Author Topic: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer  (Read 129839 times)

Offline greenstien

• Bring out your stools.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do or do not, there is no try
Re: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer
« Reply #1160 on: March 5, 2012, 10:07:55 pm »
Huntelaar + Lavezzi + Banega.

That's different than my list of Lucas Moura, Eden Hazard and Lionel Messi, but equally as likely.  I agree with most of what you have said though. We are a stronger team than last season, but still lacking additional creativity.
Shelvey will become top class, mark my words... Infact quote me on that.

Offline blue.moon

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1161 on: March 5, 2012, 10:10:59 pm »
Here is my edited post:

City fan in peace.

I watch a lot of Liverpool matches as many of my friends support your team. Here is my worthless opinion on what I think Liverpool needs:
Finisher + Winger + Creative AM or CM = Top 4 (or even a title push)

After giving it some thought:

This could seriously push for a title. I don't know about winning it, but they fill everything that Liverpool is lacking.

Would probably cost 65 million. Maybe more, maybe less. Better than the 100m spent on the likes of Carroll, Henderson, Downing, Adam, etc....none of which are top class players. Add 3 top class players to Liverpool and your average buys could end up being quality squad players. Every team needs a good squad. (No disrespected at all intended by the way)

Honestly, a club like Liverpool deserves more top class players. I don't know if they'd come without CL football though.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Reasons for the names I picked:
Huntelaar - Brilliant finisher. Left foot, right foot, header. Liverpool's main problem has been lack of goals. It doesn't matter if you create chances, only if you convert them. This is what seperates the good teams from the best teams; the best teams convert their chances.

Lavezzi- Can cut open any defence. He creates so many chances for the likes of Cavani and would be a massive upgrade on Downing.

Banega- Creative midfielder. A lot of people don't understand what it means to be creative. It's not necessarily tricks, but more so vision and passing. Liverpool needs someone to create chances with accurate through balls and passes without Suarez having to drop deep to try and do it himself.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2012, 10:18:51 pm by blue.moon »

Offline thx4thememeories

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1162 on: March 5, 2012, 10:11:44 pm »
Anyone think we could have a chance with falcao considering how bad Atletico are going?

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1163 on: March 5, 2012, 10:13:58 pm »
its not a massive dip in form, he has just clearly outgrown the eredivisie and lacks the necessary focus to play the likes of VVV. As an Ajax fan myself I'd love to see him come here. I think Vertonghen would be a very smart buy aswell. He's a DM converted to play CB and he can also fill in at LB. This season has shown that an injury to either Lucas or Agger result in lesser performances. Vertonghen is a quality allround player. Plus as centreback he plays left so Skrtel could stay on the right (in likely case of Agger injury). Back in his earlier days when he played CDM Ajax fans used to compare him to Gerrard because of his long range shots and build. Also he'd cost about 12-14m euros. 

Id fucking hate it if he ended up at spurs. Its bad enough rafa is playing for them.

Question is, would he want to play second fiddle to Agger (when fit), and Lucas - as opposed to being a nailed on starter with Spurs? Don't think CB is a priority at the moment anyway.

It's clear that we need a quality winger, poacher type striker and creative/dynamic CM - before anything else.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1164 on: March 5, 2012, 10:16:02 pm »
Anyone think we could have a chance with falcao considering how bad Atlético are going?

In the unlikely event he forced a move, Atletico aren't gonna sell for any less than they paid for him 6 months ago and seeing as he cost 40 Million Euro's, I'm gonna go no.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1165 on: March 5, 2012, 10:17:48 pm »
Here is my edited post:

City fan in peace.

I watch a lot of Liverpool matches as many of my friends support your team. Here is my worthless opinion on what I think Liverpool needs:

This could seriously push for a title. I don't know about winning it, but they fill everything that Liverpool is lacking.

Would probably cost 65 million. Maybe more, maybe less. Better than the 100m spent on the likes of Carroll, Henderson, Downing, Adam, etc....none of which are top class players. Add 3 top class players to Liverpool and your average buys could end up being quality squad players. Every team needs a good squad. (No disrespected at all intended by the way)

Honestly, a club like Liverpool deserves more top class players. I don't know if they'd come without CL football though.

Huntelaar - Brilliant finisher. Left foot, right foot, header. Liverpool's main problem has been lack of goals. It doesn't matter if you create chances, only if you convert them. This is what seperates the good teams from the best teams; the best teams convert their chances.

Lavezzi- Can cut open any defence. He creates so many chances for the likes of Cavani and would be a massive upgrade on Downing.

Banega- Creative midfielder. A lot of people don't understand what it means to be creative. It's not necessarily tricks, but more so vision and passing. Liverpool needs someone to create chances with accurate through balls and passes without Suarez having to drop deep to try and do it himself.

man city have more chance of getting lavezzi and cavanni

Offline blue.moon

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1166 on: March 5, 2012, 10:21:32 pm »
man city have more chance of getting lavezzi and cavanni
I only mentioned Lavezzi.. And I'm not so sure. Napoli won't be in the CL next season I don't think so 24 million + good wages could make it happen.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1167 on: March 5, 2012, 10:23:44 pm »

It's clear that we need a quality winger, poacher type striker and creative/dynamic CM - before anything else.

Depends on our budget, I'm sick of buying say, 3 players for 40 million, when the positions the players fill need 65 million spending.
I don't believe our net spend come the summer will excede 25/30 million. And I reckon we should spunk the fucking lot on a 'proper quality' frontman.
Just do what it takes to land Hunter/Lavezzi/Cavani.
Our build up play has been fine, even Downing has started to realise that he was bought to get the ball into the area.
We don't need an attacking midfielder, when Lucas is back, Gerrard should be that man. We don't need another winger, Bellamy and Downing will do for now. Our over riding priority is to sign someone that makes the net bulge. I'm 100% confident, that Torres of 3 years ago would be absolutely filling his boots week in week out, and we'd be more or less guaranteed top4, even at this early stage.

P.S. If the striker can take penalties, even better   ;D ;D
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #1168 on: March 5, 2012, 10:26:56 pm »
Here is my edited post:

City fan in peace.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Not trying to slag you off, and your post is much appreciated, but you're kinda stating the obvious.

You've just listed 3 of the most inform players in Europe, and said that would make us title contenders. Kinda obvious really...

But in all fairness the players and positions you've listed are pretty much perfect. Getting them to come to us on the other hand...

Someone better get George Mcfly on the case.

Offline blue.moon

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1169 on: March 5, 2012, 10:29:54 pm »
Not trying to slag you off, and your post is much appreciated, but you're kinda stating the obvious.

You've just listed 3 of the most inform players in Europe, and said that would make us title contenders. Kinda obvious really...

But in all fairness the players and positions you've listed are pretty much perfect. Getting them to come to us on the other hand...

Someone better get George Mcfly on the case.
Besides Banega (who is injured and maybe could be stolen for cheap), all of them are in form. So what? What kind of players do you want for your club, those that aren't performing?

Liverpool is historically one of the best clubs in England...you lot deserve some of the best players.

Offline greenstien

• Bring out your stools.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do or do not, there is no try
« Reply #1170 on: March 5, 2012, 10:31:50 pm »
I can see Liverpool making a big purchase in the Summer transfer window and a couple of young players but nothing more. (although this just sounds like I am paraphrasing the title of this thread) I think the last summer transfer window was to get rid of the deadwood preventing younger players from coming through and buying players to improve the overall creativity of the team.  It just needs tweaking now and a gradual improvement. We don't have the money of Chelsea or Man City so a big list of top quality players is unlikely.  One will be more likely.
Shelvey will become top class, mark my words... Infact quote me on that.

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1171 on: March 5, 2012, 10:34:52 pm »
Besides Banega (who is injured and maybe could be stolen for cheap), all of them are in form. So what? What kind of players do you want for your club, those that aren't performing?

Liverpool is historically one of the best clubs in England...you lot deserve some of the best players.

Fancy lending us some money?

Offline blue.moon

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1172 on: March 5, 2012, 10:35:28 pm »
Depends on our budget, I'm sick of buying say, 3 players for 40 million, when the positions the players fill need 65 million spending.
I don't believe our net spend come the summer will excede 25/30 million. And I reckon we should spunk the fucking lot on a 'proper quality' frontman.
Our build up play has been fine, even Downing has started to realise that he was bought to get the ball into the area.
We don't need an attacking midfielder, when Lucas is back, Gerrard should be that man. We don't need another winger, Bellamy and Downing will do for now. Our over riding priority is to sign someone that makes the net bulge. I'm 100% confident, that Torres of 3 years ago would be absolutely filling his boots week in week out, and we'd be more or less guaranteed top4, even at this early stage.

I agree. Spend 25 million on a quality foreign striker, and your biggest problem is solved. Remember, quality over quantity. 3 for 40 million means nothing if they're average players...if anything it can become a problem.

But

Spend 65 million (if your owners would) and Liverpool is one of the best teams in the world again.

That's just my opinion.

Edit: Gerrard and Bellamy are 31 and 32. They can't be relied on forever. It's  better to invest early on the future, than late when you realise you have a problem (Chelsea for example).
« Last Edit: March 5, 2012, 10:39:27 pm by blue.moon »

Offline Renato

• One Moura One Cup
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #1173 on: March 5, 2012, 10:36:39 pm »
I can see Liverpool making a big purchase in the Summer transfer window and a couple of young players but nothing more. (although this just sounds like I am paraphrasing the title of this thread) I think the last summer transfer window was to get rid of the deadwood preventing younger players from coming through and buying players to improve the overall creativity of the team.  It just needs tweaking now and a gradual improvement. We don't have the money of Chelsea or Man City so a big list of top quality players is unlikely.  One will be more likely.

I think last summer was supposed to get us into the Top 4, but yeah i agree with you. We can take it in stages and bear the fruit of some of the youth coming in addition to any new signings.

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
« Reply #1174 on: March 5, 2012, 10:38:13 pm »

What he is saying is,what can we offer to Lavezzi and Huntelaar that other clubs,like city,Milan, bayern etc couldn't offer? They have reasonably solid CL chances and good chances of coming high in the their respected leagues.

Unless they have a knack for playing with a racist cheating diving bucktooth biting handballing on the line baby stealer (I love luis really) and a beer guzzler then theres not alot else. I don't personally believe they would understand our history as much as english players would being they age they are and nationality.
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1175 on: March 5, 2012, 10:42:05 pm »
What he is saying is,what can we offer to Lavezzi and Huntelaar that other clubs,like city,Milan, bayern etc couldn't offer? They have reasonably solid CL chances and good chances of coming high in the their respected leagues.

Unless they have a knack for playing with a racist cheating diving bucktooth biting handballing on the line baby stealer (I love luis really) and a beer guzzler then theres not alot else. I don't personally believe they would understand our history as much as english players would being they age they are and nationality.
Viscous cycle I'm afraid. We need a top striker to get into the Champions League but we need to be in the Champions League to get a top striker.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1176 on: March 5, 2012, 10:45:29 pm »

Trust me, I would love these players to come here. I'd probably jizz my pants if we signed Lavezzi... I mean I do have a penis dysfunction which forces me to ejaculate at random moments in the day, but that's beside the point.

But we've got to be realistic-

When players come around like Lavezzi, and Huntelaar, they are wanted by every club in europe, who will be willing to play top dollar. This means we...

a) Have to compete financially, which I'm unsure whether we could. Carroll was a one off, just got 50 million so let's spend a little dosh, kind of signing. I must admit I fear that this summer Mr Henry is going to be so willing to take out the check book, after last summers debacle in the transfer market. He's probably beginning to question his faith in Commolli most definitely, and perhaps a little in Kenny.

b) Even if we were to outbid the other clubs you would assume are going to be in for the likes of Lavezzi, we've got to persuade them that Liverpool are going to be winning trophies, being in the CL in future. Some players relish the challenge of coming to a club like ours, being the hero of a city, a once formidable club now wounded and dishevelled, being lifted by a foreign wonder kid and hailed as a god. Players like Suarez, who want to be THE man at a club. Other players, though equally talented don't want that burden, they want to be going to a team already in success, joining players who are as good if not better than themselves.

c) WAGES. It all depends on what their wage demands are really aswell. I think wages are clearly one of FSG's major sore patches. It's clear that they would rather pay inflated transfer fees, rather than humongous wages in order to bring down costs in the long run. Which is fair enough, but while we have no CL it's very difficult to sign players who are at the top of Europe's shopping list, without going mad with wages, like you guys have done.

Anyway, who knows! Maybe John Henry will surprise everyone and really splash the cash this summer on two top dogs. And if there were two players I'd want it would be Lavezzi and Huntelaar. We'll see I guess, but there's no reason to believe that this will be the case in the summer, so Liverpool fans shouldn't be getting their hopes up.

It could go from the two above, to Scott Sinclair and Darren Bent very quickly.

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1177 on: March 5, 2012, 10:48:44 pm »
Viscous cycle I'm afraid. We need a top striker to get into the Champions League but we need to be in the Champions League to get a top striker.

Ahhh, the new saying is going to be...

"What came first, the Champions League football or the Klaas Jan Huntelaar"

Well Huntelaar obviously....

"Ahhh, but how did he come to Liverpool with Champions League football"

Oh. Oh yeah.... That is a tricky one.

Offline blue.moon

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1178 on: March 5, 2012, 10:50:09 pm »
Has no one mentioned Giroud??

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1179 on: March 5, 2012, 10:50:59 pm »

Bollocks media speculation, why would we? the transfer board is another 4 months off.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1180 on: March 5, 2012, 10:51:29 pm »
I don't think Huntelaar would be unattainable to be honest, I don't know much about Schalke's financial position but apparently it's not the best and he's playing Europa League footy now.

As for CL clubs wanting him, don't think they'll be too much attention around him, can't see a suitor for him really.

Would love him here.

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
« Reply #1181 on: March 5, 2012, 10:52:12 pm »

Not having a dig,but this is suppose to be a discussion on whether we need to sign people and what positions we should sign aswell as Comolli's original statement. The mods won't look too kindly on another thread where pointless names are being spouted left,right and centre.

No idea who Giroud is though,Pm me about him if you'd like.
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1182 on: March 5, 2012, 10:52:44 pm »

Sell Downing. Sell Carroll. Use the ~25M we'd get and add the rest of the transfer budget to get us a leading, creative LM/RM and a first class goalscorer. That is, the players we needed from the start.

I think the quality striker need is clear. But with Maxi, Bellamy, Kuyt and Gerrard over 30, we have an approaching problem in attacking midfield too. Neither of Downing and Henderson have shown they are ready to fill the roles down the flanks. Keep the old guard for another season, get those two quality players in and we're in business. And mr Comolli would even be right about his 1-2 adjustments...

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #1183 on: March 5, 2012, 10:54:28 pm »
The squad was built last summer, this summer is about adding quality to that squad.

That's what I hope for at least.

That's my hope as well. We have the squad players and enough "good" players. We need to add quality now and that may mean only two players of very high quality rather than more squad players.

A couple of cheap but quality older players may also be a good idea..........a bit like Bellamy, who may be able to play cameo roles.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2012, 10:58:08 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1184 on: March 5, 2012, 10:59:41 pm »
That's my hope as well. We have the squad players and enough "good" players. We need to add quality now and that may mean only two players of very high quality rather than more squad players.

A couple of cheap but quality older players may also be a good idea..........a bit like Bellamy, who may be able to play cameo roles.

Two top players is all we need in my opinion. To get into the top four atleast.

We'd be there now if you added a decent playmaker and a decent striker to our side.

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #1185 on: March 5, 2012, 11:10:02 pm »
So you're happy with our CMs this season?
with our cm core yea. our issue is putting the ball in the net, thats the strikers problem.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1186 on: March 5, 2012, 11:11:03 pm »
Two top players is all we need in my opinion. To get into the top four atleast.

We'd be there now if you added a decent playmaker and a decent striker to our side.

Thing is, it's never been easy for us to get the right kind of decent players into our side, when we've needed to.

After every transfer window, we're always left wanting a little bit. I'd say the last window, we finally tried to fill up all the key positions that we were lacking in, but we filled them up with players who aren't up to standard required to compete for top honours.

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stop Fucking Moaning!!!!
« Reply #1187 on: March 5, 2012, 11:14:23 pm »
Would really prefer us to go for some lesser known but on the up players rather than spunk the lot on 1 or 2 superstars. The problem we have is in the scouting dept I think. I watch a hell of a lot of minor European league and South American footy and there are plenty hungry, talented and reasonably priced players plying their trade over there who look ready for the step up and are available. Does no one wonder where all these superstars come from? Most of them were a gamble taken by various clubs on the continent who have developed or simply turned out to be top class. We don't take enough risks imo.
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Offline Colin

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1188 on: March 5, 2012, 11:17:11 pm »
Two top players is all we need in my opinion.

Probably agree but after last summer I'm not sure we can get "two top players" without spunking money elsewhere in the process.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1189 on: March 5, 2012, 11:42:26 pm »
Is this the thread in which we're allowed to talk about formations and cheekily throw in the odd name of a potential target?

*rubs hands*

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1190 on: March 5, 2012, 11:44:21 pm »
Well, we have to do something to while away the time before the next transfer window opens :)
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

« Reply #1191 on: March 6, 2012, 12:15:53 am »
Don't care if we have to blow our entire budget but we need to spend on top quality CF.

Offline SenorGarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria...
« Reply #1192 on: March 6, 2012, 12:24:54 am »
Aslong as these few adjustments are QUALITY players then I'd agree with Comolli.

When you look at our team:

Goalkeeper- Sorted
Back 4 - Sorted
Centre Midfield - Pretty much sorted with Lucas and Gerrard returning but ideally another playmaker would be nice
Wingers - Really need one top class winger
Striker - Our main problem area - one great finisher please.

So potentially we're looking at a top class striker and winger, and if we're being greedy then a creative midfielder.

Then we'll really be in the mix next season. The problem is identifying these 3 players.
"A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Liverpool Football Club from every other team. The supporters." - Luis Javier García Sanz

Thanks Kenny, for making us believe again. YNWA

Offline tamadic

• Kopite
« Reply #1193 on: March 6, 2012, 12:40:43 am »
Do not understand at all why we didn't try and sign a striker during January, intensified bemusement even further when you consider our goalscoring form post Jan 31st.

We might try, but players rejected us or their prices were too high?!

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1194 on: March 6, 2012, 12:51:18 am »
Sell Downing. Sell Carroll. Use the ~25M we'd get and add the rest of the transfer budget to get us a leading, creative LM/RM and a first class goalscorer. That is, the players we needed from the start.

I think the quality striker need is clear. But with Maxi, Bellamy, Kuyt and Gerrard over 30, we have an approaching problem in attacking midfield too. Neither of Downing and Henderson have shown they are ready to fill the roles down the flanks. Keep the old guard for another season, get those two quality players in and we're in business. And mr Comolli would even be right about his 1-2 adjustments...
He also said nothing "massive" and 1 or 2 adjustments certainly doesn't inspire confidence in us signing big players even if it's just 1 or 2.

Desperately hope I'm wrong, but negative vibes...

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1195 on: March 6, 2012, 12:55:37 am »
Aslong as these few adjustments are QUALITY players then I'd agree with Comolli.

When you look at our team:

Goalkeeper- Sorted
Back 4 - Sorted
Centre Midfield - Pretty much sorted with Lucas and Gerrard returning but ideally another playmaker would be nice
Wingers - Really need one top class winger
Striker - Our main problem area - one great finisher please.

So potentially we're looking at a top class striker and winger, and if we're being greedy then a creative midfielder.

Then we'll really be in the mix next season. The problem is identifying these 3 players.

Is that really where we're at, though?

I posted this the other day (and I don't even go into the fact that Lucas might not return on all cylinders):

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=287373.msg9976932#msg9976932

Something I've felt over many years is that with Rafa we were very good at improving the team but, due to budgetary restrictions, such improvements were done by replacing departing 'team-members' (I differentiate, here, from 'squad-members') rather than replacing the covering squad member and bumping the previous season's 'team-member' down the pecking order due to new signings.

I'll be so frustrated if we don't go into next season with a new, quality central midfielder - it seems that the thinking was that we'd play Lucas and Gerrard in the middle, with Henderson replacing the inside-right Meireles, and Downing being signed to play wide of our lopsided midfield.  Charlie Adam was signed as cover but, as it happens, had ended up being first pick usually due to Gerrard's absence.

Now, I don't want this post to be perceieved as a criticism of Adam - he's absolutely ideal for the role he was signed up for.  I do, however, feel that we need to be looking at signing a central midfielder who we can have confidence to play week in week out and take us forward - I just don't think that Steven Gerrard is that player any more (for reasons outlined via the link above).

We've recently been treated to a top-class centre forward in Fernando Torres - but, whilst it'd be lovely to enjoy that kind of attacking talent once again, he had the support of Gerrard who, in turn, had the support of Javier Mascherano and Xabi Alonso in a 4-2-3-1 system.  The core of that side was outstanding and it's unlikely that we'll be able to buy into that sort of quality in the short-term.

Instead of spunking big on a player and hoping it works, we need to consider the contingency plan - what if that striker we sign breaks his leg on August 11th?  If we're stuck in a position whereby we have as meagre goalscoring contribution from elsewhere as we have had this season, then we're likely to find ourselves in the same scenario.

Personally, I'd be looking at making a shrewd acquisition of proven quality to replace Maxi and Kuyt - somebody who is comfortable playing wide (but in a side with a supporting full/wing-back...we don't necessarily need a chalk-on-the-boots wingman) and with a forward, is a proven goalscorer, has a good fitness record, won't break the bank, and, if they can bring additional marketing perks, too - great!  I don't think we'll haggle too hard over Maxi and Kuyt - if we could bring somebody in for around £12m then we'd be looking steady.  I don't really want to get all Football Manager and throw names about but if the money were sent Fulham's way, I don't think we'd be disappointed.  Long-term proven quality who would sell shirts.

If we can trust that man to improve upon the combined contributions, this season, of Kuyt (who has had a poor season) and Maxi (who's barely featured) then we've started the summer well.  I think we've all got faith in Craig Bellamy hitting the net on a reasonably regular basis and, though his finishing is erratic, Suarez has never struggled to score goals with his previous clubs (or internationally) and I've every confidence in he and Andy Carroll having much better seasons than 2011-12.

It's the midfield man that I'd be throwing the cash at - somebody who can partner Lucas and provide a solid foundation for the team, but who can also work in tandem with Lucas so that one is always ready and able to support the attack and maintain pressure by defending on the edge of the opposition third.  We all still look around and struggle to come up with a better alternative to Steven Gerrard but I just don't know how often he'll be available and how soon he'll be up to speed when he is - if we're to move forward we need to accept that we're not going to find a like-for-like replacement and that there's no point resting on our laurels and including him in our pre-season Best XI fantasy plans.

I think we can upgrade the forward/right option at potentially no additional cost, need to look hard at the central midfield issue, and should get those sorted before considering a true wide-man.  I never want to throw in the towel, but if the table barely shows any improvements in the 'race for fourth' in three games time, then I think we should also take the opportunity to have an extended look at one or both of Flanagan and Robinson.

Offline Aristotle

• is a bugger for the bottle. Apache tool wielder extraordinaire - especially in wardrobes. The 'Oral B' Specialist.....brushes his cavities vigorously outdoors.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Happiness depends upon ourselves
« Reply #1196 on: March 6, 2012, 01:20:12 am »
I've been told by a friend of mine (Ajax fan) that this season he's had a massive dip in form, althouth it's been almost since i last talked about him, so don't know about recent games.

Anyways.. I think it wouldn't be a great sign to Coates if we signed another CB. And no, we've had enough of adopting players to different positions. Actually we have exactly same type of player, only ours is a better one.  ;)

Could say the same about Enrique though tbf. Was boss, wanted a move, didn't get it, became uninterested, got his move and became even more boss.
My twitter
If Harry can get Spurs to the CL 1/4 final then he could get England to the World Cup final.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1197 on: March 6, 2012, 01:24:57 am »
Right now I would be happy if we just buy a top class striker who can put away those half chances and link up well with Luis.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #1198 on: March 6, 2012, 02:19:34 am »
Yep,deffo would go for a top top striker even if that means that we'd have to look at cheap signings like Hoilett for an attacking midfield position.
CF is our first priority.After that,an AM/RW if we have the cash.
I think that splashing the cash on 2 top long term signings this summer will pay dividends.

Offline "Ninja Skrtel"

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1199 on: March 6, 2012, 02:52:23 am »
Right now I would be happy if we just buy a top class striker who can put away those half chances and link up well with Luis.

Absolutely. We need goals. It's embarrassing. After that we need to get a top class winger/AM who can consistently provide the final ball. Then DM cover. Everything else is looking sweet.
"Behave yourself".