Author Topic: Horror as entire family of elephants slaughtered for ivory  (Read 9532 times)

Offline Juneau

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Horror as entire family of elephants slaughtered for ivory
« on: January 9, 2013, 07:13:18 pm »
Armed wildlife rangers on Tuesday night fanned out across eastern Kenya in pursuit of ivory poachers who killed an entire family of 12 elephants in the country's worst single such slaughter since the 1980s.

Eleven adults and one infant calf died in a "targeted and efficient" attack highlighting the growing professionalism of poachers bankrolled by international criminals supplying soaring demand for ivory in the Far East.

Six of the animals lay in one heap, their tusks hacked out with machetes.

None of the family group managed to flee further than 300 yards before they were gunned down and their ivory removed.
The calf, less than a year old, is believed to have been crushed by its dying mother as she fell to the ground.

"It is unimaginable, a heinous, heinous crime," said Paul Udoto, spokesman for the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS).

"We have not seen such an incident in recent memory, it's the worst single loss that we have on record, and our records go back almost 30 years.

"These were professional killers. The attack was targeted and efficient."

The poachers, armed with automatic rifles, had already fled but there were hopes last night that a massive search involving foot patrols, a dozen vehicles and three aircraft could still find them.

"Every possible resource is being deployed to track down these criminals," Mr Udoto said. "They will feel the full force of the law."

But the area where the elephants were killed, in the north of Kenya's largest wildlife reserve, Tsavo East National Park, is sparsely populated, has few roads, and lies close to Kenya's border with Somalia.

Privately, conservationists said they feared the poachers and their haul of 22 tusks, worth an estimated GBP175,000 on the Asian market, would already have escaped.

The attack was the latest in a surge of elephant deaths that has seen the number of the animals killed for their ivory in Kenya increase sevenfold in five years, from fewer than 50 in 2007 to 360 in 2012, according to KWS figures.

The increase has led many wildlife experts to declare the current situation a crisis worse even than the mass slaughter of Africa's elephants in the 1970s and 1980s, which led to a global ivory trade ban in 1989.

"Now the situation is far graver, because we have fewer elephants left, but the demand for ivory is far greater," said Iain Douglas-Hamilton, founder of the British and Kenyan organisation Save The Elephants.

"The only thing that will radically alter the situation now is somehow to lower that demand."

During the last six weeks, 20 elephants were found dead with their tusks hacked out in the Samburu ecosystem of northern Kenya alone. Three females were killed close to the Amboseli National Park in October.

Experts predict that many more are killed in the wilderness and their carcases never found.

Across Africa, the situation is the same, especially in Cameroon, the Central African Republic, Tanzania and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Teams at air and seaports in East Africa and the Far East seized more illegal African ivory in 2011 than at any time in the past, as its soaring price in the Far East drove a surge in poaching.

The figures for 2012, not yet fully collated, are expected to be worse.

Two average 10lb tusks from an adult female elephant are now worth more than GBP12,000 in China, close to double their value a decade ago. The new demand is driven by the country's booming middle class for whom carved ivory and tusk trinkets are a sign of wealth.

Occasional "one-off sales" to China and Japan of stockpiled ivory from southern Africa, most recently in 2008, are also blamed for restarting a market that had been dormant since the trade was banned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/kenya/9788733/Horror-as-entire-family-of-elephants-slaughtered-for-ivory.html

So, so sad. And all for a piece of Ivory that can be shown off to others as a status symbol.

A recent study found that almost 70 percent of Chinese people surveyed said they did not know an elephant died for its tusks to be taken.

If that study is to be believed, there is little to no hope that China's demands for ivory will stop. People need to be educated to learn that this is not right. Education is a long process sadly.

Do you think anything can be done to stop the poaching of Elephants and other endangered animals, or is it too late? I think it's too late to prevent this from getting worse. As China has grown, the demand for ivory has increased too.

It makes me incredibly sad when you read about things like this. How can something so beautiful, rare and innocent be killed for something so pointless?

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
Re: Horror as entire family of elephants slaughtered for ivory
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2013, 08:14:39 pm »
Read a piece over the weekend about drones being used in a private reserve in South Africa to protect a small number of white rhinos - the idea being to target the approach of poachers and direct resources towards them - so I'd suggest something similar here.  Or relocating the animals to areas which do not border such lawless, God awful places as Somalia.  As to education?  Waste of time quite frankly.  It most probably splits into those that simply don't give a fuck, and those who think that ivory comes from a plentiful and renewable source.  Slaughtering any poachers captured would be the best option as far as I'm concerned.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Carly

• Rafa Obsessive. Wales Rugby Union fan. Defianately!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2013, 10:33:17 pm »
 :no :no :no   :no :no :no :no :no :no :no

Offline kev_goss

• Lost: Remote control puppy. Please help reunite a tearful child with his pride and joy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Goodnight sweet girl gonna miss you
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:07:24 am »
Have to agree with maggie here, the only way we could see a decline in ivory trade Is to execute the poachers them selves when caught.
It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.
Dalai Lama

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 10:40:38 am »
Hear hear! Let's kill the Africans and leave whoever profits from the trade and the rich bastards who buy the finished products untouched.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:52:26 am »
Hear hear! Let's kill the Africans and leave whoever profits from the trade and the rich bastards who buy the finished products untouched.

Exactly.

It's disgusting and in no way condonable to kill an animal simply to use part of it to make an ornament or whatever but the traders and indeed buyers of end product are as much to blame as the poachers themselves.

If you buy an item containing ivory, or tigers teeth or skin (of an animal who has been murdered to obtain it’s skin/fur) you’re no better than the poacher out in the field in Africa shooting or trapping animals.

I am not expert on the illegal animal trade but have watched numerous documentaries and read a lot of articles and what shocks me the most of how open and in your face the trade of animal parts is in places like China. The most recent piece I watched was about was set around a market in Guangdong (near the boarder with Hong Kong) and I was dumfounded at the sheer amount and selection of animal parts which were for sale. One of the most disgusting was Shark Fins used predominately for Shark Fin Soup in China. They explained that in years gone by at weddings the family of the Bride and Groom would have Shark Fin Soup as a sign of affluence and it would be a celebration but as wedding parties have grown to 100’s of guests they now dish it up to every guest. They went on to explain that it was tasteless (in more than one sense of the word) and purely eaten as somewhat of a bragging exercise. Each shark would be able to supply 3 fins and there was thousands in the very small market stall.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline kev_goss

• Lost: Remote control puppy. Please help reunite a tearful child with his pride and joy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 12:19:35 pm »
So you leave the poachers to it then and go after the newly rich who want this stuff? Sorry but that will never happen. In my opinion the poachers need to be seen as an example when caught to deter others doing it. I wish I was good enough with words to truely describe how I feel about this scum.
It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.
Dalai Lama

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 12:29:57 pm »
So you leave the poachers to it then and go after the newly rich who want this stuff? Sorry but that will never happen. In my opinion the poachers need to be seen as an example when caught to deter others doing it. I wish I was good enough with words to truely describe how I feel about this scum.

No one is suggesting leaving the poachers to it. Well I certainly am not anyway.

You execute the poachers (your suggestion) all it will do is produce a gap for another poacher to step in.

It's just like any other trade. Take the drug trade for example. One big dealer might have 100 smaller dealers underneath them. Sure picking off the people at the bottom with have some impact but if you can take out the guy at the top you'll go further to eradicating the problem.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 12:39:46 pm »

The problem is that the illegal trafficking of wildlife is huge business, only third to drugs and human trafficking. I think it's worth something like $20 billion dollars annually, though of course the full extent can't be known. The risk of getting caught is very small, and the rewards are massive. People will always be ready to take that risk if in all likelihood they know they can get away with it.

We need a much more comprehensive effort to tackle this problem. We need better education, law enforcement and detection as well severe punishments for those caught in possession of illegal wildlife. Removing poachers won't make the supply chain disappear, and as long as the demand remains high, new poachers will always be available to do the dirty work.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 03:16:09 pm »
c*nts.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 07:48:05 pm »
No one is suggesting leaving the poachers to it. Well I certainly am not anyway.

You execute the poachers (your suggestion) all it will do is produce a gap for another poacher to step in.

It's just like any other trade. Take the drug trade for example. One big dealer might have 100 smaller dealers underneath them. Sure picking off the people at the bottom with have some impact but if you can take out the guy at the top you'll go further to eradicating the problem.

Exactly, whilst there is demand there will always be someone looking to supply.

You have to place the deterrent on those who knowingly are seeking these goods with meaningful punishments so that they consider their purchase more wisely.

This means policing the trade more vigorously, customs, monitoring high risk outlets, networking within the trade and bringing down the brokers and players. This requires time, money and resources at this end - and the same in the countries where poaching happens... squeeze hard at both ends and it makes the illegal industry far less attractive and profitable.

"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline JG

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 10:17:51 pm »
Fucking poachers, always happens but barely hear about it on the news....

Offline red bull

• Main Stander
  • 18, with class, style & dignity.
    • LFC Hereford AIB
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 10:46:39 pm »
I was in Tsavo 2 years ago and have just recently returned from the Masai Mara.
Such beautiful animals & so sad to read about this.
I hope the poachers and the ivory buyers get what they deserve.
"When 40,000 supporters stood as one and held their scaves up and belted out the most rousing rendition of 'You'll Never Walk Alone' some of us have ever heard, it felt humbling to feel such passion. One of the great sights in world football right there in front of you. People stared at each other in awe"..........

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 03:02:51 am »
I am not expert on the illegal animal trade but have watched numerous documentaries and read a lot of articles and what shocks me the most of how open and in your face the trade of animal parts is in places like China. The most recent piece I watched was about was set around a market in Guangdong (near the boarder with Hong Kong) and I was dumfounded at the sheer amount and selection of animal parts which were for sale. One of the most disgusting was Shark Fins used predominately for Shark Fin Soup in China. They explained that in years gone by at weddings the family of the Bride and Groom would have Shark Fin Soup as a sign of affluence and it would be a celebration but as wedding parties have grown to 100’s of guests they now dish it up to every guest. They went on to explain that it was tasteless (in more than one sense of the word) and purely eaten as somewhat of a bragging exercise. Each shark would be able to supply 3 fins and there was thousands in the very small market stall.

In the interests of disclosure, I eat animals of all kinds, this includes an occasional serving of sharks fin soup, which tastes pretty okay.

The statement that its eaten just to show off may be true for some people, but not all, and definitely no more than eating something like foie gras. Which there is controversy about as well.

If we were to go and say that French people were inherently sadistic, which is why they invented foie gras because they liked torturing animals, you'd probably be accused of being ill informed at the very least, and of racism at the very worst.
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline kev_goss

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 11:07:00 am »
Ok having slept on it I think the poachers, the suppliers and the buyers should all be punished. Who the hell do we think we are killing animals for orniments to hang on our walls.
Any kind of animal torture should be dealt with severely.
Dalai Lama

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 12:59:36 pm »
Good.  I take the view that poachers should be aware that when they're caught they're dead.  They simply disappear.  Should concentrate a few minds I reckon.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 01:38:03 pm »
In a world which is divided by conflict, man against man, religion against religion, it angers and hurts me almost to the point of tears (anger, frustration, sadness or all 3 i don't know) when i read things like this.

I have more time and compassion in my soul for animals than i do any human being. They pretty much do not harm us in any way unless in self defence. We supposedly won the survival of the fittest test by being civilised, well if that is the case, when did we lose that civility? These creatures cannot defend themselves as we can with our technology (although i wish they could, can you imagine a poachers face when faced by an elephant with a rifle?)

As for the treatment of poachers, sellers or buyers. Is there not already a law in place which makes buying and selling illegal? So those in possession are already breaking the law? Then the penalties need to be higher or more stringently imposed. ( in the army they would just receive a good kicking, but we are too pink and fluffy for that anymore!) . Either way it has to stop, slowly we are dstroying this planet and all it's natural beauty!

Offline kev_goss

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 02:41:18 pm »
In a world which is divided by conflict, man against man, religion against religion, it angers and hurts me almost to the point of tears (anger, frustration, sadness or all 3 i don't know) when i read things like this.

I have more time and compassion in my soul for animals than i do any human being. They pretty much do not harm us in any way unless in self defence. We supposedly won the survival of the fittest test by being civilised, well if that is the case, when did we lose that civility? These creatures cannot defend themselves as we can with our technology (although i wish they could, can you imagine a poachers face when faced by an elephant with a rifle?)

As for the treatment of poachers, sellers or buyers. Is there not already a law in place which makes buying and selling illegal? So those in possession are already breaking the law? Then the penalties need to be higher or more stringently imposed. ( in the army they would just receive a good kicking, but we are too pink and fluffy for that anymore!) . Either way it has to stop, slowly we are dstroying this planet and all it's natural beauty!

Excellently put mate. 
Dalai Lama

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 10:14:38 pm »
In the interests of disclosure, I eat animals of all kinds, this includes an occasional serving of sharks fin soup, which tastes pretty okay.

The statement that its eaten just to show off may be true for some people, but not all, and definitely no more than eating something like foie gras. Which there is controversy about as well.

If we were to go and say that French people were inherently sadistic, which is why they invented foie gras because they liked torturing animals, you'd probably be accused of being ill informed at the very least, and of racism at the very worst.

The cruelty involved in making foie gras is revolting. It's why making it is banned in a lot of places.  The French government claims it's part of their gastronomical heritage. I think that makes them at best disgracefully indifferent to animal suffering and sadistic c*nts at worst.

As far as shark fin soup goes, I am utterly indifferent to whether it tastes bland, great or foul. I can't see how anyone can in good conscience eat something that is a product of such utter barbarity. It's horrific.
DAMMIT!

Offline DougLFC94

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 10:36:58 pm »
That's bloody awful   :(

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 02:27:18 am »
The cruelty involved in making foie gras is revolting. It's why making it is banned in a lot of places.  The French government claims it's part of their gastronomical heritage. I think that makes them at best disgracefully indifferent to animal suffering and sadistic c*nts at worst.

As far as shark fin soup goes, I am utterly indifferent to whether it tastes bland, great or foul. I can't see how anyone can in good conscience eat something that is a product of such utter barbarity. It's horrific.

So are you opposed to the poor slaughtering practice, or eating animals in general? There is quite a big gap between the two.
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 10:05:04 am »
So are you opposed to the poor slaughtering practice, or eating animals in general? There is quite a big gap between the two.

Sensible people are not generally against the eating of meat, meat is not murder. What any animal rights protestor should be campaigning against is the manner in which animals they are slaughtered. And in fairness any right thinking person should be appalled by that too.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 06:13:40 pm »
Sensible people are not generally against the eating of meat, meat is not murder. What any animal rights protestor should be campaigning against is the manner in which animals they are slaughtered. And in fairness any right thinking person should be appalled by that too.

lol it's all murder, however it's also reality, to enjoy a healthy and balanced diet we eat meat. OK we could all live off leaves... but that's certainly not how we were intended, we have always had a carnivorous diet.

If we have to kill animals, it should be what the human race consider mandatory reasons and we should be efficient in how we then utilise said dead carcass so that the killing of the animal is justified as best as we possibly can for food and medicine, with any excess used for secondary purposes such as leather for example.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • History is made so we never forget
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 03:19:49 am »
This sickens me , as does any slaughtering  of so many beautiful animals .
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 12:18:54 pm »
I find anyone tying to justify such sickening cruelty to be rather disturbed. The killing of so many animals because people are in this age still stupid enough to think they have some medicinal or aphrodisiac quality is bad enough.

The killing of, or cruelty to, animals for the food industry is even worse. Things like Shark Fin soup where they catch the shark cut off the fin and then throw it back to die in agony, when the fin is tasteless is just mindblowingly beyond the pale. Foie gras is banned because of its blatant and utter cruelty, anyone who says otherwise should be forced to watch it or be forced to try it on themselves.

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 12:37:50 pm »
This is so sad. I'm not sure what more can be done other than catching the poachers, and getting tougher on illegal trade.
Not sure about the 70%, but there is more awareness in China, especially among young people. But you will always get people who simply don't care, sadly.

I struggle with this morally though as I do eat meat. Even though I can feel better by not eating shark fin or fois gras, I know the cows or chickens I eat probably lived their entire lives in extremely horrible conditions just to be slaughtered.

Offline Welshieliverboyo

• Boys Pen
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 04:37:37 pm »
Disgusted and appalled by this.  Those poachers need to be caught and strung up by their busker browns.  :no

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 04:57:56 pm »
I struggle with this morally though as I do eat meat. Even though I can feel better by not eating shark fin or fois gras, I know the cows or chickens I eat probably lived their entire lives in extremely horrible conditions just to be slaughtered.

Animal husbandry in the UK is the best regulated in the world.  There is greater and growing awareness among the farming community that happy and healthy stock produces better and higher quality meat, which can command higher prices.  There's also the growth of organic farming.  The massive increase in farmer's markets and a growing sensitivity of how meat is sourced is very encouraging.  Slaughterhouses are very tightly regulated.  That is not to say that there is not room for further improvement, but there have been massive steps forward in all aspects of the care of farm animals in the UK within the last ten years.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 05:16:57 pm »
Did anyone get the legs? They make boss umbrella stands. It'd be a shame to waste them.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2013, 05:25:25 pm »
Did anyone get the legs? They make boss umbrella stands. It'd be a shame to waste them.

Sod off sweetie.   :-*

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 06:12:09 pm »
Sod off sweetie.   :-*

;D  Couldn't resist sorry honeybunch   :-*
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Kwaideng

• Hamshank Redemption
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 06:15:06 pm »
Maybe....  Vic Akers  that aul  Arsenal kit man who does the substitutions.......painted  white though
The clique is just a click away.
And they are being watched too, but don't know it.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 06:46:10 pm »

The French aren't a race.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline StokieSteve

• Legacy Fan
  • Up The Potters
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 08:14:14 pm »
Some people have no morals or conscience where money is involved. Scum.

Offline marko35s

• Kopite
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 09:04:29 pm »
Some people have no morals or conscience where money is involved. Scum.
When there is enough profit in a single rhino horn to enable a dealer to hire a whole team of highly skilled well armed poachers (paying them well) and then supply a helicopter for the operation as well as paying to smuggle the horn then morals go out the window.
Happened in the western cape - team, helicopter, the works. For a single horn, taken from the one remaining rhino on that reserve.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:32:34 pm by marko35s »

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 08:31:03 am »
The French aren't a race.

Race is not used exclusively in relation to ethnicity. It can also be used to classify a group by geographical or cultural traits.

The killing of, or cruelty to, animals for the food industry is even worse. Things like Shark Fin soup where they catch the shark cut off the fin and then throw it back to die in agony, when the fin is tasteless is just mindblowingly beyond the pale. Foie gras is banned because of its blatant and utter cruelty, anyone who says otherwise should be forced to watch it or be forced to try it on themselves.

It really isn't anywhere near 'blatant and utter'. The arguments on either side are not conclusive either way. I don't think anyone is arguing that intentionally harming the animals adds to the taste of the food and the practice should be continued.

Its more the standards at which these particular foods are produced that's the issue. Banning the production will hardly in any way solve the problem.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:33:21 am by Valore »

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 02:54:05 pm »

I am opposed to the disgusting practices which are involved in producing shark fin soup and foie gras. As you say, there is a big gap between that and the humane farming of cows, pigs, chickens etc as food sources.
DAMMIT!

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 09:49:46 pm »

So you don't care about the fact that the sharks have their fins cut off while they are still alive and then thrown back into the water to drown?
I just can't understand how you can support something like that.

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 11:42:04 pm »
It really isn't anywhere near 'blatant and utter'. The arguments on either side are not conclusive either way.

Force feeding an animal over and over, past any necessary level, is not blatant and utter cruelty? Doing it until their liver bursts (after swelling it to up to ten time the normal size) isn't cruelty? The destruction of the oesophageal tract due to the tubes being rammed down their throats isn't cruelty? The fact they vomit repeatedly afterwards and can't keep their heads upright isn't cruelty? What evidence do you have to try to justify this in any possible fashion?

It has been banned for a reason. I'm appalled you are even trying to justify it.