Author Topic: Liverpool FC to march at Liverpool Pride 2012  (Read 11953 times)

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool FC to march at Liverpool Pride 2012
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 03:24:07 pm »
Homophobic chants should treated the same way as racist chants. Of course it's not completely gone, but it's not something people can just say without potential consequences either.

Offline uwinsa

• prize!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 03:27:11 pm »

Would just like to point out that when we played Brighton there were large sections of the kop singing does your boyfriend know your here, thats classed as homophobic chanting

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 03:35:07 pm »
Indeed there was, and I'll give you that there can often be a very thin line between whet one would call banter, and one would call offensive.

There is however a difference between a a chant that is gently mocking with a hint of humour, and something that is outright offensive, and chanted purely for the reason to cause offence and get a volotile reaction.

Agreed though, that it's all in the context of the person who takes the offence

I could call Mr.A.  and Mr.B. a bastard.

Mr.A. Might just laugh it off.
Mr.B. though might take great offence to being called such a name.

Maybe we're just living in a age of outrage, though. Where everyone wants to feel offended.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:38:29 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline uwinsa

• prize!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 03:36:28 pm »
Indeed there was, and I'll give you that there can often be a very thin line between whet one would call banter, and one would call offensive.

There is however a difference between a a chant that is gently mocking with a hint of humour, and something that is outright offensive, and chanted purely for the reason to cause offence and get a volotile reaction.

Agreed though, that it's all in the context of the person who takes the offence

Yes I agree and it's by far and away the mildest of the stuff thats reguarly sung at Brighton fans however the fans the start the chant at Brightons stadium are often taken out by police

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2012, 03:37:07 pm »
Never going to happen, zero tolerance policy or not.

The authorities still can't stop individuals throwing objects, using racially abusive chants, or inflamatory chants and songs such as Hillsborough, Heysel, or even the likes of Millwall fans having a pop ot Spurs fans and using chants about the Holocaust etc.

If they can't fully police that kind of shit now, what makes you think they'll do any better policing homophobia.

I don't think you can stamp it out, but it can certainly be reduced. Look at racist chanting, to use your example. That used to be extremely common up and down the country. Now it isn't. I don't think for a moment that the general public is now as homophobic as it was racist in the 1970s.

On a wider note, why should there be banning orders and points deductions for homophobia when there isn't for the other gobsh*te behaviour?

Large sections of a crowd chanting racist abuse certainly draws penalties to the club involved. The other things you mention are more specifically targetted at certain clubs and therefore harder to identify or make rules about. How would you police "anyone singing about Munich", for example? Not saying it couldn't or shouldn't be done, but for something like racism or homophobia, it's fairly straightforward.

The footballing authorities have it within them to deal with all such things, but there doesn't seem to be the political will within the sport to do so.  They will pay it lip-service and make an example of, every now and then, when there's a high profile incident or two, but once it dies down, it's very mutch put on the back burner.

It's a shame, but that doesn't mean we should just sit back and say "c'est la vie" - it always comes down to the fans in the crowd in the end. If we draw Brighton in the cup and some nobheads start up with that shit again, have a word.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2012, 03:48:24 pm »
To my knowledge, I don't have any gay friends. I certainly don't have any openly gay friends.
I do though have an openly gay relative, who on occasion I'v even been on the piss in town with around the odd gay bar or two.

To make a point.

In conversation, It's one thing to say " Go'ed ya raging queer", in a mocking leg pulling sort of way.(and taken with humour)

And completely another to say  "Go'ed ya raging queer", through gritted snarling teeth.

It's all about the context.  And the context of how the person on the receiveing end takes it.

In the context of footballing crowds, I think a bit of banter is all part of the game, yet as I said, one mans banter can often be another mans offence, and there can often be a thin line between the two.

A chant given in humour can sometimes be taken as offence, if the recipients want to make it so.

Some chants though, are just openly offensive, and meant to be so from their conception.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:59:52 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2012, 03:53:50 pm »
To my knowledge, I don't have any gay friends. I certainly don't have any openly gay friends.
I do though have an openly gay relative, who on occasion I'v even been on the piss in town with around the odd gay bar or two.

To make a point.

In conversation, It's one thing to say " Go'ed ya raging queer", in a mocking leg pulling sort of way.(and taken with humour)

And completely another to say  "Go'ed ya raging queer", through gritted snarling teeth.

Couldn't agree more. I do have openly gay friends, and some would take that, some wouldn't.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline McMagicman

• Main Stander
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2012, 07:33:26 pm »
This is good news.
While i dont have any openly gay friends I have in the past been openly gay4Torres and found plenty of support from lfc fans during this period.
LFC should continually support diversity by engaging all peoples, be it White, black, straight, gay or gay4torres.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:35:03 pm by McMagicman »

Offline Dirkydirkdirk

• Kopite
  • Sweet Jesus no
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2012, 08:44:11 pm »
I do think that someone will come out soon but I expect that it will be in the same way that Gareth Thomas, the Welsh rugby player, did. He came out at the very end of his career and was a hugely respected international with a record number of Wales caps.

It will take an enormous amount of guts to do it and that's why I expect it to be an experienced player who knows that he won't have many seasons left to take shit from crowds if it is received badly.
There are no stars in this team, or no one with any airs or graces. We're one unit, we work hard for each other and we all pull in the same direction.

Offline garcia-alonso

• Kopite
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2012, 08:50:05 pm »
It was interesting in the documentary that John Fashanu's daughter made about the issue that the clubs seem to be largely behind keeping players in the closet, rather than the players themselves keeping it quiet.
I know Glen Hysen's son came out in Sweden. Be interesting to know how that's been received when he plays.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2012, 12:39:40 am »
I think things have changed a lot for the better since Justin Fashanu's day. He came out in 1990, when even Freddie Mercury wasn't publicly admitting to being gay. A high-profile gay footballer will come out in the next two years, I'd put money on it. (Not that I'm claiming to know anything!)
I wouldn't say it's changed that much to be honest. Other forms of discrimination for sure have lessened but just look at the shite Brighton get at matches for supporting (as a city) a movement such as this. It's disgusting.

As a society we've changed for sure but we all know football matches are great at condensing knobs into one area.

This is good to see though and it should hopefully mean more clubs follow suit (though I'm not holding my breath).

Edit: See BRR and a few others have already put better points than I ever could put across.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:45:34 am by Chalky Boots »

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2012, 12:42:09 am »
I wouldn't say it's changed that much to be honest. Other forms of discrimination for sure have lessened but just look at the shite Brighton get at matches for supporting (as a city) a movement such as this. It's disgusting.

I wasn't talking about football. (I thought the mention of Freddie Mercury would have made that clear!  ;) )
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline yslee

• Main Stander
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2012, 06:51:54 pm »
Brilliant. Stuff like this shows what the club and the supporters stand for.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2012, 07:52:18 pm »
I think there are a couple of main issues with having the first team squad present...

Good post that Rhi. There seems to be some consensus within marketing circles that the issue isn't necessarily even within football per se, but that the sponsorship pressures may dictate that people don't come out publicly while they play. In some markets, homosexuality remains a taboo (whether that's explicit or otherwise) and association may damage commercial prospects. Sad really. Good that we as a club are engaged with this, and hope that one day we will see senior male professionals adding their voices to it too.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline merseymack

• Kopite
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2012, 08:05:22 pm »
we have a huge support of different sexuality groupings, so this is fantastic news. Personaly I'm ' Pie sexual ' which is something entirely different but I know I'm not alone.

Offline McMagicman

• Main Stander
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2012, 02:22:38 pm »
Players like Shaun wright phillips who are closeted gay footballers should be marching at events like this.
We should not tolerates society where gay footballers need to stay closeted.

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2012, 03:01:50 pm »
I am completely over it. I have mates who are gay and they hate gay pride too. They don't feel the need for any of this gay pride crap because they are comfortable in their own skin anyway. It just show's them in the wrong light, prancing round wearing heels.
I'm straight and I don't need a march to celebrate the fact. Don't know why the club has got involved anyway, we're just trying to be politically correct. Political correctness does my head in.
You need to get over yourself. The club participate in this to show support for the gay community. It has nothing to do with you. And it's really bigoted to whine about how a minority group of people choose to fight for their equal rights.

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2012, 03:05:42 pm »
Players like Shaun wright phillips who are closeted gay footballers should be marching at events like this.
We should not tolerates society where gay footballers need to stay closeted.

Don't think he is mate, I have a female friend who got chatted up by him once.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2012, 03:23:44 pm »
[insert bigoted and inflammatory remark here]
The qualifying criteria for successful parenting should not be restricted in terms of the sexual orientation and/or gender of said prospective parents. I suggest you put that to your gay friends. You're also walking a very, very thin line here.

*EDIT* - you're done here.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 03:28:47 pm by 24/7 »

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Re: Re: Liverpool FC to march at Liverpool Pride 2012
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2012, 03:54:19 pm »
Quote from: Brancefly link=topic=295371.msg1#msg1
Why is it only the womens team though?
cause pepe would take over the show, hog the Mic and lead the march with a few renditions of his own...

this is a great pr move by the club, to extend the hand of friendship and help establish lfc as an inclusive club who respect people from all walks of life whether they be gay, a different colour, etc...

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2012, 04:11:01 pm »
Funny thing is, probably the two most famous gay Englishmen, Stephen Fry and Elton John, have a very deep involvement with the game.
Is Stephen Fry gay ?
And what is his involvement with football ?

Good to see the club participating in this, by the way.

Offline Il Nina

• Legacy Fan
  • I just can't get enough...
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2012, 04:42:21 pm »
It's nice and respectful that we are the first team to do this. Well done.
“Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.”

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2012, 05:26:15 pm »
Yeah, he is. And he's a director at Norwich.

Been a lot of positive press coverage on this. The Guardian and BBC both picked it up, and it's been in pretty much all the gay publications. Pretty much everyone been very supportive so far. Great for the club, great for the event.
Ah, thanks !

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2012, 10:21:11 pm »
Don't see what business the club has getting involved in matters of identity politics and/or sexual ethics, but hey ho, good for community relations and I guess the brief now in the post-Suarezgate era is to do everything to show how right-on we are.

Offline chris.volante

• Anny Roader
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2012, 10:28:57 pm »
Yes I agree and it's by far and away the mildest of the stuff thats reguarly sung at Brighton fans however the fans the start the chant at Brightons stadium are often taken out by police
I thought "You live in Brighton, you know what you are" was pretty nasty. I felt embarassed to be surrounded by adults laughing and getting a kick out of singing it with such glee.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 10:37:11 pm by chris.volante »

Offline libby_lfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • It's impossible to be unhappy in a poncho.
    • Twitter
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2012, 12:16:38 am »
Proud of the club for this. Well in.
People listen to Coldplay and voted for the Nazis, you can't trust people.

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2012, 01:00:56 am »
The march musters at Brown Street

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2012, 01:28:17 am »
LGBT stand for Lesbian, Gay, Bi and Transexual I take it?

good luck, nice for the club to support equality.

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender

Offline Anfieldite

• Main Stander
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2012, 03:29:53 pm »
Should have a banner in the Kop in support too

Offline armchair-fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2012, 04:09:41 pm »

I believe in legal circles, this is known as the 'Terry defence'

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2012, 04:12:51 pm »
 ::) Yeah whatever.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2012, 04:44:08 pm »
Don't see what business the club has getting involved in matters of identity politics and/or sexual ethics, but hey ho, good for community relations and I guess the brief now in the post-Suarezgate era is to do everything to show how right-on we are.
well, in this day and age, you have seen us get accused of racism. So, best to make inroads into the various communities, so we don't have mud thrown at us again by the press.
It's also good to reach out to various communities, too... Rich, poor, black, white, gay, straight, ooto, locals, etc.

Offline libby_lfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • It's impossible to be unhappy in a poncho.
    • Twitter
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2012, 12:00:45 am »
I believe in legal circles, this is known as the 'Terry defence'

Hahahahahahaha.
People listen to Coldplay and voted for the Nazis, you can't trust people.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2012, 01:37:12 pm »
Everton FC follow suit...

The city of Liverpool setting trends and breaking down barriers, as always. :)
Great news that Rhi.....I just wish they weren't so good in the WSL :P ;)

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2012, 03:13:57 pm »
Everton FC follow suit...

http://community.evertonfc.com/news/everton-supports-liverpool-pride/

Good for them. Surprised they haven't asked for it to be renamed "our city" pride, though. They hate the "L" word.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2012, 01:03:29 pm »
I think there are a couple of main issues with having the first team squad present...

Plus we're probably playing in Belarus on Thursday night, travelling back most of Friday, the lads will need a day off.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2012, 06:26:12 pm »
Don't know if you spotted this one.  :wave

Nowhere else to really put it other than maybe in this thread.

LIVERPOOL FC hosted its first ever civil partnership  for a couple who travelled all the way from America for the privilege.

Sarah McKnight, 29, and Christina Walls, 36, who live in Colorado, were joined by friends and family for their special day last Friday.

Hotel manager Sarah, who is originally from Bolton and moved to America eight years ago, said the pair were both huge fans of the club.

She said: “I’ve been a Liverpool fan for about 13 years and Christina is a 100% convert.

“Our first date was at a pub in Denver at 5am watching a Liverpool game.”

The couple, who are members of the Colorado Reds, a Liverpool supporters’ club, got engaged in July 2011.

Sarah said: “There was never any question of where it would be.

“I remember the conversation. Christina said we had better start planning the wedding and I said ‘shall I give Anfield a ring then?’”

She added: “Liverpool and football in general is the basis of our social life so it meant everything to us to be able to get married at Anfield.”

Their guest list included the president of the Colorado Reds alongside several Manchester United fans and Sarah’s Blackburn Rovers supporting dad.

Sarah said she and Christina, a pastry chef, were both surprised to learn they would be the first to have a civil partnership at the stadium.

She said: “We didn’t realise at first but when we came over in February and looked round the stadium they told us.

“I couldn’t believe it. It’s nice to be part of the stadium’s history though. Hopefully they’ll put our picture next to the European Cup,”

The couple were back at Anfield on Sunday to watch the match and Sarah said even the refereeing decisions didn’t ruin their honeymoon.

Alison Boyle, senior events co-ordinator at Anfield, said: “We have been doing weddings for 14 years now so this is great for the club to be able to host its first civil partnership ceremony, I have never known a couple to be so excited.”

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2012/09/25/couple-exchange-vows-in-first-civil-partnership-to-be-held-at-anfield-100252-31906184/#ixzz27b7C09eA