Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 368916 times)

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
Re: High Definition TVs
« Reply #120 on: April 5, 2006, 05:15:44 pm »
Twas why I stuck with SD for now

hoonin

« Reply #121 on: April 5, 2006, 05:20:02 pm »
I've been tempted myself Gareth, just about holding off for now, once Sky gets a bit cheaper for HD content no doubt I'll be taking the plunge as well !

Whats the deal with that? Quickly read that it was £299 for a HD installation and something like £10 per months added onto the cost of subscription.

Is it possible to just buy my own HD box, or does it have a different dish and LNB and require a proper install?

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: April 5, 2006, 05:34:02 pm »
Whats the deal with that? Quickly read that it was £299 for a HD installation and something like £10 per months added onto the cost of subscription.

Is it possible to just buy my own HD box, or does it have a different dish and LNB and require a proper install?

The HD channels will be from the same satellites as the SD broadcasts and will be received via the same dish/lnb cabling. SKY+ HD will require two feeds just as the normal SKY+ does

hoonin

« Reply #123 on: April 5, 2006, 05:50:20 pm »
Two feeds ??? Was that mean then?

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: April 5, 2006, 06:14:40 pm »
SKY+ dishes are quad LNB.  2 of them are used per SKY+ box as two inputs, one for viewing, one for recording.  SKY HD will be no different.

hoonin

« Reply #125 on: April 7, 2006, 06:16:27 pm »
Well, after a couple of days usage I'm finding the odd little glitch with the Samsung I bought:

1. A constant buzzing from the back of the tv,  though its only noticeable when the volume is low or muted
2. Some minor distortions of the image once in a while
3. Theres an automatic light sensor which adjusts the brightness according the the light in the room. This patently doesnt work. If you turn it on, the brightest drops right down to the lowest point, even in a room where no lights are on.

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: April 7, 2006, 08:31:25 pm »
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Samsung_PS42S5H__Review_5562714

this is the one I got

Is it the same as your Gareth?
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆

hoonin

« Reply #127 on: April 7, 2006, 08:38:41 pm »
No, yours is a few models up from mine. Got the 32" one, which is ideal for the size of me.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #128 on: April 7, 2006, 11:22:50 pm »
Think this is the one I'll be getting at the moment here.Just need to wait another  month  or so to see how the people who have them now get on with them.Upto now though they are a cracking set and about £500 cheaper than the Pioneer 43XDE which was my initial favourite.

I've done well from getting the wife to having no interest in it,to actually deciding which she prefers in the room.She prefers the Panny with stand to the Pio without,which will need a stand for it.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

hoonin

« Reply #129 on: April 7, 2006, 11:51:25 pm »
Looks a bit of a cracker that one. From reading various opinions it seems Panasonic and Sharp are the leaders in LCD and Plasma screens at the moment.

Doy you really need such a large model though?

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: April 8, 2006, 10:45:56 am »
Looks a bit of a cracker that one. From reading various opinions it seems Panasonic and Sharp are the leaders in LCD and Plasma screens at the moment.

Doy you really need such a large model though?

I'd only regret it if I got the 37" for a couple of hundred quid less.From what I've read,there are a lot of people who bought the 42" and wish now that they had bought the 50" although I couldn't afford a 50" myself so that will never be a problem to me.

I'll be about 10 feet away from the screen so it's the recommended size from what I've seen.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline GOD-9

• Biff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robert Bernard Fowler
« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2006, 07:09:57 pm »
Right guys looking for some advice from all you techno wizards on this set-up which im thinking about for my new house. Could somebody offer me some feedback on this setup because i really dont know much about this stuff. Thanks in advance !

Philips 37PF5320 LCD
Yamaha Nsp110 AV Speaker system
Teac AG15D Home cinema receiver
AV Glass stand

All in for £1710

Is this a good price and is it a good setup ?

Thanks again.
Youll Never Walk Alone

Offline rob76

• Kopite
  • foxx il- united!!
« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2006, 07:51:43 pm »
I heard Samsung are releasing CRTs that will support High defintion to see if theres a market out there.

End of april they will be available in germany i think

I'm waiting for one of those myself. I'm still not convinced with plasma/tft tech. Still does not beat the good old crt imo.

hoonin

« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2006, 07:54:11 pm »
I'm still not convinced with plasma/tft tech.

They're faster than a mac though...

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2006, 05:36:51 am »
Right guys looking for some advice from all you techno wizards on this set-up which im thinking about for my new house. Could somebody offer me some feedback on this setup because i really dont know much about this stuff. Thanks in advance !

Philips 37PF5320 LCD
Yamaha Nsp110 AV Speaker system
Teac AG15D Home cinema receiver
AV Glass stand

All in for £1710

Is this a good price and is it a good setup ?

Thanks again.

Can't find any info or review on that model Philips as of yet so I would deffo not rush into buying it.Also,depending on what you're priorities are,if you deffo need a 37" screen then you will find the picture quality on a plasma for watching DVD's and freeview are better than LCD comparatively.

Do you need to buy a complete set up at the moment because if it was my money I'd buy the best screen I could and then save up for the rest of the gear presuming you already have a DVD player,but saying that,you can get good DVD players from as little as £60 and use the TV's speakers for now then upgrade the system later with a home cinema or amp + speakers.

Offline rob76

• Kopite
  • foxx il- united!!
« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2006, 07:00:35 am »
They're faster than a mac though...
lol...you really enjoyed that thread! ;D

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2006, 08:16:52 am »
So what is the conclusion on the LCD vs plasma TV debate? Not really interested in the HDTV issue as it is a way away here but am planning to go the flat TV route and would appreciate comments on what people have found to be better and why.

Thanks.

Offline rob76

• Kopite
  • foxx il- united!!
« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2006, 08:22:46 am »
You ain't gonna find a conclusion to the LCD v Plasma issue. It all depends on the size you want to buy and how much you want to spend. Whatever you do though, don't rush into buying. Read loads of reviews, take a 1st hand look at tv stores, ignore what salesmen tell you, and then decide.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2006, 08:45:17 am »
So what is the conclusion on the LCD vs plasma TV debate? Not really interested in the HDTV issue as it is a way away here but am planning to go the flat TV route and would appreciate comments on what people have found to be better and why.

Thanks.

The general rule is at the moment,for anything above 32" then plasma is the flat panel to choose,below that size then it's LCD.BUT,you can buy good and bad of both types.At the moment,in the plasma range upto say £2500 the Pioneers and the Panasonics HDTV's are the best buys closely followed by Hitachi.

If you are not interested in HD then the Panasonic PE30 and PE50 takes some beating for the price of around £1200 with built in cabinet but less than £1000 without the cabinet.

I've said it a million times on here now,the only place to read up and educate yourself in this debate is to visit http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php

hoonin

« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2006, 08:46:26 am »
lol...you really enjoyed that thread! ;D

As a neutral, yes :D

Still waiting for someone to argue with about SPARC Solaris :P

Offline RedGeo

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2006, 08:55:33 am »
Agree with Kieithcun on all points.  The place to go IS av forums, I wish I'd known of it before I bought.  Not that I'm unhappy with my panel, but because I knew nothing of 'running in' .  This site is very informative and gives an abundance of information on most plasma/lcd screens.  Until retailers become more clued up on these products or in my case more forthcoming with advice and technical info that the average Joe just doesn't know, you must do your own research to ensure you get the most from your investment.

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2006, 09:13:31 am »
The general rule is at the moment,for anything above 32" then plasma is the flat panel to choose,below that size then it's LCD.BUT,you can buy good and bad of both types.At the moment,in the plasma range upto say £2500 the Pioneers and the Panasonics HDTV's are the best buys closely followed by Hitachi.

If you are not interested in HD then the Panasonic PE30 and PE50 takes some beating for the price of around £1200 with built in cabinet but less than £1000 without the cabinet.

I've said it a million times on here now,the only place to read up and educate yourself in this debate is to visit http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php
Cheers - 32 inches will do me fine and the impression I get is that LCDs have a clearer picture.  Also, plasmas seem to reflect while LCDs don't, am I right in thinking?

In India, the choices are not as wide as you will have but the major LCD manufacturers here are Sony, Samsung, LG, Philips and Hitachi.

hoonin

« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2006, 09:17:50 am »
I'd think twice about a Samsug LCD. Seriously considering taking my one back and reverting my old CRT. Too many little problems with the LCD.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2006, 09:45:52 am »
Cheers - 32 inches will do me fine and the impression I get is that LCDs have a clearer picture.  Also, plasmas seem to reflect while LCDs don't, am I right in thinking?

In India, the choices are not as wide as you will have but the major LCD manufacturers here are Sony, Samsung, LG, Philips and Hitachi.

To be honest,I have never seen an LCD in any showroom where I've been impressed with the picture.There always seems to be artifacts,blemishes or something or other that gives a somewhat unatural look to the picture.This has probably a lot to do with how they are set up in the showrooms and quality of feed,although I have in certain cases seen very good pictures from plasma.

As for reflections on plasma,it all depends on the glass they use,some are worse than others but I must admit,my LCD monitor suffers very little from reflections.

I've not read up much on the LCD's of late but when I was keeping my eye on them,the Phillips with the Pixel Plus 2 seemed to get very good reviews,the ones with the Ambilight on the rear.I think the model number is PF9830,but they are quite ugly looking and aren't at the cheap end of the scale.at around £1600.

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2006, 09:47:53 am »
Cheers Keith.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2006, 05:59:47 pm »
Not worth getting HDTV yet in UK.

Gonna be a few years yet before HDTV broadcasts are up and running...

AND until movies are available in HD (next generation movie media to replace DVD.)

I CAN'T WAIT to watch a Liverpool game in high definition. It'll be incredible.

I watched the Superbowl this year on my friend's 50inch LCD HDTV and it was so beautiful despite the subject matter boring me to tears.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2006, 05:27:54 am »
AND until movies are available in HD (next generation movie media to replace DVD.)

I CAN'T WAIT to watch a Liverpool game in high definition. It'll be incredible.

I watched the Superbowl this year on my friend's 50inch LCD HDTV and it was so beautiful despite the subject matter boring me to tears.

Shouldn't be too long off and I'm sure it will be a feature on Sky when HD is up and running mext month as the final in Instanbul was filmed in HD.There must be a special program with the game shown in all it's glory.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2006, 10:49:36 am »
I was in Comet yesterday having a nosey at the HD ready Plasmas and our Champions League Final win was on. Looked superb (it always does like). the heading was "the beautiful game, made beautiful" or something like that.

Anyway, to my point.

I've just moved into my new flat and "need" to treat myself to a fucking big plasma bastard.

Now, I saw one in Comet that took my fancy but cant remember the name of it. Think it was a pioneer or a panasonic. Looked cool as, but I realise I can probably get cheaper than from Comet/Currys etc.

The bottom line is I have about £1800 quid to spend on one and am looking at a 42inch fucker. Unfortunately I've only got tinternet access at work at the moment and it wont let me access the AV forums suggested on here. So....Keithcun, you seem pretty clued up on this stuff, do you have any recommendations for my price range? I'll worry about the audio side of life in a month or so. Its just the TV I'm after now. Up to £1800 quid and min 42 inch. What does anyone recommend?

Cheers for any help.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 10:53:22 am by blert596 »
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2006, 02:41:24 pm »
To start off with,the Pioneers are out of your price range but they are a very good plasma.If you shop around you maybe able to get one for around £2100.

Which leads to Panasonic.Panasonic have just brought out a model called the PX60 in 42" and 37" varieties.As of yet,the magazines and the like haven't reviewed it yet although it's probably been available for around 5 weeks now.The previous Panasonic model was a belter and only bettered by the Pioneer in this price range,so there's no doubt really that this is a very good set.

It comes in 3 varieties.

Just the TV,ideal for wall mounting or mounting on a stand with the facility to bolt it on to a post at the rear. (TH42PX60WALL)

The TV on a pedestal stand which you can then sit it atop of a table,unit etc. (TH42PX60PED)

And with a built in cabinet that matches the lines. (TH42PX60CAB)

This is the model,unless I see some serious issues with it,that I will be buying in the next couple of months.There has been some people who have bought this who have noticed a green edging effect when playing certain games on the Xbox but only occasionally,but as I have no intention of using a console,then it's not a concern for me.If you want to read about peoples personal experience with this set,then here's a thread dedicated to the TV.Beware as it's over 50 pages long,but you do need to put the research in.  ;D

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312486

Panasonic will also be bringing out another plasma,based on the PX60 range with a few more bells and whistles on it,but the screen and therefore the picture quality will be the same although the design is slightly different.That model is PX600 if I remember correctly.

As for price,at the moment,H Preston seem to have the best prices online here

But,and it's a big but,John Lewis offer a free 5 year guarantee that's worth at least £500+ on a plasma and their customer service,from reports,is nothing but excellenct.Now John lewis prices are a tad higher than H Preston,but John Lewis have a "Pricematch" scheme where they say they will not be undersold by any bricks and mortar shop nationally as long as that shop has stock and a shelf price on said item.

http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+TV/Televisions/+Televisions+/Plasma/Brand/Panasonic/List.aspx

And here is their "Never undersold policy"

http://www.johnlewis.com/Help/Help.aspx?HelpId=18#payment

There is also a dedicated thread on AVforums for that as well,as to peoples experience in getting John Lewis to price match,most successful,but others not depending on branch and who they are trying to pricematch with.The thread is here.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264343

There is also Hitachi,which is probably the third option and again,you will find enough information in this forum for that or any other plasmas to be honest.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82&order=desc

As I've advised everyone who has aked though,you cannot do enough reading on the subject and the above forum is a mindfield of information and people wishing to help.If been looking at it for well over 12 months now trying to get as much info as I can as it will be an expensive mistake if I buy a crap plasma.

Also,you have to be aware,and it's covered on the above forum,that you must lower the settings (brightness,contrast,colour etc) of  all plasma TV/screens when you buy one as they are set purposefully high to give the wow factor in the showrooms and this will deter such things as screen burn and image retention.They tend to leave the settings low for a running in period of approx 250 hours or so,and then you can ease the settings up.

This is the difficult part though in choosing a plasma,is,your eyes are the best judge of what you like in a picture and the only way to get a true reflection of what a screen is like is to demo one.I would suggest not doing it at the likes of Curry's etc unless they can guarantee they are using the best connections and very good sources.A dedicated AV showroom will be your best bet as they will set them up correctly and let you choose,bring your own DVD's and player etc to test out on any given screen.Saying that,Comet,Curry's may let you do that as well.

I had a quick gander in Curry's the other day to while some time and had a look at the PX60 and was more interested in how the actually TV looked on it's stand than the picture at that point,but I did notice they were running it off an unbranded DVD player through scart.Now why the fuck they do this when they stock HDMI compliant DVD players is anyones guess as Scart is probably the third best connection after HDMI/DVI and component.I struggle to fathom how at times these shops manage to sell anything.

Also,when you do finally purchase a plasma and it's all nice and run in,you then have the option of getting it ISF calibrated.This will fine tume the picture to display the image as exactly as it was intended by the director of the film,or as close as any given set is capable.This is done by experts and they calibrate it to your specific equipment ie DVD player,Sky etc.This costs around the £250 mark and again,from the people who I've read who have had it done it is well worth it and it enhances there screen more and brings the picture to life.Anyway,you don't need to worry about that yet,you need to spend your time reading and reading and reading before you make your purchase.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 03:21:31 pm by keithcun »

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2006, 04:35:18 pm »
Thanks for that mate. I'll deffo make an effort to access the forum somehow over the weekend. Like I said, its blocked at work and I now have no access as am in the middle of moving.

Only problem is I dont really have any patience  :-\
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2006, 11:48:07 am »
In fact Mr keithcun, I'm gonna buy that Panasonic fucker this weekend sometime.

If its shite like...expect a visit.

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2006, 01:15:54 pm »
Panasonic seem to be decent models of CRTs anyway. I've had my TV for about 8 years and its been great.. well...up until recently when the tube started to go.
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2006, 01:22:44 pm »
Here's my PWD8

Keithcun's advice is bang on.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 01:26:11 pm by timiano »

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Fuck With Guillem Balague!
« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2006, 02:52:21 pm »
fucking lovely, could just imagine sitting in those big comfy chairs with a cold beer and a curry watching liverpool...beautiful!
'Jimmy, I get home, I shut the curtains and I sleep'.

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home

hoonin

« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2006, 03:42:54 pm »
I'm taking my Samsung back to the shop today.

The average picture quality, artifacts, the annoying and incesssant buzzing sound and an automatic brightness feature that doesnt work was enough to convince me that looking for a cheaper alternative to something like a Sharp or Panasonic is not the answer.

Back to me CRT for at least another year :wave

Offline johnno918

• Kopite
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2006, 04:59:30 pm »
ive decided to upgrade my telly, not too sure what to get. thinking about getting a rear projection, does anybody have one?

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2006, 06:28:42 pm »
ive decided to upgrade my telly, not too sure what to get. thinking about getting a rear projection, does anybody have one?

do not get one,u will be sorry!

www.avforums.com is the only place to look,for reviews and stuff,absolute brill site!
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2006, 06:41:49 pm »
Here's my PWD8

Keithcun's advice is bang on.

Looks well smart that Timiano.

This is doing my head in all these choices.

I've just been to Costco and they are doing the Pioneer 436 XDE + speakers for £2500 with 3 years warranty and I love the look of the actual set with it's piano black surround and with the seperate media box it helps for wall mounting..

Then there is the PX60 as in my post above,which is only around £1700 for wall mounting.

But both the above are TV's and I don't really need a TV,as I have Sky and a Home cinema kit soon to be upgraded to amp,DVD and speakers.

So on that basis,I should be really looking towards a panel and those Panasonics are doozers ,I think were currently on G8 glass at the moment,ie PHD8 + PWD8,but I've heard that Panny maybe releasing a newer model later this year.

I just can't make my fucking mind up.

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2006, 12:01:44 am »
'I just can't make my fucking mind up.'  Not that I have a propensity to expletives, but you hit the nail on the head there keithcun!  :o  ;)

I knew that my next buy for audio visual entertainment would/could be substantial, but from this thread I have learnt a lot more from many people and some well informed/practiced individual experts.

From the original post, a natural evolution of debate has occurred that has had myself, and I am sure, many others transfixed, in searching for help and information that far outstrips my aquainted knowledge with the subject. I don't need to name specific contributors, many contributors, includiing myself, have a good basic knowledge of what we want, but without the questions being asked, the well thought out replies of the vast majority has brought out the expertise of qualified personnel and quite proficient amateurs/hobbyists. I'd be happy to qualify for the latter!

Yes, HDTV is 'some' time away, but as we all know, the development of technology is competitive and therefore rapid. Even the original New York Times article that I posted is out of date now in one or two aspects. I receive the NYT just after lunch every day, as well as some others (movie industry, newspapers, journals, etc.), but what matters is that HDTV is not far away, but more IMPORTANTLY, what is the best affordable and most reliable 'product' on the market. Buy now, and regret later? Or save for the most opportune time to buy? When is that?

Btw, timiano's pic has me pleading to Santa Claus eight months early!  :o  Lol!

Well, if you saw what I have to attempt to watch! :shocked

;)
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2006, 02:28:50 pm »
HD-DVD players and movies are out in america a bit earlier than expected according to this website

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Best_Buy/Universal/Warner/Toshiba/Hardware/Early_Adopters_Report_Retail_Leaks_of_First_HD-DVD_Players,_Discs/34

The guy looks well made up
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like