Author Topic: George Michael Has Died  (Read 8461 times)

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: George Michael Has Died
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2016, 06:53:32 pm »
Had a session of playing all his old songs, including Wham.

He wrote and produced nearly every hit (not the sly modern day phenomenon of the co-credit, but everything). Compare that to the puppets today who can't write or produce anything themselves.

What a talented individual ... some of his earlier songs are just brilliant pop music. Even singles that weren't released.

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2016, 09:49:23 pm »
Legendary.

Your memory, music, kindness and generosity will live on.

RIP George. You will be missed. My favourite of all time.

You were truly blessed with an AMAZING talent.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2016, 10:13:26 pm »
Performed some extraordinary acts of generosity and philanthropy during his time on earth by all accounts, and the anecdote about the Lennon piano seems to sum the man up.

Fastlove was a real musical turning point for him and a cultural turning point for the a lot of people I think. It was a brave, funny and very human response to an incident which would have crumpled the careers of many, especially coming in the twilight of the world's panic and fantasy about AIDS.

I was too young for Wham and I was too 'cool' for him during his musical second coming around the Fastlove era, so I have no immediate affection for his music, but he had a sublime pop voice, no better exhibited than in this Freddie Mercury Tribute from 1992 (when he was only 29 - it's easy to forget what he achieved at such a young age):

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UvM2Cmi-YRU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UvM2Cmi-YRU</a>

It's obvious from the affection shown since his death and all the charities paying tribute to him that the world will almost certainly be poorer without him.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2016, 11:08:00 pm »
What a bloke. What a fucking bloke.

He was always one of those artists I considered a bit too cheesy to really 'love' but I loved him nonetheless. I loved his voice, his showmanship, his ability as a lyricist. I just never really thought of him as in that top bracket. Looking back, I think I was right not to (in purely musical terms) but still - what a fucking talent he was.

No, what really set him apart was his dignity. His honesty. His intelligence and his authenticity. Those are the things I'll remember George Michael for above all else. To carry yourself with such composure and humour in the face of endless provocation, endless humiliation is the mark of a truly remarkable man.

Fuck the tabloid press and everything they tried to do to him. Once again, it's proved that the great and the good may only get true recognition once they're no longer around to receive it.

RIP George.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2016, 11:14:36 am »
You look at the inlay covers of some of his albums and on some songs George was playing nearly every single instrument on a few songs, as well as writing the damn song and then producing it. Phenomonal.

Prince and Jacko were two other artists who were of similar ilk, who were just supermemely talented beyond words.

Even if you aren't a fan of their works, you can't fail to be impressed with their talent.

Are their many modern day artists who produce and write their own material? *not the sly co-credits that have been designed to save artistic face. Remember the controversy Madonna get's co-writing credits for adding a few addlibs like 'oh baby'.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2017, 11:25:36 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ABhZQ_VRbsQ&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ABhZQ_VRbsQ&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2017, 05:03:03 pm »
You look at the inlay covers of some of his albums and on some songs George was playing nearly every single instrument on a few songs, as well as writing the damn song and then producing it. Phenomonal.

Prince and Jacko were two other artists who were of similar ilk, who were just supermemely talented beyond words.

Even if you aren't a fan of their works, you can't fail to be impressed with their talent.

Are their many modern day artists who produce and write their own material? *not the sly co-credits that have been designed to save artistic face. Remember the controversy Madonna get's co-writing credits for adding a few addlibs like 'oh baby'.
Stevie Wonder says hello.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2017, 05:25:16 pm »
Stevie Wonder says hello.

Not wanting to turn this into a 'my favourite musician is better than your favourite musician', Jacko didn't write all of his music, in fact he wrote less than half of the tracks on Thriller. Talented man yes, but Ron Temperton and Quincy Jones were a big part of the huge success of Thriller.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2017, 05:34:30 pm »
Not wanting to turn this into a 'my favourite musician is better than your favourite musician', Jacko didn't write all of his music, in fact he wrote less than half of the tracks on Thriller. Talented man yes, but Ron Temperton and Quincy Jones were a big part of the huge success of Thriller.
I saw Rod back in 76/77 in a few dives in London when he was playing in Heatwave...he was a talented cat..didn't have Michael's moves tho. ;D

I agree...the Q was massively important to Michael's success...but Michael was massive before then anyway...I love Prince...I even like some of George Michael's stuff....but Stevie's on a whole other level in comparison.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2017, 11:19:38 am »
He was a phenomenal musician indeed, RIP George.