Author Topic: Reds in Reserve: Liverpool 0 - 3 Blackburn  (Read 4822 times)

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
Reds in Reserve: Liverpool 0 - 3 Blackburn
« on: October 26, 2005, 09:41:49 pm »
I was hoping to write a report tonight that would at least slightly cheer up all the depressed Reds. Unfortunately the best I can do is to say before you read this, put away all sharp objects and ask a loved one to hide the paracetamol.

I arrived at The Racecourse on a relatively warm evening full of hope. I was looking forward to the wonderful distraction the reserves have proven to be this season. With some of the more senior lads having played for the first team and with Guthrie and Hammill out injured there were a few changes. Charlie Barnett was called up from the Academy and on the bench wearing number 16 was sixteen year old trialist Tunnicliffe. He was looking to impress this week after making the short trip from Stockport County (trivia: the nearest club ground to the Mersey) to try his luck.

In the Blackburn line up was ex-red David Thompson as he made his comeback from injury. He was playing in centre midfield  and was up against Peltier getting a chance in his preferred position. Dudek continued for the Reds in goal.

From the kick off it wasn't clear what formation the Reds had adopted. It seemed they were playing a 4-1-2-3 when attacking and dropping back into a 4-5-1 when defending. I will refer to it as the bonsai tree formation.

It was an extremely scrappy start and the first real action came on the quarter of an hour mark. The tricky and cocksure Jemal Johnson was brought down by captain for the night O'Donnell on the edge of the box. David Thompson took the free kick which deflected off the wall for a corner. Three minutes later and Thompson was involved again. He shot from twenty five yards out forcing Dudek to make a save low to his left. Blackburn had an almost identical effort through Peter just moments later, but he pulled his shot wide.

Liverpool's best chance of the whole night came on twenty four minutes. Mannix was fouled on the left-corner of the penalty area. He got up to take the freekick himself. It was well hit but straight at the keeper, who parried and collected on the bounce. That was as good as it got.

Within three minutes Blackburn had taken the lead. Johnson again was the danger, he shot from the left angle of the area and appeared to beat Dudek on his near post. If the ball wasn't deflected then I think Dudek should have done better.

Liverpool's woes were almost compounded moments later when Peltier went in with what can only be described as a shocking tackle on Nolan. He some how escaped with just a caution and Nolan was lucky to be able to play any further part at all. As it was he limped off five minutes later.

Johnson was again making a nuisance of himself on forty minutes when he hit a cracking left footed shot which went across Dudek diving to his right and hit the join of crossbar and post. The ball bounced out to Peter who shot well but this time Dudek, reacting swiftly, got his hand to it and turned it round for a corner.

Liverpool  briefly forced a couple of freekicks around the Blackburn area but Mannix was unable to test the goalkeeper from either. The half time whistle blew and Liverpool went in deservedly trailing 1-0. Blackburn always appeared to have more time on the ball and more options. When Liverpool defenders were on the ball nobody in midfield was making space. Guthrie has been excellent at making himself available in such circumstances all season and he was clearly being missed. Hobbs was doing well, but collecting the ball in these areas is not his natural game.

Tunnicliffe came on at half time moving to centre back. Connall Platt also came on and Liverpool reverted to a straight 4-4-2. The players coming off were Antwi and Nardiello. Within five minutes of the restart Blackburn had doubled their lead. Johnson was again the protagonist. He cleverly shot through Tunnicliffe's  legs to Dudek's right. Dudek really should have done better, but he only succeeded in pushing the ball into the path of Peter who tapped home from two yards.

The excellent David Thompson nearly ruined his night on 55 minutes. Calliste hit him with an impetuous late tackle and Thompson reacted angrily, jumping to his feet and gripping Calliste around the throat. He could easily have gone for that, but he escaped without so much as a booking. Calliste was not so lucky, he collected a yellow for the challenge.

Tunicliffe settled in quickly at centre back. Whilst there were clearly a few issues about holding the line, he was dominant in the air and confident on the floor. He showed no signs of being overawed.

Blackburn were completely dominant as the second half progressed. On 67 minutes Roque was sucked inside leaving his right back duties. This left Peter free to cross from the left. Thompson of all people rose to head in the box but Dudek made a good save tipping over the bar.

This wasn't the only header Thompson was going to win in the area though. Blackburn won a corner on 78 minutes and Thompson was first to it again. Dudek did well diving to his left and gathered at the second attempt.

Five minutes later though and Dudek was helpless to prevent the inevitable third. Again it was Johnson who cut inside O'Donnell on the right and fired inside the left post from 16 yards.

The score didn't flatter Blackburn. In fact it flattered Liverpool. Blackburn could have scored a few more in the dying minutes. This was an abject performance from a team that has looked very good for most of this season. Of the outfield players Mannix was the oldest and he's only just turned twenty. These are a good bunch of kids and they may well learn more from a horrible defeat like this than they will from any other kind of game.

Man of the Match: I'll give it to Hobbs. He lacked support in the middle but he is growing in confidence. He was vocal tonight and though not particularly eye catching he was very assured and didn't give possession away. Smith played well at left back and Roque was also steady. A mention must go to Tunnicliffe who was excellent for a 16 year old making his debut.

Liverpool Team: Dudek, Antwi (Tunnicliffe 45), Smith, Roque, O'Donnell, Hobbs, Barnett (Paul Barratt 70), Peltier, Calliste, Mannix, Nardiello (Conal Platt 45).

Unused Subs: Woods, Willis.

© AdamS 2005
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 12:20:38 pm by AdamS »
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Re: Reds in Reserve Liverpool 0 - 3 Blackburn
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 09:43:42 pm »
It's a very, very young side - all good learning experiences for them. So long as people don't start reading too much into reserve results with a bunch of promising but very young kids in red...

Good report again, Adam. Top stuff  :wave

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 09:49:49 pm »
The excellent David Thompson nearly ruined his night on 55 minutes. Calliste hit him with an impetuous late tackle and Thompson reacted angrily, jumping to his feet and gripping Calliste around the throat. He could easily have gone for that, but he escaped with a booking. Calliste was not so lucky, he collected a yellow for the challenge.
Thought you was going to say Calliste was sent off, saying Calliste was not so lucky but he received the same as Thompson !!

Anyway - good report again mate.

Seen the Reserves at Wigan last week, albeit with a stronger side out and was impressed.
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 09:50:24 pm »
It's a very, very young side - all good learning experiences for them. So long as people don't start reading too much into reserve results with a bunch of promising but very young kids in red...

We're doomed, doomed!

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 10:01:18 pm »
top report again. always good to hear about the rezzies, even if they did lose...

no shame in losing to a Blackburn side boasting an international level midfielder and some decent players such as Johnson (Defoe type from what I've seen of him, real livewire), who may yet make a big impact in the Premiership, and no doubt some of their usual conveyor belt of youth talent...

I'm not convinced about playing Hobbs in midfield mind, despite what Paco Herrera said about it allowing him less time on the ball and so being a sharpening process...it will mean that he gets out of the habit of playing centre back and picking up the tricks of the CB trade along the way...ho hum

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 10:02:52 pm »
I'm not convinced about playing Hobbs in midfield mind, despite what Paco Herrera said about it allowing him less time on the ball and so being a sharpening process...it will mean that he gets out of the habit of playing centre back and picking up the tricks of the CB trade along the way...ho hum
Fair point, but he has just turned 17 and he is deffo learning by playing where he is. It'll be interestiing to see where he plays in the FA Youth Cup ;)
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 10:18:36 pm »
i suppose i'm happy to hear JJ played so well...

probably too young for 2006 with Bruce, but one for the future...

but still :P

The Hangover affects the Rezzies

by

AdamS

thanks for the report :wave
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 11:00:21 pm »
AdamS..thanx for the report. Great job.

Curious though..how the heck do you keep this all straight and do your reports? Do you take notes or use a micro-recorder and talk into it with the key points?

In any event you missed your calling..:P

PS: Loved this line..
"I will refer to it as the bonsai tree formation."

Beautifull.... :wave
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 11:04:28 pm by 4pool »
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 11:06:49 pm »
AdamS..thanx for the report. Great job.

Curious though..how the heck do you keep this all straight and do your reports? Do you take notes or use a micro-recorder and talk into it with the key points?
The old fashioned note pad mate

"I will refer to it as the bonsai tree formation."

Beautifull.... :wave
I put these kind of comments in so people know I aint trying to be too serious!

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 12:33:19 am »
First time I've read one of your reports Adam..Well done lad.. ;)

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 12:34:49 am »
First time I've read one of your reports Adam
Twat :no

;D ;)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 12:37:55 am »
Twat :no

;D ;)
Be like that then.. :sad..

That's the last compliment you'll get off me you c*nt..

;)

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 12:40:10 am »
 ;D off to bed!

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 12:43:50 am »
Cheers for the report. :wave  Always good to read what's going on.

Bonsai tree formation? When that becomes a popular expression, I'll remember where I read it first.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 12:55:43 am »

yep. what he said
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
Re: Reds in Reserve: Liverpool 0 - 3 Blackburn
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 01:35:26 am »

Maybe...though maybe Blackburn supporters would say the same about their side as well, you know, and with better reason. However,  although reserve results rarely give a full indication as to the way things are heading, their form has been almost as patchy as the first teams presently, though there are some worth keeping our eye on all the same

Been one of those weeks, sadly :(

Still, interesting report, good stuff [despite the result]

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 03:19:08 am »
Rizla - the reserve results have been excellent, not patchy. And for such a ridiculously young team at this level they have been exceptional.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 03:23:29 am »
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 06:53:56 am »
Best opening paragraph to an article I've read in a long time, perhaps the title should have been Reds in Reverse ;D

ah well, cheers Adam
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2005, 07:22:32 am »
I love reading these reserve reports. The games sound better than the first team's!
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2005, 09:28:00 am »
Andy Liverweb has done a rough calculation and works out the average age of all outfield players (including subs who came on) to be approximately 18.2!

Very very young!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 09:49:48 am by AdamS »

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2005, 10:15:16 am »
Hi,

Another entertaining read. Thanks :)

Andy Liverweb has done a rough calculation and works out the average age of all outfield players (including subs who came on) to be approximately 18.2!

Very very young!

That is very young.

And 2 of our best ressies are injured too. Barra and Hammill

:)
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Dickie Sam Cratchet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • A boy from the Mersey
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2005, 11:34:12 am »
Rizla - the reserve results have been excellent, not patchy. And for such a ridiculously young team at this level they have been exceptional.

Any ideas why the reserve team [or at least this one] are aged so young, it seems a bit strange doesn't it?