Author Topic: Even if I’m glad they’ve gone I'll miss Leeds. Yes dirty Leeds.  (Read 5001 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
So as the reality hits, and we realise that next year we’ll not see certain faces at Anfield, faces we took for granted looking from the Kop looking to the tunnel (even if some of us didn’t really want them there) how do you really feel about losing not just Ged, and maybe other members of the coaching staff to pastures new, but Leeds to the lower divisions?

I’m a 70’s supporter, and that means a childhood spent hating Leeds, Nottingham Forest, and yes Man Utd. I couldn’t be really arsed with the Mancs though, Utd were no real threat to us, unlike Don Revie’s boys in white – the most inappropriate colour for his bunch of boxers to wear.

Norman Hunter – Tommy Smith without the skill, Hotshot Lorimer, Billy the boxing Bremner – taking on our Kevin in fisticuffs… Joe I-look-like-the-Krakken-from-Highlander-Jordan and so on ...

To the young un’s amongst us these names may mean nowt. But to us of them days they were the Keane, the Tony Adams, the Scholes of today. Not to be respected necessarily, but to be aware of. Or wary of. They played hard and dirty. So I grew up hating them. Then suddenly Revie was off to Arabia via the England job and Leeds went downhill as we became Europe's dominant team.

They went all the way downhill (with some minor up slopes) to today where I find at the end of a bizarre season, I almost miss them. Leeds, to me were one of the big clubs in England; I always looked for their fixtures against us. And though I have no love for them at all, they have gone in a sad sad way. It’s a mixture of laughter and pity.

To see a foe vanquished not through effort but through financial stupidity, makes me really sad. And angry at the way footy has gone today.

We've got a Russian buying up players like the kid with the Anderlecht sticker in Panini – buying whole collections cos he can. In contrast Leeds have seemed to have 32 managers unsure who their owner is from one hour to the next and have had 32p to spend. Actually can we have that back?

We've got a manager down the M62 still in his job despite the fact he:

a) utterly ignored the FA all season
b) and the press
c) got his best player banned for most of the season through dimness
d) lost millions on tranfers

In contrast at Chelsea Ranieri is sacked because, or despite the fact, he came 2nd in the League and only reached the semis of the Champions League. Football's gone mad.

I’m glad they’ve gone cos they’re Leeds, Dirty Leeds, but I’m also sad they’ve gone. Because with them goes a bit of my childhood and another piece of how it used to be.

People said last season was a watershed season but it’s this one coming up. This is the start of the new way in life. Liverpool sacking a manager, Man Utd on the way down, Ferguson impotent with rage. Wenger imperious at the helm. Chelsea a sideshow at the circus, Newcastle a spent force and no Leeds.

But wait … what’s this? Norwich in the top division?

How the wheel turns.

© hinesy 2004
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 05:29:01 pm by Rushian »
Yep.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
read this in todays guardian - Martin Kettle is a Leeds fan and reckons they're not a big club - partly as they've been relegated since the 70's yet I recall this happening to Man Utd...
Any other old un's reckon Leeds are a big club or not ?

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1224659,00.html
Yep.

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Modern football is shit
Read that on the train this morning, and thought it was a bunch of pretentious middle class toss

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
Read that in the Bentley this morning, and thought it was a bunch of pretentious middle class toss

:o
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Roddysul

suppose I'm a bit of an old-un -  and I fuckin hate Leeds

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
and are you honestly totally glad to see them go down Roddy ?
Yep.

Roddysul

yep -

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
Lovely work, fella, but I disagree quite fundamentally! I despise Leeds, and I am happy to see them go.

No Yorkshire team in the top flight.   ;D

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
I know some decent Leeds fans and am sorry for them. :(

But...

I also know some that are complete bastards and I'm not sorry for them at  all. >:(

Anyway their teams have a habit of kicking us. :wanker

So they can get lost :D

Bye! :wave
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan

No Yorkshire team in the top flight.   ;D

Their new manager kevin Blackwell is a cousin of mine, so don't expect to see them in Division 1 for too long. If Northampton Town get promoted next season, I will hopefully be having him round for a cup of tea. 

Offline Tiger Tony

• Ginger knob who used to be barred from the Crows Nest. Will scweam and scweam and scweam if he doesn't get a Cardiff ticket. Aluminium. Thinks he's clever.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Even if I’m glad they’ve gone I'll miss Leeds. Yes dirty Leeds.
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 11:56:33 am »
As me bro lives in Leeds now, and his mate, it is their one home game a season gone!

Offline Yasar

• Phantom Desk Shitter
  • Kopite
  • Doug Stanhope appreciation society
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 09:43:34 pm »
That was an avergae article made up by a brilliant ending.

Can't stand Leeds.

"Yorkshire people born and bred...
...thick in arm, thick in head."
They proved that if you quit smoking, it will prolong your life. What they haven't proved is that a prolonged life is a good thing. I haven't seen the stats on that yet.
-Bill Hicks

MalW

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 09:54:06 pm »
Have to agree with you Hinesy. I too used to stand on the Kop and hate while admiring the likes of Allan Clark, Johnny Giles, Paul Madeley and Mick Jones. It was a simpler game played by Bluecollar Men, who cared about trophies and not Jaguars.  I will always remember those daft tabs they had with their numbers on to keep their socks up. What is disappointing more than anything is that a peice of our youth goes with them, even though they don't resemble their illustrious 70's team. I feel for Leeds fans as they have always remained loyal and fanatical even during the dark days. It is sad to think that two years ago when they beat us at Anfield to go top of the league, they had the World at their feet now, they will have to go to Plymouth and Gillingham and battle for their lives in the Nationwide.

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2004, 07:35:47 pm »
The past few seasons playing at Elland Rd have been a pain in the arse.  Fucking half twelve kick offs, no ale house open until twelve if it was a Sunday and some dickhead of a chief steward who thought he was Dirty Harry.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline mr_mad_master

• Posts Utter Shite
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mwa
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2004, 11:16:03 am »
best mates a leeds boy and I'm a little sad to see them go as we had a real rivalry when ever we clashed. when they finished 16th the season before last I told him you'll be gone next season and then about 3/4 of the way through they started to pull it together and they started to see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel but it wasnt to be and overall I'm glad theyve gone down hope they stay down this coming season and then come up hope we face them in the f.a cup just so we can have a little bit of rivalry but i still want to be able to remind him your in div.1 ;D
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 77 78 81 84 05