Author Topic: Liverpool 4 Sheffield United 0: The Launching of the 'SSA'  (Read 7360 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool 4 Sheffield United 0: The Launching of the 'SSA'
« on: February 24, 2007, 10:25:24 pm »
After beating the reigning European Champions in their own back-yard, Sheffield United at home was, quite rightly, viewed as an anti-climax. So professionalism was required in entering the game and, with news Colin Wanker preferred a more wary 4-5-1, ahead of the expected 4-4-2, it seemed patience was also necessary.

With news that Jerzy Dudek was set to start in place of Pepe Reina in goal, there was levels of anxiety around the ground, given the fact Sheffield United’s main hopes of scoring at Anfield were set to come from set-pieces. But it also prompted a comical moment when the crowd’s mandatory ‘Yay!’ was substituted for a baffled ‘Who?’ after George read third-choice and recent signing Daniel Padelli’s name over the tannoy.

The main team news, though, was the news Javier Mascherano was set to make his debut for the club, alongside captain Steven Gerrard – back in the middle again, which is good… or is it?

It seems the deal that has brought the Argentine to Anfield is a no-lose situation for Liverpool. The £1.5m, 18-month contract is like pleasurable experiment for the man that has just cured cancer. If it fails, it fails. But surely for that amount of money for a player that is a mainstay in a top-class Argentina squad, it can only be beneficial for both parties involved?

In defence was the side that broke more records than people trying to hear satanic messages on their stereos last season, on the flanks were Gonzalez and Pennant and up front, Peter Crouch and Robbie Fowler.

Sheffield United’s side was as follows: (Oh my God they killed) Kenny, Jagielka, (I should be so) Lucketti, (Stretch) Armstrong, Tonge (Sandwich), Fathi (Bastard), (General) Montgomery, Quinn and Hulse.

The game started off fairly slowly and the most fun we had in the Paddock was mocking their right-winger Stephen Quinn. Calls of ‘Does your Mum know you’re out this late?’, ‘Well done on winning the competition’ and ‘School on Monday’ were hurled at the young, ginger haired winger who looked, quite literally, like a boy in a man’s game. Sorry for the cliché but a kid that is about five foot, five inches and played poorly? It was always going to be said.

The first effort of the game fell to Gonzalez, who got in behind the defence and brought down a long, floating Sami Hyypia ball on his chest, only to toe-poke the ball over. Only a half-chance, but it was one which opened the game up a little.
Hopes of an early goal were fading, but a rather clumsy challenge from somebody on Gerrard, with about three men on the deck, one winning a penalty, one breaking his nose, the penalty Steve Bennett gave was fully warranted. Peter Crouch went off in place of Kuyt – a move Benitez will have done through gritted teeth, as hopes of putting Kuyt on for twenty minutes with the game over, were ruined.

The positive to take was more mobility up front - as well as having a chance to look at Kuyt and Fowler as a partnership – something we’ve yet to see I think?

Fowler was forced to wait patiently for the whistle, as Crouch left on a stretcher – which requires an extension should the big man ever need it again – but he ran up undeterred and smashed the ball to Paddy Kenny’s left.

Five minutes later, another penalty was given. Dirk Kuyt’s headed pass found Gerrard rampaging into the box who, for the second time in the game and third time in the season against Sheff Utd, was awarded a penalty. Fowler stepped up, went the other way, and Liverpool led by two goals to nil.

Half-time arrived and the two goal lead wasn’t enough to lift the crowd from the hangover of Barcelona, as the game had yet to really get underway, with more injuries than shots on goal, with three substitutes – two down to injuries (Chris Morgan for Lucketti and Kuyt for Crouch).

Jerzy Dudek could have been sat on a deckchair with a glass of lemonade, whilst Paddy Kenny only had one real save to make, from a Gonzalez shot which was parried to safety.

The crowd was still quiet as the second half developed, as Sheffield United came out of the traps more. Robert Kozluk made way for Kazim Richards after Fowler slotted home the second after twenty-five minutes, but it took until the second half for that change to have any effect, with Warnock undoubtedly revising tactics during the interval.

Liverpool looked far more threatening on the break than United did applying pressure, which Carragher and Hyypia dealt with at ease.

Sami Hyypia was dominant all afternoon, handling the direct and physical approaches of Hulse and Stead, and he capped off his afternoon with a drilled effort from a couple of yards out when a low corner from Pennant was dealt with by the Sheffield United defence.

Gerrard completed the rout after a textbook move: Mascherano to Fowler whose flicked ball found the skipper unmarked. He was never going to miss. 4-0 and it could have been more. A Fowler hat-trick would have completed the day, but alas, it wasn’t to be.

On the way out, inspiration came for me to form a new campaign. Sack the RTK campaign off, the SSA campaign is where it is at now. And no, it has nothing to do with Nazi soldiers. The 'Stop Swinging Arms' Campaign starts at the beginning of next month, due to the whack I received to, as Joe Pasquale says, ‘the Jacobs’.

I went home talking like Olive from Popeye, but the result made it worth it. I think.

But, to end on a footballing note I'll say this: you can call Warnock what you will (the more offensive the better) and with his personality, it is no surprise he has so many people infuriated, but what you could guarantee that his side would play with their hearts on their sleeves. He is a manager that demands the best from his players, because that’s precisely what he gives himself.

But enough of the kowtowing, let’s laugh at the fact an anagram of his name in Colin Wanker and agree these are the sort of run-of-the-mill garbage we’ve got to beat… and we did. Heavily. So ha!

MOTM: Hyypia. Plenty of shouts. I thought Gerrard, Carragher and Pennant had good games, but Hyypia stood out the most. Dealt with everything thrown at him and scored a goal which won me a bet.

© Garstonite 2007
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 12:46:48 pm by Brigada Internacional »

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
Re: Liverpool 4 Sheffield United: The Launching of the 'SSA'
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 10:41:15 pm »
Sheffield United’s side was as follows: (Oh my God they killed) Kenny, Jagielka, (I should be so) Lucketti, (Stretch) Armstrong, Tonge (Sandwich), Fathi (Bastard), (General) Montgomery, Quinn and Hulse.

Brilliant  ;D
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 10:47:38 pm »
"the side that broke more records than people trying to hear satanic messages on their stereos last season"

;D

Nice piece Garstonite.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline scottishRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 12:02:38 am »
Garstontite: three questions from somebody who is yet to see a decent highlights reel:

(1) How did Mascherano fair on his debut?

(2) Any signs of improvement from Gonzalez? (I think this is one of the key points of interest over the second half of this season as, without any improvement from him, we should probably be making a new signing in that position this summer)

(3) Is Pennant maintaining his good run of form?

Offline James--5Star--Reds

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 12:13:48 am »
Mascherano had a solid game in he middle, looking more than capable of filling that role, i would say although i've only seen him off one performance he is the player who will be best suited to play in the middle alongside Gerrard, he's Xabi with pace and a good eye for a tackle :)

Pennant and Gonzalez i thought both did OK, pennant was probably the better of the two and kept on running past his opponent, they both added great pace about our performance on te wings and also tackled back when needed

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 12:20:56 am »
Garstontite: three questions from somebody who is yet to see a decent highlights reel:

(2) Any signs of improvement from Gonzalez? (I think this is one of the key points of interest over the second half of this season as, without any improvement from him, we should probably be making a new signing in that position this summer)

I'll try to answer these for you having seen the game:

1. Mascherano had a very solid debut, he was energetic, worked hard and looked like
he is just happy to be back playing football again. He slotted in nicely beside Gerrard and
tackled hard throughout. The highlight for most was his involvement in Gerrard's goal
when he sent a lovely forward pass to Fowler who in turn set up Stevie G.
If you browse the in game thread from today you will find most were very pleased with JM's
performance as I'm sure Rafa was. One moment stood out late in the second half when he chased back
from roughly halfway to dispossess them and clear the ball well away which drew some deserved
applause from the crowd. He looked the part today, we have a good player on our hands.
Also when Xabi replaced our skipper after his goal Masch really linked up well so he has had experience
of playing alongside two of our best midfielders and was very comfortable.

2. Gonzales was for most the disappointing factor in today's game, for many he quite simply wasn't
involved enough. He made one nice break when we were 2-0 up which resulted in a near post shot
by Speedy which was parried by Kenny.
This was his first 90 mins for us but in most match reports he struggled to get over 6 out of 10
which in truth is about all he deserved. I saw someone on another thread say that perhaps we are
expecting too much too soon as he far from the finished article, we expect him to be Robben/Ronaldo
like and take on and beat his man down the flank every time which he didn't 1. try or 2. look
capable of today.
In his defence and imho, most of our play was concentrated on the centre and right hand side going forward
today which isolated him a bit. The ball moved from the back through Masch,Gerrard,Pennant, and Kuyt and Fowler
after Crouch went off predominantly.
It's still too early to write Gonzales off, I have no doubt he has quality but it looks like
he needs more time. Today wasn't his day but we won 4-0 so draw your own conclusions
I guess.

3. Yes very much so. JP has played his best football at Anfield this season and today definitely has to
go down as a good day for Pennant. Every time he received the ball he was positive, it's a shame
we didn't see this side to him earlier in the season, he took his man on, rarely lost posession
and was very clever with how he used the ball. Some reckoned he could've been man of the match
but for Stevie G and Sami Hyppia who were also very good today.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 12:23:21 am by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 04:01:26 am »

My take:

1. Mascherano didn't set the world on fire in this game and perhaps not unexpected since he doesn't really have much match fitness (not to be confused with 'physical fitness'). There were a few good tackles as well as one good run with the ball, I could almost hear everybody with the exception of Warnock willing him to shoot. A couple of muffed up tackles too but could be down to the desperation to play. A rating of 7, if only he worked well with the squad.

2. Gonzalez haven't really played much himself and I suppose his contribution today is a reflection of that but the toe-poke was something that could've a great morale boost. Several link up plays and runs but he has generally been just above average in this game because most of the moves were at the right side where...

3. ... Pennant had a field day lording over the United defenders. He had much space and pace, made many good crosses and a couple that should've been goals. He did well.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 05:37:21 am »
Pennant played really well, always wanted the ball, tried a few tricks and generally caused problems all game for the SU defence. Looked like he's found a whole bunch of confidence that has been lacking in the early part of the season. Was definitely more attack-minded than previously, for example earlier in the season a lot of the time he would end up having to pass backwards, today he was either taking a man on or creating a lot of space for others because the defence were having to double or triple up on him. Very encouraging.
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline ratcatcher

• Glass is often half-empty...and it's all Parry's fault
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 12:30:02 pm »
Good piece. Enjoyed reading it.
These are my own opinions. They are not meant or intended as a criticism of anyone else's opinion just because they are different but if you can't see past that, then tough shit!

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Re: Liverpool 4 Sheffield United 0: The Launching of the 'SSA'
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 12:54:51 pm »
But enough of the kowtowing, let’s laugh at the fact an anagram of his name in Colin Wanker and agree these are the sort of run-of-the-mill garbage we’ve got to beat… and we did. Heavily. So ha!
;D Great stuff mate.

Offline DannyD

• Son Of Millie Tant. General Secretary of the National Union of Ice Cream Miners
  • Legacy Fan
  • 60 Years torment for Palestinians make it the last
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 02:45:11 pm »

Shef.United where poor it has to be said but ......
I liked the look of Masherano, you could tell he wasn't anywhere near match fit, but right up to the end he pushed himself to make the last tackle or hold a player up, I got tired just looking at him. Give him a few more games and we will hopefully see the quality Rafa is talking about.

Gonzalez played better than in his other games without setting the place on fire. His pace is there and we need to use it more.

Pennant for me was MOM, worked his socks off and everything that was good about us came through him. A 10% increase in the quality of his contribution from now to then end of the season will erase the poor start he had and give us hope for next season
I lay before you a plan of freedom - adopt it, and you rid the world of inequality, misery, and crime. A martyr in your cause, I am become the prophet of your salvation.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 02:46:46 pm »
I thought Mascherano got better as the game went on, SR. He looked involved and lively, which was a surprise for somebody who has had little match practice in the past six months, or so.

Gonzalez was poor again, I thought. Looks like he is trying too hard at times and can never make an impact on a game. I still think it is too early to judge him though, and I think we may see an improvement from him next season.

Pennant was very good yesterday - one of our better performers. Actually took on players on a  number of occasions and his interchanges with Kuyt, Finnan and Gerrard have been top-class.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 06:25:33 pm by Garstonite »

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 03:58:07 pm »
Good match report with the usual bits of humour in it. Keep up the good work, always enjoy reading these.

The £1.5m, 18-month

Has the club itself confirmed this yet, or is it still pure media gossip?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 07:12:48 pm by Finnish Red »

Offline Mark_P

• Stupid fucking little gosbite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 05:34:43 pm »
According to the Echo it's £1.5m, which will rise "signficantly" if he stays after the season .

Nice work Garston ...
Just GO you Yank twats.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 06:07:13 pm »
Good match report with the usual bits of humour in it. Keep up the good work, always enjoy reading these.

Thursday's Guardian had this piece:

Dominic Fifield, Guardian 22 February

Mascherano moves for £1.5M and 18 months

Liverpool paid Kia Joorabchian's Media Sports Investment group £1.5m to secure Javier Mascherano on an 18 month contract, with an option to take him long-term. The club have secured the Argentinian's registration and image rights for that time after his switch from West Ham had been frustrated by the Premier League, which expressed concerns over third-party ownership and continues to investigate whether the east London club have, by playing Mascherano and his compatriot Tevez, fielded ineligible players. The authorities were satisfied the deal proposed by Liverpool did not contravene the rules. Ownership of the player will revert to Joorabchian if Liverpool do not pursue a long-term signing.

Sorry can't find the story on-line so copied from the paper.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Littlered

• Boys Pen
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 09:14:40 pm »
Hi all i took Littlered upto this game,it was his first ever Liverpool game he's 8,heres his take on the game.
MOM he thought was JP,had a cracking game,also loved seeing God(Fowler) up close,Loved the work rate of Kuyt,Sheffield were poor,i'd use another word,thought Liverpool have a bargain in Mascherano,Sami was very solid,more like a workout for Liverpool,bit off key here but may i say THANK YOU to all on the Kop who we met for the first time and made us most welcome and the people of Liverpool alot of people down south could learn from the friendlyness,A great result and a great weekend in Liverppol. ;)

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 09:45:26 pm »
Great stuff Garstonite, a great report, full of lovely little touches, I'd quibble with just one word : 'unmarked' about Stevie's goal. as a defender myself, if he'd been unmarked I doubt I'd have got e-mails from friends in Italy and Argentina telling me, unprompted,  how much they loved this great goal !

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 1, 2007, 03:45:41 pm »
Great stuff Garstonite, a great report, full of lovely little touches, I'd quibble with just one word : 'unmarked' about Stevie's goal. as a defender myself, if he'd been unmarked I doubt I'd have got e-mails from friends in Italy and Argentina telling me, unprompted,  how much they loved this great goal !

Spot on, actually. It wasn't the best view of the goal from my seat in the Paddock. It looked even better on telly - great, and vital, touch from Gerrard that took it round the defender.