Author Topic: Preview: Oldham Athletic v Liverpool - FA Cup 4th Round - 27/01 -k/o:16.00  (Read 53116 times)

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
Liverpool make the 43 mile journey to face Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park in the FA Cup 4th Round on Sunday.

v   

The game will be televised on on ITV for UK viewers.   Kick-off is at 16.00.

The sides met in the 3rd round at Anfield last season, with the reds running out 5-1 winners after going behind courtesy of a sensational Robbie Simpson volley.  However, goals from Craig Bellamy, Steven Gerrard, Jonjo Shelvey, Andy Carroll and a first Liverpool goal for Stewart Downing saw Liverpool safely through to the 4th round.

Despite Oldham Athletic currently languishing in the lower reaches of English football, older Liverpool fans will remember the early 90's when Oldham were an established Premiership outfit, who on a few occasions had some very good cup runs, twice reaching the semi-final of the FA Cup, only to lose against Manchester United on both occasions and League Cup Finalists in 1990, where they lost 1-0 against Nottignham Forest at Wembley Stadium.

In 1994, Oldham were just 60 seconds away from reaching their maiden FA Cup Final, only to concede a last-minute injury time goal to a Mark Hughes volley for Manchester United.  Oldham would eventually lose the replay 4-1.
Athletic fell to pieces after that heartbreaking result and failed to win another league game all season which led to relegation from the Premier League.

These days, they play in League 1, but have struggled this season, and have not managed a victory in their last 7 league games; losing 6 and drawing 1. 
Currently just 4 points (this was written before Tuesday evening's game against Notts County, which is subject to a pitch inspection on Tuesday morning) above the relegation zone, having played a game more than their rivals, Athletic may welcome the FA Cup as a distraction from a difficult league campaign.

The sides last met at Boundary Park 19 years ago in 1994.   Liverpool took 3 league points as they triumphed 3-0, with second half goals from Julian Dicks, Robbie Fowler and Jamie Redknapp.

Oldham will look towards 20 year-old Jose Baxter, who has found the back of the net 9 times this season, to provide the fire-power in front of Liverpool's goal.  The young striker from Bootle left Everton in the summer despite receiving a new contract offer, to seek first team opportunities elsewhere.
Baxter is no stranger to the FA Cup and was an unused substitute for Everton in the 2009 FA Cup Final.

Liverpool made it in to the 4th round courtesy of a hard-fought and controversial win against Mansfield Town in the previous round.  Brendan Rodgers' side was given an almighty scare against the plucky Stags which should serve as a warning against Oldham on Sunday. 

Rodgers may resist the temptation to make wholesale changes as he did against Mansfield, but may have half an eye on the Premiership fixture against Arsenal at The Emirates 3 days later.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks to Ash Rose for this!
Yep.

Offline craig2812

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Thanks for the preview Ash 
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared
to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

Offline Kicked_Into_Touch

• Kopite
hope we absolutely batter this lot....nothing against them, but i'd love another 5-6 goals against someone, in the same fashion as against norwich....

also would love sturridge goal streak to carry on!

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Nice one!

Whenever I think of Oldham I recall Iain Dowie, Football Focus and him washing the kits as they couldn't afford a kit man such were their troubles a while back.

This will be a battled contest I think. Oldham will want to go for it and take a premiership scalp and I find these fixtures in the cup a real treat. I think Brendan knows they'll  be up for this so will go for a strong team.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 04:23:39 pm by Harinder »
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
Hoping the squad players can be given a run out

Something like this would be boss:

Jones

Wisdom Carra Coates Robinson

Allen    Henderson

Shelvey

Suso       Borini       Sterling

Just doubtful whether if Hendo should be playing. Want as much of the first 11 to be very well rested and raring to go against Arsenal. On the other hand, a performance like against Norwich again and maybe a goal or an assist will see Hendo going into the Arsenal game on fire, which will be boss because him Lucas and Gerrard could have their midfied, which looked dogshite against Chelsea's.

Anyhow, really hope that none of Gerrard/Suarez/Agger/Johnson/Lucas are tired out needlessly in this one. A nice clean 3-0 will do here, thanks.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
We have seen that Brendan takes these games fairly seriously and he will start with a strong(ish) side,  but we have a few players who could get a game - the likes of Coates, Flannagan, Robinson, Shelvey and Suso.

If the middle and front 3 for the Arsenal game are Lucas - Gerrard - Henderson, and Downing - Sturridge - Suarez, then the likes of Allen, Sterling and Borini could also start.

We could have the big boys on the bench if needed.
Doubters to Believers

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
Flannagan had a knee operation recently, did he not?
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Kicked_Into_Touch

• Kopite
i wouldnt change too much other than some of the obvious ones like gerrard.

- can see skrtel coming in with coates (will be interesting thinking of who will be the CB pairing for arsenal, carra didn't put a foot wrong)
- allen should definitely get into the midfield - he needs a game he can build a bit of form/confidence in, and they're only going to get harder for the next few weeks
- shelvey almost nailed on for this match, IMO
- think borini should feature heavily, but also would love more of suarez and sturridge, if only for a part of the match

in any case, i think we've more than enough to move players in and out but still keep things going, but we shouldnt miss the opportunity to continue building momentum.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks for that Ashley.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline LondonRedMan

• wants to donate to RAWk because a kindly mod took away his nasty CT.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
Re: Preview: Oldham Athletic v Liverpool - FA Cup 4th Round - 27/01 -k/o:16.00
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 05:22:10 pm »
If I recall correctly, this was the team in which we had a racial controversy a year or two ago. Hope we can do a joint program with this team against racism before the match

As for the game. let's play confident football but make sure we scout them well as not much is known about them

I think resting Suarez nd playing Borini, Sterlo and Sturro as the front three as Sturro is on a good run, Borini needs game time and Sterlo needs a game against a smaller team to start rebuilding confidence

Online Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 05:28:13 pm »
Nice one!

Whenever I think of Oldham I recall Iain Dowie, Football Focus and him washing the kits as they couldn't afford a kit man such were their troubles a while back.

This will be a battled contest I think. Oldham will want to go for it and take a premiership scalp and I find these fixtures in the cup a real treat. I think Brendan knows they'll  be up for this so will go for a strong team.
Whenever I think of Oldham, I think of Mancs. Hope we batter them. I love it when we batter Mancs.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 05:30:53 pm »
If I recall correctly, this was the team in which we had a racial controversy a year or two ago. Hope we can do a joint program with this team against racism before the match

There were some allegations made during the game last season by Oldham's Tom Adeyemi, which were, upon investigation, unfounded.   However, it didn't stop certain "journalists" from using it as a stick to beat Liverpool FC with, so as nothing was proven against the club, or the fans in question, I didn't include it in the preview as I don't see the point in raking it all up again.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 05:36:24 pm »
No chance of Ibe starting, I think. Yesil might get a sub appearance but the wing forwards will be Suso and Borini with one of Sterling or Luis starting. Brendan will not forego a chance to progress by shielding a weak attack. Sturridge will be rested as he is still getting back to full fitness.

Offline Atho44

• Main Stander
  • Bow in the presence of the King. King Kenny.
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 05:38:04 pm »
Hope we win convincingly, no doubt Oldham will be up for it though, the crowd will be 100% behind them, so should be a good atmosphere. They'll be motivated by the reserve tie we had last season. Hope we respect them though and play a strong side, so 4-1 Liverpool.
My Twitter - @Andy_Atherton1

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 06:06:55 pm »
There were some allegations made during the game last season by Oldham's Tom Adeyemi, which were, upon investigation, unfounded.   However, it didn't stop certain "journalists" from using it as a stick to beat Liverpool FC with, so as nothing was proven against the club, or the fans in question, I didn't include it in the preview as I don't see the point in raking it all up again.

Thanks for the information. It just goes to show there is more hooha about 'controversies' but the reporting of the aftermath and subsequent  investigations are always less vocal/noticeable

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 06:09:34 pm »
No chance of Ibe starting, I think. Yesil might get a sub appearance but the wing forwards will be Suso and Borini with one of Sterling or Luis starting. Brendan will not forego a chance to progress by shielding a weak attack. Sturridge will be rested as he is still getting back to full fitness.

Actually I see this as an opportunity to rest Suarez and allow Sturridge a half to help him get more game time plus to help him get 4 in 4

Will be interesting to see how BR handles Sturridge. Remember Sturro hasn't been playing much over the last year so he will be chomping at the bit to get games

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
Preview: Oldham Athletic v Liverpool - FA Cup 4th Round - 27/01 -k/o:16.00
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 06:25:08 pm »
I'm in the hospitality suite for this, apparently it's a portacabin. That's not a joke btw.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 06:30:00 pm »
The FA have provided them with a bubble of hot air to protect the pitch from the elements this week.

I thought Fergie was off to Dubai.......
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 06:55:31 pm »
Great preview mate.  I remember that Mark Hughes goal that earned Man U a replay like it was yesterday.  It was for me the start of the Man U habit of getting those late late goals.  Oldham have fallen so far since that day, it's hard to believe they were once in the prem.

As for the game I value consistency and would like to avoid wholesale changes.  Perhaps stick with Jones and then maybe throw Coates in and Allen for Gerrard.

Would quite like to see Henderson, Lucas and Allen as the midfield 3, but I reckon Lucas may get rested.

Up front would enjoy a bit of Borini, Sturridge and Sterling, with Suarez available to come out if we are in trouble.  It's a tough one to call in terms of first XI because we have Arsenal 3 days later and Man City 4 days after that.

Offline thom

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 06:59:51 pm »
I hope we'll do better than against Mansfield.

Would be great to see Borini, Coates, Suso and Shelvey in the starting lineup.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 07:05:09 pm »
Need to take this very, very seriously if we're to come away with a win. We don't really want to be going back to Anfield so I'm hoping the Manager, the Club and the Players take this competition as seriously as it deserves.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 07:23:08 pm »
Does anyone know when Enrique is likely to be back?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 07:27:56 pm »
Does anyone know when Enrique is likely to be back?

11th Feb, according to PhysioRoom
Better looking than Samie.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 07:36:39 pm »
Good OP Ash thanks for that , start with a strong line up score a few then get the key players off, Suarez and Sturridge up top
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 07:43:57 pm »
We have Arsenal away 3 days after this so doubt we will be full strength. Rest the key lads who have played all season and give some of the squad players a run out.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 07:53:17 pm »
We have Arsenal away 3 days after this so doubt we will be full strength. Rest the key lads who have played all season and give some of the squad players a run out.

Yep. that's what's terrifying me. After our capitulation in the League Cup, the idea of us just giving up and going out in this round really would upset me. You wonder what is going on with our game when clubs can't even be arsed with the domestic competitions - trying to make out they are worthless. Some might say that Liverpool fans called the League Cup "Micky Mouse" - except that we've won it more than anyone. Horrifies me what people think is important nowdays - finishing in a league position rather than going for silverware. Never been able to get my head round it. Doubt I ever will. I'm a fan - not a businessman. I couldn't care about how much cash something brings in. I care about my club doing well, competing and going for silverware. We're unlikely to keep a run going in the league but a good cup run would cement Rodgers in the minds of many fans. Going out in this round will likewise set more fans against him.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 07:55:26 pm »
Yep. that's what's terrifying me. After our capitulation in the League Cup, the idea of us just giving up and going out in this round really would upset me. You wonder what is going on with our game when clubs can't even be arsed with the domestic competitions - trying to make out they are worthless. Some might say that Liverpool fans called the League Cup "Micky Mouse" - except that we've won it more than anyone. Horrifies me what people think is important nowdays - finishing in a league position rather than going for silverware. Never been able to get my head round it. Doubt I ever will. I'm a fan - not a businessman. I couldn't care about how much cash something brings in. I care about my club doing well, competing and going for silverware. We're unlikely to keep a run going in the league but a good cup run would cement Rodgers in the minds of many fans. Going out in this round will likewise set more fans against him.

Very rare but you are spot on with this one.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 08:13:39 pm »

As for the game. let's play confident football but make sure we scout them well as not much is known about them

I think resting Suarez nd playing Borini, Sterlo and Sturro as the front three as Sturro is on a good run, Borini needs game time and Sterlo needs a game against a smaller team to start rebuilding confidence

Fuck off with this shit. The allegations were unfounded and no charges were brought. There is no fucking reason whatsoever why LFC should get involved in anything of the sort before this game and leave itself open to more hypocrisy and un-truth from the media.

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 08:48:22 pm »
I went to the game the last time we played at Oldham in January 1994.  It was fucking freezing as it will be on Sunday, no doubt.
Oldham are having a dreadful run in the league at the moment, and we should be very strong favourites even with Rodgers resting many of the regular starters.
People from Oldham aren't Mancs; it's like calling somebody from St Helens a scouser. 

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 02:27:19 am »
great op mate.  just like the last cup game i think this one is going to be a battling performance.  i would like to see a mix of youth and experience (we have all season i guess) while we rest key players like agger, johnson, lucas, gerrard and suarez.  i would like to see jones, mclaughlin, carragher, skrtel/coates/wisdom, robinson, allen, shelvey, suso, sterling, borini, sturridge.  sturridge hasn't played too many minutes since being here really and could do with another 50-60 mins or so before the arsenal and city games.  i'd have suarez on the bench just in case too :).

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 03:45:22 am »

No one's talking about giving up here. All the formations I've seen posted are packed full of internatinal players who should easily be good enough to beat Oldham. Suarez and so on will be on the bench just in case, just like against Mansfield.
But we'll need our best players to be as fresh as possible in the harder game 3 days later, not to mention the Man City away game 4 days after that.

Offline Lenstar

• By Royal Appointment
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 04:40:34 am »
I think we will see sturridge start, prob play 60ish minutes so that he continues to build his match fitness. Although on paper it should be a simple task this, Oldham will be well up for it and we need a solid performance, get the job done early as possible

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 04:56:57 am »
I wouldn't risk any key player to start (maybe on the bench, at most). I'd written the season off before it began as a transition/adapting season but seeing as were going decent in the league at the mo, I'd focus big time on that.

Besides, a fair number of second string players need the minutes and should be strong enough to win the game.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 11:33:50 am »
Oldham's game away at Notts County will go ahead tonight following a pitch inspection.

Lee Probert will referee the FA Cup match against Liverpool on Sunday.

Offline TarkaLFC

• Main Stander
  • Valour is superior to numbers.
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 02:21:16 pm »
Suarez seems to like to play each and every game, so I think he'll play.

Suspect Wisdom may get a rest (given he's likely to play the Arsenal and Manchester City games).  A chance for the impressive Ryan McLaughlin perhaps?

Agree with those suggesting Suso should play.  Hopefully at 10.  If he's not gone somewhere on loan already.
Currently living overseas.

Offline kevin87

• Kopite
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 02:39:16 pm »
------------------Jones-------------------
Wisdom----Coates---Carra-----Robinson
----------Allen----Henderson-------------
---------------Jonjo----------------
----Suso-----Borini-----Sterling

Great intro!! Love those ones where you really learn about the old teams of the past!

I think that will be the starting line up but wouldn't mind seeing some of the 21's in the squad. Maybe Suso in the #10 with Pacheco out wide? Or Coady/ texiera getting some minutes for Henderson after  60 minutes? The 21's have been playing great, and if they are not going to get a loan move then they need to be rewarded with 1st team appearances in games like this.

Offline TitanTrigger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 02:44:18 pm »
Anyone got any idea what the pitch is like at Boundary park?

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 02:48:07 pm »
Borini to start with Sturridge replacing him after an hour, please.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 02:49:04 pm »
I think at least one of Gerrard, Suarez or Sturridge has to start, they are the only big goal threats we have in the team.

I'm encouraged by Sterling though, he's been doing well lately infront of goal, think he has 3 now too.

Borini is a threat but he needs to score too. I'd probably play the following:

Jones

Wisdom     Carra      Coates         Robinson

Allen
             Suso              Shelvey
Sterling                                           Borini
                      Sturridge

I'm yet to be convinced by Shelvey, he's over hyped and I'm sometimes upset about how badly he retains possession.  I'd like to see Suso given a chance there with the likes of sturridge ahead of him to see what he's like with that kind of space. So I think a midfield with a lot to prove.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?