Author Topic: Round Table LFC 1-0 Man Utd. chortle.  (Read 36048 times)

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Round Table LFC 1-0 Man Utd. chortle.
« Reply #80 on: September 3, 2013, 08:40:08 pm »
The second half of that game was always going to be what it was.  With Skrtel in the lineup, we were never going to be able to play the high line that Rodgers wants.  Additionally, with a less than 100% Sturridge and a team that had gone 120 minutes mid-week, I think Rodgers' hand was mostly played for him.  The decision was made even easier when we got the early goal.

Can't believe Moyes didnt take the opportunity to take the game at us.  I understand Rooney being scratched, but that starting linuep was pure negative football.  No goals, and no real scoring punch in 180 minutes against Chelsea and us.  Although, truthfully, that's Moyes's game and United shouldn't be surprised.

As for us, we have navigated a quietly tricky start to the season with grace and success.  Three league games, three goals for Sturridge who missed all of the pre-season and still is not at 100% fitness.  Three league games without Suarez.  A game against a physical Stoke team which was never going to let us play beautiful football.  A good win at Villa which showed in the second half that we are still not yet at peak fitness and then a tough fight against United.  To get 9 points from 3 when we arent even up to speed is a bonus.  The schedule opens up a bit for us over the next two months and we have until December before we get into the meat of the schedule.  Plenty of time to get Suarez and our new signings acclimated into the squad.

The next two games should afford us the opportunity to start passing the ball around and playing our brand of football.
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #81 on: September 3, 2013, 08:41:47 pm »
With Skrtel in the lineup, we were never going to be able to play the high line that Rodgers wants. 

Because of his lack of fitness or because you think he's incapable?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: September 3, 2013, 08:43:52 pm »
Its like PoP on crack  :-)

As for the game itself I thought we were the better team in the first half. Usually these games are either a standoffish affair, or something just short of a good scrap. However, this time we pressed them really high up and aggresively from the first whistle. And we werent arsed about making it a kicking match. I just dont think they expected us to do that to "the champions" and were a bit taken aback. And had no answer to it.

The second half saw them step up their game (a bit), but the biggest thing for me was that they didn't seem to have any real belief in themselves. No belief that what they were doing would result in them scoring - let alone going on to win. In years gone by this has always been my biggest dislike of them. The utter belief in themselves, (instilled by Ferguson) that they would always overcome.  That, to me, was the biggest difference on Sunday. It was gone. They might show it to a few other teams, but on Sunday, we were the ones that had an air of arrogance and belief about us. For me it showed massively. We werent scared of them anymore.

For me, the only player of theirs who tried to maintain that sense of invulnerability was Evra. Not sure whether thats just his nobbishness though.

Aside from the result and the points I think this was a massive massive victory for us. Still very early days but... Perches and all that.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: September 3, 2013, 08:44:48 pm »
And Sabu Pundit returns.

Our victory is truly complete. Minge Un-Knighted - truly genius. :lmao
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: September 3, 2013, 08:46:16 pm »
;D;D

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #85 on: September 3, 2013, 08:47:32 pm »
Because of his lack of fitness or because you think he's incapable?

a lot of both.  He wasn't match fit, but even if he was, I don't think that style of play suits him.  Skrtel is better when the play is in front of him.  But as I said, it wasnt just Skrtel.  Most of the team was not at full fitness levels and asking them to play a high line, press from the front for 90 minutes, after the mid week game, would have been suicide.  Moyes was hoping he could catch us with our pants down one or two times, he was not ready for a slug fest.  Personally, I don't think United would have scored if we gave them 90 more minutes.
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: September 3, 2013, 08:50:33 pm »
F'kin hell :lmao

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #87 on: September 3, 2013, 08:52:21 pm »
a lot of both.  He wasn't match fit, but even if he was, I don't think that style of play suits him.  Skrtel is better when the play is in front of him.   

I disagree. Skrtel has played in Rodgers system on may occasions and has been excellent. If what you've said above was true the manager wouldn't have kept Carra in the side all season given his penchant for hitting it long over the last few seasons when coming out of defence and clearing it at all costs over keeping possession. Skrtel is also quick and is better technically than he's given credit for.

Regardless, he slotted in beside his old mate effortlessly on Sunday and showed no signs of rustiness which was impressive.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 3, 2013, 08:58:14 pm »
Mr Car-Lot Hooray :lmao

Sabu is mad as a box of frogs - tremendous stuff ;D

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: September 3, 2013, 09:01:46 pm »
Forgive me but I'm using the Daily Mail's resources here fwiw:

Steven Gerrard v Man U

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/matchzone/index.html#s2013-c8-m694924

Fucking hell Phil, that looks like one of Slimer's wanking rags!

Not much I can add to the debate because it's already been said. But one of my Manc mates reckoned when Gerrard and Van Persie had their spat, he saw Stevie gesturing 1 - 0 with his hands. Not sure if true, but made me laugh anyway.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: September 3, 2013, 09:03:53 pm »
Great start, 3 wins, no goals conceded but our 2nd half performance was again patchy. Poor against United, N.County and Villa in the 2nd half.

We are sitting to deep. Last season a better United would have got the draw or even nicked it. Don't know if this run is going to see us close down in the 2nd half every time we go in a goal up.

We have to kill teams off. Carry on with this 2nd half syndrome, teams will take the chances and we will be back in the same
defensive rut that in the end stiffled the chances of Houllier, Rafa,Hodgson and Kenny.

Understandable against United but if we really want top 4, we have to kill off teams esp those outside the top 5/6. That's the way to amas points.

Good start and it mayby that Rodgers feels we have to protect leads as we really have only one striker and he's carrying a knock. But do not want to see these negative 2nd half tactics deployed once Suarez is back and Sturridge is 100% fit .
But do you not think we were comfortable in controlling space in the second half? Man Utd didn't really know how to threaten us so it made sense for us to play a fairly low block and keep our shape. It wasn't like United had their chances and didn't take them - they barely created anything of note. They had nothing between the lines and were very slow at moving the ball from the back. Our backline was slightly too deep on occasions but it was only minor issues to do with certain passages of play rather than a general thing. We weren't inviting pressure. We just saw what was in front of us, realised they were reliant on Van Persie to create something and made sure we worked hard and retained our organisation.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: September 3, 2013, 09:05:55 pm »
Stiffie is a potent player against the Minge.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 3, 2013, 09:12:54 pm »
a lot of both.  He wasn't match fit, but even if he was, I don't think that style of play suits him.  Skrtel is better when the play is in front of him.  But as I said, it wasnt just Skrtel.  Most of the team was not at full fitness levels and asking them to play a high line, press from the front for 90 minutes, after the mid week game, would have been suicide.  Moyes was hoping he could catch us with our pants down one or two times, he was not ready for a slug fest.  Personally, I don't think United would have scored if we gave them 90 more minutes.
I think most center backs are better with the play in front of them, that's kind of a given when you're the last line of defense. If you mean that Skrtel is poor when having to deal with a through ball played behind him, I don't really agree. He is more content putting the ball out in those scenarios which will be viewed negatively when the goal of a team is keeping possession, but that's not a defensive weakness. Think the fitness factors of the squad are where you're right on, and are definitely the culprit for not playing the type of game we'd generally be looking to.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: September 3, 2013, 09:21:12 pm »

We played so aggressively and it's no wonder our best players on the day were the defenders. I include Man-of-the-Match Lucas Leiva in that.
;D  It's a fine day when we are debating 3 or more candidates for motm. Henderson gets it from me and many others, Skrtel gets it off John Aldridge, Sturridge requires recognition for his continued returns, you sneak in Lucas and nobody is moaning about Stevie G's MF contribution. Great stuff.
Crudely it was to me a shitifying game with MU seemly having the greater possession even though they rarely threatened - the truth is we are very unsure of our team and although we are solid you fear we'll concede, well at least I did. Remnants of last season lingers.

Something's different though, so many things are different now. Our ability to hold a game has replaced our regretful "not being able to finish a team off". And we haven't even grouped properly yet.
We are more defensively competent without even having a settled back 4. All 4 of them were imo in great form, that's rare.

Aspas is the only nomination for a really poor performance this season, but the occasion was excusable I guess. And MU were't exactly brimming with all round great performances - RvP actually lost the plot in front of my very eyes. Although they don't resemble the force they were last year, the mentality and will-power could of prevailed, yet it was reversed.

We can't ignore that we've observed 3 wins with 3 indifferent second half performances during which you're desperate to end, although many will be insouciant about that providing the 3-points is delivered.
As usual I'm made up for the lads and in particular BR.

Offline Klopp-A-Delphia

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Numquam Solum Ambulabis
« Reply #94 on: September 3, 2013, 09:38:28 pm »
There was no delay on DirecTV in SoCal. I don't think that particular element was of NBC's doing, but they lose signal and now and then, way too many times during the previous game.

Thanks for your answer, but now I have another question. Where you watching on DirectTV via NBC, or via SKY or some other outlet?
Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/connorpatrick   or @ConnorPatrick

The magic is in the melody.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: September 3, 2013, 09:40:46 pm »
;D  It's a fine day when we are debating 3 or more candidates for motm. Henderson gets it from me and many others, Skrtel gets it off John Aldridge, Sturridge requires recognition for his continued returns, you sneak in Lucas and nobody is moaning about Stevie G's MF contribution. Great stuff.
Crudely it was to me a shitifying game with MU seemly having the greater possession even though they rarely threatened - the truth is we are very unsure of our team and although we are solid you fear we'll concede, well at least I did. Remnants of last season lingers.

See my advocacy of the Lucas-Mascherano pairing. You don't fundamentally need a flamboyant spray it 40 yards  to all corners player in CM. If you can make the opposition even more stilted in CM than you are, you're ahead in the most influential part of the pitch. Make the most of your chances and frustrate the opposition's attempts at fluency, and you have a reliable and cheap plan to fall back on.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline tellusajoke

• Anny Roader
« Reply #96 on: September 3, 2013, 09:42:54 pm »

Fucking hell Phil, that looks like one of Slimer's wanking rags!

:lmao
"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."

Offline deadsetred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: September 3, 2013, 10:02:09 pm »

Something's different though, so many things are different now. Our ability to hold a game has replaced our regretful "not being able to finish a team off". And we haven't even grouped properly yet.
We are more defensively competent without even having a settled back 4. All 4 of them were imo in great form, that's rare.

Aspas is the only nomination for a really poor performance this season, but the occasion was excusable I guess. And MU were't exactly brimming with all round great performances - RvP actually lost the plot in front of my very eyes. Although they don't resemble the force they were last year, the mentality and will-power could of prevailed, yet it was reversed.

We can't ignore that we've observed 3 wins with 3 indifferent second half performances during which you're desperate to end, although many will be insouciant about that providing the 3-points is delivered.
As usual I'm made up for the lads and in particular BR.

4, if you count Notts!

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #98 on: September 3, 2013, 10:12:54 pm »
Perhaps not surprisingly, Sabu's posts are incomprehensible to me.

I would say they're "all Greek to me" . . . but if they were, I'd actually understand them.  :wave
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: September 3, 2013, 10:21:19 pm »
Some brilliant posts so far.  I don't know how to tactically break down a game like some insightful posters on here but i just wanted to say i loved the passion and commitment the players showed that game.  When you look at the players we had out injured, the signings we hadn't finalised yet, the players still not fully fit after the cup game and we were really there for the taking.  I mean our bench for the game was Jones, Flanagan, Kelly, Wisdom, Alberto, Sterling and Ibe.  This was a game we needed to work hard and grind out a result and we did that.  Once you include Toure, Cissokho, Sakho, Ilori, Allen, Moses and Suarez into the squad than we can maybe expect to control and go at teams more often even in games like this. 

Also wanted to say i loved what the club did to commemorate Shankly.  What a brilliant day. 

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #100 on: September 3, 2013, 10:41:34 pm »
I've just watched it as have been working solidly, was really impressed with the fight the lads showed for each other. Controlled it well throughout but agree that Moyes played his Everton football (long may that continue).

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: September 3, 2013, 10:54:27 pm »
Plaudits to Hinesy for using the word chortle in the title. Haven't read it for about 25 years in my comic book days. Made me smile :).

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: September 3, 2013, 11:13:46 pm »
Perhaps not surprisingly, Sabu's posts are incomprehensible to me.

I would say they're "all Greek to me" . . . but if they were, I'd actually understand them.  :wave

They're like cryptic crosswords. There's some clever wordplay, based on similar sounding phrases, often with meaning mixed into it. Hence Minge Unknighted are those c*nts who've lost their knight of the realm, aka Man United. Car Lot Hooray is the guy who pretended to be a car salesman in order to carry on an affair, aka Kolo Toure. Stiffie Ji is the harder English cousin of Park Ji, who enjoys nothing more than stuffing the Minge.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
« Reply #103 on: September 3, 2013, 11:43:08 pm »
My day started with the most un-Manc journey to the match; I relocated to Preston a few years ago and the Mrs works in Southport so I used her car park pass, parked up there, and got the Merseyrail train to Sandhills and onto the Soccerbus to the ground. Obviously plain-clothed yet surrounded by Kopites, I couldn't help but feel deep in enemy lines.

As for the game; well Ashley Young dithered and contrived to concede a corner which we defended like twats and - as per my prediction in the pre-match thread of 1-0 either way or 0-0 - I feared the worst. A lot was made of Moyes' first match at Anfield as Utd boss and his previous exploits (or lack of) in big away games but that's 1 win in 7 now for us at your place; the rot set in long before our new man took the reins.

It's no surprise how Liverpool go about these games at home; always quick out of the blocks, in our faces, high tempo, and playing with plenty of adrenaline. Agger wanted that header more than Rio; 1-0. Shocking start. The away end tried to rouse the lads on but the amount of groans became increasingly apparent as the first half became littered with loose balls, square passes and Ryan Giggs. The last game I remember him starting on the right was 14 years ago in a certain Champions League Final; we were shit that day, we were shit on Sunday, and this time there was no 'get out of jail' act in stoppage time.

Nor, at any point, did it look like there would be. Yes, we had plenty of the ball but I expected that second half having watched Liverpool this season where they seem to have tired in games and also bearing in mind the 120 minutes that some of the players had vs Notts County. We huffed and puffed, tried to work angles across the pitch to get down the sides of Agger and Skrtel, but we didn't move the ball quick enough. Carrick had a strangely poor game; Cleverley was his usual 6/10 self, and our wide men are all out of form. Good to see Nani and Hernandez back; they gave us a little bit more spark, but nowhere near enough to break a stubborn rearguard.

Disappointed with the result, a bit 'meh' about the performance, but not surprised by either and just glad our yearly, spineless Anfield showing is over and done with.

Offline LucasLeiva

• Anny Roader
  • Remember My Name
« Reply #104 on: September 3, 2013, 11:50:40 pm »
Sorry but has anyone got a link to the full game (with sky sports analysis etc if possible)? Would like to have a second viewing and I enjoy pundit's opinions  :)

Thought we were excellent, we never needed to attack them because of the early goal, wasn't a poor performance but a tactically astute one, best I've seen us defensively since Rafa. Once Luis gets back we will hopefully add that important second goal for insurance, not that he should just walk back into the team mind.

Stevie G was my MOTM, just for his pure leadership and control of the game. I fear him getting an injury more than anyone because of what he brings to this team. Johnson, Lucas, Hendo and Skrtel were excellent and I'd like to add that even simple things are so important like how Mignolet holds onto powerful shots instead of parrying them.

Agger was a beast again, more expected of him so doesn't get noticed as much but he was solid.

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: September 3, 2013, 11:56:27 pm »
Carrick had a strangely poor game

Aspas had a lot to do with that. He was fairly poor on the ball but off it he positioned himself to stop United passing to Carrick and when Carrick was in possession he pressed him well, more often than not. He stopped United finding a rhythm and really helped us take control of the first half after an initially even first twenty minutes.

It wasn't surprising that after (a seemingly tired) Coutinho moved into the centre United started to turn the screw a bit more and start playing with a bit of rhythm. It might not have been the best game to experiment, but I don't know if playing Sterling in the hole might have been a better option. Coutinho was doing well enough against Valencia and the threat Raheem's pace could have helped push United back.

Offline Resurrected

• No longer active on the forum.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: September 4, 2013, 12:08:43 am »
I don't think it's any coincidence that we've played 3 matches now, and used similar tactics in each of them; First half goal and shut up shop. And i must say that i'm extremely pleased at the discipline we've shown. This is something that will serve us well for the future. After the last 20 years of seeing the team snatch defeat or draws from the jaws of victory, it made a refreshing change to see us controlling a rearguard action.

I made a comment in another thread that Man Utd brought a record 20 league titles into the game, but unfortunately for them, they also brought David Moyes too. He's always been too defensive minded for my money and i think he's trying to get a more defensive balance to his team. The present Man Utd team aren't built for that. Their attack relies on quick passing which needs options to move the ball through the opposition. With his 2 centre midfielders sitting deep, he starves the service to his expensive attackers, allowing some-one like Lucas to choke any service to the likes of RVP.

So overall, i'm happy at the performance and result. We're getting better at this defending a lead lark and there's only one way i see the mancs going. Down.

Edit: Another vote for Henderson MOM.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2013, 12:10:38 am by Resurrected »

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #107 on: September 4, 2013, 12:24:39 am »

Thanks, good post. Also.....

SABU!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #108 on: September 4, 2013, 01:15:23 am »
Sorry but has anyone got a link to the full game (with sky sports analysis etc if possible)? Would like to have a second viewing and I enjoy pundit's opinions  :)

Thought we were excellent, we never needed to attack them because of the early goal, wasn't a poor performance but a tactically astute one, best I've seen us defensively since Rafa. Once Luis gets back we will hopefully add that important second goal for insurance, not that he should just walk back into the team mind.

Stevie G was my MOTM, just for his pure leadership and control of the game. I fear him getting an injury more than anyone because of what he brings to this team. Johnson, Lucas, Hendo and Skrtel were excellent and I'd like to add that even simple things are so important like how Mignolet holds onto powerful shots instead of parrying them.

Agger was a beast again, more expected of him so doesn't get noticed as much but he was solid.

I tend to use this one.

http://www.matchhighlight.com/

"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #109 on: September 4, 2013, 01:26:50 am »
The away end tried to rouse the lads on but the amount of groans became increasingly apparent as the first half became littered with loose balls, square passes and Ryan Giggs.

Singing "We're shit and we're champions" isn't really going to get your lot going to be fair.....Unless my ears deceived me of course?

"Yearly spineless showing" Sounds like an away team I knew once that used to play at OT in the 80's.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
« Reply #110 on: September 4, 2013, 01:51:23 am »
Singing "We're shit and we're champions" isn't really going to get your lot going to be fair.....Unless my ears deceived me of course?

A retort to the cries of 'SHIT' after each 'UNITED' when we'd chant 'United, United, United' - I don't know the stand name but it was aimed back at the section to our right near the corner flag.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: September 4, 2013, 01:51:54 am »
Mr Car Lot Hooray – Mr Stiffy-ji

Don't want to clutter up the round table thread, but have to applaud, especially these two gems. :wellin

For the last several years, we've often dominated games, and come away with nothing, including against bigger teams. We'd make some mistake at the back, or more than one probably, and undo all the good work.

Now, we can sit back even against the champions and let them come at us, confident that we can withstand whatever they throw at us. Clearly there will be games in the future where we'll need more than one goal to win, or even draw, but it's a pretty nice feeling...

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: September 4, 2013, 02:01:46 am »
A retort to the cries of 'SHIT' after each 'UNITED' when we'd chant 'United, United, United' - I don't know the stand name but it was aimed back at the section to our right near the corner flag.
Aaaah you mean 'The honest as the day is long, tells it how it is' stand.

They can can irk at times, can't they.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #113 on: September 4, 2013, 02:04:16 am »
Plaudits to Hinesy for using the word chortle in the title. Haven't read it for about 25 years in my comic book days. Made me smile :).

Ain't that just Dandy..........or maybe it's Beezer!
« Last Edit: September 4, 2013, 02:07:20 am by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
« Reply #114 on: September 4, 2013, 02:06:51 am »
Aaaah you mean 'The honest as the day is long, tells it how it is' stand.

They can can irk at times, can't they.

;)

Nice of them all to keep offering us a high-five, though.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: September 4, 2013, 02:13:27 am »
;)

Nice of them all to keep offering us a high-five, though.
We've been americanised since 2005.

Tell you what tho - your teams demeanour was not one I'd seen before. Very?........ nervy - if thats the right word.

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
« Reply #116 on: September 4, 2013, 02:22:34 am »
We've been americanised since 2005.

Tell you what tho - your teams demeanour was not one I'd seen before. Very?........ nervy - if thats the right word.

I thought it was very typical Anfield performance from us so on the contrary it felt like I'd seen it all before. But I did notice that we looked frightened to attempt a killer pass or ambitious through ball in fear of giving it away; it was all side-to-side and down the flanks but not much between the lines into Van Persie etc. A lot of 'safe' passing. Carrick started hitting some longer diagonals in the second half but otherwise, no-one had the bollocks or the ability to play penetrative passes; summed up by our last-minute counter attack when Cleverley played a poor ball down the right which Enrique easily intercepted.

Offline Spraynard Kruger

• Wholeheartedly supports the cause but would stay seated in a walk-out protest cos, you know, it's so expensive to get to the game, so doesn't wholeheartedly support after all and misses the point completely. All in one sentence. Wow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: September 4, 2013, 02:38:36 am »
In terms of Aspas I think you can tell he is still adjusting to the pace of the league. But I think he still played his part. He made some good runs that could have gotten him a shot or two to score had Sturridge been thinking pass instead of shoot. Also his workrate was quite good and nearly got Carrick sent off single handily.

I feel like with a run of games coming up against lower clubs in the table we are going to see his name on the scoresheet quite soon.
"Sometimes you have to just chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is." - Daniel Sturridge

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #118 on: September 4, 2013, 03:41:23 am »
In terms of Aspas I think you can tell he is still adjusting to the pace of the league. But I think he still played his part. He made some good runs that could have gotten him a shot or two to score had Sturridge been thinking pass instead of shoot. Also his workrate was quite good and nearly got Carrick sent off single handily.

I feel like with a run of games coming up against lower clubs in the table we are going to see his name on the scoresheet quite soon.

I think poor Iago had 'one of those games' where he tried his best and pretty much (not quite) NOTHING came off for him.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Not2Xabi

• Anny Roader
  • AKA Glen Morangie - The 17th man of Tain!
« Reply #119 on: September 4, 2013, 03:49:52 am »
It was a battle of wits between Cleverley and Wisdom.

And Cleverley was plainly unarmed! :P
"People will generally only accept facts as truth if they agree with what they already believe" Rafa would have done well to remember that before trying to make everyone aware of the "Facts", which, in the absence of the Govan tramp down the East Lancs Road, should now be obvious to everyone....3 penalties in 1 game at Old Trafford - indeed