Author Topic: RAWK Preview: Liverpool v Crystal Palace Saturday 5th K.O.15:00  (Read 56298 times)

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Preview: Liverpool v Crystal Palace Saturday 5th K.O.15:00
« Reply #200 on: October 4, 2013, 01:24:18 pm »
With their current record, Palace would be crazy to come out all guns blazing. I think it is far more likely that they will look to stifle us and then try to get something on a counter or from a set piece.  Our attitude going in this should be to dominate and go for the kill from the first minute. 

Yeah - if Sturridge and Suarez are on form, then no doubt they will. The question mark is who fills in for Lucas. I think Moses has a good game here as well. He'll get space when Championship level defenders have their hands full with 2 of the best strikers in the league, and I hope he really gets stuck in tomorrow.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: October 4, 2013, 01:45:27 pm »
I think good odds on Moses to score against his former club.

Suarez defo to score tomorrow. First home game back for him!

He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: October 4, 2013, 01:47:45 pm »
From what I've seen Sterling is pretty awful at making tackles chasing back, careless and clumsy. I wouldn't fancy him at right back unless we think Palace are no threat at all down that side. He works hard no doubt but I don't think he has shown much instinct for that kind of role in matches.

I would play Kelly if he's fit and training well or Wisdom if Henderson is moving into the middle. Henderson is not great for right wing back but Palace are no worse opposition than Sunderland on what I've seen, though they've accrued a few more points.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #203 on: October 4, 2013, 01:56:07 pm »
Another early train from London - wondering what the balance of Palace/Pool fans will be on the ten past 9 from Euston!

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: October 4, 2013, 02:18:16 pm »
Nothing less than 3 points if we're to be serious about top 4 this season.

Hope to see Sturridge score and limp off at the 85th minute due to an "injury"

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #205 on: October 4, 2013, 02:41:44 pm »
]
From what I've seen Sterling is pretty awful at making tackles chasing back, careless and clumsy. I wouldn't fancy him at right back unless we think Palace are no threat at all down that side. He works hard no doubt but I don't think he has shown much instinct for that kind of role in matches.

I would play Kelly if he's fit and training well or Wisdom if Henderson is moving into the middle. Henderson is not great for right wing back but Palace are no worse opposition than Sunderland on what I've seen, though they've accrued a few more points.
There's a good chance Gayle will play on the left and he would be a handfull for Sterling
« Last Edit: October 4, 2013, 02:43:54 pm by rocco »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #206 on: October 4, 2013, 02:47:35 pm »
If we're playing Sterling on the right in a 3-5-2, then Toure takes the bulk of the defensive work, with Sterling doubling up, so it's not as scary a prospect as it seems. He'll be the more counter-attacking outlet if Toure gets a quick handle on that side. Meaning Palace's left back won't be able to push into the attack so much
Better looking than Samie.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: October 4, 2013, 03:05:03 pm »
True, Toure covered very well for Henderson the other day. I think Palace may play relatively direct into wide areas to try to exploit space behind and perhaps use cut backs or shots from wide men to get a goal (if Holloways is going with his 4-3-3, I'm not sure). Of course Holloway did us before at Anfield but they were different days and I don't get the impression he's the same guy at Palace (Blackpool is my hometown so I follow them closely, Holloway seems to have lost vibrancy at Palace).

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #208 on: October 4, 2013, 03:28:09 pm »
Sterling as right wing back? no doubt he did performed there in the Sunderland game and performed well there and was at Right back in one of the pre season friendlies.  But more square pegs in round holes again.

What about Mclaughlin playing there?  Highly rated and been pretty consistent for the U21's.  More a natural attacking wingback with Crystal Palace expected to sit back.  A home game and with Toure playing at Right Centre Back, I think that Toure would be a great teacher for Mclaughlin the game. It's been quite a while since Rodgers put some trust in the academy and now is a pretty good time to blood some young players in to see how they perform and whether they are physically and mentally up to it. 

And a home game non the less which would give some of the performing youngsters in the U21 some encouragement that if they perform well they will get a taste of first team action!

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: October 4, 2013, 03:42:34 pm »
If we're playing Sterling on the right in a 3-5-2, then Toure takes the bulk of the defensive work, with Sterling doubling up, so it's not as scary a prospect as it seems. He'll be the more counter-attacking outlet if Toure gets a quick handle on that side. Meaning Palace's left back won't be able to push into the attack so much
nice and Postive ;)

Offline Ronster

• A Real Man who doesn't like Girlies
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #210 on: October 4, 2013, 03:43:10 pm »
Looking forward to three points and another two weeks healing for our injured. Wondering whether we'll persist with three at the back and what are Rodgers plans for Cissoko are when he returns. I don't think this game will be straight forward however I think the score will look comfortable at the end. A sections banker. 
'When circumstances can not be changed attitude is everything'

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: October 4, 2013, 03:45:59 pm »
There's a good chance Gayle will play on the left and he would be a handfull for Sterling

Surely we should be focussing on how much of a handful Sterling will be as a wing back running into the spaces(and being more effective than Kelly or Henderson) created by Suarez, Sturridge and Moses pulling their left back and left centre back out of position. I mean we're at home to Crystal Palace. Just how much of the possession and territory are we expecting to concede?

When did the thinking towards 352 wingbacks change to being so cautious? I mean back in Euro96 England were using Anderton and Macca as wingbacks not the likes of Pearce and Neville.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: October 4, 2013, 03:51:27 pm »
Surely we should be focussing on how much of a handful Sterling will be as a wing back running into the spaces(and being more effective than Kelly or Henderson) created by Suarez, Sturridge and Moses pulling their left back and left centre back out of position. I mean we're at home to Crystal Palace. Just how much of the possession and territory are we expecting to concede?

When did the thinking towards 352 wingbacks change to being so cautious? I mean back in Euro96 England were using Anderton and Macca as wingbacks not the likes of Pearce and Neville.
exactly ;)

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #213 on: October 4, 2013, 03:52:32 pm »
I reckon the following:

Minge
   Mad Kolo      Mad Martin      Mad Marmaduke

Sterling      Hendo            Gerro            Jose

Victor

Studge         Chomps

Henderson deserves a go in the centre and a chance to play a more disciplined role yet with greater speed and stamina than Lucas.  I'd like to see a high tempo from the off, don't give them a chance to settle.

Oh, and a bit of an atmosphere at the old ground would be nice too, don't let it get too quiet lads and lasses, please!
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: October 4, 2013, 03:57:56 pm »
Sterling as right wing back? no doubt he did performed there in the Sunderland game and performed well there and was at Right back in one of the pre season friendlies.  But more square pegs in round holes again.

What about Mclaughlin playing there?  Highly rated and been pretty consistent for the U21's.  More a natural attacking wingback with Crystal Palace expected to sit back.  A home game and with Toure playing at Right Centre Back, I think that Toure would be a great teacher for Mclaughlin the game. It's been quite a while since Rodgers put some trust in the academy and now is a pretty good time to blood some young players in to see how they perform and whether they are physically and mentally up to it. 

And a home game non the less which would give some of the performing youngsters in the U21 some encouragement that if they perform well they will get a taste of first team action!

I'd love that, and I'm not really sure why we haven't seen more of McLaughlin to be honest. He's one of our most promising U21 players and has yet to get so much as a sniff despite us being pretty crippled with injuries in the RB position. He's fantastic going forward but still a natural defender so I think he'd really excel in a RWB role. He's 19 now, the whole point of our "fantastic" academy is apparently to supplement the first team and we've no fully fit RBs, why not give him a go? Flanagan and Robinson were both chucked in a fair bit younger and played against the likes of Arsenal and Manchester City. I think the chances of us seeing it are effectively zero, but I think it'd be a great idea.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #215 on: October 4, 2013, 04:02:40 pm »
3-5-2 with Sterling and Moses playing wide to stretch their defenders apart. Gerrard and Hendo in the middle with Luis Alberto infront feeding Suarez and Sturridge. Might be risky to be so offensive without Lucas as cover but their threat is through the middle and our 3 centre halves should be able to deal with that while their team worries about our attackers from all angles.

Spurs and Man U only beat them 1-0 and 2-0 with pens being the winners so it won't be as easy as most people expect, but if we get at them with an offensive lineup we should be able to our score them.

Offline Walk on, walk on

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone.
« Reply #216 on: October 4, 2013, 04:09:04 pm »
Sunderland did it last week as well. We beat them.

Disagree actually. Only Altidore did any sort of pressing, and later Giaccherini too. But their pressing weren't as relentless and as coordinated as Southampton's were. If Palace were to hunt in packs and press us high, they might force a mistake or two.

Rodgers knows this better than I do so he'd have a game plan for this. I hope.
Liverpool don't turn up against shit teams so Wenger picks the shittest line up possible.
The man is a genius!

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #217 on: October 4, 2013, 04:15:55 pm »

Minge

Victor

Studge         Chomps

What the fuck is this shit? What the fuck goes through anyone's mind to 'nickname' our players like this? Kinell!

Offline wah00ey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: October 4, 2013, 04:21:22 pm »
What the fuck is this shit? What the fuck goes through anyone's mind to 'nickname' our players like this? Kinell!
Woosh.  Having a bad day?
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: October 4, 2013, 04:22:57 pm »
Disagree actually. Only Altidore did any sort of pressing, and later Giaccherini too. But their pressing weren't as relentless and as coordinated as Southampton's were. If Palace were to hunt in packs and press us high, they might force a mistake or two.

Rodgers knows this better than I do so he'd have a game plan for this. I hope.

They did at the start, they got tired because it was based on trying to out run us etc, rather than any tactical positional pressing. If it happens tomorrow (it won't) then Palace will be the same. They may look like they're in a game when they go all hell for leather, but we should have the solidity in defence to withstand anything they throw at us, and have the presence to win the game in the end.

They won't be 'hunting in packs' due to any tactical approach to the game in terms of player positioning etc. It's a difficult way to play football actually, and I don't think the likes of Holloway and his current Palace team quite reach those heights.

Nothing to be fearful of. Respect them as they're still a PL side, of course. But we're 2nd in the table, have 2 of the best strikers in the league, one of the best defences and that should get us through tomorrow. I want to see a good win - by a few goals and a good performance, but I'd be happy if it turned out like last weekend to be honest. Decent enough performance but a 3-1 win.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: October 4, 2013, 04:33:17 pm »
You can't have fun (or a laugh) on the internet.  It's serious business...

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #221 on: October 4, 2013, 04:34:31 pm »

Looks like a great side to me
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #222 on: October 4, 2013, 04:38:30 pm »

No. I'm just mentally stable.

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: October 4, 2013, 04:40:05 pm »

I think you got a whooshed there mate. Had a good laugh myself.

I'm expecting a fairly strong win this time round. 4-0 to us.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: October 4, 2013, 04:44:14 pm »
I used to have a bit of a soft spot for Holloway until now. He's said he'd happily get battered just to hear You'll Never Walk Alone being sang.  "You know, it's worth a 10-nil hammering just to hear them sing that song." But then goes on to say that they'll summon the spirit of Blackpool to try and beat us. Spirit of fucking Blackpool, what the fuck is that exactly? A bit of nostalgia for a hat with tits on? A pen that you turn upside down so the bird's clothes disappear? A lollipop shaped like a cock? Winning a fucking furry toilet roll cardboard on the Kentucky Derby? A knee trembler outside The Palace? Stick your spirit of Blackpool up your fucking sand dunes, you massive twat.

Shut the fuck up you scrumpee swilling, tractor driving, hay chewing fucking yokel. Sick of this c*nt's soundbites and his charming amiable press presence. I hope we twat them 11 - 0 now. Not arguing the toss with anyone this week. We'll simply twat these c*nts. And come Sunday morning, I'll probably go back to liking him again.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: October 4, 2013, 04:44:59 pm »

Well said and this is exactly the point I want to make. We are playing at home to Crystal Palace. Chances are we will have a majority of the possession in this game. Sterling is more likely to be attacking the Palace defense then defending their attacks. Of course Palace will launch some attacks but this is where we must place some responsibility on Raheem to track back and defend our goal. Like many others have said he will have the help of Toure. I think playing Sterling RWB for a couple of games will also help his development. Anyway's it not as if Sterling doesn't track back when he plays on the wing for us.

Hope for a convincing win  :scarf
« Last Edit: October 4, 2013, 04:46:42 pm by stevie_legend_g »
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #226 on: October 4, 2013, 04:46:19 pm »
I reckon the following:

Minge

Victor

Studge         Chomps
I seriously need to tale a closer look at our squad! I don't know who half the players any more!

Offline wah00ey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: October 4, 2013, 04:48:25 pm »
You can't have fun (or a laugh) on the internet.  It's serious business...
I really thought those names were poor enough for it to be obvious...Although I do quite like "Chomps" myself.

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
« Reply #228 on: October 4, 2013, 04:49:38 pm »
Can Moses play on the right in the 3-4-1-2 formation?

Wouldn't mind seeing it. Just think it's time for a Sterling start, instead of an Alberto one. If that makes any sense...

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: October 4, 2013, 04:56:11 pm »
I really thought those names were poor enough for it to be obvious...Although I do quite like "Chomps" myself.

Got to be honest, I was distracted as soon as I saw Minge. Just like real life this internet malarkey isn't it?
Macca resplendent!

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #230 on: October 4, 2013, 04:56:24 pm »
I don't wish to be too complacent but we really should be beating this lot. Hopefully Sturridge and Suarez can run riot up top and I'd like to see Stevie get a goal. That said, we know just what these games can do if there isn't an early goal or it's a bit flat, so I would take any sort of win.

Offline The Smice of life

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • Those in glass houses
« Reply #231 on: October 4, 2013, 04:56:52 pm »
No. I'm just mentally stable.

I agree with welshred, some people are determined to get on rawk meltdown.
scouse lad and proud lad

Offline wah00ey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: October 4, 2013, 04:58:51 pm »
Got to be honest, I was distracted as soon as I saw Minge. Just like real life this internet malarkey isn't it?
I think Minge & Chomps are worth persevering with, maybe in that order only though...

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: October 4, 2013, 04:59:36 pm »

that's the dream.

Offline Walk on, walk on

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone.
« Reply #234 on: October 4, 2013, 05:00:50 pm »
They did at the start, they got tired because it was based on trying to out run us etc, rather than any tactical positional pressing. If it happens tomorrow (it won't) then Palace will be the same. They may look like they're in a game when they go all hell for leather, but we should have the solidity in defence to withstand anything they throw at us, and have the presence to win the game in the end.

They won't be 'hunting in packs' due to any tactical approach to the game in terms of player positioning etc. It's a difficult way to play football actually, and I don't think the likes of Holloway and his current Palace team quite reach those heights.

Nothing to be fearful of. Respect them as they're still a PL side, of course. But we're 2nd in the table, have 2 of the best strikers in the league, one of the best defences and that should get us through tomorrow. I want to see a good win - by a few goals and a good performance, but I'd be happy if it turned out like last weekend to be honest. Decent enough performance but a 3-1 win.

Love for this to happen mate! Would be happy if Suarez and Sturridge gets a hat-trick each and Aspas scores a couple of tap-ins. But just barely happy  :lickin
Liverpool don't turn up against shit teams so Wenger picks the shittest line up possible.
The man is a genius!

Offline macca888

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: October 4, 2013, 05:01:48 pm »

If I wanted to hang around a bunch of tits and fannies, I'd try Norwegian Wood massage parlour first. Feel less dirty when you come out.
Macca resplendent!

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: October 4, 2013, 05:02:47 pm »
In his pressa BR mentioned that Cissokho had been training all week and was in the squad for the Palace game. What are the chances of him making the starting eleven I wonder?

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #237 on: October 4, 2013, 05:04:19 pm »
In his pressa BR mentioned that Cissokho had been training all week and was in the squad for the Palace game. What are the chances of him making the starting eleven I wonder?

Possibly be a little too soon, but if the game is sewn up he may get 20 minutes or so I'd imagine.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: October 4, 2013, 05:11:40 pm »
Possibly be a little too soon, but if the game is sewn up he may get 20 minutes or so I'd imagine.
If I'm honest I sometimes struggle to understand which injuries mean what, in terms of the time it takes for a player to be back in training and the time it takes for a player to be ready for a competitive match! Really hope he gets some minutes at the very least.

For some reason I wasn't that excited by him signing (may have been something to do with the number of years he'd been linked with us and the fact that it's just a loan, for starters) but now we're playing this current system I literally can't wait for him to get back on the pitch! Reckon it could be the making of him!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: October 4, 2013, 05:32:42 pm »