Author Topic: Luis Díaz (Luis Fernando Díaz Marulanda)  (Read 421014 times)

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Luis Díaz (Luis Fernando Díaz Marulanda)
« Reply #4440 on: April 10, 2024, 02:49:22 am »
It's more complicated. Wages matter more than fees, you could make a profit but end up losing more money later.
You have a player who will get 100k weekly from other teams because of his qauilty. You can keep him for the next two years even as a squad player at his peak years for a low salary. Why would you throw this because of 20m max ( the difference between selling him now or with one year left on his contract), it doesn't make sense.

It all depends on who they would eye up to replace and how much it would cost. They'd have to have someone in mind for them to even consider selling.

Offline Garlic Red

• Anny Roader
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #4441 on: April 10, 2024, 06:36:30 am »
Selling him would be stupid.

You don't sell a player with his qualities who is under contract for the next 3 years on such low salary.
Even if you want to bring a better player, you increase Diaz salary a little bit and make him a squad player then sell him with one year left on his contract. You gain nothing from selling him now, if he was on a huge salary it's a different story but he is not.

But what if, for arguments sake, PSG have contacted his agents and said there’s a big signing fee and potentially £300k per week available for him? Name any large figure but let’s just say he’s been offered a figure that’s really enticing. His agent is looking at our squad, who plays the most minutes? Who makes the most starts? He could at least make an argument he should be considered in the top 4-5 earners at the club given he’s about to enter his peak. Paying him wouldn’t be an issue like, I’m all for rewarding players who deliver on the pitch for us, but he’s at peak value now and you can bring in a big fee and avoid paying him, it makes sense if we could back ourselves to spend that money and salary elsewhere. I’m not sure “just keeping him” on the same salary is an option nor would a minor pay rise. Yes he’s under contract but it means fuck all really once he sounds out a move potentially giving him a huge pay rise.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #4442 on: April 10, 2024, 06:42:51 am »
If he’s off, good luck to him. I think he’s a class player but if we’re going to use the left sided player like we’ve used Diaz, I think we’d be better off looking for one that can cut in and play a killer ball better than he can. If we decide we want more of a Mane type it would be interesting to see who we go for.

Kvara would obviously be high on a lot of lists. I know he’s injury prone but Neto is such a good player I’m convinced he’s going to be world class. We’ve been burned by so many injury prone players but I’m ready to be burnt again. If we decide to go for more of a forward I’d love Leao but fear his inconsistency would drive us nuts.
Neto is made of uncooked pasta, he can barely make through a few months of just league football, imagine needing to compete in 4 competitions. Nope sorry he's not worth the risk and the expense, we need to stop throwing money down injury pits.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Garlic Red

• Anny Roader
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #4443 on: April 10, 2024, 07:14:32 am »
Neto is made of uncooked pasta, he can barely make through a few months of just league football, imagine needing to compete in 4 competitions. Nope sorry he's not worth the risk and the expense, we need to stop throwing money down injury pits.

I know, I know. But how many potentially world class players are there with 100-150 career games in England?

For me, the players we’ve signed from Premier League clubs/with PL experience have mostly been unbelievable signings. Mane, Salah, VVD, Jota, Mac Allister, Robbo and Gini were some of our best work and only Robbo didn’t hit the ground running. I can’t argue against his injury record, but I think we really need to look within the league if we’re to replace Diaz and/or Mo for at least one of the players we sign. I think he’s the best ‘available’ player but his injury record can’t be ignored. If it could be factored into the fee I’d be happy to see us try.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4444 on: April 10, 2024, 07:22:06 am »
It doesn't matter if Neto is the best available player. He should not even be considered. The guy played 55 games in total in the past 3 seasons. I would expect close to that in a single single season from any Liverpool player. As for Lucho, I think he is replaceable but I would only sell him for insane money. Mostly because we need less drama and more stability in a transitional period for the club.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4445 on: April 10, 2024, 05:27:52 pm »

wouldn't it be overcooked pasta? it falls apart and/or is mush?

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4446 on: April 10, 2024, 07:40:47 pm »
I'd be hesitant to move Diaz on, to be honest. Currently, I think he's the only one of our forwards at the moment that defenders are actively scared of. He's the guy capable of driving us 40 yards up the pitch by himself, which can shift the momentum of a game whenever we're under the cosh. It's a valuable trait. Defenders are too scared to put a tackle in because of what he can do to them if you give him an inch.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4447 on: Yesterday at 10:32:34 pm »
Really wish he’d beat a man, he’s like a crab comes deep, runs in the middle and passes to the right back. Fucking have a go.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4448 on: Yesterday at 10:37:40 pm »
His father can continue putting him in the shop window for Barca and Madrid as far as I'm concerned. If we're getting big money for him, I'd take it because he's no Mane that's for sure. He's a good player, but we need world class.

He's also part of the reason our counters are so poor, he's just not quick enough with the ball and by time he's made a decision, the opposition are already getting back into comfortable positions. Manes are hard to come by for sure, but I don't know, somebody with a similar profile to Mane would be good. Incisive, cuts inside, creates havoc, zonal marking excellent, comes back deep always in the right place adding bodies into midfield. Maybe football's moved on to a wider players like Diaz and maybe I'm just pining for the old days... but there has to be players out there who can just generally link up and be quicker in attack.

Offline DHRED

• Main Stander
« Reply #4449 on: Yesterday at 11:16:23 pm »
Really wish he’d beat a man, he’s like a crab comes deep, runs in the middle and passes to the right back. Fucking have a go.

He was electrifying when he first arrived

He has regressed from that significantly.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4450 on: Yesterday at 11:20:16 pm »
He was electrifying when he first arrived

He has regressed from that significantly.
He's still the same player we signed. Then the question mark was whether he could improve his numbers and that's still the case now. He's just no longer an unknown quantity.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4451 on: Yesterday at 11:24:59 pm »
I said in a different thread that he's a lot of noise and effort but not much result. Superb technique and you can't fault his workrate, but he hardly ever seems like a threat - doesn't stretch the back line, questionable decision making, average passing and finishing.

Selling him would make a lot of sense this summer, but we've ended up in a position where we are inundated with CF's and two wingers (one of which is a regressing Salah).

Offline collytum

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4452 on: Yesterday at 11:31:29 pm »
Might work well as a winger in a 442 with 2 good strikers in the box, but trying to replicate what mane offered is a hard task for anyone. We were spoilt with mane, Firmino and Salah in their prime, I doubt we will ever see anything as good again

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4453 on: Yesterday at 11:33:36 pm »
PSG and £75 million.

Yes please.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #4454 on: Today at 01:11:14 pm »
I thought he would thrive against a man-man defense, being able to isolate and beat his man more easily than against a zone defense, but he looked completely lost.

Great talent, but still a bit frustrating to watch.