Author Topic: Which is the most competitive sport?  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Carlos: Very Kickable

• Pompous Twat. Scourge of Pinko Liberalism. Attitude to Cyan Conservatism is unclear. Lives in a Monochrome world and is baffled by colours.
  • Legacy Fan
  • As Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus would say...
Which is the most competitive sport?
« on: November 1, 2012, 09:31:27 pm »

Sport is in the main about competition but which is the most competitive?

For the extent that people are prepared to cheat to win - probably cycling. For matters of trying to avoid harm whilst inflicting it on your opponent maybe you'd have to give it to boxing.

But overall, in my opinion, Formula One is the most competitive. I read once that the Mclaren team had 80 PhD level engineers at their "race command" centre trying to eke out an advantage for their driver that could be measured in hundredths of a second per lap.

If you look at the way F1 teams are run compared to premiership football clubs there's light years of difference between the two.

On the other hand the huge sizes of the teams means that he competition is shared out between them rather than being once concentrated in a head to head contest like for example professional squash.

So which is the most competitive sport?

I know you struggle with reading comprehension Carlitos, but do try to pay attention

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Which is the most competitive sport?
« Reply #1 on: November 1, 2012, 09:39:18 pm »
I'm constantly amazed by the importance of the small details in F1. It really is amazing how much work goes into preparing for a race and making sure the car is in perfect condition.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 1, 2012, 10:10:39 pm »
I would say the most physically competitive sport would probably be Rugby League. The hits those boys take are literally bone-shaking.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 1, 2012, 10:27:06 pm »
Bowls or curling. Fuck me do those guys have precision.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 1, 2012, 10:30:22 pm »
I would say the most physically competitive sport would probably be Rugby League. The hits those boys take are literally bone-shaking.

Nothing compared to American football.  A study a few years ago found that in an average NFL game, there are something like 34 collisions that have the same impact on the body (i.e. net of the pads they are wearing) as being hit by a car at 30 mph.  The next highest sport (this excluded boxing) was just under 10 (rugby union, from recollection).

For physical toughness, narrow margins of error, profile, pressure on the athlete, etc, I'd go with the NFL personally.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #5 on: November 1, 2012, 10:34:20 pm »
MMA for me.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline givemekaliber

• Official Gimp to the Transfer Forum!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leather Bottle - Halewood
« Reply #6 on: November 1, 2012, 10:39:03 pm »

Nothing compared to American football.  A study a few years ago found that in an average NFL game, there are something like 34 collisions that have the same impact on the body (i.e. net of the pads they are wearing) as being hit by a car at 30 mph.  The next highest sport (this excluded boxing) was just under 10 (rugby union, from recollection).

For physical toughness, narrow margins of error, profile, pressure on the athlete, etc, I'd go with the NFL personally.
Pah
NFL?
Shit em'
Rugby League men are 'real men'
Ahem............
Tommy Smith is better looking than Sophia Loren

Suarez is an utter lunatic

Smoke bombs/grenades/pyros/giros are necessary

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #7 on: November 1, 2012, 10:39:07 pm »
BASEketball
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #8 on: November 1, 2012, 10:39:12 pm »
Come get some of these amateurs.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #9 on: November 1, 2012, 10:40:51 pm »
Golf for me. Anyone who has played the game will know it is about precise technique but you also need to be strong mentally.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 1, 2012, 10:51:10 pm »
Golf for me. Anyone who has played the game will know it is about precise technique but you also need to be strong mentally.
Will never know how some pro golfers manage to go round a ridiculously hard course 4 days in a row and making only a handful of mistakes. Golf, for me, is the hardest sport to master and because it's one of the most popular sports in the world, makes hugely competitive
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now