Author Topic: The Ideal Game  (Read 440 times)

Offline Jokerfish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Nothing to see here move along now.
The Ideal Game
« on: August 8, 2011, 10:33:09 am »
If you could design an ideal game, what would you go for ?

As a mature gamer (35) I find myself struggling to get into a lot of the new titles, perhaps it's because eventually you mature or are too busy for games. 

I keep having these thoughts on what would bring back that feeling of excitement, lying in bed at midnight while the wife is asleep, working out how you can quietly slip downstairs and play for an hour or four without waking her up.

I haven't had that feeling since Fallout 3, maybe my ideal game is out there but I suppose it is kind of Fallout 3 meets Resident Evil meets sthe walking dead.

Anyway here's the basics of it, if there is a game out there like this, let me know, also feel free to share your own.

Intro
Its a usual Saturday morning, you're having breakfast with your wife & 2 kids (boy & a girl) radio is on in the background, a picture of perfect suburban family life, the wife is taking the kids to see her family, in the city about a 30 minute drive away.  As you're a bit hungover and tired you decide to have a lazy morning reading a book, next thing you know you've dozed off. 

You awake an hour or two later (maybe longer) and turn the tv on, no channels seem to be working, eventually you find a news channel reporting on an event that has caused widespread devastation and panic with many deaths, before the report continues the power goes off.  You panic, try phoning the wife, the police, anyone but nothing, just no network coverage.

This is where the game starts and you take control of your character.  You are then presented with options to go next door, drive to your local area, etc, but in the early stages you can't just start exploring, that all comes later.  The game is all about finding out what is happening and trying to locate your family.  Some of your neighbours and people in the street have mysteriously died and some seem to have mutated and are trying to kill you, not in a zombie way though.

Eventually after exploring your local area you realise that each town/city have had road blocks put in place some police/people are alive but wearing gas masks, the game develops into finding your way to some weapons, then finding a way out of town and into the big city.

The map would be huge and you'd have certain fallout 3 elements such as needing to eat & rest to replenish your health points, also choosing clothing etc.   Instead of going through the whole story, you eventually find out what caused the disaster after meeting various people at parts of the story, you find out that certain people and your family have been taken to another country and you have to get there to save them.  Lots of different twists and turns along the way, vehicle use a la GTA and guns guns guns. 

I won't spoil the ending, but its pretty epic and involves meeting world leaders on a space station !!

« Last Edit: August 8, 2011, 10:36:05 am by Jokerfish »

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
Re: The Ideal Game
« Reply #1 on: August 8, 2011, 01:42:22 pm »
Hmmm. That wouldn't be my cup of tea I'm afraid. I'm sure people who love those type of games would lap it up though. I don't see any new concepts in there, which is my personal preference to be honest.

My ideal game would have to offer something I hadn't seen before. Whether it be gameplay, graphics, plot or whatever. GTA 3 and its 3D sandbox was phenomenal when I first played it. Metal Gear Solid and stealth. Half-life and its story and gameplay. Portal and the way it made you look at a 3D environment in a whole new way. Hell, even Silent Hill and that white noise 'something's coming' radio you carried that creeped the bejeesus out of me when I started playing it. I'm hoping for the same level of 'wow, why haven't they done this before?' when I get round to playing LA Noire.

I'd love to make a game that involves time travel/paradoxes. Like the Butterfly Effect sort of thing. You have the ability to change decisions in your life by some plot device, and the game will reconfigure itself around that new decision in order to progress in the game. You'd have an end goal, obviously, to do with changing the character's future eg saving your wife/kids but at a potential cost to yourself and others. Moral decisions and 4D gameplay. Can only remember seeing that done in Shadow Of Memories on the PS2. Which didn't sell very well, so I'm probably on me own.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On