Author Topic: LFC Manager Jürgen Klopp: Interviews, conferences, articles  (Read 43654 times)

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
Re: Media watch -Klopp headlines
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2015, 09:56:51 am »
https://streamable.com/3e5h

Well worth a watch, Klopp is just so calm and cool, and goes into some really fascinating tactical stuff.

Absolutely boss.

I tell you, the negative nellies dotted around/infesting RAWK need to give themselves a stern talking to.

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC Manager Jürgen Klopp: Interviews, conferences, articles
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2015, 10:36:15 am »
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Media watch -Klopp headlines
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2015, 10:57:33 am »
https://streamable.com/3e5h

Well worth a watch, Klopp is just so calm and cool, and goes into some really fascinating tactical stuff.

Brilliant mate. Thanks for this.

The comments regarding Jurgen having a word with Firmino and Can right at the end of the interview were brilliant :)

Offline petecolonia

• Anny Roader
  • Left of the Sinking Ship
    • Northern Independence Party
« Reply #123 on: December 4, 2015, 03:20:45 pm »
Will be translating these two interviews which are, in parts, quite insightful! Unless someone deems it inappropriate, like.

http://www.zeit.de/2009/33/Klopp :

[...coming soon]

http://www.zeit.de/2013/30/juergen-klopp-interview :

Part 1:

When you're gesturing like a madman on the sidelines of a football match, people ask themselves: is that still normal?

K: Is he still normal?

Are we seeing the real Jürgen Klopp, or are you playing a role?

K: I've played exactly two roles in my life. Once, in my school's theatre group I appeared as a barber, and years later I was on stage as part of a Carneval session in Mainz.

So we are seeing the real Jürgen Klopp?

K: Who else? It's only about communicating with my players and giving them clear instructions in a noisy stadium, in front of 80,000 people. This just isn't possible by being politely reserved.

Has your wife Ulla urged you to behave better?

K: She knows: During the game I'm in competition mode, even if it's just a friendly. I have a strong sense of justice, so I go on the defensive if I feel one of my players, or my team, have been unjustly treated. Then I can indeed also react emotionally. Obviously this perceived injustice is purely subjective.

In the past, you've regularly had arguments with referees.

K: I'm still working on it. The situation has calmed down alot, since experienced referees are used as fourth officials on the sidelines.

Why did you tell the public about the fact that you had a hair transplant? Was that an expression of 'Kloppish' humour?

K: I didn't tell the public anything. I merely confirmed it, when asked the question!

Is there even a place for humour in professional football?

K: If you're first in the table, you can afford more humour than if you're second.

[Part about losing Mario Götze's transfer and Lewandowski wanting to leave. Says Götze isn't his to talk about anymore, but thinks and hopes he will be a success at Bayern.]

[...to be continued]
« Last Edit: December 4, 2015, 04:01:37 pm by petecolonia »
Bunch of centrist wetwipes - Watching Britain sink into obscurity.

Keir Starmer will tank hard. Alan X says I'm a bore, but at least I don't mod forums. That's just sad.

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: December 4, 2015, 05:51:08 pm »
Article today in The Washington Post which uses some statistical analysis to look at our defence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/12/04/jurgen-klopp-has-built-a-powerful-defensive-liverpool-side/

Offline cookie-monster

• Anny Roader
  • Attack is the best form of defence
« Reply #125 on: December 4, 2015, 07:32:06 pm »
Will be translating these two interviews which are, in parts, quite insightful! Unless someone deems it inappropriate, like.

http://www.zeit.de/2009/33/Klopp :

[...coming soon]

http://www.zeit.de/2013/30/juergen-klopp-interview :

Part 1:

When you're gesturing like a madman on the sidelines of a football match, people ask themselves: is that still normal?

K: Is he still normal?

Are we seeing the real Jürgen Klopp, or are you playing a role?

K: I've played exactly two roles in my life. Once, in my school's theatre group I appeared as a barber, and years later I was on stage as part of a Carneval session in Mainz.

So we are seeing the real Jürgen Klopp?

K: Who else? It's only about communicating with my players and giving them clear instructions in a noisy stadium, in front of 80,000 people. This just isn't possible by being politely reserved.

Has your wife Ulla urged you to behave better?

K: She knows: During the game I'm in competition mode, even if it's just a friendly. I have a strong sense of justice, so I go on the defensive if I feel one of my players, or my team, have been unjustly treated. Then I can indeed also react emotionally. Obviously this perceived injustice is purely subjective.

In the past, you've regularly had arguments with referees.

K: I'm still working on it. The situation has calmed down alot, since experienced referees are used as fourth officials on the sidelines.

Why did you tell the public about the fact that you had a hair transplant? Was that an expression of 'Kloppish' humour?

K: I didn't tell the public anything. I merely confirmed it, when asked the question!

Is there even a place for humour in professional football?

K: If you're first in the table, you can afford more humour than if you're second.

[Part about losing Mario Götze's transfer and Lewandowski wanting to leave. Says Götze isn't his to talk about anymore, but thinks and hopes he will be a success at Bayern.]

[...to be continued]
very cool! keep them coming and i'll be definitely tuned in
irc://irc.centralchat.net:6667/LFC

"Gentlemen, the screwballs have spoken!"  - The Simpsons

Online Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #126 on: December 5, 2015, 07:53:24 am »
Article today in The Washington Post which uses some statistical analysis to look at our defence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/12/04/jurgen-klopp-has-built-a-powerful-defensive-liverpool-side/

Interesting how some if the data is the same under Rodgers or Klopp. And that he concludes from the data that the playing of a DM has been the big difference maker.

Interesting too how the stats don't show the pressing yet. We still have a lot of improvement ahead of us like JK points out every interview. :)
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: December 7, 2015, 05:56:43 pm »
Thanks,  petecolonia.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
The Boss Will See You Now: 442 Oct 16 (Oliver Kay)
« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2016, 04:38:50 pm »
Excellent article. Good insight. Look for it and happy reading ...

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 04:19:32 pm by MNAA »
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Boss Will See You Now: 442 Oct 16 (Oliver Kay)
« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2016, 04:43:53 pm »
Sorry, I cannot get past that face! HA!
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline MNAA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2016, 04:21:36 pm »
Part I
Jurgen Klopp likes a party. That much became clear to Liverpool's player on their way back from Vicarage Road, Watford on December 20 last year. They had wondered if their manager, seething at their display in abject 3-0 defeat, might cancel the Christmas party that was scheduled for that evening. Most had assumed and even hoped that he would. Nobody was in the mood.

To their surprise, Klopp insisted that the party must go ahead. More than that, he issued a three-line whip, attendance compulsory. His players, his staff and their partners all headed to the Formby Hall hotel that night with a feeling that they rather be doing almost anything else. When everyone was present, Klopp took the microphone. "We are all disappointed, but the game has gone now,"he told them. "Right now, this is our priority. I don't mind whether you drink, but no one leaves here before 1 am. Whatever we do together, we do as well as we can - and tonight that means we party."

So party they did. And Klopp, according to those present, was the life and soul, heading straight to the dance floor with his wife, Ulla and by all accounts displaying some surprisingly nimble footwork for a big man, albeit let down by a little too much clapping. He did not stop smiling all evening and soon enough, that infectious grin began to spread to his players. As 1 am approached, nobody was clock-watching. Instead players, partners and staff alike were involved in a dance-off, with the wrteched display at Watford put firmly to the backs of their minds

To be continued ...

(Mods: If there's any copyright concerns, let me know and just remove the thread)
coitus will occur

Offline MNAA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2016, 04:47:01 pm »
Part II

A few days earlier, Man Utd's christmas party had been cancelled by their players. They sensed perhaps correctly , that neither the Utd fans nor their manager, Louis van Gaal would want to hear of the squad revelling in the festive spirit so soon after tumbling out of the Champions League, while also in the midst of a dreadful league run that brought consecutive defeats to Bournemouth, Norwich and Stoke.

Christmas being cancelled has become a regular part of the premier league narrative, with Harry Redknapp and Alan Pardew among those to play Scrooge in recent years. But Klopp 2 months after his arrival in England, preferred to take the opposite approach. The party, he felt, was even more important considering what had happened that afternoon at Vicarage Road

If they had done their homework on Klopp, Liverpool players would not have been quite so surprised. He had played exactly the same card in Germany 12 months previously. Stuck in the worst period of his coaching career, with his Borrusia Dortmundteam unthinkably finding themselves just one point off the bottom of the Bundesliga halfway through the season, he was determined that they head into their winter break in happier spirits. He sent a text to his players: "Don't think for a moment that this is optional. No exceptions. Everyone comes."

To be continued ...   
coitus will occur

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2016, 04:56:30 pm »
Loving this. Talk about being a people's person and knowing how to lift team spirit. I think this is hugely underestimated today in sports but especially in top football. You have psychologists, dietitians, and a whole team of analytics that are all important, but getting a long well with your group and nurturing that camaraderie is invaluable.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2016, 02:30:42 pm »
“There will come a day where I decide it has been enough,” Klopp told RedaktionsNetzwerk Deutschland.

“I would say it is very, very unlikely that I will still be coaching at the age of 60.

“I will definitely return to Germany to live there, but I do not know whether I will return to Germany as a coach. I have no plans to annoy someone who does not want me around with my presence at the end of my managerial career.

“And if Mainz, Dortmund and Liverpool turn out to be the only three clubs I have coached at the end my career at least it has been with great clubs.”

Klopp, who signed a new six-year contact in July to keep him at Anfield until 2022, is relishing the challenge facing him with the Reds.

“I knew it would be hard to reject Liverpool if they came knocking. I have always liked Liverpool,” he added.

“This is just how I have always imagined football should be, extremely emotional.

“It is now all about developing this club and ensure we come in a position we can win trophies again.

"Everything we win on the way to that stage is an added bonus. That’s the plan.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-liverpool-just-how-imagined-11961081

Seen Klopp say similar in the past that he couldn't imagine being like Wenger managing to that age. I imagine the way Klopp does football takes a real toll on his body. Hard to imagine 67 year old Klopp jumping up and down on the touchline  ;D
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2016, 03:23:01 pm »

Seen Klopp say similar in the past that he couldn't imagine being like Wenger managing to that age. I imagine the way Klopp does football takes a real toll on his body. Hard to imagine 67 year old Klopp jumping up and down on the touchline  ;D
He'd have to take his ear trumpet to the panel beater after every match.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: October 7, 2016, 08:23:11 am »
The making of Jurgen Klopp: How humble Black Forest origins shaped Liverpool manager

By Sam Wallace, chief football writer
7 OCTOBER 2016 • 7:00AM

In the little town of Glatten, nestled in the Black Forest, the locals say that the character of Jürgen Klopp, their most famous son, was shaped by his environment, although on a clear autumn day amid its quiet streets and unassuming people, it can be hard to see how that might be the case.

The Liverpool manager reaches one year in the job today and his impact on the Premier League has been significant: a demanding coach, a wisecracking post-match interviewee, a man-hugger extraordinaire and, most of all, a manager who has built a side who could challenge for the title. In Glatten, the seed was planted and the boy who would go on to win two Bundesliga titles at Borussia Dortmund, before eventually moving to Liverpool, took his first steps in the game.

The 1976 youth team of SV Glutten. Klopp is fourth from the right in the back row

For the full picture to emerge, it takes a conversation with one of his two older sisters, Isolde Reich, and her husband, Kurt, who can explain the full Klopp family story and the factors that influenced young Jürgen. The Reichs are friendly, patient people and when the photographer and I turn up at their home, which doubles as Isolde’s hair salon, she checks her schedule and asks if we would mind coming back in an hour.

An hour later, with the family photos spread out on the kitchen table, discussion turns to Jürgen’s tactile side, that tendency to gather up his players in embraces in the aftermath of victory, as he did at Stamford Bridge after the win over Chelsea last month. “Going to people and being like that – he gets that from my father,” Isolde says. “He was exactly the same.”

Norbert Klopp is the much-missed patriarch of the family who died aged 67 in 2000 after a three-year battle with cancer. It was Norbert and his wife Elisabeth, who still lives in Glatten, who would drive Jürgen to training 20 miles away in Ergenzingen when he joined the best youth team in the area. It was Norbert who, Kurt explains, was the driving force in his son’s development as a footballer but never lived to see him become a coach in 2001 at Mainz, the club at which Jürgen spent his whole professional playing career.

“He [Norbert] was very proud of Jürgen,” Kurt says. “He would say that to other people but he wasn’t one for telling you ‘well done’ all the time. He focused Jürgen on the things that were not so good. He criticised him a little bit and kept his feet on the ground. We have the phrase here, ‘the hair in the soup’ – it is about the small things that are not so good.

General view of the Glatten town where Jurgen Klopp is from

“It was probably necessary to push him when he was younger. After that, Jürgen made it by himself. Norbert and Elisabeth spent a lot of time every day driving him to his new club, TuS Ergenzingen, and from there Jürgen’s career took off.”

The pride in Jürgen, is clear and the family were careful to select for The Daily Telegraph only the pictures they thought he would approve of. It is not hard to spot the physical similarities with his father, who worked his whole life for the local company Fischer as a rawlplug salesman, a dedicated grafter who took his loyalty to the firm’s boss, Artur Fischer, very seriously.

“He identified with the company really deeply,” Kurt says. “It was a family-owned company and he was close to Artur. It is a global player now but that was not the case back then. Norbert took four weeks’ holiday a year and the rest of the time he was working.”

The similarities with Jürgen, he says, are plain for the family to see. “He works really hard – a workaholic really. You have to be to do that kind of job well.”

Jürgen left the family home in Glatten when he finished his arbitur – the German equivalent of A-levels. At 20, he first moved to Pforzheim to play for a club there. From there, he went to a series of amateur clubs in Frankfurt while he also studied for a university degree in sports business.

He signed for Mainz in 1990, aged 23, and played there as a striker and eventually a centre-half, until he became manager 11 years later.

Souvenirs of Klopp are seen in the clubhouse of SV Glatten CREDIT: THOMAS KIENZIE

“He himself has said that he was not the best footballer, although he did score four in a game once,” Kurt says. “He always hoped Mainz would get promoted to the Bundesliga but it never happened until he was manager. He tells us that sometimes he is a dreamer when it comes to football. He always says that he is so happy that his hobby also happens to be his job.”

As a teenager, Jürgen would occasionally go to Stuttgart, the nearest big city to Glatten, to watch the club he supported, VfB Stuttgart, although it was playing rather than watching with which he was preoccupied. He once had a trial at VfB but was not asked back. “Those kind of setbacks built his character,” Kurt says.

Norbert was also a promising footballer, a goalkeeper who played for Kaiserslautern’s junior teams and grew up in the austerity of post-war West Germany earning money when a teenager as a feintaschner – making bags and wallets out of leather.

Elisabeth’s family were from Glatten and in the past owned the local Schwanenbräu brewery which, like many small independents in modern Germany, have been swallowed up by the major names.

Although it is a member of their family who has sprinkled the stardust on Glatten, the Reichs are notably understated and will visit Anfield for the first time this month.

Ulrich Rath was the first manager Jurgen Klopp played under CREDIT: THOMAS KIENZLE

Kurt works as a salesman for a packaging machine company and there is a steady stream of clients for Isolde’s hairdressers. We bid them farewell and head over to see Ulrich Rath, the first manager for whom Jürgen played.

The 75-year-old, who is honorary president of SV Glatten, is such a well-known figure in the town that when we pop into the town hall, Tore-Derek Pfeifer insists on introducing us personally to see Rath. Pfeifer is the mayor of Glatten, although the German word for it, bürgermeister, is much better.

Rath founded the junior teams of SV Glatten, the town’s club which Jürgen played for alongside his best friend, Rath’s younger son, Harti. In the pictures of that Glatten boys’ team from the mid-1970s, golden years for West German football, Klopp is immediately recognisable even without the glasses.

“Our first match, Jürgen was chasing a long ball and crashed into the goalkeeper,” Ulrich remembers. “He broke his collar bone and dislocated his shoulder but he still came to the next match. He ended up ballboy. You could see how desperate he was to be involved, to do something. He was eight years old.”

Ulrich gets emotional when he talks about Jürgen ringing him from Liverpool to speak to him on his 75th birthday in January. It was in Ulrich’s house in Glatten, with magnificent views across the valley, that he says Jürgen and Harti would have teenage parties in the basement. The boys learnt to ski together and both Jürgen and Harti went on to play for TuS Ergenzingen.

Klopp is celebrating a year at Anfield CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

Harti is godfather to Klopp’s son Marc, 26, from his first marriage, and all the Raths are off to Liverpool next month for the first time to see a game.

“From his father, Jürgen gets his temperament and his eloquence,” Ulrich says. “And the quietness and the humility he gets from this region.” He points out the big windows of his living room. “From the Black Forest.”

The last stop is TuS Ergenzingen, the club Jürgen joined at the age of 16. He played there until he was 20, finally leaving the club and the family home in Glatten to embark on the career that would take him to Pforzheim, Eintract Frankfurt II, Viktoria Sindlingen, Rot-Weiss Frankfurt and then Mainz. At Ergenzingen, one of Jürgen’s old team-mates, Paco Garcia, is out on the training pitches coaching the under-18s.

Garcia, 49, who works in the Mercedes-Benz factory in nearby Sindelfingen, played one season, 1984-1985, with Jürgen and remembers a striker who was unusually quick for his height.

“He was a really cool type of guy, a good character. He was very human, very emotional. He always wanted to win … there were a couple of players who were better than him but he had that will to win and focus to do it.”

By the time Jürgen’s professional playing career finally took off at Mainz, he was 23. He had battled his way through four amateur clubs. He had graduated from university. He was a father.

He occasionally comes back to Glatten and they held a big celebration for him when he won his first league title with

Dortmund in 2011. It is there, deep in the Black Forest, that they appreciate best just how far their boy has had to come to establish himself as one of the leading coaches in Europe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/07/the-making-of-jurgen-klopp-how-humble-black-forest-origins-shape/
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: October 7, 2016, 08:49:09 am »
that mustache and glasses combo :lmao :lmao
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: October 7, 2016, 09:32:01 am »
that mustache and glasses combo :lmao :lmao

Jeffrey Dahmer with a tash.

Jurgen Klopp. Serial Killer.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #138 on: October 7, 2016, 10:11:14 am »
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline KloppCanKariustoglory

• Boys Pen
« Reply #139 on: October 7, 2016, 11:10:30 am »
Article below from Football365.com this morning;

On Saturday, Jurgen Klopp will ‘celebrate’ one year in charge of Liverpool – but do not bring him a f***ing cake.

Here, from the studio which brought you ‘Outstanding: Brendan Rodgers’ top 20 quotes‘, ‘Special: Jose Mourinho’s top 20 quotes,’ and ‘Phenomenal: Roberto Martinez in quotes’ and ‘Gravy and chips: Samuel ‘Sam’ Allardyce in quotes‘, we pick out some of the greatest quotes from Jurgen Norbert Klopp.

20. On losing the 2013 Champions League final: “The only thing I can say is that it was great. London is the town of the Olympic Games. The weather was good, everything is OK. Only the result is sh*t.”

19. On his playing days: “I never succeeded in bringing to the field what was going on in my brain. I had the talent for the fifth division, and the mind for the Bundesliga. The result was a career in the second division.”

18. On winning at least one trophy in four years at Liverpool: “When I sit here in four years I would say we won one title. If not next time [I will manage] in Switzerland.”

17. On rumours of Mats Hummels joining Manchester United: “If that’s not a bullsh*t story, I’ll eat a broomstick.”

16. On Bayern Munich: “We have a bow and arrow and if we aim well, we can hit the target. The problem is that Bayern has a bazooka. But then Robin Hood was quite successful.”

15. On purple bins: “We had a good plan in the first half but conceded two goals, so you can throw your plan in the purple bin.”

14. On Dortmund’s poor 2014: “The best news today is that football is over for 2014, any criticism that we receive now is justified. We are standing here like complete idiots and it’s completely our own fault.”

13. On beating Bayern 5-2 in the German Cup final in 2012: “It could have been a bit warmer.”

12. On Bayern Munich again: “At the moment, they are like the Chinese in the business world. They look at what others are doing and copy it, just with more money.”

11. On remaining discreet in public: “In extreme situations, you have to think fast. At one of my mates’ stag parties, we all dressed up as Father Christmas – fully masked.”

10. On Arsene Wenger: “He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. I like heavy metal.”

9. On his wife: “She wrote a book for children. It’s like Harry Potter – but it’s about football. There’s no Harry Potter flying on his f***ing stick – just football.”

8. On an Alberto Moreno goal being ruled out in a defeat to Newcastle: “We made our goal but because we weren’t good enough today the linesman thought: ‘Well, you don’t make world class goals if you play this sh*t’.”

7. On losing to Crystal Palace – the only defeat in his first ten Liverpool games: “I would really like to change my personality, but I can’t forget this f***ing loss against Crystal Palace.”

6. On Henrikh Mkhitaryan: “Mkhitaryan fits us like an arse on a bucket. What he offers is exactly what we need.”

5. On Mario Gotze: “Gotze has gone because he is Guardiola‘s personal chosen signing and he wants to play with Guardiola, in his style. It’s my fault. I can’t make myself 15cm shorter or start speaking Spanish.”

4. On Barcelona: “I show my team very often Barcelona but not the way they play. Just the way they celebrate goals. Goal no 5768 in the last few weeks and they go ‘Yeeeess’ like they never scored a goal. This is what I love about football. That’s what you have to feel all the time. Until you die. And then everything is OK.”

3. On explaining to a Schalke fan how to win the Bundesliga: “How do you explain to a blind person what colour is?”

2. On himself: “The problem with my life is that I’ve said too much sh*t in the past and no-one forgets it.”

1. On his first red card as a manager: “I’m a bit proud of my first red card as a coach. I approached the fourth official and said: ‘How many mistakes are allowed here? If it’s 15, you have one more.'”

Some cracking quotes in there, especially the Shalke one. ;D

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #140 on: October 7, 2016, 11:13:26 am »
pics make him look like a porn star back in the 80's or a serial killer in a b-movie....

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: October 7, 2016, 11:17:11 am »
We can safely say Jurgen ages like a fine wine

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: October 7, 2016, 04:35:01 pm »
Hard to believe it's been one year with this man at the helm. What a ride it's been and how lucky are we to have this guy leading us? Still have to pinch myself. JURGEN NORBERT KLOPP, LFC MANAGER. That's not going to get old.

Try to remember that during this terrible international break and in between arguments about whether Karius or Mignolet should start or whether we're a better side with Sturridge in it or not.  ;)
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: October 7, 2016, 09:38:32 pm »
Klopp playing bowls

https://mobile.twitter.com/LFC/status/784429661384126464/video/1

Sorry if its been posted before.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: October 7, 2016, 09:59:12 pm »
Klopp playing bowls

https://mobile.twitter.com/LFC/status/784429661384126464/video/1

Sorry if its been posted before.

First cricket, and now bowls! Living in Formby is rubbing off on Kloppo

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #145 on: October 7, 2016, 10:23:05 pm »
Great to see we have a quality manger who can take us to the next level.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #146 on: October 8, 2016, 10:29:22 pm »
I said it when he came here and feel the same now there is no manager I'd rather have in charge of us than Jürgen Klopp

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: October 9, 2016, 11:48:46 am »
I said it when he came here and feel the same now there is no manager I'd rather have in charge of us than Jürgen Klopp

He really is perfect for us. He has the same outlook on the game as many of us and he fully understands the club.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2016, 05:20:27 am »
Cant wait for the end of the season and the city open-top bus tour!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2016, 05:41:03 am »
Ditto! Just love the man!

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2016, 05:41:22 am »
Cant wait for the end of the season and the city open-top bus tour!
Amen!  ;D

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: October 13, 2016, 01:23:41 pm »
Anyone know when the Utd presser is? Usually they're Thursdays, right? RIGHT?

I need my fix...

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2016, 01:56:29 pm »
Anyone know when the Utd presser is? Usually they're Thursdays, right? RIGHT?

I need my fix...
It'll be Friday because we're playing Monday.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2016, 02:17:04 pm »
Cheers  :'(

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2016, 10:07:25 pm »
Classy stuff from our boss yet again:

Klopp on the Seeing is Believing charity
“I did good things like this when I first started sports science. I worked with handicapped people, not only not seeing but not hearing or other issues. So I’m quite sensitive about this. I worked in a hospital. I was teaching wheelchair tennis. Everything we can do to make life a little bit easier is just fantastic. In the end, it’s not about being blind or being handicapped, it’s how we think about it. So we have to do everything we can so everybody can live a completely normal life like we have. That’s why I love these kind of sports.”

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #155 on: November 4, 2016, 11:21:28 am »
The pre-Watford press conference and Jurgen has hinted he will leave LFC!!  :-X

"We try to create a situation where everything around is perfect so if the manager changes then the club still has a good base."
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline vallapureddy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: November 4, 2016, 11:35:30 am »

"We try to create a situation where everything around is perfect so if the manager changes then the club still has a good base."
Right after another 5 years!! :P :P

Online LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #157 on: November 4, 2016, 11:42:02 am »

Dont scare me like that! nearly shat my pants

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #158 on: November 4, 2016, 11:42:37 am »
Dont scare me like that! nearly shat my pants

;D

Offline MNAA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2016, 04:48:25 am »
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/my/features/inside-jurgen-klopps-liverpool-secrets-reds-german-genius

Inside Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool: the secrets of the Reds' German genius

The rock-and-roll football maestro has got the Reds pressing to his beat. So can he turn the club’s ambitions up to 11 and put them back on their perch? Oliver Kay dug deep for the October 2016 issue of FourFourTwo
by
Oliver Kay

Jurgen Klopp likes a party. That much became clear to Liverpool’s players on their way back from Vicarage Road, Watford, on December 20 last year. They had wondered if their manager, seething at their display in an abject 3-0 defeat, might cancel the Christmas party that was scheduled for that evening. Most had assumed and even hoped that he would. Nobody was in the mood.

To their surprise, Klopp insisted the party must go ahead. More than that, he issued a three-line whip, attendance compulsory. His players, his staff and their partners all headed to the Formby Hall hotel that night with a feeling that they would rather be doing almost anything else. When everyone was present, Klopp took the microphone. “We are all disappointed, but the game has gone now,” he told them. “Right now, this is our priority. I don’t mind whether you drink, but no one leaves here before 1am. Whatever we do together, we do as well as we can – and tonight that means we party.”

So party they did. And Klopp, according to those present, was the life and soul, heading straight to the dancefloor with his wife, Ulla, and by all accounts displaying some surprisingly nimble footwork for a big man, albeit let down by a little too much clapping. He did not stop smiling all evening and, soon enough, that infectious grin began to spread to his players. As 1am approached, nobody was clock-watching. Instead, players, partners and staff alike were involved in a dance-off, with the wretched display at Watford put firmly to the backs of their minds.

A few days earlier, Manchester United’s Christmas party had been cancelled by their players. They sensed, perhaps correctly, that neither the United fans nor manager Louis van Gaal would want to hear of the squad revelling in the festive spirit so soon after tumbling out of the Champions League, while also in the midst of a dreadful league run that brought consecutive defeats by Bournemouth, Norwich and Stoke.

Importance of togetherness

He believes that a team should behave like a band of brothers, winning together, losing together and certainly partying together at the right time

Christmas being cancelled has become a regular part of the Premier League narrative, with Harry Redknapp and Alan Pardew among those to play Scrooge in recent years. But Klopp, two months after his arrival in England, preferred to take the opposite approach. The party, he felt, was even more important considering what had happened that afternoon at Vicarage Road.

If they had done their homework on Klopp, Liverpool’s players would not have been quite so surprised. He had played exactly the same card in Germany 12 months previously. Stuck in the worst period of his coaching career, with his Borussia Dortmund team unthinkably finding themselves just one point off the bottom of the Bundesliga halfway through the season, he was determined that they head into their winter break in happier spirits. He sent a text to his players: “Don’t think for a moment that this is optional. No exceptions. Everyone comes.”

The alternative, Klopp concluded in both cases, was that the players would go home separately and sulk – and he does not believe in sulking. He believes that a team should behave like a band of brothers, winning together, losing together and certainly partying together at the right time. The word “together” features prominently in his English lexicon. “If we stay together and go this way together then it’s a bright future for Liverpool,” he said towards the end of last season, which ended with a deflating defeat by Sevilla in the Europa League final in Basel.

As for the atmosphere at the pre-planned post-match party at their Basel hotel? You’ve probably guessed. It started like a wake, with many of the players facing up to uncertainty over their futures as the summer began, but the mood picked up with a few drinks and then soared dramatically after Klopp called them into a huddle on the dancefloor and said: “Two hours ago you felt like s**t. Now hopefully you all feel a bit better. Listen: this is just the start for us. We will play in many more finals.”

With that, he started singing, “We are Liverpool, tra la la la la”. His players joined in the sing-song and immediately the mood was lifted. He’s that kind of manager. He leads. His players follow.

Turning doubters into believers

On his first full day as Liverpool manager, on October 9 last year, Jurgen Klopp shared with his players the diagnosis that he had reached from a distance, watching from afar in the weeks before he took the reins from Brendan Rodgers.

“At this moment, all of the LFC family is a little bit too nervous, a little bit too pessimistic, a little bit too much in doubt,” he said. “The atmosphere in the stadium is good, but nobody is really enjoying themselves. They don’t believe at the moment. They only see five years ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago. You are winning and then you hear, ‘Well, the defence is a problem.’ We have to make a restart. It’s a really important thing that the players feel the difference from now on. We have to change from doubters to believers.”

Doubters? From day one, every single Liverpool supporter believed in Klopp. Nowhere in English football, perhaps, is the cult of the manager stronger than at Anfield. Both Gerard Houllier and Rafael Benitez were worshipped even before they had won a trophy, let alone afterwards; Benitez, of course, ended his first season with the Merseysiders as the mastermind of that most unlikely Champions League triumph. But three months earlier, he had won just 13 of his 27 league games in charge – and had recently suffered a chastening FA Cup defeat at the hands of lower-league Burnley – when his gold-framed portrait was venerated as it was carried around the streets of Cardiff on 2005 League Cup Final day.

Kenny Dalglish (for obvious reasons) and Brendan Rodgers received varying degrees of the Messiah treatment before finding that they could not deliver what was expected and hoped of them. With the exception of Roy Hodgson, who was the wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time, no Liverpool manager in the difficult past couple of decades could have any qualms about facing resistance on arrival. Klopp, refreshed after seven mostly wonderful years at Borussia Dortmund, was just the latest new manager to find himself cast as the man to lead Liverpool back to the promised land.

Easier said than done. It’s one thing for an incoming manager to lift the mood on the terraces and the training ground, but Klopp inherited a dysfunctional squad, and with the transfer window closed and the fixtures coming thick and fast, he had limited scope in trying to improve it. His high-intensity gegenpressing tactic brought spectacular dividends in Dortmund but this is not Football Manager, where you can toggle a switch and get players to start pressing the opposition in the way you demand.

Different circumstances

He was not going to turn that Liverpool team into Dortmund overnight, or indeed without making significant changes to his squad

At times, his Dortmund team ran more than 120km on Champions League nights, outrunning and overwhelming more illustrious-looking opponents; however, that did not look feasible with the demoralised Liverpool squad he inherited in October 2015.

These things take time – and time on the training ground was something that Klopp didn’t have in a season which featured 63 matches in four competitions, including runs to the finals of the Europa League and the League Cup. He was not going to turn that Liverpool team into Dortmund overnight, or indeed without making significant changes to his squad, which he determined would have to wait until the summer.

From the start, Klopp had the feeling that something at Liverpool was, as someone close to him put it, “a little bit broken”. He believes that a football team lives off positive energy, off heart and soul – and he didn’t sense anything like enough of it at Melwood or at Anfield. There were occasions when Liverpool hit remarkable heights: in the Premier League they beat Chelsea 3-1 and Manchester City 4-1 and 3-0, also thumping Everton 4-0 in the Merseyside derby; in the League Cup they thrashed Southampton 6-1; and in Europe they saw off Manchester United 2-0, Villarreal 3-0 and Dortmund 4-3 (the latter, an astonishing comeback). But with these spectacular peaks came an alarming number of troughs; a series of limp defeats that had Klopp pulling his hair out.

Belief in the manager was unquestioning, from the terraces, from the dressing room and even the boardroom, perhaps for the first time since Fenway Sports Group bought the club in 2010. Klopp, though, wasn’t quite so content as his first season in England headed towards its denouement.

A thrilling run to the Europa League final papered over several cracks. Victory in Basel would have disguised them even more, but as it transpired, the frailties were laid bare by Sevilla in a torrid second half. Liverpool had crumbled under pressure. This team still did not bear Klopp’s hallmark. It was going to be a long summer.

Endless running
Klopp sometimes calls for three training sessions in a day: one in the morning and two in the afternoon – or, much worse, one in the afternoon and two in the evening

If there was one cause of dissatisfaction in the Liverpool dressing room during Klopp’s first few months in charge, it was his training schedules.

In recent seasons players across the Premier League have grown wearily accustomed to double sessions, but Klopp sometimes calls for three in a day: one in the morning and two in the afternoon – or, much worse, one in the afternoon and two in the evening.

Now, suddenly, Liverpool’s players were being asked to adjust to different training patterns from one week to the next. In the build-up to night matches, they would train in the evenings, to condition their bodies to peaking at the right time of day. Circadian rhythm training, it’s called. It makes perfect sense – but footballers tend to prefer the routine of a fixed training regime. You don’t mess with players’ routines unless you're confident they will see and embrace the potential benefits.

Klopp’s first training session at Liverpool last October ended with Portuguese youngster Joao Teixeira being sick (he has since left the club) and another two players doubled up in pain. Some have wondered, at times, if they are being pushed a little too hard. The familiar figure of Raymond Verheijen, the outspoken Dutch fitness coach, frequently took to Twitter to blame the Liverpool manager for the spate of injuries his team suffered over the course of last season – a “classic mistake” in trying to inject too much intensity too soon. Even Frank de Boer, upon taking charge of Inter, suggested Klopp should have “slowed down” the introduction of his pressing tactics.

When Klopp took his Liverpool squad to California in July, he pointedly declared that it was not to be regarded or described as a pre-season tour. It was not a ‘tour’. They were to play matches in Los Angeles, San Francisco and St Louis in the International Champions Cup series, but, he said repeatedly, this was a training camp. It was to be intense. He's brought in a new head of fitness and conditioning: Andreas Kornmayer, a Klopp lookalike who worked under Louis van Gaal, Jupp Heynckes and Pep Guardiola at Bayern Munich. Klopp creased up with laughter when Kornmayer warned the players that he’s going to work them harder and get them fitter than ever before.

Intensity in all aspects
Players are challenged tactically, as the manager and his assistants, Zeljko Buvac, Peter Krawietz and Pepijn Lijnders, take them far from their comfort zone

At their training camp at Stanford University, California, the consensus among several of Liverpool’s players and staff was that none of them could recall such an intense, rigorous pre-season workout at any of their previous clubs.

It was far more than a boot camp, though: as well as getting Kornmayer to put their bodies to the test, Klopp wants to sharpen minds. Players are challenged tactically, as the manager and his assistants, Zeljko Buvac, Peter Krawietz and Pepijn Lijnders, take them far from their comfort zone. They had four pre-season games before departing for the States, beating Tranmere, Fleetwood, Wigan and Huddersfield all in away matches without conceding a goal, but then it was time to do some serious work on the training pitch.

Outside of training sessions, the mood is a little more relaxed. Klopp wants to see smiles and hear laughter when his players are together. And as merciless as his training regime might appear, as studious and physically rigorous as his pre-season was, there is a light-heartedness to it.

His playful headlocks are recognised and enjoyed as a sign of approval. “On the training pitch, he’s very affectionate and has a laugh and a joke,” Adam Lallana said in May. “People speak about the hugs he seems to give everyone, but sometimes it can mean a lot to a player. It can make you feel wanted and it shows he appreciates the hard work you’ve just put in. He demands hard work. He demands 100 per cent.”

That is why Mamadou Sakho was sent home from the training camp. Klopp often refers to ‘Mama’ with affection, but the manager was enraged when the French defender arrived late for check-in for the flight to San Francisco, then missed a rehabilitation session and showed up late for a team meal. Sakho also made the mistake of interrupting a Klopp interview during the squad’s tour of Alcatraz. That did him no favours, but Klopp’s frustrations were primarily with the player’s timekeeping. He explained: “We have some rules and we have to respect them. If somebody doesn’t respect them, or gives me the feeling he is not respecting them, then I have to react, that’s all.”

Back at Stanford University, the team’s focus was frequently on gegenpressing, Klopp’s trademark high-intensity version of the pressing game. It requires a determination not only to win possession in the opposition half but to do so in a concerted, calculated manner, closing down both the man in possession and any potential outlets, and then looking to strike immediately through quick, incisive attacking football when the opponents are at their most vulnerable.

They go through those drills again and again: the transition from defending to attacking to scoring. As the training camp went on, the moves became quicker, slicker and more incisive. Klopp would stand on the touchline, arms folded, becoming ever more impressed by what he was seeing. He didn’t need to say too much at that stage. The mantra comes from Pepijn Lijnders: “If we win the training, we win the football.”

A coach, a manager and a director of football rolled into one

FSG prefer a model in which the coach trains and picks the team but recruitment and long-term strategy is determined by committee

Among the movers and shakers at Fenway Sports Group, Liverpool’s owners, there has long been a sense of bewilderment at the trust and power invested in ‘soccer coaches’ in England. Drawing on their experience with Major League Baseball outfit the Boston Red Sox, FSG prefer a model in which the coach trains and picks the team but recruitment and long-term strategy is determined by committee.

Brendan Rodgers struggled with that. Even during that exhilarating 2013/14 season, as Liverpool came so close to winning their maiden Premier League title while playing some thrilling football, there was the feeling around Anfield that the manager and the club owners were trying to pull in different directions. Even when Rodgers signed a new and improved contract in May 2014, there were areas of friction. The following season, after the sale of Luis Suarez to Barcelona and amid the difficulties in integrating several new signings who were felt to be more the committee’s choice than Rodgers’ own, results started to deteriorate and the relationship drifted towards breaking point.

Not everyone at Liverpool was convinced in the autumn of 2015 that Jurgen Klopp would be the right fit for the FSG model. But at his job interview in New York, he relayed his experience working under Michael Zorc at Borussia Dortmund and spelt out to Liverpool’s owners and investors that this model would suit him perfectly on Merseyside – providing that the levels of expertise were up to the standards that he expected.

The German also expressed great approval of their transfer strategy; even in that first meeting he was enthusing about how he would get the very best out of Emre Can and Roberto Firmino, two players FSG had expected Rodgers to integrate into his team more quickly.

Klopp has quickly forged a close working relationship with Mike Gordon, the FSG president, who held perhaps the most influential voice on the transfer committee during Rodgers’ tenure. Gordon was previously regarded within the club as ‘de facto director of football’, but he's been happy, based on the evidence so far, to give more power to Klopp. FSG have quickly come to regard the 49-year-old as a coach, a manager and a director of football rolled into one.

Perfect match
Dortmund suited him and so do Liverpool – a historic, blue-collar club that perceives itself as being built on a powerful relationship between team and fans

This summer, the sweeping changes to the backroom staff, the modifications behind the scenes at Melwood, the vast majority of the transfer activity and even a few adaptations to the design of the training kit were all Klopp-driven. In early July, less than nine months and 13 Premier League wins into the job, he was offered a new six-year contract.

He signed it with little hesitation. Klopp always wanted to be certain that he picked the right club after seven happy years at Signal Iduna Park. He was sure that he had found it – and his employers were more than sure that they had found the right manager.

Klopp would probably bristle at the suggestion that he could manage only a certain kind of club, in a certain kind of city, so maybe it is better put in other terms: Borussia Dortmund suited him down to the ground and, on that basis, so do Liverpool – a historic, blue-collar club that perceives itself as being built on a powerful relationship between team and fans, taking on the more aristocratic clubs at home and in Europe.

When Klopp announced his intention to leave Dortmund for a new challenge, it was hard to imagine him at Bayern Munich or Real Madrid. “It wouldn’t make sense for him to be the manager of the prevailing power,” says Neil Atkinson of the Anfield Wrap podcast. “He seems to need this sort of challenge. I couldn’t see him at a Barcelona or a Real Madrid or even an Arsenal. He wants the kind of club where football is the lifeblood of the city. That’s what it’s like in Dortmund and Liverpool – possibly Manchester, too. Other cities have a different dynamic.”

There’s a perception of how a Liverpool boss is supposed to be and especially sound – which is generally presumed to be a 21st-century reincarnation of Bill Shankly. Houllier, Benitez, Dalglish and Rodgers all, in different ways, tried to live up to that image, but the ‘man of the people’ spiel comes more naturally to Klopp, who can wear a Beatles T-shirt to a press conference without looking as if he is trying too hard. “I love how Liverpudlians live football; the history around it,” he says – and, even if he is preaching to the converted, you sense he means it.

"I think he believes in that nebulous concept of ‘the people’,” says Atkinson. “He believes in the power of a crowd. He believes in that bond between players and fans. We saw it after the West Brom game very early on [a scrappy 2-2 draw at Anfield], where he got the players to come over as one and applaud and… almost celebrate the result. Some of the fans weren’t sure about that, but it was about him and the players thanking us for staying with them – rather than people leaving early, which he had pointed out when it happened a few weeks earlier – and trying to strengthen that bond. I think the crowd responded.”

“I feel there's a power at this club,” Klopp said in a press conference towards the end of last season. “I felt it when we played Dortmund at Anfield. I believe there are some clubs who are always more likely to win trophies than other clubs. I felt it for the first time when I was at Dortmund. Michael Zorc [BVB’s sporting director] told me not to worry when Bayer Leverkusen were breathing down our necks at the end of one season. He said they would not win because Leverkusen never win, and that Dortmund are a club that wins titles. I feel that at Liverpool as well, and I think the supporters do, too.”

Working hard and playing harder
Every manager is a workaholic these days but, whereas most prefer one side of the job or the other, Klopp insists on being on top of everything

Do you ever stop working? The question is often asked of Jurgen Klopp. Every manager is a workaholic these days but, whereas most prefer one side of the job or the other, Klopp insists on being on top of everything.

It looks all-consuming, such is his commitment to micro-managing people and moods as well as micro-managing tactics and details. Add to that the particular challenges of managing Liverpool – managing and meeting supporters’ expectations, managing upwards as well as down – and it sounds even more exhausting. He’s relentless in his work. And, as his players discovered last December, he likes to play hard, too.

He makes one concession to fatigue. Every evening, on returning from Melwood to his Formby home, Klopp goes for a power nap – sometimes for more than an hour, but never for more than two. Then, it's said, he wakes up reinvigorated, and when there's an evening left to enjoy he does so.

He and his wife like to go out walking with their beloved dog, Emma (a collie-retriever cross named after the late Lothar Emmerich, the Dortmund striker of the 1960s), on Formby beach and in the woods nearby. He and his coaching staff like to drink or eat in the town’s pubs and restaurants. Locals sometimes see Klopp and his coaches playing table tennis and darts. They’re not short of energy or joie de vivre.

The Liverpool hot seat has been known to exhaust managers. The circumstances behind Kenny Dalglish’s abrupt resignation in 1991 were markedly different, following the emotional trauma of the Hillsborough disaster and its aftermath, but Graeme Souness and Gerard Houllier suffered serious heart problems during their respective missions to restore the club to pre-eminence; Benitez was driven to distraction by energy-sapping internal tensions; Hodgson seemed to find it more pressurised than the England job; Dalglish returned full of vigour in early 2011 but looked severely jaded by the Luis Suarez affair and a great deal else by the time he eventually departed at the end of the following season; and even Brendan Rodgers went from being boundlessly optimistic to downbeat during a difficult third campaign.

No time for mind games
Managing Liverpool, it seems, is demanding enough without being coaxed or goaded into public or private spats with rival managers

Klopp, like many of his predecessors, believes in throwing himself whole-heartedly into almost every aspect of the job, but there are some things on which he prefers not to waste energy.

One of them is the “media game” of being drawn into spats with rival managers. Klopp has no interest in that. Some remarks he made about the transfer market, explaining why he didn't believe in investing sums close to £100 million on a single player (“because the game is about playing together”) were willingly interpreted by the media and Jose Mourinho as a thinly-veiled attack on Manchester United for their pursuit of Paul Pogba.

Mourinho hit back, saying that certain other managers would never have to contend with such dilemmas because they did not manage “one of the top clubs in the world”. Reporters waited for Klopp’s riposte. “I’m absolutely not interested in what other clubs are doing,” the Liverpool manager said. “There’s completely no point.”

Managing Liverpool, it seems, is demanding enough without being coaxed or goaded into public or private spats with rival managers, let alone with your employers. It's a lesson that some former Reds bosses learned the hard way. Klopp is certainly susceptible to fits of rage, as anyone who has scrutinised his disciplinary record at Dortmund would recognise, but he knows what is a good use of his energy and what is not. The job is difficult enough as it is. If he starts picking battles at Liverpool, he's determined that they will only be those worth waging.

A sign of things to come – or another false dawn?

The away dressing room, Emirates Stadium, August 14, 2016. It's been a difficult first half for Liverpool in their season-opener against Arsenal, but a spectacular free-kick from Philippe Coutinho levelled the scores at 1-1 on the stroke of half-time. As his players sit down, sipping from energy drinks, Klopp has a very specific message. “You are fitter than Arsenal,” he tells them. “Go and show it. If you show it, we win.”

Within 18 minutes of the restart, Liverpool are 4-1 up, the result of a stunning purple patch in which the fluidity, speed and movement of the visitors’ attacks – particularly for Adam Lallana’s goal and Coutinho’s second – encapsulate almost everything Klopp has been working towards. The match ends 4-3, too tense for comfort, but it's an intoxicating afternoon for Liverpool supporters, who delight in the opportunity to heap familiar early-season misery on Arsene Wenger.

A sign of things to come? Or yet another false dawn for a club that has gone 26 years without winning the league title? Klopp ridiculed the idea that, in one afternoon, Liverpool had proved anything to anyone.

That evening, though, a statistic emerged. Over the course of 90 minutes at the Emirates, Liverpool’s players were reported to have run 117.6 kilometres – the highest figure measured in the Premier League in the seasons since such records began. On the first day of the campaign – a day when Wenger echoed dozens of other managers up and down the land in saying that his own team were “not ready” – that seemed extraordinary.

No trophy in football was ever given out for running further than the opposition, but, for Klopp, it's one of the first things he looks out for in a detailed post-match analytics briefing. Energy, stamina, the determination to go the extra mile – and to do all that running in the right places, as they certainly did against Arsenal – adds up to a solid foundation for any performance.

Eight months on from the Watford debacle, he and his players headed north again in considerably higher spirits. Their standard for the season had been set on day one. They will play hard, at the right time, but more than anything under Jurgen Klopp, they will work hard. Do that, he tells them, and the sky is the limit.

This feature first appeared in the October 2016 issue of FourFourTwo magazine

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 04:54:42 am by MNAA »
coitus will occur