Author Topic: Why it's Morgan v Moores and not Scouse v Thai  (Read 4465 times)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Why it's Morgan v Moores and not Scouse v Thai
« on: May 13, 2004, 06:08:44 pm »
From the discussions flying around the pubs, phone-ins, letters pages and internet forums, the debate over future investment in the club has become a battle of Scouse v Thai. I instead believe it's a battle of Steve Morgan v David Moores.

To explain why I'll quickly cover the bare bones of Steve Morgan's proposal again:

i) It will raise 73 million pounds

ii) David Moores would have to pay £31m to see his share % drop from 51% to 46.4%; the smaller the amount he invests, the lower his share of the club becomes, dropping to 23.2% if he invests nothing.

iii) Steve Morgan gains a large increase in his shareholding, and could become the major shareholder.

iv) The fans have a chance to buy shares, which are now more accessible in terms of availability and price.

v) Existing shareholders will see their shareholding diluted unless they invest in the club.

Morgan has played his proposal like a seasoned politician. His press conference was a blinder PR wise with the fans; he talked of hitching to games, bunking in, going home and away and being a Red all his life. Saying he wanted to see the club back as the best in England and Europe was bound to play well with Reds. The fans also like the sound of being able to invest in the club via cheaper shares, though existing small shareholders I've spoken to aren't happy at all with his current proposals. He also comes across as a Scouser who's worked his socks off and built up a fortune which he's prepared to use to benefit the club.

In contrast there's been a big upswell of opinion against the Thai deal in Liverpool. There's concerns over the ethical and moral issues raised by the likes of Amnesty International. Questions on the length and nature of the Thai's interest in the club. Confusion over the source of the funds - is it the Thai PM's private money? Lottery funded? Government money?, and if so what happens if the Government of Thailand changes? Also a genuine wariness of the unknown coupled with the preference to accept, if available, a local bid from a fan of similar value.

The issue is thus being played in the press, and in the minds of many fans, as Steve Morgan v The Thai PM when in reality it has now become a question of  Steve Morgan v David Moores and Rick Parry.

The way you can look at the Morgan deal is this:

The fans can see a route has been offered to get a £73m cash injection for players and the new stadium at a time when funding appears to be needed by the club. It's been decribed as an investment by Morgan when it is in fact both an investment and a takeover which could see David Moores usurped.

Moores has 4 options in my opinion:

1) Accept the Thai deal (for however much it turns out to be) and ride the rough waters of the protests.

2) Alternatively he can agree with the Morgan proposal and cough up between £20m and £31m of his own money, which will be needed to maintain his largest shareholding (money it's rumoured he does not have), though still dropping lower than the crucial 50% controlling stake in the club. Morgan would still increase his shareholding and now have a major presence on the board. Does Moores have the stomach for the inevitable boardroom battles?

3) Or he can agree with Morgan's proposal but decide not to invest himself. This would see his shareholding reduced to 23.2% and David Moores hand over control and the chairmanship of the club to Morgan, with Moores reverting to being a "minor" player on the board.

4) Finally if Moores turns down the Morgan proposal down, and the Thai deal is considered too unpalatable, then he now finds himself in the position where he has got to come up with a third proposal as financially attarctive or lay himself open to the accusation that he's putting self interest ahead of the long term interest of LFC. This would cast him as the villain of the piece thanks to Morgan's cleverly put together deal and manouvering. And Moores isn't the type of person who'd be comfortable with that stereotype thrown at him.

So it's time for Moores to make a decision. Morgan has dragged him into a high stakes game of blackjack and our David can double by paying 30m, twist with the Thais or stick and see Morgan take over.

Or does he instead have a five card trick up his sleeve? All will be revealed ...

© Rushian 2004
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 04:46:35 am by Rushian »
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
Re: Why it's Morgan v Moores and not Scouse v Thai
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 06:43:00 pm »
Morgan has played his proposal like a seasoned politician. His press conference was a blinder PR wise with the fans; he talked of hitching to games, bunking in, going home and away and being a Red all his life. Saying he wanted to see the club back as the best in England and Europe was bound to play well with Reds. The fans also like the sound of being able to invest in the club via cheaper shares, though existing small shareholders I've spoken to aren't happy at all with his current proposals. He also comes across as a Scouser who's worked his socks off and built up a fortune which he's prepared to use to benefit the club.

As I say, his spin has let so many people start looking at the whole thing like yet another bloody boring OOT debate.

I have no problem with people thinking he's the best man for the job but when that opinion is based on a load of spin rather than hard facts it's just crap...

RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 08:01:45 pm »

Mr Moores isn't under any pressure whatsoever to accept anything.
87:13

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Modern football is shit
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 08:04:24 pm »
top work Rushian fella.

In addition, are we seeing an exemplary lesson in how to manipulate your chairman if you're a chief exec, from the Man Who Sold Football ? Hmmmm.

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 08:06:54 pm »
In addition, are we seeing an exemplary lesson in how to manipulate your chairman if you're a chief exec, from the Man Who Sold Football ? Hmmmm.

:o
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline Old-Scallywag

• Legacy Fan
  • un hincha de Liverpool
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 08:27:53 pm »
Sterling work Rushian. They should put that in the papers rather than some of the crap they're printing.

Ta
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 09:06:47 am by Tapirs_On_Tour »
Though I know I’ll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I’ll often stop and think about them

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 09:59:15 pm »
cheers Steve for keeping the matters simple, as it were. I heard Les Lawson on Radio 5 talk about all the things you mention above - the hitching etc as if it were proof that Morgan is the rightful heir of the club.
I'm uneasy about both to be honest.
Yep.

Offline Big Ig

• His is totally non-existent, you know?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 01:02:00 am »
Nice work Rushian, although I'm not sure that Moores is under quite the amount of pressure you paint in your piece... thankfully, he tends to ignore groundswells of opinion and look at the longterm health of the club, so wouldn't bat an eyelid at the prospect of weathering out the storm re: Thai deal... I think he sees Morgan as a poisoned chalice for the club though... I'm beginning to think similar really... Morgan's press conference had more spin that an illegal Muralitharan delivery... like you say, an expert politician but far too manipulative of the mob for my liking.

Offline zowie

• 70 Year Old Non-Swedish Blonde
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red born n' bred and will remain long after dead
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 08:44:51 am »
 ;D I see Morgan as more of a Rasputin type!!
"SHANKS"THE FATHER"LIVERPOOL" THE TEAM "YNWA" THE REALITY NEVER THE DREAM!

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 01:06:48 pm »
So it's time for Moores to make a decision. Morgan has dragged him into a high stakes game of blackjack and our David can double by paying 30m, twist with the Thais or stick and see Morgan take over.

Good work, fella, that last bit is sheer poetry! And the whole article is the most concise and well thought out piece I have read. I would expect to see it pilfered in the sports pages of our slack national papers this weekend.

NJNORM

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2004, 02:02:25 pm »
I thought Morgan was a self made millionaire and was born in Garston so his claim to be a scouser is real. Why do you doubt it?

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2004, 03:45:55 pm »
I thought Morgan was a self made millionaire and was born in Garston so his claim to be a scouser is real. Why do you doubt it?

Who anywhere has doubted it?
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)