Author Topic: Ah Bless... Rafa upsets Ferguson & Allardyce  (Read 134158 times)

Offline gollne

• clearance...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arts pics like ass in the morning
Re: Ah Bless... Rafa upsets Ferguson & Allardyce
« Reply #1320 on: April 20, 2009, 06:52:26 am »
:lmao
Rafa: Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Crowd: Spaniard, Spaniard, Spaniard...

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1321 on: April 20, 2009, 07:12:16 am »
Great article from James Lawton there, really enjoyed that!  Nice to see the press not being scared of attacking Fergie for once.  Oh, and nice comments from Keane about Rafa too.
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #1322 on: April 20, 2009, 07:20:14 am »
Love that ^ Article

Well executed .
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline TheoRacle

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC Supporter
« Reply #1323 on: April 20, 2009, 07:29:13 am »
From goonersweb:

"That Rafael Benitez. Rafa they call him. Goatee beard, whatever that is. Not like mutton chops. No, not a manly beard. Not facial hair. Not like my moustache. I miss my moustache. Mr Ferguson though, Mr Ferguson, said it tickled. Gave him a rash. Leant it to Phil at Hull.

Standing. Standing aloof in 'his' technical area. 'His' like he owns it. Staring at 'his' players. 'His' like he owns them. Staring at my players. Does he want to own them? Not likely says Big Sam. Big Sam, too big for England. The FA, too scared, too scared about what Big Sam can offer. Too scared of 4:5:1 with Upson up front. Matty Upson, big, strong. Manly, leading the line.

There he is. The Spaniard. In Big Sam's country. Applauding a goal. By Torres. Another Spaniard. He were imported. Imported into Big Sam's country. The arch of the ball. Leaving his boot. Leaving Robinson, my Robinson, staring at the English sun. Flat-footed like a bobby. A bobby on t'beat. Don't see many of them nowadays.

The noise. The noise of northern men. Northern men and women. Celebrating. Celebrating a goal. Scored by a Spaniard against an English 'keeper. England's best 'keeper. The horror. The horror. Horrible. Treason.

And then. More. The cross. The header. The score. In bold. Spain two. England Nil. Big Sam's England. And there he is. The Spaniard with his facial hair and note book. He's looking at Big Sam. He's looking at me. Past me. Or at me.

Looking. Smiling. Mocking Big Sam! Him! Mocking Big Sam! The arms. Moving. The Smile. The language! Si!? Todo bien?! Todo bien?!!! A chocolate bar?! That's a chocolate bar! He's shouting foreign bloody chocolate bars at me! I half-choke on my Boddington's! Game over. That's what he's saying. Game over Big Sam! Hidden in that language. Game over. He's mocking me. I look to Benni.

Benni. Benni McCarthy. McCarthy. Like Big Mick down t'road. South African. Practically British. A war there. You know? Boars or summat. A war about pigs? Wasn't that to do wit' Cuba? I look to Benni. Benni's waiting. Benni's a striker. He's pleading with his eyes. He's pleading with that raised finger. 'Play me Big Sam.' 'Play me.' We lock steely eyes. I placate him with crossed arms. Strong, crossed arms. 'Samba'll do a job Benni. Samba'll do it.' I say. I say with my arms. I say with my shrugged shoulders. There's still time. 55 minutes. No need for Benni. Samba'll do it.

I march back to give the fouth official advice. 'I could have been England manager!' I tell him. He stares. He's laughing. They're all laughing. Hateful. Spiteful. Mocking me. Mocking Big Sam. Bile rises. I march to t'bench. I almost trip, almost stumble over Winston. Winston. Winston the whippet. My whippet. Big Sam's whippet.

It's over. The Spaniard won. Beat me, beat me; Big Sam. four nothing. Cheated. They all do. Foreigners. I can't abide cheaters. Can't abide players who go around, go around like they own the place. I tell El Hadji. El Hadji agrees. He were booed. Mocked. They all mock. They mock Big Sam and his British Blackburn Rovers. Andre agrees. As does Morten. Never cheats, that Morten. Zurab. Zurab, a strapping lad from Rangers. Rangers in Scotland. British Scotland. He agrees. As does Carlos. Carlos. Funny lad. Says he's chilly. I give him me cap. A cap and a Woodbine.

The FA. I'll go t'FA. Mocking me he were. Taunting. Teasing. Terrible behaviour. Undermined me. Undermined me 4:5:1 with no recognised strikers. Mocked me. I phone Phil. I phone Brian Horten. Spaniards. All of 'em. Mocking. Spitting. I hate that. El Hadji agrees. We all agree. Mocking. Malevolent.

Big Sam'll be back. You'll see."

http://z13.invisionfree.com/goonersweb/index.php?showtopic=38645&st=16
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 07:31:22 am by TheoRacle »

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #1324 on: April 20, 2009, 07:33:57 am »
What a fucking great article by Lawton, made me laugh my moobs off!
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1325 on: April 20, 2009, 07:34:07 am »
Martin Samuel :

It's a joke to pick on Rafa  The League Managers Association would gain considerably more credibility if they did not appear to exist as the fiefdom of Mr. Ferguson, the Manchester United manager, and friends.
The sight of Ferguson and Sam Allardyce, of Blackburn Rovers, ganging up on Rafael Benitez, the Liverpool manager, last week was laughable, the idea that Benitez's gestures at Anfield during Liverpool's win over Blackburn were disrespectful even more so.
Indeed, watching this alleged slight, Benitez (above) appears to be laughing at himself for advising against a move that led to a goal or telling his players now to go steady and close the game down.
If he was saying the match was over at 2-0, as Allardyce and Ferguson suggested, though, he is no bad judge: it ended 4-0.
Ferguson says previous Liverpool managers would not have acted like that and he is right. Previous Liverpool managers would never have been 2-0 up after 30 minutes against an awkward side like Blackburn.
This may be what Ferguson liked most about them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1171920/MARTIN-SAMUEL-English-clubs-envy-Europe-listen-MPs.html?ITO=1490

Nail on head.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline Ozzy_Red

• about Sharon in OK magazine again.. Not the sharpest shrimp on the barbie but probably the most irritating
  • Legacy Fan
  • A pig. In a cage. On antibiotics
« Reply #1328 on: April 20, 2009, 08:18:49 am »
I used to not mind Fat Head Sam (not to be confused with Fat Head Steve) now I dislike Fat Head Sam.
Rarfer out! Go the Liverpool Reds Football Franchise!

Wanker : Manchester United fan. Follower of Manchester United. Denzien of Manchester. More likely to know more about white dog poo than football.

Offline guyko21

• Kopite
« Reply #1329 on: April 20, 2009, 08:34:27 am »
Can all of our paranoid folks now quit whingeing about the press? 

I think they've handled this brilliantly and socked it right back at Ferguson and his bumchum Allardyce. 

Remember, these are the two managers who were found out by the BBC for (ahem - allegedly) permitting dirty deals for their agent sons and who now refuse to speak to the BBC or anyone else who dares question them.  At least Redknapp relented on the pathetic boycott of the BBC and even if he is allegedly partial to the odd brown paper bag, it's difficult not to like Harry. 

As for the two incidents of Rafa's so-called arrogance:

1. The reference to Everton was clearly a deficiency of Rafa's grasp of the English language at the time. 

2. If you examine the video, Rafa's hand gesture thing is clearly him saying "Well done lads, ignore what I said" as they scored by disobeying his free kick instructions. 

And here's the funny bit.  "Big Sam" had a couple of beers directly after the game with our Sammy Lee ... and Sammy said he hadn't mentioned a thing! 

So, Allardyce, once you've got your head out of Ferguson's butthole and come up for air you might want to listen to some proper advice and concentrate on your own club, rather than gang up like two bullies in the school yard against the new foreign kid on the block.

Frankly, if the LMA has any balls, it would reprimand its two so-called leading protagonists. 

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
  • Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
« Reply #1330 on: April 20, 2009, 08:55:44 am »
I'd like to stoke the fire a little here by saying how pathetic it was that Ferguson's excuse for fielding a weakened side in the semi was the state of the pitch.

He has done. Rafa, I mean. Don't you remember? He was criticised for "not taking domestic cup competitions seriously".

We defended him by pointing out that we were still in the Champions League nad looking to secure Champions League football for the following season and that had to be our priority. We defended him by saying that the build up of games was too much and one competition had to be 'sacrificed' so to speak. we said that was the reason for having a large squad.

These are the reasons that the Man United supporters are going to be using. The same ones that we used.

The papers, on the other hand, couldn't be more biased. Ferguson gets the benefit of the doubt. Rafa never did.
Blank.

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #1332 on: April 20, 2009, 09:02:33 am »
fergie called rafa "disrespectful" for calling everton a small team 2 years ago,if im not mistaken hasnt what fergie did yesterday more disrespectful for fielding a weakend team,as my missus would say "pot calling kettle black"

Offline RedRum63

• Main Stander
« Reply #1333 on: April 20, 2009, 09:16:51 am »
fergie called rafa "disrespectful" for calling everton a small team 2 years ago,if im not mistaken hasnt what fergie did yesterday more disrespectful for fielding a weakend team,as my missus would say "pot calling kettle black"
I agree with that.
If this team selection was to 'prioritise' then I wonder what he'd say if Arsenal prioritised tomorrow and put their 2nd team out. I mean afterall, they have secured a top 4 spot so they only have the champs league to win this season.

Offline Mr. Miyagi

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1334 on: April 20, 2009, 09:18:35 am »
Fergie and Rafa snipes shame English game   

By Stan Collymore 20/04/2009

Stan the man

Mr. Ferguson's on-going spat with Liverpool counterpart Rafa Benitez is probably very entertaining to many but the pair are bringing the game into disrepute.

Old Trafford manager Ferguson and Benitez have swapped barbed comments all season.

Few will forget Rafa's 'Melwood address' in a hurry but the latest verbal sparring is getting ridiculous.

Sir Alex has accused Benitez of showing a lack of respect to Sam Allardyce during Blackburn's recent visit to Anfield.

They are managers of the two biggest clubs in the world, in my opinion, but are acting like schoolchildren.

Their behaviour is certainly not worthy of the two great clubs they represent.

And it is totally at odds with the conduct of past managers who helped shape the clubs we see today.

Sir Matt Busby and Bill Shankly wouldn't have carried on like this.

It is getting laughable now that two grown men, who should be concentrating on their own football clubs, spend so much time sniping at one another.

Maybe they should give each other a call, arrange to meet halfway down the East Lancs Road, and have it out.

I sadly doubt either of them have the balls to do that. The public nature of their row is astonishing - and I have to say it is damaging the English game.

I would like to see the Premier League step in but they are too scared because the power is wielded by the big clubs.

It leaves a situation where Ferguson and Benitez can basically say what they like.

The Premier League need to intervene,though, because Manchester United and Liverpool are English football's two leading clubs.

The warring duo should both be punished, and severely, because what we are seeing at the moment is conduct which wouldn't look out of place in the playground.

Grow up, lads.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/2009/04/20/fergie-and-rafa-snipes-shame-english-game-115875-21291209/

Online red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1335 on: April 20, 2009, 09:21:39 am »
That is the wife beating, dogging Collymore who has done more to ruin LFC than anyone else I could name?

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #1336 on: April 20, 2009, 09:22:41 am »

Stan the man

Mr. Ferguson's on-going spat with Liverpool counterpart Rafa Benitez is probably very entertaining to many but the pair are bringing the game into disrepute.

Old Trafford manager Ferguson and Benitez have swapped barbed comments all season.

Few will forget Rafa's 'Melwood address' in a hurry but the latest verbal sparring is getting ridiculous.

Mr Ferguson has accused Benitez of showing a lack of respect to Sam Allardyce during Blackburn's recent visit to Anfield.

They are managers of the two biggest clubs in the world, in my opinion, but are acting like schoolchildren.

And it is totally at odds with the conduct of past managers who helped shape the clubs we see today.

It is getting laughable now that two grown men, who should be concentrating on their own football clubs, spend so much time sniping at one another.

Maybe they should give each other a call, arrange to meet halfway down the East Lancs Road, and have it out.

I sadly doubt either of them have the balls to do that. The public nature of their row is astonishing - and I have to say it is damaging the English game.

I would like to see the Premier League step in but they are too scared because the power is wielded by the big clubs.

It leaves a situation where Ferguson and Benitez can basically say what they like.

The Premier League need to intervene,though, because Manchester United and Liverpool are English football's two leading clubs.

The warring duo should both be punished, and severely, because what we are seeing at the moment is conduct which wouldn't look out of place in the playground.

Grow up, lads.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/2009/04/20/fergie-and-rafa-snipes-shame-english-game-115875-21291209/

Stan is a fucking dogger for a start.

And to even mention Shankly in that sense is comical.

You could fill a bible with the stuff he used to say about others
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seńor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1337 on: April 20, 2009, 09:25:22 am »
Collymore lecturing Benitez about professionalism and bringing the game, and Liverpool, into disrepute?

Offline Liverbird 2010

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1338 on: April 20, 2009, 09:31:39 am »
People in glasshouses Stan, throw, shouldnt, stones............

Online red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1339 on: April 20, 2009, 09:33:30 am »
It could be argued that Stan effing Collymore is directly responsible for the demise of LFC as a major force in the premier league.

He was an expensive signing who systematically destroyed the discipline and cohesiveness of the squad. As a consequence Moores lost faith with Roy Evans and we ended up with Houllier. Ged then lost the plot with the money he wasted on rubbish. Few if any of the players he signed actually did the job.

This is broadly Fowler's view as described in his autibiography.

We should not listen to ANYTHING that prat has to say.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1340 on: April 20, 2009, 09:39:09 am »
It could be argued that Stan effing Collymore is directly responsible for the demise of LFC as a major force in the premier league.

He was an expensive signing who systematically destroyed the discipline and cohesiveness of the squad. As a consequence Moores lost faith with Roy Evans and we ended up with Houllier. Ged then lost the plot with the money he wasted on rubbish. Few if any of the players he signed actually did the job.

I didn't read that way from Robbie's book.

Nor do I think you can single out his transfer as the catalyst for our poor showing in the Title.

Collymore wasn't the sole reason why the board lost faith with Roy Evans. And you certainly can't blame Collymore for Ged losing the plot.

It's been debated on here many times before, but IMO, GH done a superb job for around 75% of the time he was with us.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1341 on: April 20, 2009, 09:39:36 am »
He has done. Rafa, I mean. Don't you remember? He was criticised for "not taking domestic cup competitions seriously".

We defended him by pointing out that we were still in the Champions League nad looking to secure Champions League football for the following season and that had to be our priority. We defended him by saying that the build up of games was too much and one competition had to be 'sacrificed' so to speak. we said that was the reason for having a large squad.

These are the reasons that the Man United supporters are going to be using. The same ones that we used.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying we wouldn't do the same, or at least expect Rafa to, it was Ferguson's excuse that I found so pathetic.

The papers, on the other hand, couldn't be more biased. Ferguson gets the benefit of the doubt. Rafa never did.

Key point.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1342 on: April 20, 2009, 09:39:59 am »

TBF Houllier should have stepped down after his heart by-pass or atleast gone upstairs, I am gratefull for everything he done for us, but his health was more important than the club. Collymore is not to blame for our demise even though I dislike the fella. Kenny leaving was the reason for our demise.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 09:47:15 am by Lyndsey_LFC »

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1343 on: April 20, 2009, 09:45:43 am »

Stan the man

This particular prat doesn't have a leg to stand on when talking about the professionalism of others. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1344 on: April 20, 2009, 09:47:10 am »
Collymore got paid to write that!
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1345 on: April 20, 2009, 09:49:49 am »

Ah, come on, I was not the biggest fan of Houllier but he has done some good things for the club too.
I think he has also contributed to where we are now (although I must admit I have not got a clue where that is sometimes ...;))

Offline Pr0n

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1346 on: April 20, 2009, 10:02:13 am »
Stan never was the sharpest tool in the cabinet, but it's almost astonishing in how many ways he makes an embarrasment of himself in such a short article. His editor must be pretty happy, as it's shit-stirring in so many ways and should be well worth the money.

It's little short of a homeresque accomplishment.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 10:12:07 am by Pr0n »
To new beginnings!

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1347 on: April 20, 2009, 10:10:35 am »

"Titter  Ye  Not!"

Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #1348 on: April 20, 2009, 10:11:21 am »
Stan never was the sharpest tool in the collection, but it's almost astonishing in how many ways he makes an embarrasment of himself in such a short article. His editor must be pretty happy, as it's shit-stirring in so many ways and should be well worth the money.

It's little short of a homeresque accomplishment.
dont insult homer simposon.
Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #1349 on: April 20, 2009, 10:14:55 am »
I've watched the interview a few times and the bit I keep coming back to is the 'him being a United ref... uhm... fan'.

It was a slip of the tongue... but still - quite often a slip of the tongue tells you everything you need to know.

You know what they say about slip of the tongue... hopefully Steve hackett will pick up on this and will not let Bennet or Riley refree for them again this season.
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #1350 on: April 20, 2009, 10:15:26 am »
First time I've ever seen Fergie rattled and all coz his mate 'Big Sam' interpreted something wrongly.

FFS Rafa smiles for the 1st time since arriving at Anfield when a goal is scored and what happens? he's berated for it? how many times have we seen old whiskey nose jump up and down (in an old mans sort of way) when his team score a goal?, but when our Gaffa smiles and shruggs his shoulders it's an offence which surely should not go unpunished. Celebrate a goal scored by your team, by a striker you bought for a club record? oh no you should sit down and say nothing or Big Sam sitting behind you wreathing at his side letting in another goal may take it the wrong way? dear oh dear.

I think I've just seen a chink in the Fergie armour, maybe even Fergie's 'Keegan moment', lets hope so.
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #1351 on: April 20, 2009, 10:15:34 am »
Loving the way this latest bullshit has backfired on alex and sam
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Pr0n

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1352 on: April 20, 2009, 10:16:15 am »
To new beginnings!

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1353 on: April 20, 2009, 10:22:09 am »

By Stan CollyDoggymore 20/04/2009

Stan the man

Mr Ferguson has accused Benitez of showing a lack of respect to Sam Allardyce during Blackburn's recent visit to Anfield.

Grow up, lads.

Mr Furguson has been at it for years, yet when someone steps up to the plate and challenges 'Mr Mind Games' its a disgrace to the game?

You every listened to this cretin on talksport? Im pretty sure 90% of what he says comes out of his clay-hole.

Stan, nobody cares what you say or think.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline mickl

• many mickls makes a muckl
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1354 on: April 20, 2009, 10:29:01 am »
Wait till Sir Whinge-bag finds out that Rafa broke in to Wembley on Friday night and relaid the pitch.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1355 on: April 20, 2009, 10:34:37 am »
Ferguson has long gotten away with making comments on other people in the game.  It's no laughing matter when the media end up portraying all these managers as the weaker animal, and by this I am thinking about the negative spin put on managers such as Wenger and Keegan, two vocal protagonists from past years.  The media behaved like lap-dogs for Ferguson and dutifully turned against the two managers by suggesting they were flawed in some way, with Wenger the press made him out to be crazed and played on the fact he is foreign to these shores.  His teams were 'too foreign' and the press took glee in counting the number of English nationals in his squad.  When this didn't suffice, the media then went down the 'crazy Wenger' route, highlighting his manic gestures during a game and his outspoken comments on Ferguson and other managers as evidence of this. 
In Keegan's case the press rounded on him for being passionate and 'too attacking'.  I wonder how many goals Newcastle conceded that year in comparison with other league winning sides.  Goal difference was not something the press every talked about, it was all about Newcastle conceding and being too gung-ho, this translated into Keegan being a poor manager who should consider himself lucky to be in the position he was.  As Keegan's hair turned from black to white the media then pounced on the 'stress' angle and destroyed him, culminating in the 'love it' rant from Keegan which gave the media all the ammunition they needed.
The only manager to successfully buck the trend in recent years was Mourinho, and it was probably more to do with Ferguson announcing his retirement than anything.  If Ferguson goes, who will be the daddy?  Who will be the darling of the back pages when he goes?  Mourinho was young, handsome and in charge of the richest club in the world, he had sound-bites and had even beaten Ferguson in the CL with Porto.  Of course, once Ferguson decided he wasn't going after all the press billed both managers equally, you seldom saw an article with any 'angle' on either manager at that time.  The press were too afraid of either of them to upset them.
Fast forward to the present day.  A manager is on the block who knows exactly how to manipulate the press.  Benitez uses the press as he pleases.  He knows that he can't just come out with outrageous comments aimed at an established manager like Ferguson, because the press will label it with derision and call him a wacky foreigner, like Wenger.  If Benitez had come out with what Ferguson has just said, then the press would have a field day.  However, when Ferguson starts such a story it is treated like the scientific fact and Ferguson's judgement is at no time questioned.
So the only way Benitez can fight him is with 'facts' as he puts it.  Benitez HAD to make a list of factual occurences because he knew that any discrepancy would be pounced upon by the press and would render the rest of his arguement 'mad'.  The press circled the story for a couple of days, labelled it 'Rafas Rant' and then let the story drop.  Why?  Benitez offered journalists the ideal platform to construct an investigation into Ferguson's behaviour and irregularities in the way United are treated compared with every other club in the country.  But who took on the story?  Nobody.  Too risky, Ferguson's too scary, holds too much power.
Thankfully Benitez understands this and thankfully 99% of Liverpool fans are untrusting of the media which is based on a couple of things but the most recent being the lies told by The Sun newspaper as to the events surrouding the Hillsborough disaster.  The newspapers can write what they like about Benitez because it doesn't hold any sway within the corridors of Anfield or on the terraces. 
Ferguson uses the press in the same way that the old Eastern Bloc tsar's used their own media, to whip people into a frenzy and shift public opinion on any one of a number of issues.  If you put any stock in Ferguson's comments then more fool you.  When all is said and done and the bright lights and loud bangs subside on his Old Trafford reign, you'll do well to look closely at his record at Old Trafford and see the real reasons why United are where they are now.  A mixture of luck, money and timing is Ferguson's Old Trafford tale and is patently obvious when you look at the bare facts.  I can't point them out to people because that's not for me to do, either you WANT to understand or you let yourself be told what happened.  It's your choice.

Offline Mecca Kenny 77

• Main Stander
« Reply #1356 on: April 20, 2009, 10:46:00 am »
Collymore was the one who ran home to mama when he should be playing football. Talking about professionalism...sheesh, go look in the mirror collymore... you are a has been, and without the goal against Newcastle (which much work goes to Fowler by the way) you are never were.

Offline TLT

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1357 on: April 20, 2009, 10:49:38 am »

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #1358 on: April 20, 2009, 10:54:55 am »
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline catorce

• Main Stander
« Reply #1359 on: April 20, 2009, 10:59:04 am »
The James Lawton article has now been attributed to Sam Wallace on the website (as it was on SSN this morning, so I presume that's right).