Author Topic: We Need To Talk About Touting  (Read 12381 times)

Offline Paullfc95

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: We Need To Talk About Touting
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2016, 01:25:44 pm »
I credit hunted West Ham away in the FA cup last season as it dropped to all members, I couldn't go as I was on a sunny holiday in the BVI. Turns out my ticket never turned up anyway, but still. It was possibly the only chance to get on the away ladder so I did it.
That will be because it was collection only

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2016, 01:31:58 pm »
Not at all and that's a generalisation from yourself. I actually love people from the area and have connections within Liverpool. I'm an OOT but have supported the club all my life and will attend as many games as I can a year.

I do get sick of all the comments about OOT getting tickets and coming to watch matches and this forum is full of posts about this. I was just pointing out that it appears to be locals selling tickets to these OOT people outside of the ground.

I totally agree with points that if someone has financial worries and they're offered an obscene amount of money for their ticket, then of course it would be hard not to sell it.

I actually think the £9 tickets for locals is a good idea.

At the end of the day you won't stop touts, or individuals selling on their tickets for inflated prices

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

I might have had my wires crossed a bit, I think I probably misunderstood some of your post.

Touting is a lot more complex than some realise.  If you buy from one directly outside the ground there's a decent chance that it wasn't him (or her - lets not generalise  :)) that bought it from the club.  There's the big business end of the market and there's the local scally end of the market. 

For example, you'll have somebody sitting at home (that could be anywhere) skimming all kinds of events.  You then have sites like Ticket Pad, who are not actually touting the ticket, but are acting as brokers by providing a market place for the touts.  Somebody goes onto the site and buys, the money is transferred to the tout and on top of that the buyer pays a commission to ticket pad or whoever.  That person who sold the ticket (not in all cases, but in some) is at the same time touting United, NFL games, concerts, etc.  So he needs scally's to do the legwork of handing out cards and collecting them and they take a cut of the money they've collected.

In other cases, the person at the top has bought them for say, £45 each.  He then sells them onto the scally end of the market for £80 each.  The scally end of the market then sell them on at say, £100.

Some at the 'scally end' will buy them from the club and act independently.  This is maybe only one ticket for every other match though.  I posted a customised LFC Bot on the other thread.  It was a bit silly of me to post it and it was rightly removed but I was showing people that they do exist.  To make a good living out of this you need at least one of these, you can buy 2 or 3 at a discount.  These are expensive and people at the 'scally end' don't have them.  You might already know how they work but if not, I'll give you an idea.  With 3 bots it's the equivalent at logging on with 1,500 different browsers open, you can customise these yourself to only go for specific parts of the ground.  They'll then automatically add an infinite amount to your basket, then you remove the tickets that you think will give you the least mark up.

We crossed over at the OOT / Scouse subject as well.  That's also a lot more complicated than some people think (I'll try not to ramble here or I'll go OT).  There are a small amount of 'extremists' who want Liverpool for Liverpool, full stop.  Then there's those who are worried that the Club is losing it's identity and want the ground to be 'more scouse'.  I think we need more scousers in the ground, that's not to say I don't sort out wools who appear to have some kind of (genuine) emotional attachment to the City or at least make the effort to at least try to understand the culture of the City.

I read your post and two very complex issues had been merged into one, and as I said, I think I had my wires crossed. 
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Grand Chilli

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2016, 01:32:09 pm »
This is the first year in a long time (for both logistical and financial reasons) that I've been in a position to try and buy tickets. I spent over three hours in the queue yesterday before getting through, and of course all were sold out. On a "normal" season, would I have been ok just in the all members sale??

Obviously in the long run I'd much prefer a title run than easy tickets, but it was a pretty dispiriting morning if I'm honest, when you know for a fact a large number of tickets are being hoovered up by touts or credit hunters. And a complete waste of £30 membership fee!

I did get to one game (Hull) on a hospitality ticket courtesy of a work client - I might have even considered that as a desperation measure if they weren't quite so expensive for frankly rubbish seats (right in the wing of the LC, 4 rows from the front)

Offline AP823

• Kopite
  • Ap Singh - @ApSingh823
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2016, 01:48:29 pm »
This is the first year in a long time (for both logistical and financial reasons) that I've been in a position to try and buy tickets. I spent over three hours in the queue yesterday before getting through, and of course all were sold out. On a "normal" season, would I have been ok just in the all members sale??

Obviously in the long run I'd much prefer a title run than easy tickets, but it was a pretty dispiriting morning if I'm honest, when you know for a fact a large number of tickets are being hoovered up by touts or credit hunters. And a complete waste of £30 membership fee!

I did get to one game (Hull) on a hospitality ticket courtesy of a work client - I might have even considered that as a desperation measure if they weren't quite so expensive for frankly rubbish seats (right in the wing of the LC, 4 rows from the front)

I think with the large number of memberships being sold, all bulk sales will be like this.

keep an eye on the late members sale, I know other fans who have been sorted in every single one so far this season.
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."
Rafa Benitez

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2016, 01:52:42 pm »
Why is someone 'obviously not going in the ground" if they are selling tickets outside?

They can just go in after they have sold their "spares".

See above post, it's complicated.

People do tout the spare and go in on another but it doesn't go on in a large scale.  In fact, it reminds me of my own scallying days where I'd 'mind' somebody's car (whilst at the match), leave 5 minutes early and go and collect my money to pay at the turnstile the following week.

Some people do tout to pay for their own match ticket.  But in the grand scheme of things it's not a lot.

If somebody has managed to get their hands on two tickets they're more likely to sell both and provide for the family (or get their beak for the night out) than use the other ticket to go in whilst their mates are watching it in the pub.

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2016, 02:24:17 pm »
I'm stone cold certain that bots were used in yesterday's free for all. All the regulars on here that do every members bulk sale had over an hour wait & were saying at 7:30 they knew it would be an hour beforehand.

Offline toonboy

• Main Stander
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2016, 02:50:11 pm »
guys, it is obvious that something big went down yesterday, some browsers queuing never made it to the front of the queue and just continued to infinity!! this was 100% hit by some big players using bots due to Liverpool doing so well at the moment, i had 8 browsers open and got nowhere, i tend to get in within 30 mins max even in the bulk sales.

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2016, 02:54:08 pm »
I was told by a senior person at the Club a while back that a lot was being done under the radar to tackle touting, but one of the biggest obstacles to what they wanted to to do was the opposition they knew they would face from SOS.

This world of everyone credit hunting because everyone else is at it, is absolutely crazy, but I don't think there is any will to change it.  Too many vested interests and the Club has nothing to gain and may even lose by removing artificial demand that stimulates sales.

I would love to be in a world where loyalty was a true measure of actual attendance.  Can you imagine?  The criteria for first dibs on away tickets would probably be way down around 7 rather than the 18 or 19 we see regularly now.   I actually do go to nearly all away games, and there are not that many "regulars" whose faces you spot all the time.  There are some aways with only a small minority of Scouse voices around which is definitely not normal.

I posted a few years ago about how you could make it work.  Some people suggested biometric scanners on entry, but one thing you cannot do is check id on entry.  Even the most modern systems are too slow.  What you can do instead is have loyalty registered inside the ground at any point from arrival until final whistle.

When I floated this previously, I suggested having devices in the ground which you go up to to register your attendance.  Given how quick and reliable finger print scanning has become for unlocking smart phones, it should be pretty quick to swipe your card, put your finger on a scanner and get your loyalty credit awarded.  I know some people get touchy about identity systems, but it's actually the only reliable way to stop touting.  You have to be able to prove who you are, and you have to be in the ground.  (There'd also be an argument for awarding credits to no-shows, since you probably didn't buy with the intention to pass on.  I missed one game because I was stuck on a broken-down train for four hours and I'd have been upset if I'd lost my credit as well.)

The Club also need to provide online ways of returning your ticket right up to kick-off where you get all your money back if it's resold whether you be a season ticket holder, a member or a non-member, so that people have no excuse for not doing so.

I think the long-promised season ticket amnesty needs to at least result in the Club knowing who will be using the ST for each game.  That could either be by having a family-and-friends type setup where the ST holder has to say onine who will be using it, with fair-usage limits (e.g. you can't just add new names willy-nilly).  Or they could insist on one person per ST and any games that person can't make having to be returned as now.  The latter is arguably fairer to those still stuck on the ST waiting list and more than willing to go to every game, but I doubt it would ever wash with SOS.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 02:56:11 pm by MKB »

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2016, 03:17:14 pm »
That will be because it was collection only
I had seven tickets delivered to my house as the lead purchaser.

If you work hard on late availability and get tickets where you can, you only need to get to 4/5 in a season to give you some priority over the rest, it just takes some dedication and effort. My mate had 5 from last season, then he had to leave the country. I've got his card onto 9 credits that I'll attend on this season, and could have had more in the first sale but just didn't have the capital in my bank to do  it.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2016, 03:25:06 pm »
I was told by a senior person at the Club a while back that a lot was being done under the radar to tackle touting, but one of the biggest obstacles to what they wanted to to do was the opposition they knew they would face from SOS.

This world of everyone credit hunting because everyone else is at it, is absolutely crazy, but I don't think there is any will to change it.  Too many vested interests and the Club has nothing to gain and may even lose by removing artificial demand that stimulates sales.

I would love to be in a world where loyalty was a true measure of actual attendance.  Can you imagine?  The criteria for first dibs on away tickets would probably be way down around 7 rather than the 18 or 19 we see regularly now.   I actually do go to nearly all away games, and there are not that many "regulars" whose faces you spot all the time.  There are some aways with only a small minority of Scouse voices around which is definitely not normal.

I posted a few years ago about how you could make it work.  Some people suggested biometric scanners on entry, but one thing you cannot do is check id on entry.  Even the most modern systems are too slow.  What you can do instead is have loyalty registered inside the ground at any point from arrival until final whistle.

When I floated this previously, I suggested having devices in the ground which you go up to to register your attendance.  Given how quick and reliable finger print scanning has become for unlocking smart phones, it should be pretty quick to swipe your card, put your finger on a scanner and get your loyalty credit awarded.  I know some people get touchy about identity systems, but it's actually the only reliable way to stop touting.  You have to be able to prove who you are, and you have to be in the ground.  (There'd also be an argument for awarding credits to no-shows, since you probably didn't buy with the intention to pass on.  I missed one game because I was stuck on a broken-down train for four hours and I'd have been upset if I'd lost my credit as well.)

The Club also need to provide online ways of returning your ticket right up to kick-off where you get all your money back if it's resold whether you be a season ticket holder, a member or a non-member, so that people have no excuse for not doing so.

I think the long-promised season ticket amnesty needs to at least result in the Club knowing who will be using the ST for each game.  That could either be by having a family-and-friends type setup where the ST holder has to say onine who will be using it, with fair-usage limits (e.g. you can't just add new names willy-nilly).  Or they could insist on one person per ST and any games that person can't make having to be returned as now.  The latter is arguably fairer to those still stuck on the ST waiting list and more than willing to go to every game, but I doubt it would ever wash with SOS.

This would be great and fair.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline AA3JM21

• Main Stander
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2016, 03:33:27 pm »
Something was definitely being done last season in regards to touting .. loads of peoples cards were being checked inside the ground & then subsequently taken by stewards.

Those who had their cards taken had to write a letter to the 'ticket touting investigation officer' explaining who and why other people had their cards.

The problem is people who had passed on to their friends/family were being penalised so I THINK the club dropped it after some complaints. Don't think they do the spot checks anymore do they?

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2016, 03:33:33 pm »

I don't understand that.  What was it what they wanted to do and why would SOS oppose it?  They don't have any direct communication with SOS, only via those members who are on SC.  How would they know that it would face opposition if they never liaise with them.

I think that's something we all want to see.  Before we had loyalty quite a few of our away games would go down to general sale.  Then again, to completely remove the loyalty would punish the people who aren't abusing it (including yourself).  It always used to be the case that you'd get people travelling to Boro one week, Southampton the next and then were unable to get a ticket for United or the Derby via the serial number lottery.  I think we all want a loyalty system based upon attendance rather than purchase but I've got no idea how we could make it happen.  What was it that the Club wanted to do when they assumed that SOS would resist?

The club have suggested retina scanning upon entry,  the SC (all of them, not just the 2 SOS ones) expressed concerns that some people wouldn't trust the club to hold this information for the right purposes.  I'm fairly sure there would be pressure from intelligence agencies to share this information. See my post above about a modern day version of the ticket stubb, where you get a receipt upon entry which you can redeem online for your loyalty points.  It's not a great idea but somebody might be able to build on this in a way that wont scare technophobes too much such as myself.

Agree.  SC already taken it to club that it should be easier for members to return tickets.

Completely wrong.  The amnesty has been promised to the SC after being brought up by SOS members.  We were told that it couldn't happen at the end of last season because people were being relocated in the new stand.  It's possible that it could be the end of this season but most likely the season after.  SOS are in favour and they pursued it.  The family and friend style set up was proposed by the Club to SC and brought back to SOS.  There wasn't much resistance.

Offline davidsteventon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2016, 07:46:48 pm »
My favourite bit of touting I witnessed was over for the Dortmund away. On the train to the ground. Liverpool fans and Dortmund. Was brilliant. Reds and Yellows talking. Brilliant. Heard a red talking to this German - great conversation - asked if he was coming over for return leg - the bloke said no ticket - the red said no worry I'll sell you a Kop ticket.

A KOP ticket! For an away fan!

Offline davidsteventon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2016, 07:51:38 pm »
Said this in the bulk sale thread. If you make something rare, people get desperate for it.

With all 19 homes for years, on Tuesday I was annoyed/upset not to get my spec in the kop. I still got kop, but felt annoyed.
Come Thursday with a big queue, I was less worries about spec, and more worried about getting a ticket - anywhere would have done.

I guarantee that for most games 50,000+ would not be arsed to attend without the commitment and obligation of the ticket already in hand. I imagine most have got better things to do some weekends. Pay on the gate/day isn't the answer bit I'm highlighting the fact that I honestly don't think 50,000+ could be arsed to see us play Burnley on a cold day if it was tomorrow and near Christmas.

Offline davidsteventon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2016, 07:53:15 pm »
Phone App. Linked to phone number. Like the Natwest App.

Easy to scan. Unique. Can't swap it out. Mechanism to assign elsewhere.

Most other stadiums have phone access - but do allow paper QR prints - defeating the above.

Offline corbyRed

• Kopite
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2016, 08:10:05 pm »
Return all your away ticket stubs to the club at the end of the season, otherwise the credit gets wiped.

Wouldn't get rid of touting but would certainly make it harder for touts. Would also make people think twice about who they pass spares onto if buying for loyalty