Author Topic: FT - Liverpool 2 vs Burnley 1 (Barnes 7', Gini 45', Can 60')  (Read 31215 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: FT - Liverpool 2 vs Burnley 1 (Barnes 7', Gini 45', Can 60')
« Reply #200 on: March 12, 2017, 06:14:16 pm »
Mate i said it was a bit strange to take off a match winner that's all, don't get all offended over nothing.

It was strange because no matter how bad Coutinho is, he is a match-winner whilst Woodburn is a 17 year old just starting his career. Um yea it was only obvious to you because you have been pineing for Woodburn to come on for last couple of matches.

That's funny as most people said the same as me, it was a good subsitution because he wasn't at the races today. Burnley had about two players on him every time he was near the ball today, they were targeting him, as they know how important he is to us. So it made perfect sense to put on a player, Burnely would know very little about. Excuse me for wanting to give one of our young players a chance.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: March 12, 2017, 06:14:16 pm »
I think we just stole their bus.

I think Burnley deserve a bit of credit, they didn't just park the bus, they defended well, our front three were handled well, they got out well too and committed men forward, they wanted a win, lucky for them we weren't at our best because we did have a bit of space to work with especially down their right but we just didn't look like getting into top gear with our attacking play. Pleasing result against a side that played well.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 06:15:48 pm by red1977 »

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #202 on: March 12, 2017, 06:14:22 pm »
Emre took a page out of Gerrards book with that goal.
We need match winners and long distance shooters

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2017, 06:14:28 pm »
I am amazed at the moaning about this game today.

Isn't this what people wanted, winning ugly, and grinding out a performance against a team who has zero interest in playing football?

Yes there where some shit performances out there, and yes we desperately need a new central midfielder especially in the summer, but I'm as happy with this game as I was the ones vs Spurs and Arsenal.

Last time we played like shit, we got stuffed by Leiceter, today, we did enough to grind out a win,  if we'd done a bit more of that this season, we'd be better for it.

Finding ways is as important as winning by playing great football. The latter we do brilliantly. The former we've not done enough of. Today we did it.

We could have won 10-0 and there would still be people finding something to whinge about.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2017, 06:15:04 pm »
We've spent gazilions on lightweight, highly technical midfielders and attacking midfielders so we could play good technical football on the deck and then we ask them to scrap for second balls for 90 mins? We were more Burnley and Burnley today , it was embarrassing , and we're seeing it constantly this calendar year against the dross. We are not built to play this way. You can't see this and then wonder why all these players play like shit.

We have to ask questions about how good they really are moving the ball between the lines. This is not the first time a highly organised pressing side has troubled us. We have struggled to get out completely.

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2017, 06:15:07 pm »
I actually loved that Woodburn came on. Thought against Leicester he really showed some fight. Wasn't as good today but the kid ran his socks off. Wish that his cross to Origi had been a bees dick lower.

Thought he did well today too - a couple of dangerous runs & crosses, had good close control and didn't look out of place.

Did well to grind out the result.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: March 12, 2017, 06:15:52 pm »
With his 20 foot telescopic legs? The cross was excellent and not Klavan's fault.
No with is positioning which was particularly crap 1st half when he was no where near the striker

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2017, 06:15:56 pm »

Isn't this what people wanted, winning ugly, and grinding out a performance against a team who has zero interest in playing football?

Yes there where some shit performances out there, and yes we desperately need a new central midfielder especially in the summer, but I'm as happy with this game as I was the ones vs Spurs and Arsenal.

Last time we played like shit, we got stuffed by Leiceter, today, we did enough to grind out a win,  if we'd done a bit more of that this season, we'd be better for it.

Finding ways is as important as winning by playing great football. The latter we do brilliantly. The former we've not done enough of. Today we did it.

Yep. It wasn't a great performance but we got the win and then shut the game out at 2-1. Its very satisfying.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: March 12, 2017, 06:16:08 pm »
Woody's distribution was good I thought. Miles better than Coutinho - great to see an academy product on the field again.

He didn't do anything wrong, he just couldn't show all his ability in that kind of situation. Really promising player no doubt

Offline liverpool185

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #209 on: March 12, 2017, 06:16:47 pm »
That's funny as most people said the same as me, it was a good subsitution because he wasn't at the races today. Burnley had about two players on him every time he was near the ball today, they were targeting him, as they know how important he is to us. So it made perfect sense to put on a player, Burnely would know very little about. Excuse me for wanting to give one of our young players a chance.

Also funny that the people i watched it with and on the stream i had it on were very surprised that Woodburn came on for him, opinions eh..

All that matters is we got the 3 points.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 06:18:57 pm by liverpool185 »
David Moyes, a woman beater without actually beating a woman.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #210 on: March 12, 2017, 06:17:07 pm »
Not a great performance but a vital win. We'll need to improve for the next two games but I'm confident we will. Good three points, puts a bit of pressure on Arsenal and United when they next play in the League.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #211 on: March 12, 2017, 06:17:39 pm »
Thank fuck we won. Delighted for Can. He's taken dogs abuse but for me his ability to shoot from distance is a string to his bow and one we haven't utilised. Get the ball wide try and work it through eye of needle. Very difficult for it to work sometimes you have to stretch the play for people like can to smack it .

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: March 12, 2017, 06:17:42 pm »
Three points. Now Arsenal and Manchester United have to win their games in hand just to stay with us. I'm 100% ok with us winning ugly.

A win is a win eh? I'll take it, we've played better and not won so 3 points, particularly in the type of game where we've struggled to get anything recently is welcome. Don't care about the performance either, not in the mood to be a misery guts. Plus it's nice to see Sean Dyche put in his place.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #213 on: March 12, 2017, 06:18:04 pm »
We've spent gazilions on lightweight, highly technical midfielders and attacking midfielders so we could play good technical football on the deck and then we ask them to scrap for second balls for 90 mins? We were more Burnley and Burnley today , it was embarrassing , and we're seeing it constantly this calendar year against the dross. We are not built to play this way. You can't see this and then wonder why all these players play like shit.

I hear you, but watch the game back and see how our midfielders and wingers were bullied off the ball today - Dyche's Dogs outscrapped us in the midfield.

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #214 on: March 12, 2017, 06:18:25 pm »
Burnley's away game form curse > Liverpool's small team curse.

from reddit
The change is cast

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2017, 06:18:34 pm »
We have to ask questions about how good they really are moving the ball between the lines. This is not the first time a highly organised pressing side has troubled us. We have struggled to get out completely.
I strongly agree with this. A sincere and objective look at our players would reveal that, apart from Coutinho (who was apparently very poor today) and Mane (who virtually was marked out of the game), we don't have any players who are that good at moving the ball between the lines, as you put it, whether as passers or as dribblers. Even Lallana, whom we celebrate, is arguably no better than Yossi Benayoun, who was a good but dispensable member of a previous squad. We need a serious injection of quality if we are to keep attempting this style of play.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2017, 06:18:49 pm »
He's got a big set of balls has Can. He's been bashed from pillar to post lately and after a slow start he gets the winner and then puts one on a plate for Mane late on with a sublime lob, only Mane's touch let him down for a certain goal.

All the talk over a new contract must be distracting for him, yet his form has picked up over the last few games. Neville said it on commentary that he never hides and that's very much true. I can't think of another player in the squad, perhaps with the exception of Lovren, who will lost the ball 9 times on the bounce but take control of a situation for the 10th time. The 'leaders', the likes of Lallana and Milner and one or two others were nowhere to be seen today and they haven't been for a while. But continue to slag Can off because he might want a contract extension, a bit like his England teammate who goes missing when the chips are down and has done nothing since signing a new deal himself (I'm not on a tirade against Lallana, but he's the most relevant example and case study of hypocrisy in relation to some of our fanbase).

Delighted with the win all in all, we don't have to win at City next week but if we could we would really be back in the box seat in terms of making the top 4. Coutinho's form is a worry, and hopefully we'll have Firmino back. Klavan improved today after a poor start and he and Matip dealt with Burnley well but they'll have a lot more on their plate next week with the likes of Aguero, Silva, Sterling and Sane running at them.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2017, 06:18:53 pm »
I'll take that. We found a way to get the goals we needed, and managed the game quite well after that.

Onwards to City and 3 more points.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2017, 06:19:26 pm »
Good teams win when they don't play well is such a stupid cliche.
When we haven't played well this season weve lost. Today we got away with it
Glad we did, glad to have the points but its alarming we can play that badly. Alarming that we couldn't control the game at all and that the ball spent that long in the air in a game like this at anfield.

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2017, 06:19:42 pm »

That's not the keepers fault. He can only play it to players at the back when the pass is on otherwise he has no option but to play it long. If you want to blame anyone then blame the defenders for playing the ball back instead of finding one of the midfield players. A keeper can only find a player if they aren't marked otherwise the right thing to do is to clear it long. One bad pass and Burnley would have got the ball back in a dangerous position and then you would rightly have had something to complain about. It's up to the other 10 players to show themselves for the keeper or to hold onto the ball.......playing it back to the keeper under pressure just means that we will lose the ball. So blame the outfield players and not the keeper.
#JFT97

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2017, 06:20:14 pm »
We have struggled to get out completely.
It's the same for a while now. Every single team is doing it now and what we do in return is exactly and precisely what they want us to do. They press us high so we would kick it long and we fully oblige and their CBs gobble it up easily and the worst effect of all this is that game gets turned into a mid-table English old-school kind of scrap, they want to drag us down to their level as we've seen today it's exactly what happened. If we go with this idea of playing to Watford, Wba and W.Ham we'll lose all those games.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2017, 06:20:18 pm »
3 points is all that matter, but boy we didn't half play poorly today.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: March 12, 2017, 06:20:52 pm »
Three points. Now Arsenal and Manchester United have to win their games in hand just to stay with us. I'm 100% ok with us winning ugly.
Yeah, they've also got to play each other.

Get a result at City and we should be nicely set going into the run in.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #223 on: March 12, 2017, 06:20:57 pm »
Sean Dyche is really unlikeable.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: March 12, 2017, 06:21:12 pm »
Scrappy but 3 points.

Burnley really bring you down to their level,such a hard team to play your footballing game against.

MoTM Can.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2017, 06:21:45 pm »

I hear you, but watch the game back and see how our midfielders and wingers were bullied off the ball today - Dyche's Dogs outscrapped us in the midfield.
Exactly mate because we allowed them to drag us down to their level by playing their game.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: March 12, 2017, 06:21:53 pm »
Also funny that the people i watched it with and on the stream i had it on were very surprised that Woodburn came on for him, opinions eh..

All that matters is we got the 3 points.

That line I won't disagree with, let's leave it there.

Offline liverpool185

• Kopite
« Reply #227 on: March 12, 2017, 06:22:42 pm »
Credit to Burnley and Dyche, they were excellent today. Outplayed us for most of the match.
David Moyes, a woman beater without actually beating a woman.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #228 on: March 12, 2017, 06:22:46 pm »
Sean Dyche is really unlikeable.

Stop being a gingerist.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: March 12, 2017, 06:22:50 pm »
It's the same for a while now. Every single team is doing it now and what we do in return is exactly and precisely what they want us to do. They press us high so we would kick it long and we fully oblige and their CBs gobble it up easily and the worst effect of all this is that game gets turned into a mid-table English old-school kind of scrap, they want to drag us down to their level as we've seen today it's exactly what happened. If we go with this idea of playing to Watford, Wba and W.Ham we'll lose all those games.

It is a worry but the problem we have is that there seems to still be a lack of confidence out there. Hopefully a few consecutive wins and the confidence on the ball can increase.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2017, 06:22:55 pm »
Well they didn't sit everyone behind the ball, Moreno on the left might have been a good idea if we knew they weren't going sit back. Milner played aimless balls in, Mignolet aimed for Origi each time and decisions from a few really stopped us from playing. Coutinho couldn't get in the game and Lallana couldn't until the subs were made but who gives a shiny shite we battled through a grinder that out well done red men

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #231 on: March 12, 2017, 06:23:02 pm »
This would defo be on 16+ pages rather than 6 had we dropped any points today.

We needed a win, we got it.

Some embarrassing Emre Can comments at half time, the lad tries, he's not Jordan Henderson but we had a collective issue first half in imposing our game on them and conceding the first goal seemed to wobble our lads heads far too much.

Credit where it's due, we stuck at it, great little cameo from Woodburn and we defended well second half.

Bring on City!
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: March 12, 2017, 06:23:09 pm »
I actually though Mignolet was hoofing it because Burnley had 2 strikers pressing constantly and our CBs (Klavan) weren't intelligent enough to split the field as soon as Migs got the ball.

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: March 12, 2017, 06:23:35 pm »
Oh Jesus, I'm listening to some miserable southern arsehole BBC 606, pouring doubt on Klopp and wanting him sacked.

These wankers are the sort of supporters I absolutely detest. Cancerous to the club.

It's a shame there is no system of real punishment for these fucking idiots. What I heard two weeks back gave me a headache

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: March 12, 2017, 06:23:54 pm »

It's true, and we need to do it more. The main crux of my frustration is that we played shite again, against lower league sides. By now, everyone knows the script - the players and manager certainly included. And yet, we still go a goal down against not only a team we knew would come at us, but in the manner they would. We won today, but we created 2 chances - one of them wasn't even really a chance, it was a great hit from outside the box.

The best thing about the game today was how we saw the game out. There was a bit of fight in there - even though we were 2nd to most headers and *really* should have used that period to score 1-2 more goals to just kill the game. But we were good at defending, got Lucas on to shore up the defence and saw it out relatively comfortably.

The main problem though, and it's becoming glaringly obvious when we play teams like Burnley - is that we have an amazingly weak winning mentality. We really do need to bring in more talent in the goal keeping, defence and deep midfield areas, because it's too vulnerable at the moment. We're hoping to be playing CL football next season, but we're not good enough to get to the latter stages of that competition, let alone be challenging for trophies.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #235 on: March 12, 2017, 06:24:35 pm »
Stop being a gingerist.

I'm more of a gingophobe.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #236 on: March 12, 2017, 06:24:37 pm »
playing it back to the keeper under pressure just means that we will lose the ball. So blame the outfield players and not the keeper.
There are things you can do. You can drop your 6 between CBs to make sure you have numerical advantage to pass out from the back or at least you can have keeper making those diagonal long passes out to fullbacks to go over the top of their first line of pressing. That's what you do in theory in these situations and for some reason we did neither. Fuck knows if it was by design or not.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: March 12, 2017, 06:25:01 pm »
It's a shame there is no system of real punishment for these fucking idiots. What I heard two weeks back gave me a headache

There is, ignore the arses and don't listen to the phone-ins. They are only interested in controversial opinions anyway.

Offline Yevgeny

• Kopite
  • Believer.
« Reply #238 on: March 12, 2017, 06:25:50 pm »
Phil's not fit, that much is obvious. He's playing like he's coming back from a year out. I think it's the first bad injury he's had since he's been at the club so it might be a mental thing, I dunno. He hasn't had a single good game since returning to the team. As far as I'm concerned, even though Phil started that game today, we won it without both him and Firmino.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #239 on: March 12, 2017, 06:25:56 pm »
Exactly mate because we allowed them to drag us down to their level by playing their game.

Besides that, they were quicker to the ball on many an occasion when we were "playing" - our lads should be embarrassed that they were outplayed (when not being outscrapped) in the midfield.

There was more than one occasion where the Burnley mids simply outran our mids to the ball.