Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool Manager (ours to keep - or at least till 2018)  (Read 958577 times)

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
Garry Monk gives his views on former managers’ training methods
February 4, 2014

Following Swansea City’s decision to sack manager Michael Laudrup and install defender Garry Monk as head coach, we thought we’d share the former skipper’s thoughts on Brendan Rodgers and Roberto Martinez’s training methods during their time at the club – courtesy of the Guardian.

Monk has high praise for both managers as he compared their training methods ahead of the Merseyside derby, in which Rodgers came out on top with a thumping 4-0 win against Martinez’s Everton.
‘both very aggressive’

“Roberto and Brendan are both very aggressive in their work. What I mean by that is they’ve got a vision of what they want and they put that across in a very forthright way, and when it’s obvious that they believe in it so passionately, it rubs off on the players. They both want a passing and possession game but probably with different spins on it.”

‘Martinez never really worked on set pieces’

“Roberto cared more about our tactical game being on point rather than the opposition. For instance, we never really worked on set pieces, which we probably should have done. Of course that might well be different with him in the Premier League. It was very attack-minded with Roberto, which was good, but defensively we were probably a little bit too open at times, especially when we went into the Championship. But I think it was Roberto’s belief that if we could impose ourselves on the opposition, we would win more games than we would lose.”

‘Rodgers took us beyond the levels we had been at before’

“With Brendan, the higher level we were playing and the better we were getting as a team, the more he tailored tactics to the individual sides that we were up against – that was especially the case in the Premier League. Brendan took us mentally, physically and tactically beyond the levels we had been at before.”

Training – “very hands on”

“Roberto was always on the training field along with Graeme Jones, his assistant. And Brendan was the same, very hands on with the coaching and getting points across all through the week. They put on different sessions but they had the same philosophy: retain the ball. Graeme had a big influence with Roberto, whereby he designed a lot of the training sessions.”

“Method behind everything we did”

“with Roberto and Brendan there was method behind everything we did. On a normal training session, you would touch a ball 200-300 times. In the training sessions they designed, you were getting 600-700 touches of the ball. The more touches you had of the ball, the more comfortable you became with it.”

“It was about gearing as much as possible on the training field to similar situations on the pitch, where you might play in tight areas. The one thing they both realised as well – and I think this is really important – was that they had players that wanted to do what they were asking them to do. It was a good environment to go and work in.”

Key element – honesty

“Roberto knew how we worked and he knew us on a personal level as well. He was always easy to get on with. Paulo Sousa came in for a season in between and had a very different approach, so when Brendan took over it was like a breath of fresh air. He called me to the stadium on the day he was unveiled as manager and said: “You’re going to be my captain and that won’t change.”

“I’d never met him before but I knew from the first moment I spoke to him that he was going to be good for us. It was still difficult for me under him at times – when we got in the Premier League I was no longer first choice. But the way he spoke to me and treated me – I didn’t agree with him on certain things but I respected him because he was honest, and that’s the key element for me.”

Monk discussed life after playing at Rodgers’ house

“Towards the end of the last year with Brendan, I was talking to him about coaching, because of my age, and he invited me around to his house a few times to discuss life after playing. But I think he was like that with a lot of the lads. He was brilliant with us. He would go out of his way to help and not just because he felt it was going to help him with managing; he genuinely cared about what was going on in your life.”

‘Not ranters or ravers’

“They’re not ranters or ravers, they’re not going to throw tea-cups but you know when they’re not happy. With Roberto, you could tell because he would turn stern and you could see the anger in his face, even though he wouldn’t convey it by shouting.”

“With Brendan, in training he would whistle to stop the session and then look at you. It was just a look. He would stare at you and wait an extra couple of seconds so that it was uncomfortable. If he felt that a player wasn’t pulling his weight or wasn’t giving his all, he wouldn’t hesitate to single him out. But he did it in a way where he didn’t alienate the player. He would do it so that the player knew he wasn’t just letting down himself, he was letting down the whole group, so there would a positive reaction from that player.”

http://www.comeonyouswans.com/2014/02/04/garry-monk-gives-views-former-managers-training-methods/

Some nice insight into Rodgers as a manager and coach from his former skipper and newly appointed Swansea head coach, Gary Monk.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 03:35:59 pm by Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆ »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool Manager
« Reply #1 on: February 5, 2014, 02:58:20 pm »
It's funny, though, that Monk's description of Martinez could easily be some posters descriptions of Rodgers early last season:

"No work on set pieces"

"Not worrying about the opposition enough"

"Too open at the back"

:D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 5, 2014, 03:12:19 pm »
That's a great read.  Both managers are going to win a fair number of trophies I think. Martinez may need to move onto another club, but he is clearly one of the starts in this generation.  As for Rodgers, the more I read about him, the more I love him.  He's going to be one of the best managers and I just hope he can achieve it all with us!

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 5, 2014, 03:19:11 pm »
I always liked the two of them and was happy to have Martinez linked with us at the time but wasn't knowledgeable enough about them to know who was the better manager but Rodgers has surprised me in terms of how he keeps his principals but is always willing to adapt his tactics, probably a bit too much for some ;D When Martinez signed for Everton I argued with a few blue mates he'd be a good manger for them but if what Monk is saying is right we got the right one.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: February 5, 2014, 03:20:23 pm »
I do love our Brendan. Reassuring to see that he is liked and respected within the game.

I am not sure he is quite there tactically, but that is fair enough given his age. I am sure he will improve in this area. Learning under Mourinho (even if he is a despicable twat) means he has seen what a top tactician is like first hand and that should be an advantage as he matures.

I am a big fan of Bobby Brown Shoes too to be honest. I was gutted Everton got him as I was hoping they would get another turgid anti-football guy like Moyes. I reckon we made the right choice with Brendan though.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #5 on: February 5, 2014, 03:28:56 pm »
There have been some good games this season and it seems him efforts are bearing fruit. I suppose he also had to alter his methods a wee bit with the top players we had.

From the review it is evident Brendan is very committed and determined to achieve his goals, this can only bode well for us, and long may it continue.
Doubters to Believers

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 5, 2014, 03:45:06 pm »
I think we have the better of the two if the following is true: it seems to me you have to put your overarching philosophy into the context of the challenges each opposing side presents. Brendan does that. So we can give up the ball to win 4-0 at home to Everton, or we can dominate possession to beat Fulham, Norwich, Hull etc.. I do believe the overarching philosophy has to be positive, attacking and entertaining but sometimes you have to adjust.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #7 on: February 5, 2014, 04:04:06 pm »
This morning I woke up with a smile on my face, because Brendan Rodgers IS the manager of Liverpool FC!
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #8 on: February 5, 2014, 04:52:39 pm »
I think both are great managers and its good to read a little insight as to their methods in training.

Like Dave whelen said "Martinez will go onto manage a big club one day" And Whelen is right, he will.... ;D
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 8, 2014, 02:43:01 pm »
:lmao

Offline fonzielfc

• Anny Roader
  • Red is the colour
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: February 8, 2014, 02:46:33 pm »
Loved it when Brendan was celebrating the goal in front of Wenger and Wenger was shaking his head  ;D

Does anyone have a gif of that?
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared
to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

- Bill Shankly

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #11 on: February 8, 2014, 02:49:13 pm »
Not convinced. Likes a soundbite and has a portrait of himself in his own living room. Think that speaks volumes about the level of manager he is.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 8, 2014, 02:49:43 pm »
Get him that contract extension asap!!!

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #13 on: February 8, 2014, 02:50:27 pm »
I'd prefer a safe pair of hands, someone like O'Neill.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 8, 2014, 02:50:32 pm »
Initials over the dotted line please

Offline brokenboner

• Main Stander
  • no
« Reply #15 on: February 8, 2014, 02:50:53 pm »
Could we ask for a better manager? In terms of what he's bringing to the club at the moment, and the very long potential future he has ahead of him with us..

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 8, 2014, 02:50:59 pm »
Shankly and Paisley rolled into one
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline 00jebus

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: February 8, 2014, 02:52:42 pm »
Shankly and Paisley rolled into one

...lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

He does however have the potential to grow to that level of greatness.

Offline Spraynard Kruger

• Wholeheartedly supports the cause but would stay seated in a walk-out protest cos, you know, it's so expensive to get to the game, so doesn't wholeheartedly support after all and misses the point completely. All in one sentence. Wow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 8, 2014, 02:52:51 pm »
If only he could get results against top sides, though
"Sometimes you have to just chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is." - Daniel Sturridge

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #19 on: February 8, 2014, 02:53:02 pm »
Could we ask for a better manager? In terms of what he's bringing to the club at the moment, and the very long potential future he has ahead of him with us..

The answer is no.  Just a perfect fit for us.  Us down to a tee.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #20 on: February 8, 2014, 02:53:40 pm »
Blimey. I do like him.

Offline Nosss

• Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: February 8, 2014, 02:53:43 pm »
Contract. Now.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 8, 2014, 02:53:52 pm »
I was shaking after that 20mins. The job this fella is doing is fucking crazily good.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 8, 2014, 02:54:58 pm »
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 8, 2014, 02:55:25 pm »
Not convinced. Likes a soundbite and has a portrait of himself in his own living room. Think that speaks volumes about the level of manager he is.
A Fraud and a PR man, he's reading from a script. Some shameful bad eggs out there

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #25 on: February 8, 2014, 02:56:09 pm »

;D

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #26 on: February 8, 2014, 02:57:16 pm »
Only really noticed it today, but he's a very good looking man.

Offline G8S7

• Legacy Fan
  • At the end of the storm There's a golden sky
« Reply #27 on: February 8, 2014, 02:57:53 pm »
No excuse if we don't win the leauge this season.  ::)

Offline brokenboner

• Main Stander
  • no
« Reply #28 on: February 8, 2014, 02:58:47 pm »

It's the accent  ;)

Offline Mamadou

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 8, 2014, 02:59:02 pm »

he's probably great technician in bed too :P

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 8, 2014, 03:00:07 pm »
This dudes a wizard.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #31 on: February 8, 2014, 03:07:13 pm »
To think we could have had Laudrup as manager  :(
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Mamadou

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 8, 2014, 03:08:56 pm »
...lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

He does however have the potential to grow to that level of greatness.

i like exaggerating when i'm happy

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #33 on: February 8, 2014, 03:09:18 pm »
Doing a job and I would like him to continue. :thumbup
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 8, 2014, 03:10:37 pm »
Legend in the making!

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool will always be my home.
« Reply #35 on: February 8, 2014, 03:11:03 pm »
Klopp of PL  :)
There is only one family, it is the Liverpool family.

Offline redalways

• ...so needs a pair of clean knickers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 8, 2014, 03:11:45 pm »
I'd prefer a safe pair of hands, someone like O'Neill.
;D or Steve Bruce

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 8, 2014, 03:11:46 pm »

Needs to be Humble like David Moyes or Mr. Ferguson or he will go no where.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool Manager
« Reply #38 on: February 8, 2014, 03:11:53 pm »

2nd sexiest manager in the league after Moyes!

Offline _Lfc_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *YNWA*
« Reply #39 on: February 8, 2014, 03:12:37 pm »
Boss.