Author Topic: How many points would you expect in the next 5 league games - 2014/15 edition  (Read 98148 times)

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
Our position in the league doesn't really allow for a realistic points total. So we will need to play above ourselves...but that being said, the sheer lack of goals probably prevents us from having the dream run.

8-9 If we don't beat West Ham. Beating them and then getting Sturridge back could kick us on.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
4 of those 5 are above us in the table. Serious test it is going to be. 10 would be decent, but we need 13 and above if we want top 4.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
21-25

Sunderland (A) <> 3p
Aston Villa (A) <> 3p

... so far.

I think we're capable of taking 15 from 15 here, but with a touch of realism I'd expect 11 from 15.

West Ham (H) <> 1p
Everton (A) <> 1p
Tottenham (H) <> 3p

9 league games unbeaten run would certainly build confidence, and more so if we do well in the cups too.

Assuming we wanted 10 from each block, that's 11 points we need to make up. If we got 15 points from this block of five that would put a big dent in it. Leaving us 6 to make up

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
I think if we can get 3 points this weekend then from there on I think we will do pretty well and maybe get 11 points in total.

West ham will be a physical test, but I think we should have enough against them Spurs and Everton if we play with the same effort. A draw with city and southampton as well should see us into the top 5 and possibly higher.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
After running a lot of numbers, using all concepts of my recently finished data science course, applying all kinds of trend analyses and correlating our season's form with our expected line-up  - below are the definitive point projections for next 5 games:

West Ham (H): 3
Everton (A): 3
Spurs (H): 3
Southampton (A): 3
Man CIty (H): 3

Expected Total: 15
Std Dev. - NIL

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
To win games you need to score goals....we'll dominate every one of the next 5 games and look great and continue to improve...and draw 2, lose 2, win 1
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
To win games you need to score goals....we'll dominate every one of the next 5 games and look great and continue to improve...and draw 2, lose 2, win 1

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
We have to get probably 11 or 12 points out of the next 5 games. It will be tough when you factor in cup games and probable injuries. The first half of the season has cost us 4th place.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
We have to get probably 11 or 12 points out of the next 5 games. It will be tough when you factor in cup games and probable injuries. The first half of the season has cost us 4th place.

What are the probable injuries?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
What are the probable injuries?

Whatever injuries we are bound to get with so many matches in so many days.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
Whatever injuries we are bound to get with so many matches in so many days.

It's a risk, but it's not probable. It depends more on what we do in between the games.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
It's a risk, but it's not probable. It depends more on what we do in between the games.

Its what i meant, its very much possible. To be honest even with no further injuries i still feel our realistic expectation of top 4 has gone.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
Its what i meant, its very much possible. To be honest even with no further injuries i still feel our realistic expectation of top 4 has gone.

Probably. But we still have to try to get as close as possible, if for no other reason than to be in Europe again next season

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Probably. But we still have to try to get as close as possible, if for no other reason than to be in Europe again next season

Well we will see. If we dont get 11 or 12 points from the next 5 then i reckon we will start to rest players in the league to keep them fresh for the Europa if we get past Beşiktaş.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Well we will see. If we dont get 11 or 12 points from the next 5 then i reckon we will start to rest players in the league to keep them fresh for the Europa if we get past Beşiktaş.

If we continue our good recent form and keep Sturridge fit I think we have a great chance in the Europa league. I'm with you on the league, I'm not saying give it up but 4th is very unlikely.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

On that note Spurs getting through tonight isn't a bad thing. If they win it and finished in a Europa League qualifying position in the Premier League then the next place down would get one. Likewise Chelsea are clearly making top 4 so if they win it there will be an extra spot through the League too.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Do we want Europa though?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

Me, yeah if it was that or no Europe. I'm probably old fashioned though.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Me, yeah if it was that or no Europe. I'm probably old fashioned though.

Yeah but we know what Rodgers can do with no European distractions, if you can call it a distraction.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
On that note Spurs getting through tonight isn't a bad thing. If they win it and finished in a Europa League qualifying position in the Premier League then the next place down would get one. Likewise Chelsea are clearly making top 4 so if they win it there will be an extra spot through the League too.

Rodgers needs as many European campaigns as possible so he can learn quickly what does and doesn't work in terms of his training and rotations. If he wants to be a top manager, he has to be prepared for 3-4 games per week, every week. The Europa isn't as prestigious, but it has much of the same schedule demands that he can learn from.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Rodgers needs as many European campaigns as possible so he can learn quickly what does and doesn't work in terms of his training and rotations. If he wants to be a top manager, he has to be prepared for 3-4 games per week, every week. The Europa isn't as prestigious, but it has much of the same schedule demands that he can learn from.

But we are competing against some pretty formidable squads with deeper pockets. That in a romantic viewpoint shouldnt phase us but in reality if it does give us a tangible advantage then maybe its more beneficial in the short term?

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
plus, let's f*ckin win it!

Offline Cork Red

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96

If you win the Europa now you qualify for the Champions League.  I reckon we have as good a chance of winning it as we do of finishing top 4 in the league.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
If you win the Europa now you qualify for the Champions League.  I reckon we have as good a chance of winning it as we do of finishing top 4 in the league.

This season yeh. But next season maybe its better for us seeing what we can do in the league.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
But we are competing against some pretty formidable squads with deeper pockets. That in a romantic viewpoint shouldnt phase us but in reality if it does give us a tangible advantage then maybe its more beneficial in the short term?

In the short term, yes. But then what do we do when we get into the Champions League again, and then our form in one competition or the other suffers because Rodgers hasn't figured out how to play the schedule? The experience would be beneficial long term, for both he and the players. I would prefer a European campaign than none at all.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
We hold our own faith in Europa. In the league we can win every remaining game and still miss out on top 4th.
Seen us win everything

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
In the short term, yes. But then what do we do when we get into the Champions League again, and then our form in one competition or the other suffers because Rodgers hasn't figured out how to play the schedule? The experience would be beneficial long term, for both he and the players. I would prefer a European campaign than none at all.

Obviously just because we mounted a league challenge last time wont mean we definitely would challenege again with no europe. But its just a thought about maybe it being our best chance for the league?

That said, we wouldnt have Suarez or Gerrard so maybe that perfect storm was just a one off.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
Who would want a european trophy in the cabinet.
Seen us win everything

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Who would want a european trophy in the cabinet.

Rather challenge for the league.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
that's the Tottenham spirit.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
that's the Tottenham spirit.

It aint.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
As in 4th place or 1st place? You've gone mental if you think we can win the league.
Seen us win everything

Offline plskikme

• Kopite
  • What Could Have Been and What Can Be
We're more likely to win a Europa cup than the league so sign me up. There's no guarantee the benefit of extra preparation will allow us to hit the heights of last season even if it means better performance.

Even with 15 points we'll still be 4 points behind 2 points per game and it's unlikely 2 of Southampton, Utd and Arsenal drop the 8-11 points required for us to get into the top 4 (even while ignoring West Ham and Spurs). However, in the unlikely event we manage to do this, it'll leave a relatively easier run of fixtures for us to grab that spot.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
Dont understand why most of you are writing us off for 4th. When United beat us, we were 10 behind them. They were on a proper run. Fast forward a month, and we are only 5 behind, ever improving. We havent been sensational, yet we are clawing back, and we have the most lethal English striker to return. Yes it is difficult, but I cant see us getting beaten in any of these games if we play at the level that we have been. We have a slim chance of 4th, but then last January, when we entered new year in 4th place, none of us gave ourselves a chance to go on that epic run either.
One game at a time, and let us focus on converting the good performances into wins. And fucking hell, our current spell of good form has come without even a striker in our eleven. I think the only difference is someone who can bang them in.
Anything around 12 points or above, and we will have done amazingly, with only Arsenal away, United home and Chelsea away being the big games between then and the end of the season.

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
There are 16 games to play offering a total of 48 points. To realistically expect 4th we need about 36 more points. So we can likely drop about 12 at most. Dropping anything more than 4 from the next 15 (so 2 draws) will likely hurt us quite a bit.

I see possibly 13 points.

Offline plskikme

• Kopite
  • What Could Have Been and What Can Be
Dont understand why most of you are writing us off for 4th. When United beat us, we were 10 behind them. They were on a proper run. Fast forward a month, and we are only 5 behind, ever improving. We havent been sensational, yet we are clawing back, and we have the most lethal English striker to return. Yes it is difficult, but I cant see us getting beaten in any of these games if we play at the level that we have been. We have a slim chance of 4th, but then last January, when we entered new year in 4th place, none of us gave ourselves a chance to go on that epic run either.
One game at a time, and let us focus on converting the good performances into wins. And fucking hell, our current spell of good form has come without even a striker in our eleven. I think the only difference is someone who can bang them in.
Anything around 12 points or above, and we will have done amazingly, with only Arsenal away, United home and Chelsea away being the big games between then and the end of the season.

We're Liverpool, we always stand a chance. But comparing our past 5 and next 5 fixtures and form plays a much smaller part. Add that to the need to go on a winning streak rather than remain unbeaten to make up the points on 4 teams and it becomes that much more difficult. Nothing's written in stone yet but we are going to be sorely reliant on Sturridge to get the goals consistently.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
4th place is not looking likely for us I agree, barring some sensational consistancy in our results or sensational fuck ups by more than one team above us! But we should always do the best we can regardless in the league so if we're not getting 4th we need to be as close to it as possible.

Hell of a run of fixtures coming up....if we manage 13 out of 15 in the next 5 it could well be the crazy sort of form we need

Also. I want to win Europa. This year and whatever year we enter it!
Good practice for Rodgers juggling the squad for different competitions, which EVERY manager has trouble with no matter whether they are experienced or not so he may as well get used to it if we are to be going places and....well....im just one of those fans that want us to win everything we are in.

Mad i know!
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
Let's have a go at this.

West Ham (H) - West Ham are good but have gone a bit off the boil. Also we'll be out for a bit of revenge. 3 points.
Everton (A) - The derby always seems to be a leveller, but whereas we are definitely on the up, Everton are still treading water. 3 morale-boosting points.
Spurs (H) - We've had too many fantastic days against Spurs lately, that run's bound to come to an end soon. 1 point.
Southampton (A) - Southampton are going all the way. Could be a very tense game. 1 point.
Man City (H) - We'll be fired up for this like we were for the LC semi, and Man City aren't as good as Chelsea. 3 points.

So 11 points. I'd bite your hand off for 11 points from the next 5 games though, so perhaps I'm being a little overoptimistic overall...

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
West Ham - 1
Everton - 3
Spurs - 3
Southampton - 1
Man City - 1

Didn't realize how tough our run was actually, we really need to beat West Ham to be on the safe side

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan