Author Topic: Spyin' Kop - Portsmouth away (FA Cup) 29th January  (Read 6086 times)

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Spyin' Kop - Portsmouth away (FA Cup) 29th January
« on: January 26, 2006, 07:55:48 pm »
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:00:15 pm by blurred »

Offline Ianjaig

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • "We had Heighway on the wing..." BEEP BEEP!!
Re: Spyin' Kop - Portsmouth away (FA Cup) 29th January
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 08:24:41 pm »
Dan Taylor: The best way of looking at the situation is to compare it to splitting up with a girl you once loved because she’d slept with someone else. You might eventually accept her back but there will always be an element of doubt and mistrust.

Some excellent replies from the Pompey fans there – although I thought he was talking about Steven G there for a minute  :-X

Who do you rate from your new signings?
"Mendes looks the best of them..."

Seen him play live a few times and was always quite impressed. Surprised he didn’t make it at Spurs but given their glut of midfielders I guess someone had to go. Will be a good signing for them I suspect.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 08:26:44 pm by Ianjaig »
Bill Shankly to a Liverpool fan:
"Where are you from?"
"I'm a Liverpool fan from London."
"Well laddie . . . . What's it like to be in heaven?"

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 08:33:23 pm »
Nice one, ta for that read.
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 10:37:02 pm »
Fantastic mate. I know the effort that goes in to these.

I'm not a big fan of Portsmouth, but those guys seem OK.

Top, top article.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 10:40:18 pm »
Strong feelings from the guy who still refers to Redknapp as 'Judas'.

Nice work Gareth.

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 10:59:53 pm »
Intresting read thanks for that. ;)

Offline Lanky

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 05:06:22 am »
 Class of 2006 pales beside Anfield's greats
ADVERTISEMENT
Click here!

AS Rafael Benitez brings his Liverpool team to Fratton Park to face Portsmouth on Sunday in the FA Cup, it is hard to believe that 20 years have passed since I was part of one of the great Liverpool sides that won the League and Cup double in 1986.

When I consider my career on Merseyside I would say I played in three different teams during my time there. The 1984 team that won the European Cup, Kenny Dalglish's 1986 team that won the double, and the 1989 team that won the FA Cup.

Of the three teams, Dalglish's 1986 squad was probably the weakest and yet we still 'did' the double. But when you compare the class of 1986 to the class of 2006, there are very few from the current crop that would have made our starting line-up.

Steve McMahon was the only Englishman to make the squad for the FA Cup final that year and he didn't even get on in the end. We had a Zimbabwean in nets, four Scots, three Irishmen, a Dane, an Australian and a Welshman.

We went 1-0 down in the first-half when Gary Lineker scored and it took a fight between Bruce Grobbelaar and Jim Beglin after the break to wake us up. Ian Rush scored a couple and Craig Johnston got the other to give Dalglish the double in his first season in management.

Resurgence

Of the team that travel to the England's south coast this weekend, the four players have epitomised Liverpool's resurgence, in terms of consistency, have been Steven Gerard, Jamie Carragher, Steve Finnan and Xabi Alonso.

But, if we start at right-back, I still couldn't put Finnan ahead of Steve Nicol. He has really impressed since his move from Fulham but Nico was undoubtedly one of the best players I ever played with.

In my mind, Dalglish, Graeme Souness, Alan Hansen, Rushie and John Barnes were the five outstanding guys I came across. But Steve Nicol was next in line.

Because he played in so many different positions; right-back, left-back, right-midfield, left-midfield, people didn't recognise him as being a great right-back or a great left-back, but he was genuinely superb, and as well as Finnan has done, I couldn't swap him for Nico.

In the centre of defence I think you have to assess how good the pairing is. Mark Lawrenson and Hansen were excellent at stepping out and passing the ball, they didn't want anybody coming back and getting the ball off them. You see Alonso coming back at times which he has to do because I don't think Carragher or Sami Hyypia could be considered the best passers of the ball.

If we stepped back from midfield we'd be ordered to get back up there because they were perfectly able to pick a pass themselves. They were always comfortable on the ball and they were very, very quick.

In attack, all you need to do is look at Djibril Cisse and Peter Crouch against Manchester United last Sunday. There have been many Liverpool centre-forwards through during my Liverpool years, some of them mediocre, but they would still be better than what was on display at Old Trafford.

Dalglish and Rush were probably the best forward combination that Liverpool has ever had. People talk about John Toshack and Kevin Keegan, but for me there is nobody that could have been better than those two. Rushie is Liverpool's most prolific scorer ever and he was complimented brilliantly by Kenny.

The only position that I think current players could get a look-in would be the centre of midfield. Back then we had Jan Molby and Kevin MacDonald - now part of Steve Staunton's backroom team. Kev wasn't the greatest player but probably deserved more credit than he got because of his tenacity and he stayed in the team ahead of Macca which, considering how well he would do later in the decade, was impressive.

Jan was great on the ball and I'd still regard him as the best passer of a ball I have seen. Alonso, though, has a quality range of passing but is more mobile. Then, obviously, there is Steven Gerrard. He has been given a free role by Rafa, but I still think he is best in the centre of midfield where he can get forward quickly.

Expectations

A right winger is something that Liverpool are definitely in need of at the moment. Gerrard is playing there but he isn't a natural winger or the long-term answer. In the same position, Johnston used to drive you mad at times. He would just put the head down and run. The lads used to say to open the gates and just let him run into the Kop.

And that only leaves the left side of midfield where I would hope to get in ahead of Harry Kewell. Harry has performed better in recent weeks but he still has to live up to the expectations that he brought with him on arrival and until then I'm not giving up my place! So there you have it.

That is a reflection on the way the Premiership is now. People forget that players with good football brains come first and foremost. You have to be fit of course, and we were fit. We didn't eat pasta all the time or drink Perrier water but we trained hard and always looked after ourselves before a game.

The game may be quicker now, but I think the level of ball skills has definitely gone done. Mohamed Sissoko is an athlete. He gets around the pitch and breaks things up, but after that there's not an awful lot.

In 1986 there was creativity all over the pitch, something that was noticeably lacking at Old Trafford last Sunday.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1550319&issue_id=13603

(you need to register to see the original article)

This must have been written by Ronnie Whelan.  Have got alot of time for what he's got to say and I know the Irish boys on this site have a great deal of respect for him though this is a fairly bogstandard article.  Can't really argue much with what he's got to say.  Don't know if I'd agree with him leaving Jamie out  but I do accept that Lawrenson and Hansen were better passers and more comfortable on the ball than JC and Sami.

Does make you think though when you compare Rush and Dalglish to Crouchie and Cisse.  No disrespect to either of them it's just a totally different planet in terms of class.  What I would give for a Rushie or an Also for the rest of the season.
Martin Skrtel does not sleep. He waits.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 05:32:17 am »
Click here!
Doesn't work.

I noticed that you have been concentrating on what they say about themselves now blurred, being that we already heard from them about what they think of both teams in the Spyin' Kop done earlier this season - which is a good follow up.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 09:40:22 am »
and also some great comedy from Mike. I love his sideways look at things, had me chuckling more than once reading his email.

Comedy or just a grumpy git? ;D
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 11:03:20 am »
Good to know they are not very confident, but I still think Pompey will play one of their best games against us because we play an open and positive style of football.

We've got 6 games in 17 days including Chelsea and Arsenal, so I expect a lot of player rotation for this one.
Doubters to Believers

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 11:08:24 am »
Fuck me, harry redknapps such a bullshitter...

from .tv

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp has started the mind games ahead of Sunday's FA Cup tie by insisting he has a major defensive injury crisis on his hands.
Redknapp has told reporters on the south-coast that he may be forced to field a makeshift side against Liverpool in the televised fourth round clash at Fratton Park.

"We have injuries galore and it is looking a struggle to get a team out," moaned the Pompey chief, who has brought in six new players so far during the January transfer window.

His most recent recruit, former Charlton goalkeeper Dean Kiely, is expected to make his debut against the Reds but defenders Noe Pamarot, Linvoy Primus and Dejan Stefanovic are rated doubtful, while Andy Griffin will be missing through suspension.

Should the situation not improve before Sunday much-maligned Norwegian striker Azar Karadas is understood to be on stand-by to come into the side as an emergency defender.

"He is someone I will have to look at if things stay as they are," admits Redknapp. "Karadas was a centre-half in his early days in Norway and is comfortable there, where you need someone who can head the ball. I saw him in the reserves at West Ham last week and he did well."

Now, have a look at this...

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 11:13:43 am »
;D Funny link nidge...

But to be fair I think Harry would no more than the website on the day-to-day fitness of his squad. Even if it is nind games, Stefanovic took a nasty knock last weekend and was substituted, Pamaroy went off in the first half too with muscle (groin?) problems and Primus didn't even start the last weekends game due to injury.

Either way... It's a game we should win. Fit defence or not.
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 11:30:36 am »
I loved that Reggie Perrin handle. Great.

Offline Redned

• Kopite
  • And the Red Men are still playing the same way...
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 01:38:00 pm »
spoke to some of the Pompey fans in the Sandon after the league match in November
they said then that they would rather have Harry back that keep Reggie
"What do you mean your knee, it's Liverpool's knee!"

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 09:25:38 pm »
Well done Blurred.  Judging by the answers and the depressing attitude of them lot the Samaritans will make a friggin fortune down there.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 09:39:08 pm »
Fuckin' hell MH has managed to depress me and I couldn't give a toss for them.... Jesus.
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 11:45:10 pm »
I hope they go down and a relatively local team take their place.
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline grillsd

• Boys Pen
« Reply #17 on: May 7, 2006, 03:34:52 pm »
Can anyone tell me what radio station the pool and Pompey match is on. Man ive been searching the net this past half an hour..Cheers..