Author Topic: The Daily Mail  (Read 80916 times)

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Daily Mail
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2016, 09:07:05 am »
The Guardian having a go at The Daily Fail and their ilk.

Refugees and Cindy Crawford’s daughter: an age-old problem for the tabloids - By Marina Hyde

The front pages show that the press is still confused about how to deal with difficult feelings

Ooh, it’s the age-old question, isn’t it? How old is OK? When are they old enough? When is it OK to say that something was justified because they didn’t look like a child to you? I notice the Daily Mail this week deploying the famous hair test to determine whether or not it’s OK to go there. Wait – maybe that wasn’t clear and you thought I was talking about another type of hair? Guys, of course not! I’m talking about hair on the upper lip. Look at that one – it’s got bumfluff and it’s flaunting its smile. If anything, it’s us that’s going to be taken advantage of. Old muggins here is going to put out for another little chancer.

But you see the problem. Sometimes it’s really difficult to know whether we’re on about refugees coming to the UK, or underage children of celebrities that you shouldn’t feel bad about having sexual feelings for. Or maybe not you, but whoever chose the “gorgeous” paparazzi picture of the 11-year-old, or wrote the “leggy” picture caption to accompany it. Or whoever decides that the “child” in the phrase “child refugee” can now only appear in print in inverted commas.

Occasionally, it’s almost as if the Mail is deliberately trying to rip a tear in the age-appropriate continuum. Consider Thursday’s front page. The main headline ran: “Give ‘child migrants’ age tests, says Straw.” And right next to it was a picture of Cindy Crawford and her 15-year-old daughter, with an exhortation to “spot the difference”. Well, now you’re asking. I used to be sure it was something about one of them being a child, but I’m starting to lose my bearings. Also: can I give Cindy’s daughter an age test? She looks “older”. Say what you like about political correctness, it will never take our inverted commas from us.

Even so, whenever they’re talking about individuals of indeterminate age – be it refugees or hot minors – I always find it helpful to think of the Mail as engaged in a dangerously perverse take on George Carlin’s famous routine about words you can’t say on TV. “I can prick my finger,” he mused. “But I can’t finger my prick.”

Of course, Lost in Showbiz would like to stress that it’s not just the Mail that’s a bit “confused” about age. When Adam Johnson was found guilty of sexual activity with a 15-year-old this year, the RAG lost no time in denouncing the “pervert footballer”, despite having run pictures of Cindy’s Crawford’s aforementioned daughter during the trial, in which readers were invited to enjoy her “shapely pins”. She was 14 at the time.

Still, maybe the paper knew something we didn’t. Maybe it was using the same two-bit age-recognition software on which the Mail seem to be nosing its entire coverage of the child-refugee issue. It’s not to everyone’s taste, it must be said. I notice Gary Lineker has taken a lot of stick for appearing repulsed by the Mail’s angle – and he will doubtless take a lot more from the paper itself before it is done with him. In case you missed this – Gary reacted to the front page querying the ages of some of the refugees leaving the Calais camp for the UK with a tweet reading: “The treatment by some towards these young refugees is hideously racist and utterly heartless. What’s happening to our country?”

How unforgivable that Gary should have failed to understand the Mail’s byzantine etiquette around the issue of age. He can’t say it hasn’t given him special insights. In fact, it wasn’t all that long ago that I saw a Mail headline inquiring suggestively: “So who’s the younger lady, Gaz?” over a picture of Gary with his “pretty stepdaughter”, who at the time was 11.

At least she was older than Heidi Klum’s daughter, described as a “leggy beauty”, who “showed off her best model walk through the parking lot” after a paparazzo caught her coming out of gym class. She was eight.

In some ways, though, it is through the prism of fathers and daughters that we can gain the most insight into the tabloid view of age. A year ago, I was deeply moved by a rather angsty column written by the Sun’s former editor Kelvin MacKenzie, shortly after José Mourinho had attended an award ceremony with his daughter wearing a dress that seemed to have aroused Kelvin. Aroused him to anger, I should stress. Although I suspect what Kelvin was really saying was that he found the picture appealing – certainly he must have, at some level, to have embarked on such a lengthy deflection mission. “If I were José Mourinho, I wouldn’t be impressed with my 18-year-old daughter,” he fretted. “Surely, no father would enjoy seeing his daughter wear so little.” I bet Donald Trump would. But if Kelvin prefers an answer closer to home, what about Sam Fox’s dad, whose permission he sought to print topless pictures of her when she was 16?

Making Kelvin sound like a moral philosopher, meanwhile, is Tory MP David Davies (not the Brexit secretary – the other one). By chance, I wrote about David last week, when he made some sally in the Great Brexit Marmite wars. This week, he pops up again, declaring from a couple of photos of the Calais refugees that they “don’t look like children”, and demanding they be subjected to dental tests.

Back then to that question: when is it OK to justify something with the observation that they “don’t look like children”? I’m just feeling my way on this. If you are a Tory MP, and about to deploy the phrase “They don’t look like a child”, you need to first ask yourself an important question. Are you looking at pictures of a) a little minx in a miniskirt, or b) someone who has fled a war zone and has been living in a tented migrant camp for months or even years? If it’s a), then it’s not OK, because times have moved on and we’re all a little more enlightened about which bits of our mind palaces we can open to the public. But if it’s b), it’s still totally fine to say it out loud.

David’s such a headline-seeking brainiac that I half expect him to roll out this plan to the Premier League, and demand that the big clubs fund in-nightclub dental screening to guarantee the age of the females the players might want to do it with later. Or maybe the bars could install booths fitted with the shonky age-guessing software the Mail are using?

Failing that, maybe someone could invent some software through which kid-related newspaper copy could be fed, in order to determine whether it’s “bravely saying the things that ought to be said” or “obviously fucking gross”. Consider this exhibit from a Sun article – featuring all! the! shocking! photos! – about a child beauty pageant: “CAVORTING provocatively in a tiny pink swimsuit and clutching a cuddly stuffed kitten, little Ocean Orrey struts her stuff in a British beauty pageant – aged just FOUR.”

So, as we play out, readers, remember: it’s never OK to share pictures of four-year-olds and say they’re “cavorting provocatively” – unless you’re a national newspaper. I mean that seriously. I think you can literally be arrested for it.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/lostinshowbiz/2016/oct/20/refugees-and-cindy-crawfords-daughter-an-age-old-problem-for-the-tabloids
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: November 2, 2016, 01:44:29 pm »
A truly disgusting paper, kinda hoped the anti foreigner rhetoric would calm down now they've pushed Brexit through but I guess not

"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: November 2, 2016, 02:03:56 pm »
I had no idea all the thousands of drivers I've seen on mobiles were Polish. Bastards!
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: November 2, 2016, 04:23:21 pm »
They seem to be in a race with the rag to see who can be the most xenophobic.

Truly shocking racist headlines of late.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #124 on: November 2, 2016, 05:14:19 pm »
Funny cos I saw several English people driving all manner of cars, vans on phones this morning on a 4mile journey to work. I also got some c*nt white van driver honking his horn whilst on his mobile because no way was he going to stop at the roundabout with only one hand on the wheel even though I had right of way.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #125 on: November 2, 2016, 05:15:47 pm »
Funny cos I saw several English people driving all manner of cars, vans on phones this morning on a 4mile journey to work. I also got some c*nt white van driver honking his horn whilst on his mobile because no way was he going to stop at the roundabout with only one hand on the wheel even though I had right of way.

You must be mistaken, they were clearly immigrants.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #127 on: November 2, 2016, 09:18:53 pm »
A truly disgusting paper, kinda hoped the anti foreigner rhetoric would calm down now they've pushed Brexit through but I guess not

Makes me ashamed to live in this country

Disgusting, disgraceful filth
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: November 3, 2016, 03:46:34 pm »

I understand them getting mad at the first 2, but they chose to go for the gay tag, really? c*nts. His sexuality is utterly irrelevant
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: November 3, 2016, 03:57:31 pm »

I understand them getting mad at the first 2, but they chose to go for the gay tag, really? c*nts. His sexuality is utterly irrelevant
and him being an ex Olympic fencer, but he probably didn't medal so that's good reason to use that against him

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #130 on: November 3, 2016, 04:51:15 pm »

Fuck sake.

They always find a way to lower the bar.

At what point does this become hate speech and not freedom of expression?

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: November 3, 2016, 04:52:46 pm »
If he's an ex-Olympic fencer then he will have mixed with all sorts of foreigners at the Olympics so can't possibly be neutral in the issue. And what is someone gay doing being allowed to make judgements on non-gay issues?

Incensed of Sunderland
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #132 on: November 3, 2016, 10:35:28 pm »
I thought this is what they wanted British courts making British laws

For a second I thought they were giving away a giant mop tomorrow.

« Last Edit: November 3, 2016, 10:39:51 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #133 on: November 3, 2016, 10:38:00 pm »
Absolutely disgusting.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 3, 2016, 10:59:48 pm »
They just get worse and worse and worse and they were always awful.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #135 on: November 4, 2016, 12:59:18 am »
That front page is spine-chillingly dangerous. I don't think it can be understated just how shocking it is.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #136 on: November 4, 2016, 02:05:45 am »
That front page is spine-chillingly dangerous. I don't think it can be understated just how shocking it is.

You've seen nothing yet

"A crisis as grave as anything since the dark days when Churchill vowed we would fight them on the beaches".
« Last Edit: November 4, 2016, 02:11:12 am by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #137 on: November 4, 2016, 07:24:22 am »
I'm genuinely disgusted
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Greyfox

• Silver Fox's less distinguished brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird on my chest
« Reply #138 on: November 4, 2016, 09:53:33 am »
"Contempt of court, often referred to simply as "contempt", is the offence of being disobedient to or disrespectful towards a court of law and its officers in the form of behavior that opposes or defies the authority, justice, and dignity of the court.[1][2] It manifests itself in willful disregard of or disrespect for the authority of a court of law, which is often behavior that is illegal because it does not obey or respect the rules of a law court.[3][4]"

Bang the fucking lot of the Daily Nazi bastards up....else can someone tell me when the book burning and goose stepping starts.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: November 4, 2016, 09:55:15 am »
"Contempt of court, often referred to simply as "contempt", is the offence of being disobedient to or disrespectful towards a court of law and its officers in the form of behavior that opposes or defies the authority, justice, and dignity of the court.[1][2] It manifests itself in willful disregard of or disrespect for the authority of a court of law, which is often behavior that is illegal because it does not obey or respect the rules of a law court.[3][4]"

Bang the fucking lot of the Daily Nazi bastards up....else can someone tell me when the book burning and goose stepping starts.

I was just thinking during when i saw this headline and front page that they could be in contempt. Would be great for them to bring something forward.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #140 on: November 4, 2016, 09:59:41 am »
Fascist enablers.

Offline Greyfox

• Silver Fox's less distinguished brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird on my chest
« Reply #141 on: November 4, 2016, 10:05:42 am »
As for reciting Churchill...millions died to continue the tradition established since 1215 of a parliament in this country. The parliamentary democracy developed of hundreds of year since then.

These fuckers are essentially trying to stage a Coup d'Etat through the press.

So let Parliament discuss and debate the issue then...if it is that good an idea, what's to be afraid of?

"We are taking back power for our Parliament!!!" (....but only when it suits us.)

This way lies fucking disaster....

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #142 on: November 4, 2016, 10:12:21 am »
You've seen nothing yet

"A crisis as grave as anything since the dark days when Churchill vowed we would fight them on the beaches".

Christ on a fucking bike.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: November 4, 2016, 10:21:58 am »
Those front pages are absolutely disgusting!!!

We've already got 1 dead MP and a number of dead Poles!

It makes me want to vomit

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: November 4, 2016, 10:31:10 am »
It's quite sad that there are a generation of hermits who willfully swallow this tripe, to think they'll become a burden on the NHS as well in 10-20 years. They'll be complaining about health care cuts after stagnating our economy with this ridiculous referendum.

This is starting to feel like an event that people will look back on in 50 years time and wonder how we let it happen.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2016, 10:32:50 am by thelinnen »
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: November 4, 2016, 11:26:04 am »
Their front page for the Jo Cox tragedy described a "loner with mental health issues" going after her. They know exactly what kind of fire they're stoking

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: November 4, 2016, 11:26:39 am »
Quite ironically kelvin mckenzie has said he's glad this has happened, probably cancelled his column after that

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: November 4, 2016, 11:42:53 am »
I was just thinking during when i saw this headline and front page that they could be in contempt. Would be great for them to bring something forward.
hopefully someone foreign does this

Offline lorenzo

• Kopite
« Reply #148 on: November 4, 2016, 12:04:49 pm »
Absolutely disgusting.
Its kind of the norm now.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #149 on: November 4, 2016, 12:13:42 pm »

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: November 4, 2016, 12:14:19 pm »

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: November 4, 2016, 12:15:01 pm »

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: November 4, 2016, 12:16:20 pm »
I don't come into this thread very often, but when I do , I always feel the need to walk away, have a shower, and rub myself down with a wire brush.

Just when you think the humanity of this country can't sink any lower, the Daily Fail never disappoint.

Abhorrent  shower, the lot of them.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #153 on: November 4, 2016, 12:16:23 pm »
Good grief.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: November 4, 2016, 12:16:49 pm »

Offline kaiser franz

• Kopite
« Reply #155 on: November 4, 2016, 12:38:52 pm »
Wow judging by those articles its the fricking miracle that you didnt ally nazis in ww2.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #156 on: November 4, 2016, 01:05:21 pm »
Good fucking god I've never seen that before.

The Express was founded as a fascist propaganda outlet. They never made any secret of that whatsoever. In fact, they were proud of it.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: November 4, 2016, 01:16:07 pm »

Only just over 400,000 Express readers left.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: November 4, 2016, 01:20:25 pm »
The Express used the Judea declares front page in their own press pack:

http://images.express.co.uk/pdfs/ExpressFactbook.pdf

Average age of their readers is 59. They are dying off.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: November 4, 2016, 01:28:01 pm »
Only just over 400,000 Express readers left.

Does that account for website hits too? With the age of the internet they're able to spread their bile over a much larger area. I read the Daily Mail website is one of the most read English websites in the world