Author Topic: Liverpool 1-1 Man City (2-1): (Gerrard, pen) Half time.....  (Read 90630 times)

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
Have to admit Im struggling to get too excited about tomorrow.

When the draw was made, I thought it would be a great tie, and the atmosphere tomorrow would be bouncing. Not so sure anymore.

If we do get through, so what? Honestly, so what? It's only the Carling Cup. Im not wuming, it's the truth. It's a trophy you pay little attention to when you're in the hunt for the top prizes.

Sure Id like to go to Wembley, and sure its been too long without a trophy. Ill want us to win as much as anyone tomorrow, but in all honesty, us winning this trophy would prove what? What would it signify?

I know it's been common recently to say that winning any trophy breeds a winning mentality. But does it? I mean, we won the league cup in 1995 and never won anything else under Evans. We won it under Houllier in 2001 and it spurred us on to win the 2 other cups. We lost in the final in Rafa's first season but still won the champions league and fa cups in successive seasons.

I've argued for a while that the Carling Cup is perfect for a big club starved of success (like Chelsea in 05, United the year after that, us in 01) and I stand by that. But I cant lie to myself, Im struggling to get too excited about tomorrow. In the grand scheme of things it means fuck all really bar a nice day out.

I know the old mantra about "Liverpool exists to win trophies" but thats quite clearly bollocks. I wouldnt swap the 06-09 years under Rafa after the FA Cup win for 30 consecutive league cup successes. We could win the carling cup for the next 4 years, but Kenny will be sacked if we're constantly 6th.

Sorry to be a downer, but thats how I feel at the moment. Think the last 2 results have knocked the stuffing out of me to be honest.

Well if we get to the final thats at least one red who wont be scrambling for a ticket...btw I think they repeat the Arches on Radio 4 around 4pm on Sundays if your looking for something to do.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I understand where you're coming from, but one thing to keep in mind is that life is short. there's only so many trophy celebrations any supporter gets to enjoy, why blow off any? if you take into account all the liverpool suporters around the world, statistically speaking the chances of at least one us not living to see another game isn't that slim. i know none of us think we're about to go, but why not just relish and cherish the good things that are in front of us like seeing Liverpool lift a trophy?

Agreed mate, and I aint blowing anything off at all. Just saying Im finding it hard to get too wound up and excited about tomorrow, even though I did a huge amount before the Stoke and Chelsea games in the same competition.

Maybe if we were dong better in the leage and didnt have a huge game on Saturday to come as well, Id feel different.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline verbal kint

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Was amazing but its nowhere near the same competition and you know it.

Unless the Mancs win it this year in which case it will be as big as the world cup according to the media, and their wonderful fans ::) :puke2
Somebody said recently that having Rafa as the manager means not giving a shit who you get in a Champions' League draw...........

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Any news on spearing. C'mon ya big baby. We needs ya ;D

Macca on football rumours is stating he's out for three or four weeks, he seems to know his stuff but take it as you will.

Gutted, bring Poulson back
YNWA

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
While I don't share Brentie's sentiments, I can sort of see where he's coming from.  Recent results have took the wind out of a lot of peoples sails.  Our next two games gives the side the chance to bounce back though.

Offline GonzalezIsARed

• Most prickless poster ever
  • Legacy Fan
Trip to wembley, first trophy since 06, guaranteed place in europe and a much needed boost to confidence before the united game. I think that would be a decent start. I can't wait and really really want to win this.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
Big game for Charlie tomorrow, seems to rise to the big occasion. Needs to seriously up his performance levels after the last couple of weeks. I have faith though that he can step up to the mark. I would go;

Reina
Johnson. Skrtel. Agger. Enrique.
   Henderson. Gerrard. Adam.
Downing.                     Bellamy.
                 Carroll.

Get men behind the ball, direct ball to Carroll and counter with the pace of Bellamy and Downing. We are playing against an exceptional team but if we work hard we can grind a positive result.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
I guess those piss poor results in the league pre CL games in 2005 took the wind out of peoples sails too!

Get a grip , put your worry beads away , dont worry there will be another disapointing league performance coming along soon, but as far as I can tell, this is the only Cup semi final infront of us.

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
Will the atmosphere tomorrow be booming??

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes

When the draw was made, I thought it would be a great tie, and the atmosphere tomorrow would be bouncing. Not so sure anymore.

If we do get through, so what? Honestly, so what? It's only the Carling Cup. Im not wuming, it's the truth. It's a trophy you pay little attention to when you're in the hunt for the top prizes.

Sure Id like to go to Wembley, and sure its been too long without a trophy. Ill want us to win as much as anyone tomorrow, but in all honesty, us winning this trophy would prove what? What would it signify?

I know it's been common recently to say that winning any trophy breeds a winning mentality. But does it? I mean, we won the league cup in 1995 and never won anything else under Evans. We won it under Houllier in 2001 and it spurred us on to win the 2 other cups. We lost in the final in Rafa's first season but still won the champions league and fa cups in successive seasons.

I've argued for a while that the Carling Cup is perfect for a big club starved of success (like Chelsea in 05, United the year after that, us in 01) and I stand by that. But I cant lie to myself, Im struggling to get too excited about tomorrow. In the grand scheme of things it means fuck all really bar a nice day out.

I know the old mantra about "Liverpool exists to win trophies" but thats quite clearly bollocks. I wouldnt swap the 06-09 years under Rafa after the FA Cup win for 30 consecutive league cup successes. We could win the carling cup for the next 4 years, but Kenny will be sacked if we're constantly 6th.

Sorry to be a downer, but thats how I feel at the moment. Think the last 2 results have knocked the stuffing out of me to be honest.

Christ, where to start ?
Actually, cant be arsed.

the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Midget

• R Kelly's love rival
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
If Spearing is injured should we play three at the back or trust that the trio of Henderson, Adam and Gerrard can plug the gaps in the midfield?

Offline Aaronb121

• Kopite
If Spearing is injured should we play three at the back or trust that the trio of Henderson, Adam and Gerrard can plug the gaps in the midfield?

Any combination of Henderson, Gerrard or Adam is asking for trouble without a recognised holding midfielder.

Not too confident after hearing the Spearing news, if it is true.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
will be interesting to see which players step up and make the big plays tommorow after the performance against bolton

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
A semi final and an fa cup tie against two sets of c*nts from a city full of shit.

If you can't get yourself up for these games then there's something wrong with you.

Come on redmen.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
brentie is right in a way because liverpool are a better cup team than league team at the moment

we have never replaced john barnes who was one of the main reasons why we won the title

20 + goals a season from a wide player and loads of assits aswell

so until we buy a top class wide player we wont be winning the title anytime soon

Offline Midget

• R Kelly's love rival
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Any combination of Henderson, Gerrard or Adam is asking for trouble without a recognised holding midfielder.

Not too confident after hearing the Spearing news, if it is true.

Especially against players like Silva and Nasri who can drop between the lines and cause damage. Spearing would've been a key player for us if he had been able to play. Kenny has some important decisions to make come tomorrow.

Offline ActiveSloth

• Kopite
  • Brendan Rodgers, he shakes his own hand
A semi final and an fa cup tie against two sets of c*nts from a city full of shit.

If you can't get yourself up for these games then there's something wrong with you.

Come on redmen.

:thumbup nice post.
So up for tomorrow. Tomorrow we will see how much the side wants it and I hope they put the bad results behind them and put us in the final

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan

You're so down you've contradicted yourself. Please give your ticket to someone who is up for it and go and watch Everton instead.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
I guess those piss poor results in the league pre CL games in 2005 took the wind out of peoples sails too!

Explains why the atmosphere against Chelsea that year was so lacklustre.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan

Get a grip , put your worry beads away , dont worry there will be another disapointing league performance coming along soon, but as far as I can tell, this is the only Cup semi final infront of us.

Just can't compare the CL to the League Cup.

Although to be fair I'm not sure how anyone can't get up for any single occasion, particularly a big one at that, Anfield WILL be rocking, and like I said, if you can't get motivated for tomorrow, then you're crazy.

Offline Dentron

• Eastenders Sci-Fi Spinoff
  • Kopite
Playing Adam at all without a real holding midfielder is asking to be beaten. I wouldn't play Adam either way. He doesn't deserve to be on the pitch.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
We've only lost one game at home since Kenny's taken charge. And tomorrow night a draw will do. Let's have them.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
Damn, we're going to miss Spearing tomorrow. No other defensive midfielder to plug in there. Just need someone to do a job and nullify Silva.
YWNA

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
Is Spearing not available? I thought he was close to making the weekend?
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Strangely enough, against all odds I was very confident about getting a result when we played them there... That turned out alright. But I'm very nervous now even though as Phil M pointed just above we have only one loss at home under Kenny. I think the only factor that plays for us now is the reaction to Kenny's slamming the players after the Bolton game, which may turn out to be an act of pure management genius...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
Is Spearing not available? I thought he was close to making the weekend?
Wasn't there pictures of him training last week ?

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
If Spearing isn't fit then we have to go 3 at the back because there is nobody to hold that midfield. At least then one of the centre backs can step in if need be.

By the way, I thought Kenny said he was close for the weekend and was having a fitness test. When he did it they said it was a minor tear I think so I was expecting to see Jay out there tomorrow.

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
Huge game for the club, the players and the fans tomorrow.

Bring your scarves and banners and help roar the team to Wembley.

Come on Liverpool

YNWA!!!
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
Huge game for the club, the players and the fans tomorrow.

Bring your scarves and banners and help roar the team to Wembley.

Come on Liverpool

YNWA!!!
Absolutely massive. The biggest for a while actually.

Defeat will leave a pretty bleak feeling with the Mancs coming to town sniffing blood on Saturday. Victory and a Cup Final to look forward to will make the whole world seem brighter and I would expect a win on Saturday.

I am also concerned about the grief Kenny could start to get which I could not bear and would ruin my affiliation with the club. A trip to Wembley would ease a massive burden.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
Absolutely massive. The biggest for a while actually.

Defeat will leave a pretty bleak feeling with the Mancs coming to town sniffing blood on Saturday. Victory and a Cup Final to look forward to will make the whole world seem brighter and I would expect a win on Saturday.

I am also concerned about the grief Kenny could start to get which I could not bear and would ruin my affiliation with the club. A trip to Wembley would ease a massive burden.

We're going to win both games. Have faith.

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
We're going to win both games. Have faith.
I think we will go through both too  maybe with a draw v City!!

However, if we lose the first and go out I will be very concerned re Saturday. Looking forward to a few beers in town first to get the atmosphere going.

Offline muffins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Well done, lads.
Please play better than we did against Bolton.

PLEASE.

Offline s_andrews89

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
As long as we score first tomorrow I think we'll be ok. I'm 100% Kenny will have the players up for this.

Anyhow... Someone's due a thrashing!  :butt might as well be City AND Utd!

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Worse yet, If City go through tomorrow, we may have to finish 5th (or 6th if someone above us wins the FA Cup) to qualify for Europe.

Massive, massive game!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline danbylfc

• Kopite
Love to see Shelvey starting tomoro.

--------------Reina------------------
Kelly----Agger---Skrtel-----Enrique
--------Gerrard----Hendo----------
Kuyt-------Shelvey---------Downing
-------------Carroll----------------
Twitter: @Stedanby

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
Worse yet, If City go through tomorrow, we may have to finish 5th (or 6th if someone above us wins the FA Cup) to qualify for Europe.

Massive, massive game!
So long as City win it then 6th place gets UEFA I think.....however, we will beat/draw with them tomorrow.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
If no Spearing, then it has to be three at the back. One of which will need to step out to fill in at midfield from time to time. 3-4-3. I doubt Bellamy will back up from Saturday.

Pepe
Skrtel Carra Agger
Johnson Gerrard Hendo Enrique
Downing Carroll Kuyt

The folly of not rectifying our shortcomings in midfield  :butt

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
This is the biggest match since Kenny took over. The lads should be well made up for it as should the crowd. 
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline FernandoTourettes

• Legacy Fan
A little concerned about the protection infront of the CB's tomorrow. If Kenny plays 3 at the back, he could be concerned also. I keep thinking Agger would be great in that role in front of Skrtel and Carra.

Silva is the biggest threat and none of our fit center midfielders are disciplined enough to mark him out the game.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
Please play better than we did against Bolton.

PLEASE.

Just about sums it up
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.