Author Topic: The Pass Master  (Read 17860 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
The Pass Master
« on: May 4, 2006, 06:42:09 pm »
I watched the 1986 FA Cup final replay on Monday with admiration.  Footballers of days gone by took to the pitch once again, showing that what may have been lacking in their legs was compensated for by their minds. Kenny showed the magic was still alive. Rush showed glimpses of his old spark and, amazingly, Molby showed he retained that special touch of class.

Despite being as round as a beach ball and visibly unfit, he spreads play and maintains possession with an aura of composure and guile. The Jan Molby's of the world are a dying breed. There are not enough players with raw ability anymore. Players who define the word "footballer". Fortunately for us, we are lucky enough to have a player in our very own Xabi Alonso in this mould = though thankfully not literally in Jan's physical mould!. When speaking of the comparisons between himself and the Dane, Alonso said "I feel great about that because I knew that he was a great player. He did great things here and if people start to compare us, it's a great honour for me."

Alonso’s eloquence and attentiveness is like a game of snooker: positioning and placement are both decisive. His passing range varies from the short and simple, to the outrageously obscure. He finds angles noone else sees. His maturity has helped him establish himself so quickly and he is the touch of class our midfield lacked in order to both accompany and act as a foil for the all-action Steven Gerrard. In addition, as seen in the most recent Merseyside Derby, he can also grab a game by the scruff of its neck and take control.

His actual role is somewhat of a mystery, however. There is no doubting his ability, but some people think he and one of Sissoko/Hamann are too cautious together as a partnership; yet when Gerrard is alongside him that particular pairing is exactly the opposite – too attacking-minded and lacking defensive cover.

Opinions are divided and mine, personally, is Alonso is a holding midfield player – but one, however, in the mould of Andrea Pirlo – who operates in a position the Italians would call a ‘pivot’ rather than your more traditional sitting midfield players, like Vieira, Makelele and, of course, are very own Didi Hamann. It is clear the coaching staff at Melwood have been working heavily on enhancing the defensive elements of his game.

Besides, should Benítez employ his favoured 4-2-3-1 formation which brought in so much success at Valencia, we could very well have the best of both worlds: Xabi Alonso partnering Momo Sissoko in central midfield, with a Gerrard or a Garcia playing in a more advanced role, supporting a lone striker.

When Alonso first arrived at the club, I didn’t know what to expect. On one hand, I had heard rave reviews about him from people more knowledgeable on Spanish football than myself. On the other, I was immediately going to be pessimistic over any player we buy for over three pence, bearing in mind recent transfer dealings.

Such fears were short-lived however, as Alonso, in the absence of the injured Gerrard, put in a magnificent display against newly-promoted Norwich. It was a performance that even credited acclaim from the opposition manager that day, Nigel Worthington. He claimed: “If I was a fan, I’d pay money to see him”. From then until January, Alonso was Liverpool’s best player. His most influential moments came at Craven Cottage in an inspirational second-half display which turned the game from a two goal deficit, to a four-two win, and in the home win at Arsenal, where he completed a sublime team move by thrashing the ball past Jens Lehmann into the top corner of the goal, sending Anfield into delirium.

Just as Xabi's season was ready to explode, his remarkable progress in English football was cut short at the hands of Chelsea’s Fat Frank Lampard, who broke Alonso’s ankle on New Year’s Day. Over the period of fourteen weeks in which Xabi was absent, Liverpool struggled domestically, losing to teams like Southampton and Birmingham, as well as the Carling Cup Final to the eventual Champions, Chelsea. There is no doubt that we missed Alonso’s presence, composure and ability in possession in such games. His return saw him play an immense 90 minutes away to Juventus which saw an injury-ravaged LFC progress to the Champions League semis.

Although it was clear a player in the style of Mohamed Sissoko would be necessary for the team to make progress in the League with its more physical aspects, Alonso had brought all the gleaming attributes which scream a world-class player – touch, vision and, most crucially, the capacity. In an age where athleticism seems to be something as important as these mentioned aspects, it is refreshing to have a player who does, quite literally, “let the ball do all the moving for him”.

It is also fair to say that, along with Steven Gerrard, we have two of the greatest midfield players in Europe. Considering that neither are even into what is traditionally seen as being a footballer’s “peak years”, it is an exciting thought. One of the most extraordinary things about Xabi which surprises people is his young age, due to the fact that he plays with so much wisdom and care – something which you would associate with a player in, say, his early 30s, rather than early 20s.

Earlier this season, Alonso, despite scoring frequently, was not performing to the standards we witnessed pre-January last season. However, since the turn of the year, he has been back to his inspirational self. Games like Sunderland away (where Alonso created both goals with transcendent passes) and Luton in the Cup show the advantage of having a player like him in your side: all it takes is one moment of magic to create an opportunity, find a player in space or find the back of the net with a drive from range.

It is obvious Benítez has done a magnificent job here at Anfield, thus far. He has built his success on the basis of a solid back-line and an industrious and creative midfield. Alonso is an essential ingredient to the future of this club and although spending £10m+ is always a risk, it is clear that this is certainly one that was worth taking.

© Garstonite 2006
« Last Edit: May 5, 2006, 09:56:44 pm by Rushian »

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
Re: The Pass-Master
« Reply #1 on: May 4, 2006, 07:08:49 pm »
Surprised I'm the first reply this is a great post!

In my opinion Xabi is that little bit more important that Gerrard to us  :o
« Last Edit: May 5, 2006, 12:36:29 pm by Tomaldinho »
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
« Reply #2 on: May 4, 2006, 07:13:43 pm »
Great read Garstonite.

Spurs at home (September 2004?) was another match that saw Xabi putting in another magnificent passing display.

After seeing those matches I thought I´ve never seen a Liverpool player passing the ball like that. Really opened my eyes.

With all the high hopes after his first season I must admit I´ve been a little disappointed with him in some matches this season. Not saying he´s been playing badly, guess I just had too high hopes for him this season.

It clearly looks like he´s been adapting the physical demands of premiership this season better than in his first season. He´s been getting quite a many bookings as well.

Think we´ll see the best of him next season, no doubt about that.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 4, 2006, 07:22:00 pm »
the Spurs game was in April, I think. It was certainly sunny, if I recall.

Offline Victor

• Legacy Fan
  • Daa Dah Daaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #4 on: May 4, 2006, 07:23:13 pm »
Great post Garsonite .... for my money it's in midfield that Rafa has improved us most ... gone are the days when only Gerrard had the creativity to produce the bit of magic required to break defences down .... add Alonso and Sissoko (both in their early 20s) and imagine how strong our midfield is going to be in 3 years    .... Abramovichs millions aren't needed if we can get as good a group of players as we have for the money paid
"There are two great teams in Liverpool.... Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves"

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
« Reply #5 on: May 4, 2006, 07:29:21 pm »
In my opinion Xabi is that little bit more important that Gerrard to us  :o

Not sure I would go that far, one is much better at slowing the pace of the game whilst the other is much better at speeding it up. Both are of massive importance to us, but it's been fashionable for Liverpool fans to understate Gerrard's importance since the Chelsea "will he won't he" episodes. An outside perspective would certainly have it that Gerrard is more important. I would suggest that their importance is similar and that both will play a key part in the coming years.

And thanks Garstonite, a very enjoyable read as ever :wave

If Guardiola was the best ever Catalan player then Alonso has a very good chance of becoming the best ever Basque.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2006, 07:34:08 pm by zigackly »
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 4, 2006, 07:29:46 pm »
Norwich was the one where he was awesome. Something like 82 of 85 passes completed.

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
« Reply #7 on: May 4, 2006, 07:35:46 pm »
Great read mate. Didn't he hit a lovely pass against WBA away this season? I'm sure it was this game, we scored from it and it was one of the best long passes you will ever see. Might buy the season review DVD just to see that pass again! Proper footballer.
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #8 on: May 4, 2006, 07:37:39 pm »
xabi alonso is awesome for me.

the amount of yardage that lad covers is unbelievable,people rave about momo's stamina & rightly so-xabi aint far behind if not level pegging.

would also strengthen support for his attitude,went thro' a bit of a blip this season & came thro' it a stronger player.

superb xabi lad,fucking superb.

Offline ben

• Legacy Fan
  • dont you know who i think i am?
« Reply #9 on: May 4, 2006, 07:38:40 pm »
the norwich and spurs games had me giggling like a girl. unbelievable displays of ability.

i love xabi, he's a great professional, loves this club and is genuinely one of the most talented players in the world. hope the lad never leaves.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #10 on: May 4, 2006, 07:38:43 pm »
I really had my doubts about Alonso when Rafa signed him because of the fee and I was worried that Rafa was falling into the same trap as Gerard Houllier did with Cheyrou, Diao and Diouf. An hour into the Norwich game at Anfield last season I knew Rafa had signed someone very special. Craven Cottage 3 weeks later confirmed it.

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #11 on: May 4, 2006, 07:38:48 pm »
Great post Garstonite. Agree with pretty much all of that.

Slightly off-topic, but despite Xabi's undoubted brilliance I've a feeling we might see slightly less of him next season. Sounds crazy, but I've got a feeling that Rafa is gonna 'mix and match' in the centre of midfield next season (much more than has happened this season).

Our 2 'good runs' this season have basically sen a settled 4 of Stevie, Xabi, Momo, and Harry in the midfield. But with Gonzales, and hopefully a right winger coming in next season, I reckon we're bound to see more rotation - there'll be games Xabi doesn't start, there'll be games Momo doesn't start - and yes - there'll be games Stevie doesn't start.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but rotating his central 2 is something Rafa did a fair bit at Valencia??

Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline ealsc15

• Kopite
  • Hey Jude
« Reply #12 on: May 4, 2006, 08:17:38 pm »
I met the whole team after fulham game and when I shook Xabi's hand I held it for a bout 2mins shaking it and chating to him he was great a really nice lad.

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 4, 2006, 08:29:07 pm »
Norwich was very good but Spurs was even much better. There is a video compilation in youtube of that game. When I told a friend that all those passes made by Xabi belonged to the same match he simply couldn't believe it. Absolutely brilliant!

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 4, 2006, 08:29:55 pm »
enjoyed that - agree totally on the idea of him playing the 'pivot' role.. although I feel stevie is the the most important player we have...

sometimes stevie's role as captain hinders xabi - - if only xabi would take all of our dead balls - - his venemous corners are hit with such whip that they are always such a threat  - - i can never understand why stevie demands to take so many short corners which are a waste of time.* i love how quickly he adapted to the english game, not many foriegn midfielders slot in so quickly..

*unless we score that is :)
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline ben

• Legacy Fan
  • dont you know who i think i am?
« Reply #15 on: May 4, 2006, 08:31:19 pm »
he should take more set pieces tbf, gerrard more of a threat in the box anyway.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 4, 2006, 08:31:43 pm »
he should take more set pieces tbf, gerrard more of a threat in the box anyway.

ala Aston Villa...

Agreed.

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
« Reply #17 on: May 4, 2006, 08:34:04 pm »
the Spurs game was in April, I think. It was certainly sunny, if I recall.

Yup, 16th of April. My mistake that one.

Offline ScotRed2

• Boys Pen
« Reply #18 on: May 4, 2006, 08:38:41 pm »
First time poster so almost embarrassed to point out Xavi's defence importance - our best tackler I think and most prolific and accurate passer also. Certainly a good defense midfielder in the best sense

Offline ScotRed2

• Boys Pen
« Reply #19 on: May 4, 2006, 08:39:28 pm »
Oops Xabi (over excited) :P

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
« Reply #20 on: May 4, 2006, 08:40:25 pm »
Sounds much better that one.   :P

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scousers rule the country.
« Reply #21 on: May 4, 2006, 08:51:42 pm »
He's a fantastic player. A true footballer rather than a true athlete. You don't get many players like him these days as you mentioned before. He is probaly the slowest in are team. But has the quickest brain. He knows when to go for them long 40 yard (amazing) balls and when too do the short neat passing.

You can allways rely on him when we are 1-0 up and everything is a bit frantic to slow the pace down and control possesion.

You can also rely on him when we are 1-0 down and everything is controlled by them to produce an amazing pass which would split a defence apart and bring a goal.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #22 on: May 4, 2006, 08:55:56 pm »
An hour into the Norwich game at Anfield last season I knew Rafa had signed someone very special.
That does sound very knee jerk. You made your mind up after an easy strolling victory against a team that got relegated. Xabi can be terrific and he is a great passer but my one criticism of him in the past is that sometimes he doesn't influence or affect the game and result enough. At the moment I'm still not 100% sure that this has been put right. I don't want to sound picky or anything about someone who has such a touch of class but I desperately want to see him dominate in the most important games like against Chelsea, United and Arsenal which as of yet he hasn't really done. And it's these games that are the most important ones for us, especially next season if we are going to get near the title.

It's all well and good looking sublime in the sun at home against your Norwich's, West Brom's and Wigan's and the like but the true greats do that consistently against their big rivals too. Garcia is also guilty of the same perhaps, he has a field day usually against those types of teams but often goes missing or finds that his touch and passing deserts him at places like Stamford Bridge, Highbury and Old Trafford.

I think that there's a tendency by some to overrate Xabi just a little. I'm not saying that he isn't fabulous but I just feel that there's more to come from him, one more step up to take before he's sitting at the top table with football's genuine elite. Hopefully in the next 12 months he can do that.

Offline art03

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23 on: May 4, 2006, 09:14:19 pm »
The same can be said of Gerrard then. He does not really take the game by the scruff of the neck when playing against those 3 teams you mentioned.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #24 on: May 4, 2006, 09:15:32 pm »
The same can be said of Gerrard then. He does not really take the game by the scruff of the neck when playing against those 3 teams you mentioned.
In the same period perhaps but he has done in the past.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 4, 2006, 09:23:15 pm »
Yup, 16th of April. My mistake that one.

Right you are.

Should have remembered that. :(

Offline myrlas