Author Topic: Rodgers & The Merseyside Derby  (Read 9451 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Rodgers & The Merseyside Derby
« on: October 29, 2012, 01:38:26 pm »
“He just gets us”. It’s become a clichéd, self-mocking phrase by some who suspect it is overused to some extent. As with most clichés, however, it undoubtedly has a large element of truth attached to it.

Roy Hodgson’s grin at Moyes after his side’s inept display in the October 2010 derby was the final straw for many. This, of course, coming in the same week the club had just been sold to our new American owners – offering a stark reminder if one were needed that much work were to be done not just to restore Liverpool’s reputation, but also their pride and identity. Contrast that to the feeling we shared witnessing Kenny Dalglish lead the side out against Everton at Anfield just three short months later. His first home game back at the helm.

The Merseyside Derby is the litmus test. I couldn't help but be reminded yesterday of the comparisons between this game - Rodgers' first - and the one in 2004 - Rafa Benitez's first game at the helm - where Lee Carsley bent a shot around Chris Kirkland at the Gwladys Street end with both sides in relatively similar circumstances going into the game as they were yesterday. Not least the two young hopefuls thrown in at the deep-end under necessity. In 2004, Sinama-Pongolle and Neil Mellor. Yesterday, Suso and Raheem Sterling. Liverpool a rebuilding project; Everton a side with lofty ambitions. There was much criticism of Benitez after that game. He was accused of "not taking the derby seriously enough" (largely because it came off the back of years of Houllier's derby domination). People said he "didn't get" English tradition. He was accused of the same after the humbling defeat at the hands of Burnley where he opted to field a somewhat scratch side at Turf Moor.

Amidst those criticisms though, I felt something that season. There was an overriding sense that we were onto something good. Istanbul aside, there were glimpses in our play of a forward-thinking, progressive football side. So while Rafa's comparison with Houllier was unfavourable when it came to the Merseyside Derby, it was one you look back on and argue we might have had to take on the chin.

Inbetween the dreaded "Hodgson Derby" and Rodgers first glimpse into what it's all about, as I alluded to, was of course Kenny. Now, you can criticize Dalglish for some of the mistakes he undeniably made last season. You can even argue that we’re still paying the price for a lot of them. But I don't think you should underestimate what he did for this club in what was truly an hour of need.

I remember attending a youth cup game on the 8th January 2011 (in the back of my mind dreading the fact we were facing Utd at Old Trafford in the cup the next day). Upon my arrival to the ground, I was informed by my friend, “Roy’s gone! And they’ve appointed Dalglish as caretaker manager!” It’s rare you get fed information like that in the days of mobile phones and twitter and whatnot. It reminds you of how innocent life once was. It’s underrated. After initially thinking he was on a wind-up, I was soon overcome with emotion. I was a child at Christmas. Instantly, Liverpool were back!

He was thrown in at the deep-end with the fixture schedule, but with the same group of players at his disposal as Roy did, we suddenly felt that we had a fighting chance. The shine faded throughout the course of last season, but the celebrations after Carroll's late Wembley winner - securing a hat-trick of wins over Everton - will live long in the memory.

The doom and gloom we felt amidst these Derby wins had quickly evaporated. We're making strides again. It's healthy that we have a manager again who isn't immune from criticism and who knows has everything to prove. Rodgers is learning on the job and I feel proud that the vast, vast majority of our support are behind him. He has the cojones to throw Suso on when we're down to ten men against one of the best sides in the league. He has the cojones to give a young lad his senior debut when a cup game is in the balance. We've signed a little Welsh magician; we've convinced our best performers from last year that we’re on an upward trajectory; and most important of all, we're slowly regaining a footballing identity, purging the squad of the hangers-on that have held us back over the past few years. Brendan Rodgers "gets us".

Hodgson, simply, irrefutably, didn't. He downplayed our ambitions. He alienated players who the fans had taken to their hearts. He clung on to the hope of maintaining the reputation he had forged while at Fulham. He dodged the bullets you have to take from  the media as a manager of a top club. The “Mr Nice Guy”; the media-friendly Grandfather figure. But, in attempting to preserve his status, he lost those that mattered most – us, the fans. And the October 2010 Merseyside Derby embodied all that was wrong with the club at that time. A side playing with an identity bestowed upon them by a manager with antiquated views. A side who had lost heart. A side embodied by their manager.

Rodgers, by comparison, went into yesterday with those great big cojones of his. Did he anticipate the frenetic pace and highly-charged nature of this game? You’d have to say from his half-time changes, no. In his defence, I don’t think any prepping could ready a manager for the level of sexually-frustrated fuelled bile and bitterness spewed from the mouths of Everton fans. But yesterday, I was proud again. Everton, to their credit, are a good side this year, but we went in fearless, attempting a progressive game. A game based on the principles laid out from his most successful predecessors. A side that embodied their manager.

Were Everton the better team? Maybe. But there were signs today, as there have been all season, that this project will come good. It was the 2004 feeling, rather than the dreaded 2010.

The talking point from today will be Suarez’s disallowed goal and Everton fans will laugh it off, but they knew that this game was their chance. There’s something brewing at Anfield and it might not happen overnight, but every Sterling miss and Wisdom foul is a lesson learned. We’re progressing every day, just as Rodgers is. The majority can sense it. Just as Rodgers did after his name bellowed out from The Kop after an inevitably controversial defeat at the hands of Manchester United. He knows this is not just an ordinary football club.

The "Goodison Derby" is a test no newcomer can properly revise for, but he was a professional linesman away from passing it with flying colours today. More importantly than the result though: he gets us.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 10:51:20 pm by Garstonite »

royhendo

Re: Rodgers & The Merseyside Derby
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 02:35:10 pm »
It was funny seeing the picture of him laughing when Suarez did his 'dive'. That underlines your point and then some I reckon. But I reckon you're right - he arrived at a place where he realised he needed dig to come out of it on top, and that's as important a lesson as he'll learn during his time here, isn't it?

Brilliant again mate, thank you. :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:22:27 pm by royhendo »

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 03:45:04 pm »
The two pics make an excellent contrast!

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 05:27:13 pm »
Loved the OP. I have the same feeling of optimism. Slowly but surely the pieces of the puzzle are coming together
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:34:56 am by The 5th Benitle »
Love Ren & Stimpy

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 05:40:36 pm »
I can't argue with that. When Hodgson lost the derby 2 years ago it was a case of 2 down 1 to go. When Rafa lost his 1st one you could see bigger & better things on the horizon. With Kenny he restored the pride to the club almost instantly. Rodgers demonstrated yesterday there is a plan B, if he deems you good enough then you are old enough and that we're coming up the hill.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 05:45:36 pm »
There is just something about him which is different from Roy. IF we still had Roy, we would not have had the team we are seeing now. But half the team that was fielded yesterday are willing to play for him to the extent that they have extended their contracts and some have explicitly stated that they are seeing progress and that we are going places despite our current position. In fact, in the midst of our worst start. This was what was said by a player "The results will come". I am not sure anyone said the same thing under Roy

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 05:45:44 pm »
Absolutely the right man for us. It's weird that I'm so confident as we're not exactly getting results. I can't really explain it, it just feels right.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 05:48:35 pm »
"He just get's us"

Those 4 words epitomise Rodgers for me.  Great OP and sums it all up.

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 05:55:28 pm »
Alright mate, thats a great post. Absolutely agree with the sentiment, he's a class act. I think he's changes showed that he's not a slave to the system that he believes in. Like you say about Suso and Wisdom, I feel like we are all constantly learning, feels like we're all moving in the same direction, on the road to bigger things.

People in the media we're talking about the Derby being a defining moment in Rodgers career, but I don't buy into that, I think he's here for a long time to come, it was just another step for him, and us, albeit an important one.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 06:09:13 pm »
Good read, can't view the second pic though.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 06:14:32 pm »
Good read, can't view the second pic though.

royhendo

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 08:09:47 pm »
That better?

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 08:12:57 pm »
Good OP Garstonite.

It's obvious Rodgers thought long and hard before taking this job. He studied every angle of our history and realized this is a massive club. He understood us from day 1. He understands what it means to be Liverpool manager, and everything associated with it. We need to get back to the pinnacle, where we belong.

“The reality is that this is a club where I need to align the playing group with the supporters. There is an imbalance at the minute. You've got some of the world's best supporters here and the playing group is not quite at that level yet."

He's got balls, there is no question. The derby would have been a great learning experience for him. He will now see first hand the intensity, and maybe pick players who will best handle that type of atmosphere.

There is definitely something brewing at Anfield with Rodgers at the helm. As if there is a smell in the air indicating a stepping stone to something much bigger and grander. There are pieces to his grand vision that are already in place, and some other pieces to fit in. If he gets the funds in January to bring in another striker, and then further cements that by other purchases in the summer that fit his mould, this team could be scary. The main thing is that he's given time, to form this team in to serious contenders. It won't happen overnight but if we keep adding quality like Joe Allen, and retain quality like we have been doing in Lucas and Suarez, we'll get there sooner rather than later.

I know the league table doesn't depict us as challengers right now, but we're moving in the right direction and more importantly everyone is moving in the same direction.
YWNA

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
Rodgers & The Merseyside Derby
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 08:13:57 pm »
That second picture is brilliant.

Nice OP too.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Ben_

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 08:17:59 pm »
Cracking read. It's so much easier to read stuff like this compared to back then.

It will take time, but I'm cautiously excited where we are going.

Onwards.
The match kicks off in 30 minutes ya silly twat

"This European Cup final is won, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 0."

"This scoreline is absolutely staggering, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 3!" - Five Live

Offline pewithree3

• Has a grumpy old female arse.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 08:23:54 pm »
Great photo and celebration but what worry`s me is seeing the
face on Dowd(4th.official) and he was not amused.
I still think that if someone else had scored the "winner" other
than Luis it would have been allowed.
This not a conspiracy theory just morally corrupt officials.

The highlight for me was B.R. on television after the game and
saying how pleased he is with Luis as a man, in training and playing.

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 08:38:55 pm »

The talking point from today will be Suarez’s disallowed goal and Everton fans will laugh it off, but they knew that this game was their chance. There’s something brewing at Anfield and it might not happen overnight, but every Sterling miss and Wisdom foul is a lesson learned. We’re progressing every day, just as Rodgers is. The majority can sense it. Just as Rodgers did after his name bellowed out from The Kop after an inevitably controversial defeat at the hands of Manchester United. He knows this is not just an ordinary football club.

This is exactly what I thought. Yesterdays experience for Suso, Sterling and Wisdom will be solid gold. Rodgers could have folded and put some supposed experienced heads in there, but he knew it was a golden opportunity to get them big game experience in the most hostile environment they'll encounter.

Another ballsy move was leaving Sterling on to finish the game. He was walking a tightrope near the end of the first half. Rodgers showed great trust in Sterling by leaving him on.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:45:21 pm by kasperoff »
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 08:42:14 pm »
Excellent read mate, made up for Rodgers, not to lose his first Derby is a psychological bonus.
It was funny seeing the picture of him laughing when Suarez did his 'dive'. That underlines your point and then some I reckon.
Yeah, I love that pic, I'd seen it somewhere else and showed my lad, it illustrates Rodgers stance & attitude towards his players.

Offline mabbympb

• Branded he was a man who ran!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 08:52:47 pm »
Fantastic. What a website this is with so many different users making such great posts likes this that beat anything a full time journey can put out (I know some are)

Offline givemekaliber

• Official Gimp to the Transfer Forum!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leather Bottle - Halewood
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 09:18:49 pm »
That really is a brilliant piece of writing. As you read your reports, views, feelings; i feel completely in agreement with you.
Rodgers will prove, albeit a minority, wrong. He has ensured that there is a love for this club and a pride. He knows that this is a chance for him that, at his age maybe; he thought he wouldn't get so soon. I'm proud he's our leader and the man who will ensure the spirit and pride of this club is not lost.
Tommy Smith is better looking than Sophia Loren

Suarez is an utter lunatic

Smoke bombs/grenades/pyros/giros are necessary

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 09:28:08 pm »
Good read that.

Like his willingness to come out swinging over Suarez recently - taking on the snide, lazy jibes from other managers head on. I also like how he doesn't throw his players under trains in public after a mistake in a match (to think that ever needed to be said as a prerequisite for the Liverpool job, eh?) and tries to shoulder a lot of the burden and remove a lot of the pressure from the young lads he's had to put out on the pitch.

We'll see. Future's bright if these young lads continue to progress and the money and nouse is there to fill in and top-up with top class players from elsewhere.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 09:37:35 pm »
That`s a great op mate. Fully agree with the sentiment.

It feels like slowly but surely something decent is getting built here. A far cry from some of the low times under Hodgson.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 09:39:03 pm »
Great post. I fucking love Brendan Rodgers. Really enjoying this season but kind of wishing it away aswell as I'm absolutely fascinated to see what he can do with another summer transfer window.

We'd already be in the top 4 comfortably if it wasn't for officials. He's doing a brilliant job.

Offline shizzledizzle

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 10:25:53 pm »
excellent post! and im so glad for Breandan that our fans are behind him as you said...

Im really satisfied so far, we have steadied the ship after a really tough start but we showed character and soon the results will come if we will be in all competitions come January I will be very very happy!

Offline Lothairio

• Kopite
  • Facci Sognare
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 10:31:34 pm »
The thing I liked very much about BR's post-match comments were that he never kept banging on about the disallowed goal, preferring to concentrate on the positives. Can't help but really like the guy. :)
Hat, cap, scarf, or yer badges...

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 10:32:35 pm »
Love that Garstonite. You're so right about those feelings around Hodgson in 2010. Yes, we'd had a poor start and the doubts were clearly there already for many but that was just the final straw. And a nice reminder about Kenny's Derby successes. In one year in charge he won just one less Derby than Moyes has managed in 10!

But this is about Rodgers now and I share your views on him. It's going to take time, we're one more yellow card (3 games max?) away from losing Suarez for a game and having no forward of 'stature' in the team, even January might not fix some of our problems. But by this time we already knew Hodgson was a dead man walking and there's just a completely different feel about what Rodgers (I should really call him Brendan to emphasise my different emotions) is trying to put together here.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 10:34:01 pm »
Brilliant read.

Exactly how I feel about the manager but said in a way I could only dream of.

Supporters of other clubs can say what they want - anyone who has watched us more than once this season will see we're heading in the right direction. The results haven't always been what we wanted, but the performances 90% of the time have been.

I'm confident we've got the man to take us back to where we belong.

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 10:48:47 pm »
The thing about Rodgers smile is, he isnt just smiling because he's embarrased, or thinks that he should, he genuinely found it hilarious. Love that.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 10:51:32 pm »
I hadn't seen that photo of Rodgers till now ;D I'm a fan of his balls too.

I also remember that Hodgson pic - tho from another angle... and I remember what went through me. It was like having someone shake your hand in a pathetic, clammy sort of way.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2012, 10:52:51 pm »
Absolutely the right man for us. It's weird that I'm so confident as we're not exactly getting results. I can't really explain it, it just feels right.

I feel the same and keep trying to explain it to people but failing. I feel more positive about things than I have in a long time.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline welshred1976

• Legacy Fan
  • make us dream
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2012, 11:05:30 pm »
Great read. Still upset by yesterday and the massive agenda against Suarez. Thanks for making me feel positive again.
“The status of the club is incredible, but it’s only until you come in it that you understand everything that goes on with the football club, with the Hillsborough Support Group ... it’s more than a football club, this is a way of life." Mr. Rodgers

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2012, 11:07:57 pm »
Nice one Garstonite, always enjoy your writing.

I was there yesterday and likewise at 'the Hodgson Derby'.  The two couldn't be further apart in terms of how I felt.

In 2010 I left the ground utterly clueless as to where the team were heading and utterly depressed by it all.  Yesterday, even whilst realising that we'd let slip a two goal lead, it felt like the team is really moving in the right direction.  A couple of decent signings, a bit more experience for the younger players and a bit more experience of these kinds of occasions for the manager, and we'll be onto a good thing.

Offline "Ninja Skrtel"

• Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2012, 11:56:37 pm »
Nicely written mate and I agree with your sentiment. Regardless of results, you can't get angry at the manager or the players if they are trying the right things and for the most part that's what's happening now (unlike Hodgson's reign). Full credit to Rodgers.
"Behave yourself".

Offline reds7

• Kopite
  • Walk on Tommo
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2012, 12:05:39 am »
Thanks for sharing. Classic photo of Rodgers there

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2012, 12:36:23 am »
Fantastic. What a website this is with so many different users making such great posts likes this that beat anything a full time journey can put out (I know some are)
Thanks for your feedback mate, our writers are indeed putting out some great stuff at the moment, nice to know its appreciated.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2012, 12:41:47 am »
Excellent post :)

Totally agree too, I am so comfortable with him as our manager.  I believe in his methods, his attitude, his personality, his vision.  Perfect fit for us right now, he knows the score, he knows what it will take and he will do everything in his power to get us where we should be.  Love him.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2012, 01:43:04 am »

Excellent piece Garstonite

A game based on the principles laid out from his most successful predecessors. A side that embodied their manager.

Lets face it - we crave this. Its the most important way that Shankly defines us today, and its a quality that distinguishes us from every other support in the land, probably in Europe.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:44:35 am by Stussy »
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2012, 02:10:24 am »
I was sceptical of Rodgers when he was first appointed. Almost all of my doubts about him are gone, I believe that this man given the time and support of the supporters and the club will get us back to where we belong. He's been able to show that not only does his footballing style fit with the club but his personality is also the right fit.

Offline cricketrocks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2012, 02:20:17 am »
I was sceptical of Rodgers when he was first appointed. Almost all of my doubts about him are gone, I believe that this man given the time and support of the supporters and the club will get us back to where we belong. He's been able to show that not only does his footballing style fit with the club but his personality is also the right fit.

I completely agree with both this and your quote from Veinticinco de Mayo. Rodgers is charismatic, classy and worth giving a proper chance.

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2012, 03:19:55 am »
That Hodgson picture was AFTER the match!? The one we lost 2-0 at Goodison?
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”