Author Topic: Liverpool Vs Manchester City - Pre Match Thread.  (Read 22483 times)

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
Liverpool Vs Manchester City - Pre Match Thread.
« on: December 30, 2016, 12:35:25 pm »
Liverpool Vs Manchester City. Anfield. 5.30pm. New Years Eve...

I thought I would post this seeing as the game is tomorrow and we don't have a thread for it yet. Obviously this won't be the standard of the usual write ups as I'm doing it off the cuff (and a shite writer) just to get a thread up. Apologies if the guest writer is about to put his write up on and if so then just delete/lock this topic.

Anyway... Feels as though a win would be huge for us this game as going in to the New Year 8 or 9 off Chelsea would be frustrating but also because we have Spurs snapping at our heels for the top 4 and United not that far back either.

This Fixture has developed in to a bit of a barnstormer in recent years. Feels almost Liverpool vs Newcastle of the 90s the way the neutrals seem to look at it. Everyone always expecting nothing but goals goals goals and to be fair it has generally lived up to the hype. This has developed in to one of the most looked forward to fixtures of the year in recent years for me, not just because of the number of goals the fixture tends to produce but because we tend to beat them. Money has bought them a lot of things in recent years, but apparently it can't buy a win at Anfield.

Played them three times last year and although sadly they managed to beat us in the League Cup Final we handed them not only two defeats in the league but two absolute hammerings.

The first a magnificent 4-1 away win at the Etihad where we saw our first real sight of what a Klopp team in full flow looked like when we were 3-0 up by 30 when Phil and Bobby decided to just be boss...

Coutinho is out of tomorrow's game which is a blow as he tends to score every game against these and generally pretty spectacular goals so losing him will obviously hurt us however we also showed last season that we can beat them without him. Only a few days after the League Cup they came to Anfield in a must win game for them to keep their title hopes going and we wiped the floor with them again with goals from Lallana. Firmino and Milner...

We have a pretty good record in recent games against these. Particularly at Anfield. They have not won on our patch for 13 years and they have won only 1 of the last 5 Premier League games against us, with us winning the other 4. Perhaps rule of averages says they are due one but it won't be tomorrow.

They have Aguero back from suspension which is a huge boost for them obviously as he already has 10 goals in 12 in the league this season. He is coming off a 4 game suspension so we can only hope he is more rusty than rested. He has 4 goals in 8 games against us in the league so obviously a huge threat although he has proved a far bigger threat to us at the Etihad than he has at Anfield.

We might be without two of our best players in Phil and Matip as well but I'm confident we can beat these. We're brilliant in the big games more often than not under Jurgen and tomorrow will just be another one to add to the list. These are determined to pass the ball from the back and I can't wait to see our lads press the living hell out of them. We press better than anyone in the league and the likes of Spurs, Leicester and even Celtic have shown this season they just can't handle it. John Stones is out apparently which is probably a good thing for them but the prospect of playing against a CB pairing of Otamendi and Kolarov is very promising.

Up The Reds.

Mignolet

Clyne - Lovren - Klavan - Milner

Lallana - Henderson - Wijnaldum

Mane - Origi - Firmino
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 01:09:27 pm by King Klopp. »
Believe

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool Vs Manchester City - Pre Match Thread.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 12:49:23 pm »
The most awaited tie of the league so far. It's not often you get the sense outside the big finals, semi finals of a game being the centre of the football universe. This is one of those.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 12:54:45 pm »
Looking forward to what should be a great under the lights! Would be a great way to finish off 2016 in style.

I can see Sturridge starting this one but we'll see!

Offline greg9r

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 12:56:04 pm »
Best opportunity to get in mood for new years eve!

Really big game against a great team managed by one of the best managers in the world.
Really up for this and already buzzing, let's win this red men!!

Hoping for an unchanged line up, maybe Sturridge for Origi, but there i trust Klopp.   :wave

Offline redintweed

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 12:59:59 pm »
Win this and the expectations of the fans will go through the roof.

On paper they are a very good side. I just think they are struggling a bit to adjust to the managers requirements. So I think it's a good time to play them.

Play our game and be clinical and we are every chance of beating them.  A win would put a marker down to the rest of the league (if we haven't already).

Team picks itself, with Daniel to come on and score again hopefully.

Don't care what the score is, as long as we have more goals than them.
I'd rather play for Liverpool Reserves than Everton.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 01:00:58 pm »
Should be a great game. Cannot see anything other than a win for us, albeit even a draw wouldn't be too bad.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 01:06:00 pm »
Can see this going the same way as the Stoke game.
They'll come here to play football and we'll take them apart  :)
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 01:07:06 pm »
Just 3 points with any kind of performance please.
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 01:10:36 pm »
Hope we smash them after having a glance at Blue Moon. Would be a real statement.

Offline TealC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 01:11:02 pm »
Cant watch this for once.. it is the one matchday a year were pretty much evryone around the World has plans .. Will keep updating under the table at the new years dinner tho ;D

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 01:11:24 pm »
Probably the first time since they were bought by the Sheikh that I don't feel like we're inferior to them. They may have a larger group of individual talent but our first XI is better collectively. That's how you bridge the gap in quality I suppose.

We've got absolutely nothing to fear. Pep will obviously have a lot of tactical surprises, I can envisage a lot of man-marking in the middle of the park - good news is that we'll be playing a team that will finally allow us to press them.

It's a massive chance for us to send a message to the rest of the league. If we win I think I'm gonna freak out real bad.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 01:11:45 pm »
Tough to call can see DS starting.
If we play the way only we can play we will pick up 3 points and continue our march up the hill.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 01:13:49 pm »
Really looking forward to this one, should be a great game. Even if I will be in Manchester surrounded by City fans.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 01:14:36 pm »
They will be boosted more by Fernandinho being back then even Aguero. Still shouldn't stop us winning.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 01:15:38 pm »
I think we can win, but we'll still have to on our guard. They too have some quality attack-minded players who could cause us a lot of problems if we're not on our game. I'm going 3-1 to Liverpool.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 01:16:49 pm »
Be goals in it and we'll win,they have a torrid record at our place and i don't see nothing but us winning.

3-1 Firmino Lallana and Gini with the goals.

I hope Stones  plays. ;D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 01:20:48 pm »
Couldn't cope when Celtic, Spurs and Leicester got in their faces, its why their record at Anfield is utterly dismal. They'd come here against crazy energy with the likes of Yaya walking around. Hopefully similar happens tomorrow though it's an enormous blow for us if Stones is out.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 01:40:36 pm »
We're fucked...

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2016/12/30/30993702/-

Paul Merson says Pep Guardiola's Premier League title hopefuls are 'waiting for something to happen' and will struggle against Liverpool

Manchester City ‘don’t look comfortable’ and are in danger of being blown away by Liverpool at Anfield on New Year’s Eve, claims Paul Merson.

Pep Guardiola has seen his side offer a positive response to frustrating setbacks against Chelsea and Leicester.

Man City's Jesus tipped for Ballon d'Or

The festive period has delivered three successive wins, with that points haul helping to keep City in the Premier League title picture.

They have, however, been far from impressive at times and Merson believes a collection of world-class performers are relying on others to produce moments of inspiration.

He expects that to play into Liverpool’s hands on Saturday, with it possible that Jurgen Klopp’s side could ‘run away with it’ on Merseyside.

Merson told Sky Sports: “You didn't see City's 3-0 win over Hull coming after 60 minutes, and I don't see how they can live with Liverpool's attack. I think Liverpool will win quite comfortably.

“City have world-class players but for me, I don't think they know what they're doing. I look at them and I think they're just waiting for something to happen and if Liverpool go in front, I think they will run away with it.

“Forget the last 20 minutes against Hull, before that it was average from City. If you play like that against Liverpool, the game will be over by then. They don't look comfortable.

“Liverpool go out and attack and they can score bundles of goals. The defenders at City aren't good enough - he's left out John Stones and the others haven't been as bad. For me, I don't see anything but a Liverpool win.”

'Man City relying on natural ability'

Liverpool have also taken maximum points from their last three outings, with Jurgen Klopp’s side brimming with confidence after easing to a 4-1 mauling of Stoke City on Tuesday.

City put three past Hull City on Boxing Day, but all of their goals arrived in a final 18-minute flourish at the KC Stadium – with Guardiola’s side having toiled for long periods against struggling opponents.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 01:40:56 pm »
This is such a crucial match, the outcome would probably determine whether we would be going for the title or a top four finish. I am confident we would win this though.
Believer

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 01:41:16 pm »
Will be a great match and a big test for us. ManCity have shown more bottle under Pep Guardiola than Manuel Pellegrini in the big games, but they haven't found the right mixture to win those big games yet. They beat perennial bottlers Arsenal 2-1 and shitscared Mourinho-managed ManUtd 2-1, but lost the recent big fixture against Chelsea 3-1 (although they turned up for that game, admittedly). They also got harried against Leicester City and Tottenham away, losing 4-2 and 2-0 respectively. Our team is further in its development and it shows in those big games. The Reds will win, but it will be tight.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 01:47:41 pm »
This is such a crucial match, the outcome would probably determine whether we would be going for the title or a top four finish. I am confident we would win this though.

Depends. A loss would be damaging but a draw wouldn't be at all. At this stage of the season as long as you avoid defeats against your rivals then you are pretty well set.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 01:53:27 pm »
After Chelsea batter Stoke, looks like we'll have to win this, can't really go onto the New Year 8/9 points behind them.

But if we win City and I believe we will, Chelsea will probably think after a run of 13 straight wins how the fuck are we only 6 points behind them, not much in the GD and with them to visit Anfield.

Great position for us to be in, the pesky underdogs they can't shake off. Title challenge well and truly on if we beat City...my fave prediction is always 3-1 to us at home, so I'll end the year off with another similar guess at this one!

Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 01:55:31 pm »
Just win.

Up the reds
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 01:56:25 pm »
They had a nightmare against Leicester's aggressive press and I would expect us to be fired up by Jurgen to come at them like a steam train from the off. Pep insists they play out from the back and with our front five or six all over them I'm hopeful of a mistake or two and some early goals.

A win would be massive for us and really declare that we are in the battle for the title. City will not be looking forward to this one but it's a shame Aguero is back.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2016, 02:02:34 pm »
Dont care how but please just win.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016, 02:08:48 pm »
Fans planning on welcoming the bus in?? Might be the wrong thread but atmosphere can be a massive factor

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 02:22:36 pm »
If we get our pressing game going and take our chances. We Will win.

We have to defend better in the middle of the pitch. We struggled in that area againstburnley and Bournemoth. If gray can haunt us . Kevin de bruyne can run riot. Midfield should be on top of his game

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 02:42:28 pm »
Man City coming to Anfield means they have to adapt to our game. Guardiola knows Klopp well, he will try to have a surprise in store for us, but fortunately for us it seems that his team does not have an appreciation of Guardiola's nuances yet.

If I had to hazard a guess, with Stones out, they will have to stick with a back four. But they will probably play compact, and try to force us out wide. With Sterling and Silva out wide, they will try to pin down our fullbacks, especially on the right facing Milner. Yaya Toure is in form, but he will be susceptible to the press, so I imagine Guardiola won't force the issue down the middle, Fernandinho will most likely be there to shield Yaya, while the latter stays in a pivot role.

They will try to press us early with their quick front line, and as long as Lovren can handle it (Klavan I am not too worried about), then it will be ok. But I suspect Aguero will take time to get into his rhythm, so the onus is on Sterling and KDB. Sterling, especially, will probably carry a large part of the offensive and defensive load for City. He is more mature now, but I still think he has issues wrapping his head around being a winner.

I spoke about this in preseason, this is not Man City's year. They're in a transition phase, and they're lacking severely in several key areas, and their age is showing. As long as we keep to our strengths, we will be fine.

Offline MinnyRed

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 02:42:31 pm »
Would be tempted to move Bobby in the middle and play Daniel on the side opposite Mane (I don't fancy Origi on the outside). The three of them would run City ragged.

Note to Pep: please play stones.

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2016, 02:52:05 pm »
Sturridge in for Origi. Bobby on the left. 3-1 Redmen.
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 02:52:48 pm »
Hope we smash them after having a glance at Blue Moon. Would be a real statement.
I took a look after reading this, and came across this quote

"Raheem will be up against Milner - I sincerely hope we try to get the lad running at pace at the judas as much as possible early doors."

Does this thick fucker have a short memory?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 02:53:56 pm »

"Raheem will be up against Milner - I sincerely hope we try to get the lad running at pace at the judas as much as possible early doors."

hahaha that's classic.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 02:54:21 pm »
Please just fucking win Reds. 1-0 or 5-0 doesn't matter. Just fucking win.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2016, 02:56:11 pm »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2016, 03:01:24 pm »
It's been a favourable match-up for us in recent times and we're an even fitter and stronger side now. We really should be winning this. Anfield on NYE should be rocking.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2016, 03:11:44 pm »

I had a look and it truly is the worst of the worst that forum.

Hope we smash them
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2016, 03:17:05 pm »
Confident of a win here, we're at home and we have a great recent history against them. I predict 2-1 to us, but can see there being more than three goals in the game.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2016, 03:19:55 pm »
Thanks King Klopp for the write-up......nothing wrong with your writing ability.

This is a hard game to call. De Bruyne and Silva are playing well so it is important that we keep these two and of course Aguero quiet.

I think our front three will be too clever for City and we will shade the game. We may even blitz them.

It's a big game and whoever wins will carry forward a lot of confidence.
#JFT97

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2016, 03:22:23 pm »

That's amazing

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2016, 03:24:21 pm »
Aguero coming back. How is he usually after missing some games, sharp or does he take time? As many as he scores, I'm assuming sharp right off the bat?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?