Author Topic: Zip  (Read 4646 times)

Offline superJari-37

• Main Stander
  • Springtime fresh
Zip
« on: November 27, 2011, 04:24:31 am »
Modest introduction:

i guess this isn't the most relevant topic at the moment after a good result (after all we should be rightly confident after that performance - especially in the first half - that the players have rediscovered their ability), but i hope nobody minds if i talk about a feature of our play that's worryingly been absent in 90% of our games this season. The word i use to describe this missing feature is 'zip'.

Immodest introduction:

I don't intend to be a Buzz Killington but I'm happy to assume the role of the fish from Cat in the Hat to do what's necessary, id est alert you all to certain devils in the detail (Thing 1 and Thing 2) when you'd rather relax and enjoy the winning feeling after the last game. Therefore I will outline the nature of the problem and you will all read and take notice. And before you start, I don't want any retorts that sound like 'killjoy' because as it chances I champion the mantra that it's better to analyse deficiencies after success than after failure. The latter, well that's just sour grapes like as sour as from the sourest patch you could find yon side of Stanley Park. Over here, we only grow fresh grapes and these grapes, thank you very much, are fresh as fuck. So please, help yourself.......

So......what is 'zip'? Well, it's absence is characterised by Mr. Predictable, Mr. Unassertive, Mr. Indecisive, Mr. Panic and Mr. Play-it-safe. To explain that i'll direct your attention to our attackin performances in most of our games this season. It's all about periods in games, whether we're home or away, when we're on the front foot. IMO Stoke, Norwich, Swansea, Arsenal, the Mancs and Chelsea (at times) are the main games where a lack of zip has really frustrated and stifled us. I have seen every sec of these games; I didn't see Sunderland game so can't include that one although people have told me there were similar characteristics there.

The problem i've noticed in these games is the lack of cut-throat urgency to our attacks, in other words a lack of 'zip'. There's a pattern that you can notice happening when we're trying to invade the opponent's half and cause chaos (space between halfway line and their 18-yard line is where zip belongs). One of our back 4 or central midfielders has the ball and is looking for an option to move play forward, but the other team are keeping their shape pretty well and everyone is marked. So although there is a pass on, the person who receives the ball will be closed down and hassled quickly. It is basically square one of an attack and for us, when we're lacking zip, seems to be the hardest hurdle for us to get past/shift from. Why are we getting stuck on square one then, in terms of the conviction of our attacks (and why do so many of the passes seem to go safe and predictable, sideways/backwards)? Because our energy levels don't have enough zip.

Zip meaning the confidence and ability to change pace and, further forward, have absolute conviction that what you're going to try is going to work. You might say that the player on the ball at square 1 can only play what's in front of them, i.e: if there's noone making runs then he can't do anything. That's not totally true as when things are looking static the off-the-ball runners sometimes need a little encouragement to start moving themselves. Here's where some zip is needed to make the forward progression swift and cut-throat. To liven things up and get the team going again, the player in possession needs to 'go for it' and implement a change of pace, whether that means going on a small to medium run before releasing the ball, or passing it along the floor very quickly to a forward/advanced midfielder (and hope they can trap/control the ball). Carrying the ball while shielding it from attentive pressing opponents is probably preferable, as IMO it's the best way to get everyone else moving.

Further forward near the 18-yard box (or in it), the importance of the final pass is not lost on anyone. It's crucial that zip is present here as well, as we saw against Chelsea for Maxi's goal. But too often i've felt there's been hesitation in this area and attacks have stalled. Zip is so vital in a psychological sense here, as too much thinking can result in the chance 'goin begging' and negative psychological baggage. Without zip the attacks are often predictable, giving the opponents plenty of time to intercept them. Every time an attack fails like this, the other team get more confident and we get less confident (exacerbated by the crowd's groans of frustration). Predictable and careful attacks make the opponenets more confident that they will be able to deal with whatever you have to throw at them, making them more confident in themselves in general. Attacks with zip and intensity make the opponents think 'crap were in for a long afternoon'.

The best analogy is this: imagine you're fencing somebody and you gain the upper hand. Your opponent stumbles and you have an opening to finish him off, but you hesitate and he has time to recover his defence. This 'second chance' gives him a psychological boost and you a psychological knock (because you're rueing the missed opportunity}.The fencing analogy is only just that, an analogy, but this kind of 'jousting' does take place in games and has an impact on how the psychological complexion of the game will unfold.   

So to summarise i'd say that a lot of our attacks this season, when we've been expected to seize the initiative, have lacked the zip or intensity that you need to really unsettle opponents (particularly games against smaller opponents or games at Anfield). Hopefully in the near future we can rediscover our natural confidence and start blitzing teams
Feared by men and admired by women, Brendan Blake turned from the window and petted Larry, his barely-hominoid, milk-fed gimp

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
Re: Zip
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 04:45:47 am »
Iddity doo dah.
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 04:57:29 am »
WHAT THE .............................?
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 05:00:29 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LcxYwwIL5zQ?version=3&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LcxYwwIL5zQ?version=3&amp;</a>

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 05:04:05 am »
I wish I still smoked weed sometimes. Sativa....Acapulco gold. I'm hungry.

Offline bclfc

• Legacy Fan
  • I think my F5 has gone weird
    • The Who Boys
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 05:10:27 am »
I'll have what he's having.
"If people trust and love you, you will never walk alone." - Philippos

Quote from: shanklyboy on April  3, 2006, 12:04:44 AM

IF YOU'RE EVER SKINT ROMAN
          WE'VE GOT 5 EUROS

Offline Moldyman

• Heart and soul, one will burn.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 05:23:06 am »
I like turtles.

Offline IndianKopite

• Anny Roader
  • Liverpool 4ever!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 05:36:12 am »
Its a well-written post.Good read.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 06:27:12 am »
I like turtles.

I'm scared a duck is watching me somewhere, somehow.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline fosspowered

• Legacy Fan
  • More of an IDK than ITK.
    • FOSSPowered
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 06:31:52 am »
Good post. But why looks weird when you call it "Zip". I know what you mean though.

Offline biratl

• Anny Roader
  • ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 07:11:58 am »
Disregard the bellends. Good post, although zip sounds a bit wierd haha.
If H&G told me the time, I'd check me watch at least 3 times.. twice to see they was telling the truth, and once to see if they'd stole it.

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 08:14:38 am »
I like turtles.

With Garlic Mash!

He has a point though. It will come when when our 'newish' half team finally gels. I think it's awareness of where others are, the runs they will make and understanding when they will make them.

Maxi, Luis and Bellamy showed that though against Chelsea

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 08:27:23 am »
Zip it.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 08:30:04 am »
I caught my foreskin in my zip once.
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 08:32:41 am »
Good OP.

In football terms I'm sure there is a term for what you choose to call dip. I just don't know what it is. But good point in your post.

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 08:37:33 am »
I caught my foreskin in my zip once.

A mate of mine caught his ball skin in the zip of a wetsuit and had to go to the hospital to get it sorted... wish I had of been there to laugh at him.
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline superJari-37

• Main Stander
  • Springtime fresh
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 12:22:54 pm »
I was drunk on Truthtroll lager (15%) when i wrote that but I don't take it back cause it's all true. You can't lie on Truthtroll
Feared by men and admired by women, Brendan Blake turned from the window and petted Larry, his barely-hominoid, milk-fed gimp

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 12:24:25 pm »
What the fuck is going on

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 12:28:45 pm »
What the fuck is going on

Epic post no. 5000. Grats! ;)

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 12:30:57 pm »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 12:44:51 pm »
Your last paragraph has a point to it on occasions but as we showed last week, its also completely wrong if you think about our first goal against Chelsea. If we can maintain the momentum of speed into the box then there's now the skill and subtlety to create moments like Maxi's goal.
So fair post in parts mate, thanks for writing it.
Yep.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 12:51:26 pm »
Hinesy the OP actually mentions Maxi's goal v. Chelsea.

"It's crucial that zip is present here as well, as we saw against Chelsea for Maxi's goal. But too often i've felt there's been hesitation in this area and attacks have stalled. "

I think the point is that we can get alot more goals if we keep the pressure high on the opposing team's half and we haven't been good enough at that.

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 01:02:56 pm »
Christmas time.
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Online chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 02:13:30 pm »
A mate of mine caught his ball skin in the zip of a wetsuit and had to go to the hospital to get it sorted... wish I had of been there to laugh at him.

I'm pretty sure that the zip of a wetsuit runs up your back.. So where the fuck is this lads balls?!

Funny though :P :lmao
YNWA - JFT97

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 02:20:29 pm »
I was disappointed to find out that this isn't a thread about me.
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 02:32:14 pm »
I was disappointed to find out that this isn't a thread about me.

;D

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 03:39:26 pm »
We need to get this message across to the players.
Perhaps we could get this guy onto the coaching staff..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32C0eKRQVt8

'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline daveguapo77

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 11:08:06 pm »
couldnt that whole post have been shortened to " if we could pass and move faster and better  we'd get more points"?

Offline zuchum

• Anny Roader
  • Not that kind of poster
    • Twitter
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 03:01:34 am »
Nor aure if I agree with you OP, but thought it was a damned fine read.

Offline superJari-37

• Main Stander
  • Springtime fresh
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 07:25:58 pm »
against City we needed more ZIP