Author Topic: Has not being in Europe this season had any effect on the club?  (Read 8272 times)

Offline Beerbelly

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Has not being in Europe this season had any effect on the club?
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2012, 10:53:06 am »
I think Europe would have hindered us to be honest.

We arent doing well in the league and playing more games gives us the chance of picking up more injuries.

So perhaps better we we are not in cup competitions if you worry about injuries. I'm lost on some of the clap trap written at times how can the fact we could pick up injuries in Europe be a pretext to doing better by not being in a european competition. I long for the days of twelve players and get on with it. Then it wont matter how many squad members you have. Would save all the teams a fortune. All this balls about resting players and the similar arguments i really find pointless. Anyhow hope we can get through tonight and at least we have something to build on as clearly the current playing staff aint playing with the kind of spirit and fight to challenge for the league or last in any european comp. shame but i think need to be realistic now and i dont want people coming back with arguments about gerrard out and no money.... we have not preformed and the manager needs to sort it otherwise his earlier achievements will not keep him from the chop. i like the guy but some of his choices and selections have puzzled me over last couple of months

Offline henry

• Anny Roader
  • My chicken is better than yours
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2012, 11:06:05 am »
Some people mentioned that less games to play mean we would be able to focus on the league which haven't paid off, i agree but that also the reason we are still in both of the league cup and the FA cup. - Positive

we have signed 4 first team players (Adam, Henderson, Downing and Bellamy), + Carroll wasn't 100% match fit and settle in the summer mean without the europe games, all those players mentioned above had less time to gel as well as less time for Kenny to try out best formation to include all those player. This also mean that the first few league cup group games had to use it for the new players to gel instead of the usual which we use those game for fridge players or youngster. - Negative

Less game also mean less income for the club and less chances for supporters and fans to watch the mighty red play and experience Anfield. - Negative

It is not impossible, its just improbable

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2012, 11:09:50 am »
I don't understand this negativity towards the Europa League. Sure the money incentive is bollocks compared to the Champions League but it would have given us more games to watch, allowed fringe players and youngsters games and gave us a very good shot at another trophy. If we don't turn our noses up at the League Cup then why would we turn our noses up at the Europa League? I don't see how not being in the Europa has had much of an improvement on our league form considering we are 7th and behind a Newcastle who aren't in Europe either. If we couldn't handle the extra games in the Europa League then how the fuck would we handle the Champions League if we ever get back in it?

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2012, 11:42:23 am »
I don't understand this negativity towards the Europa League. Sure the money incentive is bollocks compared to the Champions League but it would have given us more games to watch, allowed fringe players and youngsters games and gave us a very good shot at another trophy. If we don't turn our noses up at the League Cup then why would we turn our noses up at the Europa League? I don't see how not being in the Europa has had much of an improvement on our league form considering we are 7th and behind a Newcastle who aren't in Europe either. If we couldn't handle the extra games in the Europa League then how the fuck would we handle the Champions League if we ever get back in it?

I see where you're coming from, but did you attend any Europa League games last season? Neither the fans or players were up for them. Maybe it was due to Thursday night football and obscure kick off times, or teams from the fag end of Europe who we've never heard of, or maybe it was a bit of both?

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2012, 12:48:31 pm »
You could possibly argue we wouldn't be as far in the Carling Cup if we'd had the Europa games, especially with excellent wins away at Chelsea, Stoke and also City

But I find it hard to think we'd be any worse off in the league had we had the run of Sunday/Thursday/Sunday games than we are now
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2012, 01:50:09 pm »
I see where you're coming from, but did you attend any Europa League games last season? Neither the fans or players were up for them. Maybe it was due to Thursday night football and obscure kick off times, or teams from the fag end of Europe who we've never heard of, or maybe it was a bit of both?

I can understand why people wouldn't be up for travelling all the way across Europe to play some obscure Polish side but it's still Europe and an adventure. You can get some pretty good clubs in it, like the Portuguese clubs last season. Might not compare to your Bayern's or Barcelona's but still, it may took us awhile to get back to that level. Never went to any myself but I have mates who did and the general consensus was they'd rather be out of it. Maybe attitudes will change now that Europa may be the best we'll get for the forseeable future?

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2012, 02:02:09 pm »
And the pressure of having to 'qualify' for Europe will be gone, which in turn will probably result in us playing a better, more relaxed style of football.
Nothing gonna make you fail like the pressure of having to win.

Well this sums it up for me.

We should always be about winning trophies for starters.....any trophy.  But the fact we havent won a trophy since 2006 is a huge thing for this club.  We need that put to bed.

Success breeds success.

But on top of this the point you make is very true.  There is a hell of a lot of pressure on the club at the moment.  And that will never dissappear, quite rightly.  We aim to be the best.

But having a trophy in the bag, and knowing we are at least competing in Europe next season, will do wonders for confidence, nerves, and will hopefully bring out the best in what is clearly a talented squad.  The more these guys can enjoy their football, the better the results will be.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2012, 04:58:23 pm »
That's the spirit, eh!

more of this please
I'm just stating the facts, not eluding to what I believe.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2012, 05:13:23 pm »
I can understand why people wouldn't be up for travelling all the way across Europe to play some obscure Polish side but it's still Europe and an adventure. You can get some pretty good clubs in it, like the Portuguese clubs last season. Might not compare to your Bayern's or Barcelona's but still, it may took us awhile to get back to that level. Never went to any myself but I have mates who did and the general consensus was they'd rather be out of it. Maybe attitudes will change now that Europa may be the best we'll get for the forseeable future?

I attended all home Europa League games last season including the 2 qualifying rounds. Napoli apart, where the atmosphere was hostile, you could have put all the other home games together and you wouldn't have created an atmosphere. Having said that, if we do qualify for it next season I will continue to attend matches as I love watching LFC whatever the competition.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2012, 05:34:02 pm »
Natural progression going from 6th last season to 7th after halfway through the season, all that after spending shit loads and effectively having a handicap last season (With Hodgson in charge?), anything but progression thus far mate.

Where were we in the league and cups January 2011?

Wait until May, good god lad a bit of patience wouldn't go amiss. One shite performance against Bolton and all of a sudden we're a broken vehicle - the wheels are coming off and we're about to crash, burn and die.

"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline lesknow

• Main Stander
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2012, 06:11:58 pm »
I'm just stating the facts, not eluding to what I believe.
Just found it a bit backwards that we should be reconsidering a possible route to success.
No worries, though. I'm off to watch...Come on lads!
I think this was 2001, in the Texas state legislature, they were trying to outlaw sodomy, while at the SAME time, trying to repeal the law against bestiality.
So potentially, you couldn't make love in the privacy of your own home, but you'd be able to go down to the local pound & have a good ol LEGAL Texas style dawg fuckin!
DO NOT MESS WITH TEXAS