Author Topic: The Birth of a New System  (Read 1336 times)

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
The Birth of a New System
« on: October 24, 2009, 02:23:05 am »
Over the last few weeks, I've gone through the stages of grief, denial, depression, anger, bargaining, and finally acceptance.  One of the first things to hit me in the final stage has been the simple inability to be the Liverpool we've all become familiar with.  1-0 up against Lyon, and you'd expect a Rafa Benitez Liverpool to suffocate the opposition and get the win.  Usually we look at our most comfortable when we are required to stifle and oppose, but this season we've looked our best when we've been in the final third.  Against Stoke we were the exact opposite of the Liverpool of last season, not calm and probing, and definitely not reserved.

I suppose this might just be naive optimism but this period could be the death of the old Liverpool, one of defensive confidence and mechanical deconstruction, and into a dynamic and lethal Liverpool.  The one where confidence was not in our ability to stifle the opposition, but overrun them.  Rafa, despite the petty arguments to the contrary , knows how to do this and his time at Valencia showed that the same tenacity applied to defense was applied two-fold in attack.  Our squad, with Gerrard, Torres, Kuyt and Benayoun leading the way, can equal the destructive capabilities of that Valencia side.  Still, I suppose like the birth metaphor, there is a maturation period.  We may have to suffer a few defeats, the pesky slander of a few morons, but there's not better teacher then failure, and there is no better student of the game then our Rafa.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Re: The Birth of a New System
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 02:47:06 am »
to be honest mate, even when liverpool are playing well we are not the most pleasing on the the eye, we are never one to win with total football, it is always with industrious and hardworking play with the odd moment of individual brilliance (torres, gerrard, and the occasional moment from benayoun). i think we are some way off the brilliance of the valencia team that came to anfield and played us off the park so easily i struggle to remember the players in that team but aimar, rufete, vicente, mendieta, and baraja come to mind, each one a brilliant technical player with the solidity of ayala and pellegrino at the back.  when i look at the footballers who dismantled everton so easily recently (aimar and saviola) and i think of the ease of which we may have acquired them it really does disappoint me.  we lack  players with real confidence and ability on the ball and that stems from the fullbacks (johnson has greatly improved our abilities from there) through the midfield to our wide players. there were so many tell tale signs last year and they seem not to have been addressed this season.  i know this is due to a lack of funds but i wonder if the 20 million spent on aqua man may have been spent more wisely elsewhere to players who could have came in and contributed much earlier. i say this without knowing what kind of contribution aqua man may have and i hope it really is one to push our season on.  but i worry that with further injuries, our season is going to sink without trace. i look on with hope.