are taking so long is to try and keep the same set-up in the board and inject cash itself into the club

Well written Mate. The Liverpool Way, what it means TO BE A RED - we KNOW what it is - outsiders DON'T - if they take the time to learn though....

:wave

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 9, 2005, 04:37:50 am »
The most beautifully written, original, and creative piece I've seen on the RAWK Forum.

Nice one, old timer. ;)
« Last Edit: November 9, 2005, 04:39:22 am by theCanadian »
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #5 on: November 9, 2005, 06:25:19 am »
Thats a great piece of writing Vic, nice one.
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline redannie

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: November 9, 2005, 08:31:17 am »
When I started reading I thought 'this is a bit flowery for football', but gradually recognition dawned.
A cleverly adapted piece and thoroughly enjoyable to read I shall hang it with my copy of the original.

Thankyou Zappa.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #7 on: November 9, 2005, 09:25:49 am »
Christ Vic, that's an absolute classic mate
near in tears this end

however

This shining water that moves in the great Mersey is not just water but the blood of our ancestors.

?

reflection in the clear water of the Mersey
?

Poetic license at it's best or have you been away too long  ;D
« Last Edit: November 9, 2005, 09:35:38 am by WOOLTONIAN »
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Olly

• Sees greatness from his sofa
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: November 9, 2005, 09:32:54 am »
That is excellent - very original, and describes perfectly my thoughts on continuing talks around investment.

I fear it will be a sad day when the money laden procession rolls in to town.
If you keep one eye on the past, you are blind in one eye. Yet if you forget the past, you are blind in both.

Offline WalkinAlone

• Anny Roader
Re: Night promises to be dark: you can't own my club
« Reply #9 on: November 9, 2005, 09:53:47 am »
unfortunately money talks.

do you want your club to slip back into oblivion

or do you want it to compete and get the best players?

Offline Captain-Carra

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Norbert Klopp. The Boss.
« Reply #10 on: November 9, 2005, 10:04:59 am »
Can't see how we would not keep the traditions and keep things the LIVERPOOL WAY.

This relies mainly on the fans and the players. We will do our part and you've no doubt that JC and Gerrard will always keep reminding others of the Liverpool history.

Chelsea had no history or tradition to carry forward. They were just another football club and they could have been any one out of the 92. As for utd, they long ago sold their soul down the river of corporate washout.

We ARE the greatest club in the world and our history, tradition and most importantly u the fans will ensure we always remain this way.

I welcome any investment that will benefit the club.
"The major civilising force in the world is not religion, it's sex." - Hugh Hefner

Offline Curva Nord '77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 9, 2005, 10:08:58 am »
Can't see how we would not keep the traditions and keep things the LIVERPOOL WAY.

This relies mainly on the fans and the players. We will do our part and you've no doubt that JC and Gerrard will always keep reminding others of the Liverpool history.

Chelsea had no history or tradition to carry forward. They were just another football club and they could have been any one out of the 92. As for utd, they long ago sold their soul down the river of corporate washout.

We ARE the greatest club in the world and our history, tradition and most importantly u the fans will ensure we always remain this way.

I welcome any investment that will benefit the club.

Agreed. Good post mate.

Offline Dick Emery

• Legacy Fan
  • You are awful but I like you
« Reply #12 on: November 9, 2005, 10:13:11 am »
The greatest threat to the traditions and values of this club is that they are being lost and diluted via a multitude of idiot 'fans' from all parts of the country who know fuck all about the club and what it is to be steeped in Liverpool Football Club from family generation to generation and from the cradle to the grave.

Offline The_Fisherman

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 9, 2005, 10:26:57 am »
Absolutely FUCKIN Brilliant

Well in skidder

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 9, 2005, 10:29:29 am »
Have to agree with Dick there to some way.

The Liverpool Way? Whatever the fuck it is, dont think it is there anymore as a whole.

Some will say the fans - quite possibly - could keep Anfield scouse but dont think you would fill it personally. But, either way you have to market yourself with a worldwide perspective thus it is only time before your fan base will consist of those from the wide world and not just Liverpool.

But, this Liverpool Way, went a long time ago didn't it? People will always say the fans but when was the last time we played football the Liverpool Way? A long fucking time ago is the answer.

The Liverpool Way? So, does this mean having a Spanish manager? No, it doesn't. But, hey it must be the fans.

The Liverpool Way has been eroded at many levels over a long time now.

It has changed. If Kraft can help us recognise, embrace and make that change a success, so be it.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 9, 2005, 10:42:31 am »
amen Vic amen
Yep.

Offline plonky

• Main Stander
  • Scooby on Stella
« Reply #16 on: November 9, 2005, 11:34:25 am »
The greatest threat to the traditions and values of this club is that they are being lost and diluted via a multitude of idiot 'fans' from all parts of the country who know fuck all about the club and what it is to be steeped in Liverpool Football Club from family generation to generation and from the cradle to the grave.

One of the downsides of the net

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #17 on: November 9, 2005, 11:40:05 am »
Very moving. We cant escape from the eventualities of mega-buck inverstments in modern football if we are to keep up with the top clubs. So far Moores and Parry have tried hard to retain the Liverpool Tradition and hope any investment will only compliment it.
Doubters to Believers

Offline Captain-Carra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 9, 2005, 11:54:08 am »
Could this not also be said of the players and staff from foreign shores?
"The major civilising force in the world is not religion, it's sex." - Hugh Hefner

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 9, 2005, 01:25:12 pm »
do you want your club to slip back into oblivion

or do you want it to compete and get the best players?

I don't really care as long as it stays recognisably my club to be honest

I've seen enough trophies to last the average football fan about 50 lifetimes

if the younger generation haven't, then they can grovel in the dirt for the dirty cash while I sup my beer and sneer at them in disdain

Offline Captain-Carra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 9, 2005, 03:14:58 pm »
I've seen enough trophies to last the average football fan about 50 lifetimes
Great post - if only JC and Gerrard had those thoughts at half time in the Attaturk, could have slipped out and avoided the traffic on the route back to the airport.

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 9, 2005, 07:08:19 pm »
Great piece Zappa - 150 years on, halfway across the world in another context & culture, it still works - what a speech it was -  all the more so when you remember it was an unwritten speech from an oral language  .....

It  should be on the front page.

Glad you didn't tell us that God has "forsaken his Red children."   ;)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 07:50:34 pm by nige »

Offline Overseas Red

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: November 9, 2005, 07:35:14 pm »
I've got a brilliant idea - let's forget about this clever and thoughtful post and start shitting on the OOTs.  What shall we talk about tomorrow - Wools, or whether Harry is crap?

Offline Skipper Gerrard

• Main Stander
« Reply #23 on: November 9, 2005, 09:47:31 pm »
I agree with the feeling of the piece, but the execution is too melodramatic for my taste.

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #24 on: November 9, 2005, 11:59:01 pm »
Great piece mate  :wave
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline CaseonKop

• Boys Pen
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2005, 12:17:53 am »
a quality piece of writing, really emotive stuff. Just a shame that some on here use these things as an excuse to slag off those of us unfortunate enough to have to live away.
Of Liverpool, but no longer in Liverpool, but a redman for life, at least thats what i was told by my Grandfather and my father after him.

Offline Captain-Carra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2005, 02:41:22 pm »
Just a shame that some on here use these things as an excuse to slag off those of us unfortunate enough to have to live away.
Of Liverpool, but no longer in Liverpool, but a redman for life.
Agree mate - shame that when u pay money (£100+) to go and watch the team v Villa you have fans singing about their hatred for wooly-backs. The one bad thing about our club.

Offline raemarc

• Main Stander
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2005, 05:31:03 pm »
Wake up mate. This world is a different world. Money talks...louder than ever.

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2005, 06:17:52 pm »
Well spoken  Chief  See-it-all of the Squeamish.

Your  words are pungent with over a hundred years of ancestral history.  The ancestral history  in which we are steeped and which is so tangible when we gather in our sacred ground, so tangible that it rises from the earth like the spirits of our ancestors. It rises from the earth of  the Red Men’s pitch like the steam off a police horse at Flagpole Corner on a  chilly day. It rises like the prices of club pelts rise at the trading post under the Look Out Hill. Seventy  of the Great White Chief Investor's dollars for a piece of shoddy nylon which will not last a  summer on the prairie or a winter even  in the sheltered valley ?  Sounds reasonable to me.   It rises like the admission prices, it rises like the  scent of  Bisonburgers  rises up from deep inside the bowels  of the Look Out Hill,  to tempt us out of our seats even before the half-time whistle. Ah - bisonburgers ! What Red Man  could  ever get bored of Bison meat and get tempted by the Great White Chief Investor's 'thirty percent steak' ?

In truth of course a  nomadic people was corralled into this reserve over  120  summers ago, and then 113 summers ago they were expelled  and a new tribe took the land. Our first Great Chief  took it  for  profit, and  for political advancement. He employed  fierce mercenaries from the Cold North Lands , and made his people great.  When the winters were hard and times were lean  your chiefs  again called to  the men of the North  and once again  your people were great.

But competition for resources is great and the time has once again come to seek help.Do not forget that your people, the Squeamish,  will be offered a larger reservation  within  the traditional tribal lands and all the traditions  will be transferred there. Your people, your spirit, your ancestors  are not a particular piece of earth or a particular pile of  stones, they are – as you yourself have declared so eloquently – as free-flowing as the river and as ever-changing as the sky. Your  ancestors are in the stars above looking down and their sprits should always remain in your hearts and your tribal memory… but that is up to us  all to keep it  alive.

Chief See-it-all of the Squeamish,  ours is a people who love exaggerated sentimentality dressed up in fine words … but we value our freedom too. Freedom to move, to pack up your teepees and take them to pastures  new where the pickings are richer. We need  brave  chiefs who can tap into these resources and are not afraid  of change, we need brave supporters guided by the spirits of their ancestors. The time is  now.

Now pass me that pipe again you arl Redskin. Good stuff is that.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 07:52:17 pm by nige »

Offline [delete]

• Grafton Irregular
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2005, 06:52:01 pm »
Class Zappa, thansk for that.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2005, 12:34:36 pm »
To continue the theme...

Only after the last great stadium has been knocked down,
only after the last child's mind has been poisoned,
only after the last local hero has been bought,
only then will you realize that people will not watch money

(Apologies to the Cree nation)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 12:36:53 pm by Red number seven »
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline red20

• Main Stander
  • is'nt this football lark great
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2005, 09:43:42 pm »
Brilliant :thumbup
"Bill Shankly 1913-1981 - He Made The People Happy"   And Bob made us even happier

Offline scouse and proud plc.

• Favourite Song: Eye of the tiger - Survivor. Favourite holiday destination - Siberia. Has a weekend drinking problem.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Alright Aldo........
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2005, 07:05:58 pm »
:wellin Class post that Zappa.

Offline Dickie Sam Cratchet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • A boy from the Mersey
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2005, 09:52:31 pm »

One of the downsides of Society.

Offline tellyman

• Kemlynite
  • f*** off chelsea fc you aint got no history
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2005, 12:05:44 am »
i remember the days jump on the coach ,que up and get in every game 50,000 why is it so hard now is it all these prawn sandwich brigade like man u and will it get worse ?
shankly is god

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2005, 12:53:05 pm »
That Vic, is fuckin immense. Top work there fella.

Saved to PC.

:wave

Offline Clayton Moore rides again ©

• Anny Roader
  • docendo discimus
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008, 06:56:21 pm »
prophetic
Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe.

Journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 10:28:29 pm »
Been reading this quite a lot recently, seems very apt at the moment owing to the current climate.

Chief Seattle of the Suquamish North American Indians wouldn't object in the slightest Vic, after all we are all Redmen till death!
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

hoonin

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2008, 11:23:01 pm »
That's just stunning. How sad though that it's so relevant now.

Nice one chief!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 11:28:02 pm by Gareth »

Offline Rafas legends

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • There are places i remember all my life
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2008, 11:59:19 pm »
The most beautifully written, original, and creative piece I've seen on the RAWK Forum.

Nice one, old timer. ;)
agreed
http://thekop.liverpoolfc.tv/rafaslegends

"That's it game over" Andy Gray 25/5/2005 20:43 pm

"You'd better start carving liverpool's name on this trophy" Andy Gray  25/5/2005 22:09 pm