Author Topic: Xabi Alonso, the most impressive Premiership import to date?  (Read 12322 times)

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
Xabi Alonso, the most impressive Premiership import to date?
« on: August 19, 2004, 07:10:38 pm »
As bold as the above question may appear to be, let me explain.......

Since the Premiership came to be in 1992, possibly the most notable difference from the old football league that has come to pass has been the presence of the "foreign import". Some have been good, others bad, but at the top end of the market  it can't be denied that English football has benefited from some of the most talented players in the world. Henry, Vieira, Cantona, Schmeichel, Bergkamp and Van Nistelrooy to name just a few, all "Galacticos" in their own right.

So why would the transfer of Xabi Alonso eclipse the aforementioned superstars?

Well, out of all the above mentioned, there are 3 Frenchmen, 2 Dutchmen and a Dane. The French have typically always travelled. You just have to look at how many players in their national side play abroad for testimony to this. The same has always applied to the Dutch (Cruyff, Van Basten, Rijkaard etc) and the Danish (Simonsen, Elkjaer, the Laudrups).

Ahh, but what about imports like Zola, Ravanelli, Vialli, Gullit and Desailly, after all they've have had glittering and very well decorated careers?

Well what about them? Impressive players indeed, but all came over towards the autumn of thier career for one final big paycheck in what was allegedly referred to as the FA Carling Premier Retirement Home by certain Italian agent.

Even Cantona only ended up on these shores because no one in France would touch him with a barge pole, a player passed from club to club to disciplinary hearing.

It has also been something of a safety net to a few players who have "flopped" in Serie A. Henry, Bergkamp and Vieira all having suffered from either having a battered or non- existant reputation before flourising under the genius that is Arsene Wenger in his Highbury Rehabilitation Centre.

If you look at other big money imports into England you will see names like Juan Seba Veron (Argentine, already established in his national side, and a big hit in Italy), Ruud Van Nistelrooy (Dutch, move to England benefitted his career, none of the big Spanish or Italian clubs in for him), Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast, a great season for Marseille but has one season wonder written all over him) and whoever else is flavour of the week at Stamford Bridge.

But I've yet to recall a transfer of a native player from a "big league" to England who is only in the early stages of his career and is so highly rated in their own country. Not one Italian or Spaniard has made that imaginative and courageous leap. The two countries' large clubs have always jealously held onto their best young players.

Imagine for a moment Wayne Rooney turning down a move a Manchester United, and instead signing for Barcelona. That's the equivalent of the Alonso move.

You could throw the case of Jose Antonio Reyes into the mix, Arsenal's sparkling young replacement for Bergkamp. Then again, Real Madrid weren't the competition for his signature, Arsenal had been nurturing his transfer since he was 17, and Arsenal's transfer fee includes the majority based on future success/appearences. Alonso is also further advanced on the national stage.

It says an awful lot about Alonso that he is brave enough to make this move at this stage of his career, on the verge of taking over as first choice in the heart of the Spanish midfield, because as has been seen with Reyes, it can jeopordise your international prospects moving abroad.

It also (again) reflects well on Senor Benitez. Make no mistake, this is a hell of a catch and illustrates the regard in which El Boss is held in his native country.

Now for an even bolder statement, this time from Alonso himself.

"When it came down to a choice between Madrid and Liverpool I chose Liverpool."

How impressive are those words?

I could just stand back and admire those words like one would admire a picture of Penelope Cruz sans bra and panties, and that's a lot of admiration.

Not a week passes lately without an increasing feeling of optimism, optimism and pride. It's a pride that comes from when the President of another club waxes lyrical about YOUR club, despite you buying its best asset. It's a lesson that some "bigger" clubs may want to take notice of, phrases like "transparency" and "future vision between the clubs" hardly smacks of backhanders and tapping up does it?

Also it's great how quietly have we gone about our business, in the summer, a paupers club some people would have you believe.

Show me a pauper that can spend upwards of £25million in a summer and still be in the market for "the right" players. Granted we have got rid of some dead wood, but that's still an impressive amount spent, yet it doesnt seem to have registered in the offices of Trinity Mirror or Sky, unlike the new media darlings of "The Bridge" where it seems the solution to not being headline news isn't to win a match, but to spend a ridiculous amount of money on an average defender. If Abrahmovic wants to throw his money away, let him, we'll concentrate on spending it wisely under Rafa.

It is indeed a good time time to be a Liverpool supporter again

Anyway, I'll leave you with this little gem ...

El que la sigue, la consigue

Hala Benitez!

© kaizer sauze 2004
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 08:21:04 pm by Rushian »
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline Coyney

• Anny Roader
Re: Xabi Alonso, the most impressive premiership import to date?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 07:21:41 pm »
well first of all good post. Benitez must be very highly regarded in spain maybe the same as wenger is here do you think? Because xabi alonso is a great buy especially with scummy real snifing around. But Im sure he will flourish under benitez and hopefully a great partnership with the god for yeras to come.
O danny boy

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Re: Xabi Alonso, the most impressive Premiership import to date?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 08:04:16 pm »
excellent post mate - I'm racking my brain to try and think of a player in his prime who has come to England ... Zola was probably the youngest at 28ish and even he had been usurped in the national team.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 08:11:10 pm »
Klinsmann ?

He was class.  I don't know how old he was when he first went to Spurs, but he was deffo a regular in the national side (and what a side).

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 08:17:41 pm »
Klinsmann ?

He was class.  I don't know how old he was when he first went to Spurs, but he was deffo a regular in the national side (and what a side).

I think he was 30 when he first dive bombed into White Hart Lane, but yeah, agreed, great player
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 08:20:06 pm »
But ... but ... but ...

Where is that quote about preferring LFC to Real from?

Has there been official confirmation Alonso has signed?

Have I been asleep for a week and missed all this?

And I think you're playing with your definitions a little to make your point. Ronaldo, Reyes, Mutu, Mourinho's Portuguese signings, Kezman, Robben ... they all preferred to come to the UK rather than stay or more elsewhere. And to paint Drogba as a one season wonder? I think those words will come back to bite you on the arse.

Offline Aidan_B

• Legacy Fan
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 08:22:01 pm »

I think he was 30 when he first dive bombed into White Hart Lane, but yeah, agreed, great player

Just checked and he was 30 (and they only bought him from Monaco).  I thought he was younger because he went back there, but by then he was really old I guess.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 08:22:46 pm »
Low, he has said his goodbyes to Sociedad, so he must be signing for Everton.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 08:25:14 pm »
And I think you're playing with your definitions a little to make your point. Ronaldo, Reyes, Mutu, Mourinho's Portuguese signings, Kezman, Robben ... they all preferred to come to the UK rather than stay or more elsewhere. And to paint Drogba as a one season wonder? I think those words will come back to bite you on the arse.

Wasn't the point that most of those others are not spaniards or italians coming from their home leagues and as far as Drogba, he is actually only a one season wonder so far, whether he comes good for chelsea or not isn't relevant, its what he is atm.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 08:28:21 pm »
But ... but ... but ...

Where is that quote about preferring LFC to Real from?

Has there been official confirmation Alonso has signed?

Have I been asleep for a week and missed all this?

Yeah, your right

could have made it a little clearer,  when i meant "big league" i should have said Premier League, Serie A or La Liga

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 08:31:33 pm »
The gist of kaizer's post Low isn't that great young players haven't come from the itinerant wandering nations of football (Mutu and Kezman from Romania and Serbia, Kezman from Holland, Drogba effectively French would belie that fact) but it's the prising away of an absolute jewel in the Spanish crown, Spain and Italy being parochially possessive in keeping hold of their players.

If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

hoonin

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 08:41:34 pm »
A good read, but flawed in many places mate!

It has also been something of a safety net to a few players who have "flopped" in Serie A. Henry, Bergkamp and Vieira all having suffered from either having a battered or non- existant reputation before flourising under the genius that is Arsene Wenger in his Highbury Rehabilitation Centre.

What  about players who have come over here, been a relative failure then left or retuned for better days in the Italian league? Jon Dahl Tomasen and Marco Matteratzi immedialyely spring to mind.

This can be down as much to failings within a team or its management as it is a flaw in a players ability. In fact, consider Dennis Bergkamp as an example....

Bergkamp is one of the finest players of our generation and for me is without doubt the best player from overseas to grace the English league in the last 10 or 15 years. Its a little unfair to class him as a failure in Italy when you consider his Inter team failed miserably whilst he was there and have continued to do so since he left. He went to from an attacking Ajax team into a defensive setup at Inter. The whole team was not geared to his style of play.

Bergkmap in a skillful attacking Ajax team = wonderful players
Berkkamp in a hugely talent and attacking Holland team = wonderful player
Bergkamp in a defnisvie minded underachieving Inter team = fairly anonymous player
Bergkamp in an attacking Arsenal team = wonderful player

Were the problems he experienced at Inter his own fault, or symptomatic of the team?

Offline Rashid

• 99% of posts are bullshit, the other 1% get deleted. Unloved, unwashed, and untidy.
  • Main Stander
  • Resident Dog
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 08:43:41 pm »
Juan Veron and now Xabi Alonso are the only 2.

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 08:49:02 pm »
Low, he has said his goodbyes to Sociedad, so he must be signing for Everton.

Hadn't seen that, Jon. Thanks. I'd heard Moyes was about to open the big blue chequebook though ;)

Wasn't the point that most of those others are not spaniards or italians coming from their home leagues

Yes, but I still think that's up there with statistics as far as misleading goes. It might be true, but it's not conclusive evidence of anything. If a world class striker in his prime like Mutu chooses to leave Serie A for Chelsea, or if Carvalho and Ferreira choose to leave the European Champions to join Chelsea, then  that's just as impressive as anything we're achieving.

And though it's easy to say it's just about the money, I think we have to be a bit more reasonable and say that those guys could have good money in La Liga or Serie A too, and consider the possibility that they joined Chelsea because they see the chance of being involved in a team that will come to rival the greats of Europe.

That said, of course, if Alonso comes to Anfield, then it's clearly a testament to LFC, to Benitez and to the belief he can inspire in one of the best players of a generation.

and as far as Drogba, he is actually only a one season wonder so far, whether he comes good for chelsea or not isn't relevant, its what he is atm
GPWM. I didn't read it that way. But you're right.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 08:49:43 pm »
Veron was Argentinian.
Tomassen was Danish.
Materrazzi is an obscure example at best.

Remember what kaizer is saying is this is the first transfer of a young highly regarded Spaniard or Italian.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2004, 08:50:20 pm »
A good read, but flawed in many places mate!

What  about players who have come over here, been a relative failure then left or retuned for better days in the Italian league? Jon Dahl Tomasen and Marco Matteratzi immedialyely spring to mind.

This can be down as much to failings within a team or its management as it is a flaw in a players ability. In fact, consider Dennis Bergkamp as an example....

Bergkamp is one of the finest players of our generation and for me is without doubt the best player from overseas to grace the English league in the last 10 or 15 years. Its a little unfair to class him as a failure in Italy when you consider his Inter team failed miserably whilst he was there and have continued to do so since he left. He went to from an attacking Ajax team into a defensive setup at Inter. The whole team was not geared to his style of play.

Bergkamp in a defnisvie minded underachieving Inter team = fairly anonymous player
Bergkamp in an attacking Arsenal team = wonderful player

Were the problems he experienced at Inter his own fault, or symptomatic of the team?

Granted, although had he been a total success at Inter, or even a moderate success in a succesful team, i doubt they would have sold him, anyway i digress, the point i was getting at was it is unheard of for a native player from the 3 top leagues to move abroad when they may have equally good or better options at home.

For Bergkamp also see Henry

Offline Rashid

• 99% of posts are bullshit, the other 1% get deleted. Unloved, unwashed, and untidy.
  • Main Stander
  • Resident Dog
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2004, 08:51:51 pm »
Veron was Argentinian.
Tomassen was Danish.

Remember what kaizer is saying is this is the first transfer of a young highly regarded Spaniard or Italian.

Roberto Di-Matteo at Chelsea.

Offline Aidan_B

• Legacy Fan
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2004, 08:53:18 pm »
Wasn't Maccarone remarkably highly rated ?

(Again feel free to correct, I don't get bothered by learning from my mistakes)   :wave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004, 08:53:58 pm »

Roberto Di-Matteo at Chelsea.

To be fair, not regarded in the class of players discussed above

Anyway, the opening title was indeed a question, and therefore one that was thier to be answered, its a testament to the quality of the level of intelligence on this fora that the answers have been so eloquent and knowedgable

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2004, 08:57:23 pm »
Wasn't Maccarone remarkably highly rated ?

(Again feel free to correct, I don't get bothered by learning from my mistakes)   :wave

AC Milan
Modena
Prato
Varese
Prato
Empoli
Boro

Good player, but one who's reputation was exagerrated over here after a good under 21 tourny.

Offline Cardie

• Has severe hair-trigger and adores Aberdare
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2004, 09:00:08 pm »
Veron was Argentinian.
Tomassen was Danish.

Technically the first would be Allesandro Pistone!
.Ok, now you've stopped laughing, not long before leaving Italy to sign for Newcastle he was tipped as a future Italy international with some tipping him as a future captain. He was right up there as prospects go, probably on a par with Bonera now.

Offline Cardie

• Has severe hair-trigger and adores Aberdare
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2004, 09:26:10 pm »
I'd also say Reyes is a perfectly valid example.

Like Arsenal Real had watched Reyes for years and only the fact that they spent so much cash and had so many players they didn't need or want would have stopped them making a bid.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2004, 09:29:23 pm »
I'd also say Reyes is a perfectly valid example.

Like Arsenal Real had watched Reyes for years and only the fact that they spent so much cash and had so many players they didn't need or want would have stopped them making a bid.

Also, dont be at all if surprised if Liverpool now become the most watched English team in Spain, as we now have 2 of thier favourite sons, and the interest will be phenomenal
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 11:00:43 pm by kaizer sauze »

Offline enoder

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • One Wool
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2004, 02:36:54 am »
Nice read,

I'd have to agree with the title.

looks like our signing philosophy is the same but slightly different, the same in the fact that we are purchasing talent for the future, but it has at least been to the water hole and back once.

I hope we never have to see another EHJ again

Offline MightyReds

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2004, 06:51:41 am »
Now for an even bolder statement, this time from Alonso himself.

"When it came down to a choice between Madrid and Liverpool I chose Liverpool."

A good read. But I tends to disagree with this quote. Not that I doubt alonso intention, it's just that in the money mad footballing world nowadays, players' word can be taken as a pinch of salt. Given if Madrid come in with a substantial bid, package together with a nice wage deal, I would like to see what his reaction is. We all see that in Viera case, although he professed his love for arsenal by rejecting a move to madrid, we know the issue of a lower wage deal is the sticky point.

Anyway, I would welcome him with both hands, and what a master stroke by Benitez.
"In my time at Anfield we always said we have the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves" - Bill Shankly

Duncan Morris

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2004, 08:46:42 am »
Your comments regarding yound players making the leap from foreign soils to our own... no mention of a certain cristiano ronaldo. There's only one Ronaldo!

Offline Olly

• Sees greatness from his sofa
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2004, 09:13:11 am »
Cracking read mate - really enjoyed that. Thanks.

But Gareth, how many more times can you spell Bergkamp?

;D
If you keep one eye on the past, you are blind in one eye. Yet if you forget the past, you are blind in both.

mike pennington

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2004, 10:23:55 am »
Sorry, too early to say.

Read similar articles before about the arrivals of Di Matteo, Juninho, Veron.

Or in Scotland about Gattuso or Arteta.

Don't get me wrong. Great signing - but most impressive import? Not yet anyway.

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2004, 10:51:15 am »

As aidan says all the top serie A clubs wanted the young Massimo Maccarone after his goals had earned a "smaller club" promotion into Serie A but he chose Middlesboro .... FOR THE MONEY. I love the spirit of Andy's article but the cynic in me says we offered Alonso MORE MONEY than Real...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2004, 11:39:14 am »
Your comments regarding yound players making the leap from foreign soils to our own... no mention of a certain cristiano ronaldo. There's only one Ronaldo!

He's Portuguese, and nothing special  ;)

red-syd

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2004, 02:38:06 pm »

Ronaldo is PANTS!

Offline LFC GAN

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2004, 12:41:00 pm »
Kaizer who have jumped the gun mate, there is no validation to say that Alonso is the most impressive purchase of prodigious youth from his home country and main league.

Reyes is without doubt a more reputable purchase than Alonso -
Mutu though foreign was coveted by a hell of lot more clubs than Alonso
Madrid never offered anything for Alonso - apart from making an enquiry 3 MONTHS ago
Madrid taking Beckham, Owen and Woodgate makes the Alonso signing look 3rd division in comparison
Ronaldo from Portugal is still a far better player than Alonso - time will tell
Remember that Le Tellac and Pongelle were all coveted in France but chose to join LFC. Money is a big motivator

Just because you do well in one season in one league and are coveted by many teams does not mean that you will do well in the next season or in another league. Remember that Form is temporary, but class is permanent. Bergkamp being the perfect example to this fact.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2004, 01:12:40 am »
Fantastic
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

marty

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2004, 04:38:52 pm »
Kaizer who have jumped the gun mate, there is no validation to say that Alonso is the most impressive purchase of prodigious youth from his home country and main league.

Reyes is without doubt a more reputable purchase than Alonso -
Mutu though foreign was coveted by a hell of lot more clubs than Alonso
Madrid never offered anything for Alonso - apart from making an enquiry 3 MONTHS ago
Madrid taking Beckham, Owen and Woodgate makes the Alonso signing look 3rd division in comparison
Ronaldo from Portugal is still a far better player than Alonso - time will tell

Remember that Le Tellac and Pongelle were all coveted in France but chose to join LFC. Money is a big motivator

Just because you do well in one season in one league and are coveted by many teams does not mean that you will do well in the next season or in another league. Remember that Form is temporary, but class is permanent. Bergkamp being the perfect example to this fact.

madrid did make an offer of 8 million and were turned down

Offline cynicaloldgit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2004, 12:47:53 am »
It is also worth bearing in mind that Alonso wasn't exactly effusive when asked about Real Madrid's offer at the press conference on Wednesday.
"You can always lie to others, but never to yourself."

Offline Mcguyver

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2004, 04:41:17 pm »
Lets hope he turns out to be a decent signing for us and not a shit one.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2004, 09:43:07 am »
Hi,

A very nice read.

However I would say that Alonso will need to eclipse both Bergkamp and Henry to be considered the most impressive import.

Bergkamp was World class when he arrived and still starts regually for the best team in the country.

Henry, I remember watching him on the wing for some French side that escapes me and he was class. He was awesome. Cannot give enough praise for Wenger for signing him.

:)
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2004, 01:51:06 pm »
Hi,

A very nice read.

However I would say that Alonso will need to eclipse both Bergkamp and Henry to be considered the most impressive import.

Bergkamp was World class when he arrived and still starts regually for the best team in the country.

Henry, I remember watching him on the wing for some French side that escapes me and he was class. He was awesome. Cannot give enough praise for Wenger for signing him.

:)

Thought i would bump this up a bit, and guage the opinion 2 months down the line?

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2004, 01:54:18 pm »
He looks every bit the class act I thought he would be (and a bit more).

Still not up there with the great imports who achieved more over a longer period of time. But so far the signs are very promising for Xabi - he can join them.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2004, 03:43:45 pm »
I'm very impressed so far he's certainly made more of an impact in his 1st two months at LFC than Vieira did at Arsenal.