Author Topic: Martin Skrtel  (Read 235111 times)

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
Re: Skrtel signs new contract
« Reply #200 on: August 26, 2012, 07:12:22 pm »
Was absolutely brilliant today, one mistake and unfortunately that cost a victory, but overall a brilliant game from him.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: August 26, 2012, 07:13:39 pm »
makes a good counterpoint but he's still wrong?......turn it in lad...stop digging for contrary shit

No he's not wrong.  He's explaining why the player was put under pressure and that pressure is what led to the mistake.  He's not about to blame skrtel as he wants him to have faith in this system and keep at it until it works.  The last thing he wants is for Skrtel to lose confidence and just hoof it from now on.

Bottom line is if a midfielder showed for the ball the situation would never have happened.   It did happen and it was a fucking atrocious decision to play it back without looking.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 07:15:53 pm by Cid »

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: August 26, 2012, 07:18:06 pm »
Just wondering, whether this is because Skrtel hasn't really played on the left before. I mean even Carra took the left side of defence when he played with Skrtel didn't he. Maybe, he never really had that blind spot tested before in a game or practice. Hopefully with DAgger coming back, this shouldn't happen anymore.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline St Skrtel

• Kopite
  • Skrtel doesn't smile?
« Reply #203 on: August 26, 2012, 07:19:17 pm »
It's the new system that affected him for that moment. Could have blindly put the ball into the sky but I believe he was told not to do so. I trust he and other defenders will learn from it and grow to suit the system day by day.

Having said that, it is undeniable for the lack of concentration. He does look a lot better with a fit Agger next to him. Better next to Coates than to Carra. Let's not forget his teammates should be blamed too for not showing up, where was the mentioned "every player should provide an option for a pass"?

Time will improve all the mistakes that costed us 4 goals so far, if not 5.

Offline memoriesgone

• Anny Roader
« Reply #204 on: August 26, 2012, 07:21:10 pm »
Just wondering, whether this is because Skrtel hasn't really played on the left before. I mean even Carra took the left side of defence when he played with Skrtel didn't he. Maybe, he never really had that blind spot tested before in a game or practice. Hopefully with DAgger coming back, this shouldn't happen anymore.
Pretty sure he played on the left with Carra ... just at the start of last season. I can't back it up though.

I thought we were good defensively for the most part except those two mistakes.

Offline Captain Relief

• Gerrard Handler
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #205 on: August 26, 2012, 07:21:40 pm »
Did well today despite the mistake.

Can't put the mistake all on him either in my opinion. Its a new system we are still trying to adapt to, there needs to be constant movement and that wasn't present when the pass happened. He looked up and there were no options so he was forced to turn back. It was still a massive mistake but at least he tried to stick to his guns, embrace the philosophy and rather than take the easy way out and just hoof it he tried to keep the team in possession of the ball. Yes it lead to their equaliser but these things will happen as we try to adapt to the new system.

No need to bash him today and act asif he isn't an outstanding defender, one mistake, he will learn from it as will the rest of the team.
This.
"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."
—Bill Shankly about the 'This is Anfield' plaque

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #206 on: August 26, 2012, 07:24:30 pm »
makes a good counterpoint but he's still wrong?......turn it in lad...stop digging for contrary shit

No, Brendan was spot on (on both accounts) . If Shelvey or Sterling had come short on Skrtels right and Enrique just dropped back behind the touchline we could have created a triangle to play out of.

It will come with time and anyway I thought Skrtel was a monster for 93minutes bar that one minute that the mistake was made.

He'll learn, they all will.

« Reply #207 on: August 26, 2012, 07:26:32 pm »
I think we will see these sort of errors in the early stages but we need to persevere if we are serious about being a passing team we need to learn from these mistakes and do things better. Felt bad for Skrtel and IMO if Suarez had played with his head up today we would have been out of sight a long time ago

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: August 26, 2012, 07:57:47 pm »
If Shelvey or Sterling had come short on Skrtels right and Enrique just dropped back behind the touchline we could have created a triangle to play out of.

It will come with time and anyway I thought Skrtel was a monster for 93minutes bar that one minute that the mistake was made.

Spot on!
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline mysterio_86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: August 26, 2012, 08:13:13 pm »
No, Brendan was spot on (on both accounts) . If Shelvey or Sterling had come short on Skrtels right and Enrique just dropped back behind the touchline we could have created a triangle to play out of.

One of the most passionate footballer along with Suarez who give their guts for glory ! Absolute love this guy
Sebastion Coates, Suso, Sterling, Shelvey, Samed Yesil, SinclairSama, Smichael Ngoo, Sryan McLaughlin, Sjordan Ibe, - The S Law

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: August 26, 2012, 08:17:38 pm »
Has anyone mentioned Skrtel the right footer playing left centreback? If that is agger he plays the ball up the line to Johnson no problem, but he hesitates to play that ball as its not the natural one for a right footer, whose inclination from that position is to go inside.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #211 on: August 26, 2012, 08:18:37 pm »
Has anyone mentioned Skrtel the right footer playing left centreback? If that is agger he plays the ball up the line to Johnson no problem, but he hesitates to play that ball as its not the natural one for a right footer, whose inclination from that position is to go inside.

He used to play left sided centre back for Zenit.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #212 on: August 26, 2012, 09:23:24 pm »
One word for that header: boom!

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #213 on: August 26, 2012, 09:26:52 pm »

I think that had something to do with it too. I don't recall ever seeing him play left before.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: August 26, 2012, 09:31:26 pm »

Perhaps true, but it was still a bad mistake by Skrtel. Happens to the best. We've seen Gerrard make similar mistakes in the past. Skrtel will bounce back.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: August 26, 2012, 09:37:22 pm »
Perhaps true, but it was still a bad mistake by Skrtel. Happens to the best. We've seen Gerrard make similar mistakes in the past. Skrtel will bounce back.

It definitely was, but at the same time there's no perhaps.

Its the only way the system can actually work. Without the correct movement this style of football cannot be played effectively. I've seen some of our fans (and opposition fans) claiming he should have just kicked it out for a throw, but again this is just turning over possession, just in a different way. Obviously i would have preferred him not to have made that pass but if people are showing for him then THAT pass doesn't ever even come into his mind.

Its something our players will learn to adapt to in time and even though this mistake cost us largely today it will teach many of our players a lesson and i expect Rodgers will show it to the players to highlight what went wrong and how.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #216 on: August 26, 2012, 09:40:39 pm »
he was immense today. Just one mistake, but surely we can forgive him that?

Offline TheBazz

• tardzz keepz deleting my poztzzzzzz! Blazzphemy! Blazzpheryou! Blazzphereverybody on the forumzzzzzz!
  • Kopite
  • It's the Bazz!
« Reply #217 on: August 26, 2012, 09:41:34 pm »
Guys its the first game under BR at home in the PL. Give it a rest, he messed up, we know! Be glad it was just the result to a draw, it could of been against united and it could of cost us a point. It's early days and even with that mistake Skrtel wasnt having a bad day at all. You can blame him for giving a goal away but remember who got us the first goal at all.
@KevinHenshaw1 (not the professional wakeboarder).

Offline BFM

• Legacy Fan
  • Compulsive hyperbolic exaggerator
« Reply #218 on: August 26, 2012, 09:48:12 pm »
He played very, very well today. The misplaced pass will divert attention away from what was otherwise a standout performance
If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: August 26, 2012, 09:53:26 pm »
He used to play left sided centre back for Zenit.

Yeah, almost six seasons ago.

He messed up but to suggest he's 'struggling' with the system is absurd. It's been 2 games and he's made mistakes but his overall play has been absolutely brilliant. He was fantastic tonight. The more we play with this system, the easier it'll be for the players to play out of situations in which he was today.

Not worried about his performances at all.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: August 26, 2012, 10:04:52 pm »
he was immense today. Just one mistake, but surely we can forgive him that?

We all do forgive it. Another way to look at it is this is a game we'd have lost if he wasn't playing. Class defender.

Offline mersey pirate

• Main Stander
« Reply #221 on: August 26, 2012, 10:37:53 pm »
... Skrtel will bounce back.
Definitely! And I don't think anyone was angrier then himself. There was a shot of him after the final whistle, that showed him saying something to himself, probably cursing. I'm sure he's even more determined the next game. Also that reminded me that at half time he, Kelly and Johnson walked off the pitch with arms around each other, discussing some elements of the game, I really enjoyed that for some reason.
The captain is fantastic.

Offline Crixus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #222 on: August 26, 2012, 11:25:15 pm »
Brilliant today. But that mistake was horrible. As soon as he got closed down i knew that was gonna happen. But he'll learn from it.

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: August 27, 2012, 02:19:26 am »
Was absolutely brilliant today, one mistake and unfortunately that cost a victory, but overall a brilliant game from him.

Hmm, isn't that a little bit like saying that apart from the arrow through the eye, King harold had a good battle of hastings? Surely for a centre half giving the ball to one of the most dangerous strikers in the world 25 yards from goal, when your team is about to rack up a potentially season changing victory has to count as a total disaster? Then throw on top of that getting done by shane long twice last saturday, leading to agger to get sent off, and conceding two penalties has to count as a complete disaster.

The thing is that all three of these horrendous mistakes all come from the same thing, a lack of awareness and concentration. And it's not the first time either. He's a great defender in many ways, but Dawdling on the ball, and getting robbed in your own penalty area, or getting knocked over like a skittle on the halfway line simply aren't good enough from a player who is supposed to be a corner stone of our team, one of our top earners. We are relying on him to be the rock we can build our team on. He's 27 years old, he's going into his fifth season, he is supposed to be the new sami hyypia of our team. And sami may have been as mobile as a tree, but he was never caught once on the the ball, and rarely done for pace, because he was always alert and aware.

You simply can't put that mistake today down to not being familiar with the system. You can't just roll the ball slowly back through an incredibly dangerous area when you don't know who is lurking there. Sometimes, you have to put your foot through the ball. this is one of the basics of defending. He needs to really stop making such fundamental errors. We may be playing a new system, but that doesn't mean that you have all the time in the world in your own penalty area. One area that he also needs to work on throughout the season, is that he needs to have a better idea of where his partner is. He sometimes finds it difficult to keep the defensive line. Sometimes he can be found standing three yards in front of his back four, Leaving a big space behind him, and exposing Glenn johnson to a diagonal run. or sometimes he stands three yards behind the rest of his back four playing people on side. Now this is something that can be coached out of him, but the more recent type of mistake is simply down to a lack of attention or complacency. I don't know if that can be coached, it's either something you do yourself of you don't.

Great goal though, it's nice to finally see us score a goal from a corner. We've really become very poor at scoring that kind of goal, and we need steady improvements in every area of our game in order to climb the ladder again. But it's important to remember that a goal from a defender is really just a bonus. Their bread and butter is the clean sheet, and Martin is really going to have to improve, because that mistake was a horrendous blight on what could have been a truly fantastic day in so many other respects.

Offline jimmyjr86

• Legacy Fan
  • Up on a hill, here's where we begin...
« Reply #224 on: August 27, 2012, 02:22:37 am »
Would have probably got away it but Dzeko clipped his ankles as he turned, so was off balance and underhit the pass. Should have taken the extra touch to set himself or even gone down.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #225 on: August 27, 2012, 02:24:53 am »
Brilliant today. But that mistake was horrible. As soon as he got closed down i knew that was gonna happen. But he'll learn from it.

Agree. It's happened to a few of our players in the past. Gerrard v Arsenal back in 2006 was a notable one.

Chalk it off and move on. It didn't effect his performance for the rest of the game, which was good.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: August 27, 2012, 02:26:16 am »
Was shouting at the screen:  "DO DO IT! DONT BACK PASS!"   :(
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Strummer

• Boys Pen
  • The Future is Unwritten
« Reply #227 on: August 27, 2012, 02:35:30 am »
that look of pure joy on his face when he scored today says it all for me
martin skrtels liverpool through and through

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: August 27, 2012, 02:55:36 am »
when your team is about to rack up a potentially season changing victory has to count as a total disaster?

A nice long post that contains this in the first few lines. A season changing victory? We've had two games.

Offline rushie9

• Kopite
  • FAN FAN
« Reply #229 on: August 27, 2012, 03:00:18 am »
sure he played on left with carra.... but he surely too is not a nat. left foot player like Agger... so iat the game situation like last nite, he could only force pushed to the left .. and that what concluded the mistake ..
FAN= with one eye open to see all the goodies of a player, with the other eye and ear shut....

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: August 27, 2012, 03:07:41 am »
A nice long post that contains this in the first few lines. A season changing victory? We've had two games.

Beating man city would have entirely changed the course of our season, and given BR huge credit to help him through the tough days that are coming. to shoot ourselves in the foot like that is truly maddening. Our next three games are Arsenal (h) Sunderland (a) and man utd (h) we need to take our successes where we can.

Offline Wetsox

• Kemlynite
« Reply #231 on: August 27, 2012, 03:21:11 am »
It was a once-in-a-season, if not less, mistake. no need to discuss it, skrtel was obviously great the whole game and will continue to be all season.

Offline RedHopper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: August 27, 2012, 09:33:12 am »
well I'd be a little more confident in going along with that if he hadn't made two horrendous mistakes in his previous game. I hope we're not seeing a player getting  complacent after signing a new contract. That's not how it's supposed to work at all.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #233 on: August 27, 2012, 09:40:35 am »
Played out of his skin until that mistake, still have massive confidence in him and the rest of the defence though.

Offline John Zac

• Anny Roader
« Reply #234 on: August 27, 2012, 11:16:39 am »
Defensively he is a monster. He just needs time to adapt to the new system. Towards the end of the season I am sure  Skrtel will be a more complete player.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: August 27, 2012, 11:53:30 am »
Feel sorry for him. He knows he fucked up - he'll come back stronger after this.
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #236 on: August 27, 2012, 12:02:31 pm »
Defenders have by far the biggest adjustment to make in the new system. Not surprising that there have been hiccups over the first two matches of the season.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #237 on: August 27, 2012, 04:19:12 pm »
I think a season or two ago he wouldn't have made that back pass, he would have hit it forward. It is getting drummed into their heads to try and keep hold of the ball as much as they can (even though at times he still hoofed it into touch when he could have tried for a pass). So, he decided to go back and allow us to keep hold of the ball. It was a 'school boy' error. He should have glanced up first at least.
Unfortunately the centre midfielder didn't cover for him. Maybe if Lucas was on the field, he would have?
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline RedHopper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: August 27, 2012, 04:28:40 pm »
There is no system on earth that would lead you into playing a blind backpass to the keeper. that was simply a horrendous individual error, and rodgers is just trying to protect his player when he says that the easy thing to do would have been to hoof it down the field. It is always better to hoof the ball down the field rather than play a blind backpass. the purpose of a passing game is to reduce the number of times you have to do that by providing the defender with more options. but if push comes to shove they can't score from row z. Sometimes it is simply the right thing to do.

Offline redhot-robbie

• Kopite
  • and could he play!
« Reply #239 on: August 27, 2012, 04:35:08 pm »
It was an error, he tried to be cocky and got caught. 

He is still a fantastic defender and to all those calling City Radio and other phone in saying he is a liability and just a carthorse  :wanker

"What you achieve in life, echoes in eternity"