Author Topic: A Pot Of Tea And A Spoonful Of Magic #Shankly100  (Read 10052 times)

royhendo

A Pot Of Tea And A Spoonful Of Magic #Shankly100
« on: August 4, 2013, 10:20:44 am »
Your mum, she finishes your story and tucks you in, and she kisses you good night, and you ask her, "Mum, will Dad be home in time tonight?", but he's been working all day, and the greyhounds are on tonight, but maybe... (yawn), maybe he'll come in, and maybe talk about his work, and the dugs, and maybe talk about the football. Sometimes you get to stay up late, way past your bed time. And sometimes you'll talk about the football. About the team.

The new centre forward, maybe he knows about him. Mum, she knows about him.

You fidget in your jammies, the quilt itchy under your chin. You kick your toes out to the bottom of the bed, to the corners. Mum, she does the corners so tight you feel like your legs are roped to the bed. So you kick, and the quilt comes loose. Mostly it's freezing in Dunfermline, but it's summer this week.

And your thoughts turn to your heroes, to the Scottish Cup Final you were too young to know about, before Big Jock moved to the Celtic, and you sigh. And you think about those players you never saw, and the ones that play for Scotland, the ones down in England your Dad tells you about. And you think about how Big Jock could have won the European Cup with the Pars if he'd stayed. We were just as good as the Celtic.

And dreams come.

But then your Dad, he's tugging at the collar of your jammies. What time is it? He smells... of tea. And it's noisy downstairs. Are they having a party? What time is it? And your Dad, he says, "Wake up, Son. I've got a surprise for you."

And you're up, and in a dreamy haze, you tottle down the stairs behind your father, and there, sat at the kitchen table decanting another steaming pot of tea, sit Jock Stein and Bill Shankly. And your mother. And as if in a dream, all those people and players you've heard about in legend, all those men your father talks about in hushed, reverential tones, come home to you, sat at a kitchen table here in Dunfermline, in the Kingdom of Fife. Two Titans of the game, casting a spell with stories of McNeill and Johnstone, Yeats and St John, as if they too were sat at your table, within your grasp, as real as the sugar bowl in front of you.

Sometimes in life, your dreams reach out and touch you. You'll be sleepwalking along, shuffling from pillar to post, and the next thing you know, your heroes are in your midst, and you realise that they're human too. Real people you can talk to, and touch, and aspire to being in the playground, and in life.

This little boy we've just met, he's no Pinnochio. He's real. A decade or so ago, he worked the East Coast main line between London Kings Cross and Aberdeen, decanting tea of his own from the buffet car. Maybe he still does. I never caught his name. That weekend saw me sat next the window at a table a few yards from the buffet car, tin of Stella on the go, immersed in a dream of my own, half way through the joy that was Archie MacPherson's biography of Jock Stein. In a peculiar moment I wondered why, given a near empty train (there tends to be an exodus north of Edinburgh after 9pm), someone would want to park themselves right next to me. And then I turned round, and there was the fella from the buffet car. I'm thinking, 'Aye aye, what's going on here?'

And he says, "Great book that. I knew the big man you know."

He said he'd clocked the book around Newcastle and fought the urge to come over and speak for a good hour and a half. It turned out he'd been a lifelong Dunfermline fan, and that his mum worked at the club. Stein had enjoyed some nascent managerial success there, and they'd become firm friends. And as luck would have it, with his father and the great man sharing a love of the greyhounds, the family's friendship with Stein persisted beyond his move to Celtic, and for the rest of their days. And naturally, that friendship extended its reach further south, since Stein had something of a sporting soul mate in Merseyside at the time. Thus this became a regular occurrence  The late night boots up the motorway, the fresh brewed pots of steaming hot tea, and the marathon football and dugs-related chatter.

Still in short trousers at the time, he said it was the best moment of his life. It's magical, that. It's the essence of the game, crystallised into its purest form.

And it's something that never really leaves you. I met Chris Lawler a year or two back, and though he'd played a generation before I'd been to a game, the experience still left me star struck. A great man, with time to greet an ordinary thirty something man like me as if I were his equal. Isn't that something? A moment that'll stay with me for the rest of my days.

There's a reason the game is what it is. Over the generations, it's propelled ordinary men to God-like status, but for the most part, those men remained rooted in the community, while the community in turn retained the firmest faith in them (for the most part at least). Until recently, anyway. It's far too easy to forget all that. Take me, for example. I'm one of those who, while brought up in that parochial spirit, gets carried away with talk of high lines, and the need to compress space in midfield, and how we need to break opposing lines from the back. Blah blah blah. It's easy to forget that in amongst the stats, the duels won, and the pass completion rates, lies the reason the game is what it is to us all.

Inside we're all just like that little lad in the 1960s, fast asleep in his bed in Dunfermline, dreaming of his heroes.

We complain about players once having rode the bus to the ground, where now they sit behind tinted glass in executive supercars, all mirrored shades and moisturisers. We complain of how, with the loss of every Carragher, the ties that bind the game to the people become that little less secure.

We shake our fists in moral outrage at the divers, and the spitters, and lest we forget, the biters. And we point at the authorities, who long since forgot (if they ever truly knew) the why of the game, their whole house of cards riddled with rot and corruption from root to fruit. And it all gets a little bit jaded. You look at your own kids, and you wonder why they ought to waste the best part of their lives devoted to this shower of shite.

But then, even with all the money, and the ticket prices, and the marquee final shifts to TV friendly prime time slots, the odd moment pops along that touches you. You'll meet Brendan Rodgers on his holidays in Marbella. Or you'll meet Momo in the Asda. Or Luis Suarez will defy the laws of physics and round Tim Krul for the kind of equaliser that takes your breath away, and boggles the mind.

And for that fleeting moment, you'll feel like that kid again.

The game's about magic. And no matter how hard they try, they'll never kill that off. Not completely.
« Last Edit: August 9, 2013, 06:52:03 pm by Hinesy »

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: A Pot Of Tea And A Spoonful Of Magic
« Reply #1 on: August 4, 2013, 01:12:25 pm »
Fantastic. You totally get it, it's all about fighting to keep the magic alive. Jarmies not jammies though ;)  First class.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 4, 2013, 03:27:57 pm »
God is in the details yet again - great read, mate.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #3 on: August 4, 2013, 05:04:26 pm »
Top stuff Roy.

I still fear though that the bits of magic they can't buy, they'll steal anyway. That's a different debate though ;)

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #4 on: August 5, 2013, 06:17:58 am »
Staggering work, Roy.

Cheers for that.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #5 on: August 5, 2013, 11:50:51 am »
Lovely stuff Roy.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 5, 2013, 12:34:46 pm »
Loved this. I feel like a kid every time I take my seat at Anfield. It seems so cliche but the anticipation is what builds up that feeling.
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #7 on: August 5, 2013, 01:06:16 pm »
Oh, man. It made me feel about nine years old, reeling at the wonder of it all. I think that's what we've forgotten, the wonder of it all. The first thrills of boyhood revolved around football, and occasionally, still, those tingles are still their in adulthood. Thanks for reminding me Roy. :wave

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 5, 2013, 03:44:13 pm »
'at's a cracker!

:D

87:13

Offline BreakfastPercy

• Legacy Fan
  • Follow me: @BreakfastPercy
« Reply #9 on: August 9, 2013, 03:36:20 am »
Wonderful. Made me wish I was on the train North with the rest of the book to read. And I agree, there's still magic in there and it's up to us to nurture it and celebrate it. So good I don't even wish I'd written it, I'm just glad to read it.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #10 on: August 9, 2013, 07:41:32 am »
It's that walk up the steps for me, and then you come out and look over that huge field. Never lost that buzz. Pleasure to have read that Roy.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 9, 2013, 08:19:55 am »
It's that walk up the steps for me, and then you come out and look over that huge field. Never lost that buzz. Pleasure to have read that Roy.

:) The sudden greening.
You moving this across? It's a little nugget of gold in a pile of Suarez-Suarez-Suarez shite.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 9, 2013, 06:48:50 pm »
A simply wonderful piece from Roy.
As the anniversary of the great man approaches, RAWK will be publishing more articles on Bill. Tuck Mr Suarez away for a while, and sit back, read and enjoy.
Yep.

Offline skerriesred

• Main Stander
  • Devuelvemela pelota.
Re: A Pot Of Tea And A Spoonful Of Magic #Shankly100
« Reply #13 on: August 9, 2013, 06:55:26 pm »
Thanks a million for that.
Taking my 10 year old boy and 7 year old daughter to the game in Dublin tomorrow.
May it be the start for them...
" Never make a decision until you have to, because often they are made for you"
Bill Shankly

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 9, 2013, 06:55:44 pm »
tweeted too.
Yep.

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: August 9, 2013, 06:59:27 pm »
Loved reading that. That's the bit I'm hoping comes back to Scottish football through the Rangers thing last year. That whole community part of football. Such a shame a few teams are struggling though, Dunfermline among them, sadly.

Great work though Roy

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #16 on: August 9, 2013, 07:40:25 pm »
When we went to Blackpool for our holidays, Mr.Shankly would get us all the best seats at whatever was the best show in Blackpool, then he would be off to Preston dog track, he really loved it, I think that`s why we always went to Blackpool, that and the games against the waiters.

Did you know his nephew was a very popular player at Birmingham City

That was a lovely read mate, lovely
« Last Edit: August 9, 2013, 07:43:45 pm by vicgill »
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
Re: Royhendo's magical little piece. #Shankly100
« Reply #17 on: August 9, 2013, 07:54:54 pm »
[quote

The game's about magic. And no matter how hard they try, they'll never kill that off. Not completely.

[/quote]

Lovely. And, again, just lovely. 
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 9, 2013, 08:20:09 pm »
Sublime, thanks for that Roy.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline bclfc

• Legacy Fan
  • I think my F5 has gone weird
    • The Who Boys
« Reply #19 on: August 9, 2013, 08:27:18 pm »
 :wellin

Made my day that, thanks Roy.
"If people trust and love you, you will never walk alone." - Philippos

Quote from: shanklyboy on April  3, 2006, 12:04:44 AM

IF YOU'RE EVER SKINT ROMAN
          WE'VE GOT 5 EUROS

Offline d.revie

• Kemlynite
« Reply #20 on: August 9, 2013, 08:31:20 pm »
Great read that would just like to echo your thoughts on chis lawler. Was about 17 years ago I was playing in a football tournament in brixham when a man came up to me in full liverpool tracksuit and asked a few of us in liverpool tops where we were from, probably expecting to here a scouse accent when we told him corby northants he looked confused as to why the scottish twang. Anyway he introduced himself as chris lawler and none of us had a clue at the time who he was, he carried on chatting to us about things he had achieved at the club. By this time quite a few of our parents had turned up and again he carried on chatting away to the parents while all the lads went off. Later on my dad who was manager of our team told me that chris said  he would come and watch our game in the morning but thought he was probably just saying it to be polite. Next day we turned up at the pitches and true to his word chris lawler in full liverpool tracksuit was standing waiting their, he got the team together before the game and spoke to us about how good footballers don't need to be giants they just need to know how pass the ball. Really a think he had seen the lads we were playing against were twice the size of us and thought we would get stuffed. Anyway his little speeched worked think we won by 12 or 13 goals and he was very impressed by what he had seen, we had photos taken with him and again he promised he would join up later at the campsite to have a drink with our parents! Think he was still intrigued as to why everyone sounded scottish even though we lived in the midlands. Will have to ask my dad to look out the photos and if I can find them will try post them on here. Genuine lovely man true to his word and a great memory for me as a kid to know a player of his calibre came and watched this wee little plastic jock play the beautiful game.

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 9, 2013, 08:35:03 pm »
Great piece Roy
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #22 on: August 9, 2013, 08:44:53 pm »
nice read Roy .
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 9, 2013, 08:47:51 pm »
Oh, man. It made me feel about nine years old,
That was my thoughts exactly, and it made me think more about my very early days as a footy fanatic in Shanklys day. I may use this thread to share them over the next week or so.
Brill Roy.

Offline locultom

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #24 on: August 9, 2013, 08:56:47 pm »
Lovely piece, beautifully observed.
No-one wants to stay in the Travelodge by choice. It's always a last resort. No-ones thinking, Id love to stay in a room so blandly anonymous that it looks like the burial chamber of the king of an ancient civilisation which valued above all bland anonymity.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #25 on: August 9, 2013, 09:37:35 pm »
Brilliant.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 9, 2013, 10:40:00 pm »
I love this. And not just because I got an honorary mention of sorts. A wonderful piece of writing mate.

Offline xstoofer

• Main Stander
« Reply #27 on: August 9, 2013, 11:44:49 pm »
Beautifully written piece, pity the content is mainly to do with no mark, small time, shite teams from North of the border. Little Scotlander mentality big fish in a feckin small time pond.. Big respect to Shanks and Big Chris (obviously) but as an exile I'm fed up of this pish...  :D
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared
to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

royhendo

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 07:29:51 am »
Ta for the lovely comments. And ta mostly for the stories, especially Vic and D.Revie. :)

royhendo

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 07:40:40 am »
It is magic how everyone in Corby's a chilly Jocko though eh? I felt right at home there last year. :)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2013, 08:02:45 am »
Even a cynical old git like me read that with a tear in my eye, the magic is still there but it needs protecting far more these days.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2013, 08:09:08 am »
That's a tremendous post. I'm having a bit of a bad day to say the least but that post brought a smile to my face. Through all the shit, the only constant in my life has been this team that we all love and this sport that we all love even when it's not always good for our collective hearts and blood pressure ! But there is a magic and it transcends everything. Borders, languages and every other division you could imagine. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2013, 08:11:01 am »
Wonderful stuff, Roy. "Evocative" is the best word I can use to describe it. You're on that train as you read it. Brilliant.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline d.revie

• Kemlynite
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2013, 08:15:42 am »
Its certainly a home from home for are family's north of the border just hope the growth of the town we don't end up losing our heritage and what makes our town so unique.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2013, 08:34:32 am »
Thanks for that Roy.  It seems harder to find nowadays, but the magic is still there
Great read
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2013, 10:16:36 am »
The beautiful thing about football is those magical moments.
Sometimes they're of outrage; sometimes of sublime skill.
Gerrard blasts a screamer in from 30 yards. Suarez brings the ball down over his shoulder, feints and rounds the keeper to slot home.

But not all the magic is on the field.
Roy pens a mini-masterpiece...
d.revie replies in kind.

Thank you.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2013, 10:38:35 am »
When we went to Blackpool for our holidays, Mr.Shankly would get us all the best seats at whatever was the best show in Blackpool, then he would be off to Preston dog track, he really loved it, I think that`s why we always went to Blackpool, that and the games against the waiters.

I did know that Vic and I saw him play a few times against Liverpool for both Crystal Palace and Birmingham City. But I did not know until this morning that his full name was John Roger Shankly Hynd.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2013, 10:48:22 am »
It's why we take our kids, no?

Because there's still magic there, somewhere. Sometimes you have to look really fucking hard for it, but it's there.

And I vow to take my kids to stuff like that until... well, lets not think about the until.

I've written about before, somewhere on RAWK, the magic that took a hold of me.

King Kenny was surrounded on the corner of the 16yard box. He turns left - and is blocked, he turns right - and he's boxed in. He turns back left and curls it into the far corner.

I saw that as a young boy. There's no other word for that than magic.

Thanks Roy.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2013, 11:01:03 am »
It's why we take our kids, no?

Because there's still magic there, somewhere. Sometimes you have to look really fucking hard for it, but it's there.

And I vow to take my kids to stuff like that until... well, lets not think about the until.

I've written about before, somewhere on RAWK, the magic that took a hold of me.

King Kenny was surrounded on the corner of the 16yard box. He turns left - and is blocked, he turns right - and he's boxed in. He turns back left and curls it into the far corner.

I saw that as a young boy. There's no other word for that than magic.

Thanks Roy.

That sounds like a goal he scored against Aston Villa at Anfield in November 1980. If we are thinking about the same goal, I too remember it well. Kenny actually took the ball out of the penalty-area for a few seconds then turned and came back in before curling a wonderful shot over and around Jimmy Rimmer and into the far corner of the Kop goal. This match was not televised but this goal was definitely magic.

And Kenny's second goal in the same match also comes into the 'magic' category. With time running out and the scores level at 1-1, he threaded the ball deliberately through defender Ken McNaught's legs and Rimmer had no chance with that one either.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:05:13 am by kriss »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2013, 02:59:00 pm »

brill wee story! thanks Vic for that!
Yep.