Author Topic: Spurs vs Liverpool 2-1 Post Match Reaction  (Read 68970 times)

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Spurs vs Liverpool 2-1 Post Match Reaction
« Reply #480 on: August 16, 2009, 08:33:15 pm »
Beaten by a better team on the day... Also looked like we just werent at the races for the entire 1st half. Bad passing, bad luck with clashes, but good saves by Reina and woeful finishing by Keane kept the score low. Damn unlucky not to get a 2nd pen for the foul on Voronin, but that is how it goes with refs sometimes.

Players who did ok for me today were...
Insua... Did a ok job and looked comfortable on the ball. Apart from losing possession a couple of times whilst going forward, he was very safe imo.
Kuyt again showed why he is always in the starting 11...Battled well, and won the ball back for his team on numerous occasions.
Yossi... Was not on for long, but when he did come one, he was comfortable on the ball and looked the only one who could break the Spurs back line.
Reina... Outstanding saves.

What annoyed me most was the fucking pundits going on about Alonso... ALL THE FUCKIN TIME. He is gone... End of.

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #481 on: August 16, 2009, 08:33:34 pm »
Thats what happens when the manager has to work with his hands tied behind his back in the transfer market.

Give Rafa the funds he needs you pair of skint cowboy twats!
Justice for the 96.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #482 on: August 16, 2009, 08:34:10 pm »
It's not about 'dropping Lucas'. He's not the culprit, he's a player upon whom a huge amount of responsibility at expectation has been lumped upon, and who is arguable playing a role not best suited to him. He didn't play particularly badly, but he doesn't have the same drive, or the ability to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

At this time it's more about using Gerrard's talent and versatility to benefit the team. Yossi is a clever player who can play behind Torres, or on the right of a 4-4-2 with Kuyt pushed higher up (not my favoured option though).

I wouldn't necessarily drop Lucas, I just wish Rafa would consider taking Lucas off for an attacking player and letting Gerrard/Benayoun play in that position when we need goals.

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #483 on: August 16, 2009, 08:34:29 pm »
Valid points though I think. It doesn't matter how good the front 2 are if they're going to be so isolated for most of the match.

Our best football came when Gerrard dropped deeper and Yossi was the one in the support role for the striker. We actually started keeping the ball pretty well in the middle and final thirds.

Our best football came due the ability of Yossi not because Gerrard dropped back to midfield. In fact Gerrard gave the ball away several times and generally looked unsure and slow in possession. I think it is knee jerk to suggest such a significant change after one game. The simpler alternative would be to replace Babel with Yossi.

Offline RaveDave

• Kopite
« Reply #484 on: August 16, 2009, 08:34:45 pm »
All the hating on Lucas is a disgrace, he was far from being the worst player on the pitch today. Babel was awful as usual, how many chances does he need to show he has the hunger and talent to succeed. Carra had a nightmare, both him and Skrtel need to stop playing hoofball, we play far better when we pass and move, hoofing the ball up to Torres is a waste of time.

Positives Reina, Johnson & Benayoun.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #485 on: August 16, 2009, 08:35:33 pm »
How long is Reira out for?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline paranoidmike

• They're watching me, I swear.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #486 on: August 16, 2009, 08:35:36 pm »
to use a tired but very relevant cliché it's a

not a sprint!

looks like we got caught with our snickers down today.

Offline otottottffn

• Main Stander
« Reply #487 on: August 16, 2009, 08:36:20 pm »
Two points:

1) The best team won

2) We WILL get better
Rush scored one, Rush scored two, Rush scored three and Rush scored four.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: August 16, 2009, 08:36:36 pm »
For the title challenge, I think we'll need 25+ wins. Last season we reached 25 at the last game of the season. So yes, it's a very long race. It's never good to lose, but let's focus on the task ahead, rather than the pitfalls.

Previous years, all too many have been prepared to write our chances off after 5-6 games. Even last year, being top of the league around New Year, it was the same. It was a bad start, but we'll begin to correct things in just a few days.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
« Reply #489 on: August 16, 2009, 08:36:39 pm »
It's still first game of the season though and I think we should give it a few more games before suggesting anyone be dropped, except maybe Babel... the one thing I can't stand is people who don't show any hunger.
We should have a little faith in Lucas. He played well in important games last season, so he will most likely do the same this year.

Babel I agree with. We should start with Benayoun instead. He's the best option with Gerrard, Kuyt and Torres. At least at the moment (and ever since January).

agree with this. maybe would be the fire to light up the lad. andriy is miles behind ryan in terms of talent but when he came on he was arsed at the least. half of his tackles didn't come off but he was getting stuck in there. plus the peno.
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: August 16, 2009, 08:37:01 pm »
We should have a little faith in Lucas. He played well in important games last season, so he will most likely do the same this year.

Babel I agree with. We should start with Benayoun instead. He's the best option with Gerrard, Kuyt and Torres. At least at the moment (and ever since January).
Totally agree. I think we should give Lucas a break. He has had a very good pre-season, and had a 50-50 day, just like most of the 11 players on the day. What he doesnt need is something to knock his confidence so soon. He wasnt brilliant and he wasnt shit. No one should single him out for critisism...he is very important to us this season.

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: August 16, 2009, 08:37:06 pm »
It's not about 'dropping Lucas'. He's not the culprit, he's a player upon whom a huge amount of responsibility at expectation has been lumped upon, and who is arguable playing a role not best suited to him. He didn't play particularly badly, but he doesn't have the same drive, or the ability to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

At this time it's more about using Gerrard's talent and versatility to benefit the team. Yossi is a clever player who can play behind Torres, or on the right of a 4-4-2 with Kuyt pushed higher up (not my favoured option though).

I wouldn't necessarily drop Lucas, I just wish Rafa would consider taking Lucas off for an attacking player and letting Gerrard/Benayoun play in that position when we need goals.

But surely Gerrard is at his most dangerous in regards to goals when he was the freedom to play in the final third. I'd rather see Yossi and Gerrard causing havoc in the final third to be honest and Lucas' forward passing is pretty perceptive. He just needs to step up and show for it a bit more especially where our CB's are concerned.

I can't believe this argument has reared it's head again!

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #492 on: August 16, 2009, 08:37:55 pm »
Two points:

1) The best team won

2) We WILL get better

there is a third, we should have had a penalty and drawn the game.

there is a fourth, I watched the Man Utd match and there were many decisions that didn't go in their favour... Rafa's rant is a slow burner.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Notayesman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: August 16, 2009, 08:38:09 pm »
All the hating on Lucas is a disgrace, he was far from being the worst player on the pitch today. Babel was awful as usual, how many chances does he need to show he has the hunger and talent to succeed. Carra had a nightmare, both him and Skrtel need to stop playing hoofball, we play far better when we pass and move, hoofing the ball up to Torres is a waste of time.

Positives Reina, Johnson & Benayoun.

Exactly, seems like its just people venting about Alonso and Lucas is the easy target. I don't think he was the problem today, certainly no more than Masch or the attacking 4.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: August 16, 2009, 08:39:32 pm »
We seem to alway look rubbish at the start of every season under Rafa. Rafa needs to take a look at his pre season preperation.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #495 on: August 16, 2009, 08:40:41 pm »
We seem to alway look rubbish at the start of every season under Rafa. Rafa needs to take a look at his pre season preperation.

You should tell him that.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Turkmeister

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Blah!
« Reply #496 on: August 16, 2009, 08:41:35 pm »
When xabi left, I thought rafa might put gerrard in mid-field where he can boss it and then put a player to support Torres, maybe that player is benayoun. But what we have seen is Rafa trying to keep the same formation, while using lucas who is a totally different player to stand in for Alonso, did it work for game 1, well no.

We did not deserve anything out of the game, 2nd penalty or not.
It has been a long time since I have seen our mid-field been bossed around, not till gerrard dropped back did we seem to string a bit together, only for Voronin to waste every single ball given to him!

I don't hold out much hope for us getting any more signings, which is a shame, because as commented on today, we really do have very little back up to our starting 11, just look at the bench today.

Can we win the league, we as fans have to believe!

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: August 16, 2009, 08:42:12 pm »
Lucas was shite today as per usual, he offers nothing to the team and shouldn't play again. Gerrard needs to be moved back to midfield until Aquilani is fit. Next game line up should be

Pepe

Johnson    Carra   Agger(if fit)    Insua

Gerrard              Masch

Kuyt            Yossi         Riera

Torres

Offline Southderryred

• Main Stander
  • RED AND PROUD
« Reply #498 on: August 16, 2009, 08:43:02 pm »
Go away would you.

I'm sure a town, somewhere in south derry is missing a person that I find irritating

so lucas is now a world class player. mate u need to wake up as well. did u listen to sky after the match. oh thats right them boys are stupid as well?

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: August 16, 2009, 08:43:35 pm »
Lucas was shite today as per usual, he offers nothing to the team and shouldn't play again.

ever? or just not for Liverpool?

::)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #500 on: August 16, 2009, 08:43:41 pm »
Lucas was shite today as per usual, he offers nothing to the team and shouldn't play again. Gerrard needs to be moved back to midfield until Aquilani is fit. Next game line up should be

Pepe

Torres

If Pepe plays that far right  of the goal it'll be suicide
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: August 16, 2009, 08:44:01 pm »
the sky is falling! the sky is falling!

we've lost one game, the fact its the first game of the season makes no odds, we've still only lost 3 points.
theres a lot still to play for.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #502 on: August 16, 2009, 08:44:02 pm »
But surely Gerrard is at his most dangerous in regards to goals when he was the freedom to play in the final third. I'd rather see Yossi and Gerrard causing havoc in the final third to be honest and Lucas' forward passing is pretty perceptive. He just needs to step up and show for it a bit more especially where our CB's are concerned.

I can't believe this argument has reared it's head again!

Gerrard is only dangerous when he has the ball and the time and space to use it. Didn't happen often enough today, and if games are not going our way, it's better to create more chances by dropping Gerrard in to a position where he can force the play and bring other players in.

Again, I reiterate my point that it's not Lucas that's particularly bad, it's just a tactical shift. OK then, how about we take Lucas off for Yossi when we need goals, and leave Stevie behind Nando?

I don't hate Lucas, I like him and it isn't my intention to get this debate going again. I still think we should start Lucas and keep faith in him. I just meant in situations like today, where Gerrard is dropping off anyway to get the ball and the game going, and Lucas' impact is diminishing, I would rather we sacrifice him for another striker than Kuyt, as we did today.

Offline gollne

• clearance...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arts pics like ass in the morning
« Reply #503 on: August 16, 2009, 08:44:27 pm »
so lucas is now a world class player. mate u need to wake up as well. did u listen to sky after the match. oh thats right them boys are stupid as well?

:lmao
Rafa: Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Crowd: Spaniard, Spaniard, Spaniard...

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
« Reply #504 on: August 16, 2009, 08:44:50 pm »

do you know how to read or do you just know how type gibberish? where the fuck in the past posts did anyone say lucas was kaka? and no i don't listen to sky cause they're shite.
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #505 on: August 16, 2009, 08:45:21 pm »
did u listen to sky after the match.

Oh dear god!

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: August 16, 2009, 08:45:44 pm »
The amount of drama queens on here today is unreal.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #507 on: August 16, 2009, 08:46:06 pm »
flippin eck, missed the game but just saw the pen incident. Dowd your an incompetent ***.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: August 16, 2009, 08:46:16 pm »

Fuckin' A. ;D

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: August 16, 2009, 08:46:24 pm »

Pepe

Torres
in fact lucas should just be put out of his misery and put down. open your fucking eyes, he did absolutely nothing wrong today. i agree gerrard should be moved back into the middle but not because of anything lucas has done in this game. just because gerrard is better.

Offline dobbadobbs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice..
« Reply #510 on: August 16, 2009, 08:47:02 pm »
What a load of complete bollocks this thread is.

Today we didn't play well, deserved to get beat.

We will beat Stoke and all will be rosy again.

That is all.
'Rome wasn't built in a day...but milan was destroyed in 7 minutes'

Xbox Live - Dobbadobbs

Betfair referral code, no catch...£20 each for both of us FWHVCRTRF <----enter this on registering...

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: August 16, 2009, 08:47:15 pm »
your fishing there surely...please tell me you are....nobody can be that thick.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #512 on: August 16, 2009, 08:47:36 pm »

did I listen to sky?

No I didnt because I have a fucking brain in my head and can make up my own mind how a player has played.

I dont need no fucking pundits to spoon feed me my opinion

I despair, I really do
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline dobbadobbs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice..
« Reply #513 on: August 16, 2009, 08:48:18 pm »
SKY and their pundits are always right don'tyaknow  ;D
'Rome wasn't built in a day...but milan was destroyed in 7 minutes'

Xbox Live - Dobbadobbs

Betfair referral code, no catch...£20 each for both of us FWHVCRTRF <----enter this on registering...

Offline FryBaconFace

• Main Stander
  • ~~sizzle~~
« Reply #514 on: August 16, 2009, 08:48:40 pm »
there is a fourth, I watched the Man Utd match and there were many decisions that didn't go in their favour... Rafa's rant is a slow burner.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing when I watched that guy step on Berbatov's foot yesterday and get away with it.   
God kills a kitten every time Gerrard takes a corner. - Juan Loco

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: August 16, 2009, 08:49:16 pm »

I'm not normally into making quotes as my signature but my God this one is tempting.

Shows the complete idiotic nature of the general football fan.

Cheers for the laugh. Mate.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: August 16, 2009, 08:49:25 pm »
Quote of the season that Sky remark and we're only one game in. ;D

Offline Notayesman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: August 16, 2009, 08:49:49 pm »
Gerrard is only dangerous when he has the ball and the time and space to use it. Didn't happen often enough today, and if games are not going our way, it's better to create more chances by dropping Gerrard in to a position where he can force the play and bring other players in.

Again, I reiterate my point that it's not Lucas that's particularly bad, it's just a tactical shift. OK then, how about we take Lucas off for Yossi when we need goals, and leave Stevie behind Nando?

I don't hate Lucas, I like him and it isn't my intention to get this debate going again. I still think we should start Lucas and keep faith in him. I just meant in situations like today, where Gerrard is dropping off anyway to get the ball and the game going, and Lucas' impact is diminishing, I would rather we sacrifice him for another striker than Kuyt, as we did today.

Fair enough but I don't really agree. For me Gerrard is at his instinctive best in the final third where things come naturally to him and where he doesn't have time to think. Given time on the ball in midfield is not his strength and never really was. The fact is Gerrard didn't improve things significantly by dropping deep today, I actually remember him giving the ball away several times. It was Yossi's running that changed things but I'd still always prefer Gerrard near Torres and the goal than dropping deep and trying to ping passes around. This was always a worry for me in that Alonso's departure could cause two problems instead of one if Lucas wasn't able to step up.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #518 on: August 16, 2009, 08:50:00 pm »

:lmao

This is brilliant
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #519 on: August 16, 2009, 08:50:24 pm »
flippin eck, missed the game but just saw the pen incident. Dowd your an incompetent ***.
I'm quite pleased that you missed the game WM, I don't think you'd have enjoyed it all that much ;)
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude