Author Topic: RAWK Preview Liverpool v Stoke City 12:45pm August 17th  (Read 53109 times)

Offline simply_red

• Holding back the tears. Of negativity. Utter negativity.
  • Kopite
Re: RAWK Preview Liverpool v Stoke City 12:45pm August 17th
« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2013, 05:05:02 pm »
If henderson plays expect a win. Typical example of the game he seems to shine in

Typical example of the game where he can show his weakness - lack of vision for incisive passes.
kopblocks.com

FSG out.

Offline El_Pistolero7

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird upon my chest...
« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2013, 05:56:57 pm »
Can see this being a typical Liverpool home game to be honest. 1-0 (Coutinho 75)

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2013, 06:14:44 pm »
Still not convinced we'll win although getting rid of our last season's demons in the first game would be great.

Sit in a packed defence, frustrate us and score a couple goals from set pieces, long throws and corners and we're fucked.
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Kop10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2013, 07:03:57 pm »
A high-score to nil is the one scoreline I can't foresee in this game. If we score early, stoke will besiege our goal with all sort of direct balls and press high. Guys like Crouch, Kenwyne Jones, Walters will turn it into a battle. I don't think we're equipped AT ALL to deal with that.

Also, first games are always unique in that every team is buoyed by the fresh slate and will not want to lose points without a fight. This game won't be won by skill alone, in my opinion. It will test the mentality of our side and show how badly we want it this season.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:06:07 pm by Kop10 »
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too. One year we came second." - Bob Paisley

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2013, 07:07:35 pm »
A high-score to nil is the one scoreline I can't foresee in this game. If we score early, stoke will besiege our goal with all sort of direct balls and press high. Guys like Crouch, Kenwyne Jones, Walters will turn it into a battle. I don't think we're equipped AT ALL to deal with that.

Also, first games are always unique in that every team is buoyed by the fresh slate and will not want to lose points without a fight. This game won't be won by skill alone, in my opinion. It will test the mentality of our side and show how badly we want it this season.

Which would play right into our hands given that we have now added counterattacking patterns to our game, especially if Sturridge starts. Aspas, Sturridge, Coutinho and Sterling will eat that space up, forcing them to drop off again, meaning our possession game and a higher line will be reinstated.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2013, 07:09:55 pm »
Still not convinced we'll win although getting rid of our last season's demons in the first game would be great.

Sit in a packed defence, frustrate us and score a couple goals from set pieces, long throws and corners and we're fucked.
Exactly what I think will happen unless we score in first 5-10 mins

Offline Kop10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2013, 07:16:18 pm »
Which would play right into our hands given that we have now added counterattacking patterns to our game, especially if Sturridge starts. Aspas, Sturridge, Coutinho and Sterling will eat that space up, forcing them to drop off again, meaning our possession game and a higher line will be reinstated.

Maybe, as you say, the new personnel will be able to exploit them better. I was just thinking back to last season at the way they pressed us all over the pitch at their place when we got that early goal. Southampton also managed it with a similar gameplan?!?!

I can see now how our new guys can take advantage though. We'll see how it goes.

"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too. One year we came second." - Bob Paisley

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: August 14, 2013, 07:18:54 pm »
Maybe, as you say, the new personnel will be able to exploit them better. I was just thinking back to last season at the way they pressed us all over the pitch at their place when we got that early goal. Southampton also managed it with a similar gameplan?!?!

I can see now how our new guys can take advantage though. We'll see how it goes.

They have a different manager, different game-plan, and we have different players and an improved one. If you look at Stoke's friendlies this pre-season, they have played with a lot more space between the lines, and a lot more passing, which they seem to be unsure of. If we can push up and play the game in their half, I think they will be put outside their comfort zones a bit, and that's when we can take advantage.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #168 on: August 14, 2013, 07:23:22 pm »
The negativity in here before we've even kicked a ball competitively is shocking! If we can't even believe, who the fuck will!

Offline professorj

• Main Stander
  • OG__ on the old Shanklygates forum...
« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2013, 07:23:39 pm »
It will be very interesting to see if 'this' Stoke is anything like a Tony Pulis Stoke.  I am not sure what Hughes' record vs LFC is as a manager but I don't think it's all that great, and the reason why Pulis was so effective as a coach was he really really drilled his team brilliantly.  They would always have a plan of action and always seem to carry it out on the pitch for him. I just don't think Hughes would even know how to drill a team that professionally and rigidly, and that is what he needs to do to carry on that stubborn Stoke  'awkwardness' for want of a better term, that's kept them up for so long now. 

Personally I think he'll be the first to go of all the managers this season, if I had to name one, perhaps this is the first nail in the proverbial coffin.

3-0 Coutinho brace, Gerrard.
Remember kids: Say no to the Owl...

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2013, 07:28:57 pm »
They have a different manager, different game-plan, and we have different players and an improved one. If you look at Stoke's friendlies this pre-season, they have played with a lot more space between the lines, and a lot more passing, which they seem to be unsure of. If we can push up and play the game in their half, I think they will be put outside their comfort zones a bit, and that's when we can take advantage.
Your keen if you have been watching Stokes pre season matches!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: August 14, 2013, 07:31:49 pm »
Your keen if you have been watching Stokes pre season matches!

I'll watch any game that involves two teams kicking a ball into a goal. And England :D

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: August 14, 2013, 07:34:11 pm »
I'll watch any game that involves two teams kicking a ball into a goal. And England :D
Keep it up mate, your knowledge of these games and potential opponents is appreciated.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 14, 2013, 07:35:32 pm »
It would be great to get out of the gate quickly and win this one. Im sure in all the various posts on RAWK in regards to us attaining top 4 finish these are the games that are a must win as we have to win most home games against teams that will probably finish outside the top 8. Stoke surely will be up for it, first game of the season with a new manager so keen to impress so expect a tight game where any space and chances will be hard won. Not sure how much of preseason form will go towards picking the first 11 but like to see something like the below

.............Mignolet
Johnson Toure Agger Enrique
.................Lucas
 Coutinho SG Henderson Aspas
.........Sturridge

Bit strange to have a lineup without Pepe and Carragher and lot of new names there since the start of last season. The pressure will be on to do the biz without the mad man so heres hoping
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Vortigen

• Anny Roader
« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2013, 08:05:37 pm »
It will be very interesting to see if 'this' Stoke is anything like a Tony Pulis Stoke.  I am not sure what Hughes' record vs LFC is as a manager but I don't think it's all that great, and the reason why Pulis was so effective as a coach was he really really drilled his team brilliantly.  They would always have a plan of action and always seem to carry it out on the pitch for him. I just don't think Hughes would even know how to drill a team that professionally and rigidly, and that is what he needs to do to carry on that stubborn Stoke  'awkwardness' for want of a better term, that's kept them up for so long now. 

Personally I think he'll be the first to go of all the managers this season, if I had to name one, perhaps this is the first nail in the proverbial coffin.

3-0 Coutinho brace, Gerrard.
I think for this game at least, it will be just like the Stoke of old.  Hoofing and fouling on rotation all the way to a nil-nil draw.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2013, 08:09:54 pm »
I think for this game at least, it will be just like the Stoke of old.  Hoofing and fouling on rotation all the way to a nil-nil draw.

Could be the other way round if what PoP is saying is true (which I have no reason to doubt), they might start the season trying to play better football (as I assume that's what Hughes promised), but as soon as that fails Hughes will no doubt revert to type. In that sense we could actually be lucky playing them so early with a type of football their manager and players are unused to. It definitely plays more into our hands than them trying to kick the shit out of us anyway.

Offline Vortigen

• Anny Roader
« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2013, 08:18:16 pm »
Could be the other way round if what PoP is saying is true (which I have no reason to doubt), they might start the season trying to play better football (as I assume that's what Hughes promised), but as soon as that fails Hughes will no doubt revert to type. In that sense we could actually be lucky playing them so early with a type of football their manager and players are unused to. It definitely plays more into our hands than them trying to kick the shit out of us anyway.
Oh I'd love nothing more than Stoke to come out and try to play football.  We are much better than Stoke at football. 

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #177 on: August 16, 2013, 10:16:47 pm »
Why's the forum been down for past few days?!  :'(

Offline locultom

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #178 on: August 16, 2013, 10:17:17 pm »
Hello...anybody here...feels like trespassing
No-one wants to stay in the Travelodge by choice. It's always a last resort. No-ones thinking, Id love to stay in a room so blandly anonymous that it looks like the burial chamber of the king of an ancient civilisation which valued above all bland anonymity.

Offline P45

• Self-confessed UKIP Supporter too tight to dip into his pocket and become a RAWK Supporter yet bleats on this site about his democratic right to display his ignorance. Okay.....
  • Kopite
  • Always optimistic
« Reply #179 on: August 16, 2013, 10:18:32 pm »
Come on the red men.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2013, 10:18:52 pm »
Hello...anybody here...feels like trespassing
Hi everyone! Welcome back RAWK!!
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2013, 10:18:59 pm »
Why's the forum been down for past few days?!  :'(

Hosts moving servers that was supposed to take 3 hours.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2013, 10:19:08 pm »
Fucking whoooooooooooooooooooooooop!

Fuck the 3-points, appreciate life. RAWK lives!

Offline Bruce88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2013, 10:21:27 pm »
Ah, we're back, just in time :)

Offline Lucaspool FC

• Kopite
« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2013, 10:22:22 pm »
Let's go!! :)

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2013, 10:22:24 pm »
Can I be the first/twelfth to say arrghhhhhh. Thanks and please make the servers work without interruption in future - this place is part of my day now!

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2013, 10:24:31 pm »
well done to rawk back up and running before the season starts lets hope we get 2 new players early next week

Offline swedish_pete

• Kemlynite
« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2013, 10:25:25 pm »
...so...Aspas...Sturridge...or both? Take it away.

Offline XabiGerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2013, 10:26:12 pm »
It's good to have the site back! Come on Red men, lets start with 3 points!

Offline Shankly84

• Main Stander
« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2013, 10:29:49 pm »

Both. Aspas out wide with sterling/ibe on the opposite side. Little phil in behind sturridge and Stevie and Lucas sat in the middle

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2013, 10:35:31 pm »

Both for me but wouldn't mind Sterling starting either.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2013, 10:35:34 pm »
RAWK's back. A good omen before the start of the season :D
3-0, SG, Coutinho, and Aspas... Come on, we will lead the table ...
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #192 on: August 16, 2013, 10:36:27 pm »
We only need a draw and we'll be top of the league.

Offline krizzobizzle

• Mr Fun at a party near you soon!
  • Kopite
« Reply #193 on: August 16, 2013, 10:36:57 pm »
Early goal crucial. Lets score inside 10-15 mins for a change hey.

Offline swedish_pete

• Kemlynite
« Reply #194 on: August 16, 2013, 10:37:53 pm »
Both. Aspas out wide with sterling/ibe on the opposite side. Little phil in behind sturridge and Stevie and Lucas sat in the middle
I don't know...aspas centrally makes sense to me, out wide not so much...same w/Sturridge

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2013, 10:39:00 pm »
Everything is coming together well for the new season. I've somehow managed to get my new Virgin Media channels switched on early, and BT Sport is included. And it just so happens the V+ box an engineer said was "blown up" based on the error code is working. And all just in time for our first match. And now RAWK is back.

BRING IT ON!!
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #196 on: August 16, 2013, 10:41:24 pm »
If we don't win tomorrow I hope the servers go down for another 3 days
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline m4Rco

• Kopite
  • wat
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2013, 10:43:37 pm »
Absolutely buzzing, can't wait. Lets start with 3 points, shall we?  :wave
#8 Steven Gerrard
There was no miracle in Istanbul. It was just a man inspiring other men to victory. A man with whom you'll never walk alone.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #199 on: August 16, 2013, 11:00:22 pm »
I feel like a kid on Christmas eve!
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...