Author Topic: Round Table: Liverpool 2 Newcastle United 1  (Read 9637 times)

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Round Table: Liverpool 2 Newcastle United 1
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:32:26 pm »
This was a game where the result was everything and ultimately meaningless. Not for me, by the way. I can stand coming second (as a gentleman should) but coming third behind the Shitcoat One would irk me. Not just because he's a stain on football but because it would suck the romance out of our league campaign. I know we're not Accrington Stanley but we don't chuck money around like Chelsea and Man City. Getting one over on at least one of them feels good, for everyone in the game maybe and not just us and if it ended up looking like the Moneyball table after all, well that would have been depressing. Aside from that, all we could do was win and hope for a miracle that did not transpire. Still, nice to win the last one at home and all that.

And to the game. Suarez was awful, Agger sublime, Skrtel comical and Coutinho revitalising. This was a weird game, all told. Everything felt jittery and hesitant. Newcastle shot themselves in the foot, who goes off for dissent? We stabbed two goals home, didn't really look like scoring more and while the other lot weren't trying very hard, they still got behind us once or twice. It was a game whose end I greeted with more delight than watching it. Maybe it's just the deflation of having your dream almost inevitably crushed elsewhere while you still have to soldier on. Credit to the players and staff for grinding out a win in such circumstances but that was distinctly uncomfortable stuff so I'll leave to someone else to find any gems I've missed. A game best forgotten in an otherwise memorable season.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Round Table: Liverpool 2 Newcastle United 1
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 11:21:22 pm »
Deflated, relieved and like the players mentally knackered. An odd game best demonstrated by the scudding clouds, sometimes sunny, sometimes dark, mostly meh. A wonderful season in many respects but that's for another thread. Suarez must be shattered, and clearly needs new studs. Johnson played awfully at times but then when he had someone to pass to on the overlap, woke up and started playing better. Gerrard I honestly think was just down. I think the slip was still playing on his mind. It was like the Chelsea game in many ways, our mistake gave them the lead and they sat back. But we scored today and we came second (love your line btw, very good mate ;D ) and that's that. Onwards...
Yep.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 08:32:10 pm »
Bump, if you want to.
Yep.

Offline Easy

• Sunday Mornin Tiger
  • Kopite
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 08:51:11 pm »
"If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor" - is how the game felt. At our previous home game we had the title in our hands, the optimism and the expectation was palpable. We not only "had seen such riches" we could almost taste them after 24 long years.

After disappointment of the Chelsea and Palace results plus the doormat capitulations leading to City's final game, this game was always going to have an element of 2nd place "being poor" in relation to 1st place - the place we could have had.

A strange game, a strange atmosphere at times and a strange performance. We still won - even in that deflated environment we secured an ugly win. The fact we're gutted with 2nd speaks volumes about our progress in just one season. We have no right to be disappointed, but we are. That's how it should be for now. In the coming weeks we prepare to go again. 

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 09:05:59 pm »
I want to comment on the switch to 3-4-3

Irrelevant game?  But still there was a stroke of genius from Rodgers....

Released sterling to cause all sorts of problems for Newcastle....

We also saw Johnson as a third centre back.....maybe his future?

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 09:19:32 pm »

A strange game, a strange atmosphere at times and a strange performance.

Final game of the season, final round table and unfortunately this last games showed again our weak spots which Rodgers kind of has been struggling to put right for almost two seasons now..... preventing crosses, protection in front of the defending line, positional play and calm passing in midfield, overall performances of our fullbacks.

Speaking of our fullbacks, Flanagan probably thought too much about being the Scouse Cafu rather than there was a PL game to play, just as Johnson, he did obviously think about everything else but defend and maybe those are the two players Carra was reffering to in this sky chat when talking about us needing defenders who can defend first and foremost rather than "ball playing" defenders? I would hope so. For sure I was missing Johnson prior the cross as he should have defended better with Stevie being late.. Again Steven was up the pitch on every possible occasion, not for the first time lately, and people may find one million excuses for that but if you don't do it in the easy games (staying behind the ball) you won't be able to switch in the big games either and I honestly hope that Stevie will go for a different interpretation of the holding role than he did in periods in those last three games of the season. I also watched Allen closely and I still think he has to work on his first touch and positioning in defense mode compared to Lucas, who, when he came on, gave an instant impression of being able to organize our team in the center just by doing some basics right.

Some critical points in this one which shouldn't take away anything from this incredible season and the work rate of the players in most of the games. We were tired in this one, very tired which for sure was a reason for this dip in concentration lately as we pushed beyond our limits this season, especially physically, played hyperbole pressing in a lot of games, forcing ourselves in an attacking way which won't be able next season with two games a week and CL football coming.

Considering this, there is still a lot of work for Rodgers and the players, we HAVE to be able to keep the ball for longer periods of the game, especially under pressure, vary the pace and control a game with possession rather than going for a the long ball too early which will put a lot of responsibility on Gerrard next season. Of course there are some positions we have to improve on but first and foremost it's still the players who have to follow Rodgers in his vision of football first which for sure isn't close to what he initially has been planning in terms of HOW to defend as a team... possession.

The players have to be aware that there are only two ways to defend, either keep the ball or getting behind the ball and defend as a team with discipline. This season was some sort of a wired compromise but next season, there won't be any way around to get both right and go for one way or the other (within a game plan or game situation), that's for sure.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:39:32 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 10:02:53 pm »
Discussion of the tactical/formation shift in the 2H (and before they were reduced to 10 - then 9 - men) is worthy of expert analysis (i.e. not from me).

I thought it was brilliant and it showed us what our managerial staff are capable of 'on the fly'.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 10:11:56 pm »
Pardew played a blinder - he just copied Chelsea from the week before. Outcome, we struggled and were let off by Newcastle thankfully being Newcastle.

Some people may be rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of European football next year, well, when teams roll up to Anfield and play like Newcastle did for about an hour and Chelsea did for 90 and did so, so well, then you better be prepared for some long and frustrating nights and us getting turned over after having 70-80% of the ball.

We need not so much a plan B, but a re-think on what we do when we have the ball, but little space. We know what to do with space, we need to learn what to do without it.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 10:18:31 pm »
I hope people eventually realize we actually could have been up by 1 or 2 in the first half vs NUFC, right?

NUFC were not that good, and we were not that bad (not at all), in the first half.

With the tactical change (and personnel change) to start the 2nd half, we were on the driver's seat.

Ludi Circenses!

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 10:32:22 pm »

We need not so much a plan B, but a re-think on what we do when we have the ball, but little space. We know what to do with space, we need to learn what to do without it.

This is the main thing, the next thing, the single thing we need to think about over the summer. Excellent point.
Yep.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 10:44:01 pm »
Pardew played a blinder - he just copied Chelsea from the week before. Outcome, we struggled and were let off by Newcastle thankfully being Newcastle.

Some people may be rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of European football next year, well, when teams roll up to Anfield and play like Newcastle did for about an hour and Chelsea did for 90 and did so, so well, then you better be prepared for some long and frustrating nights and us getting turned over after having 70-80% of the ball.

Fucking hell, you make some stunningly insightful analyses when you're not scrabbling about looking for witty gifs and jpegs.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 10:53:07 pm »

"Look for spaces. All day. I'm always looking. All day, all day. Here? No. There? No. People who haven't played don't always realize how hard that is. Space, space, space. It's like being on the PlayStation. I think damn, the defender's here, play it there. I see the space and pass. That's what I do."

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 10:59:32 pm »
Very strange game, Anfield was shockingly quiet and you could see it through the players. I don't think I have seen so many players give the ball away so many times in a game that may have won us the league. A keen eye was set on our back four, Agger in particular, pushing out when needed but it felt like it was forced rather than a regular game, as in, it's a weak spot and it's clear for all to see. It was also clear to see how bad our full backs played today. Shocking. Newcastle started with a back 5, another fucking mourinho blueprint and I think Pardew even admitted pre match that it was going to be a defensive setup and we struggled to break them down, even with a ridiculously high line. It was no coincidence that the Kop and Anfield upper were singing Coutinho's name early in the second half well before he came on. Joe Allen has a tank of energy in his belly but just doesn't do it for me. I said to a mate after 70 minutes that we looked like a team preparing for a world cup and with 5 starters within the team it's hard to agrue. Our minds were elsewhere.

It seems to feel like a godsend to lose against Chelsea on the third last game of the season after 11 straight wins, anymore games left and you just have to feel the momentum was not only dying but completely dead.

Phil Dowd had a shocker and I can't help but laugh that Dummett's straight red was down to the traveling geordies calling him a fat bastard throughout the second half.

Still, you have to mention a second place finish above all expectations and the the singing well into the night. But still, I feel crushed.

Offline AK47

• Needs to get a manly man's room. Grrrr.
  • Kopite
  • So it's on and on and on, it's Heaven and Hell
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 11:45:07 pm »

Good point. Our current Diamond formation doesn't seem to be that effective against 'Park the Bus' type of teams. We get lots of possession in front of their defensive line but no penetration of it and we were easily exposed on the flanks in the quick counter attack. The move to a back 3 plugged those gaps and allowed us to press them more.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 12:05:25 am »
to be honest I wouldn't be worried about how this game went in relation to how teams will setup against us next season. You could see how drained the players were and Newcastle just got lucky to catch us wallowing in our misery.

Plenty of teams have tried to park the bus but it only works on occasions and even then only teams with the strength of Chelsea can pull it off against the best. Eventually they will give you a chance, and luckily after the 3rd or 4th try, we got the ball in and their game plan was shattered.

It was good for our self belief thatwe did actually win, losing would've been even more gut wrenching.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• Elevated to the RAWK Peerage. Furious Legend In His Own Lunchtime.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Humans were harmed in the making of this picture
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 01:03:53 am »
Very strange game, Anfield was shockingly quiet and you could see it through the players. I don't think I have seen so many players give the ball away so many times in a game that may have won us the league. A keen eye was set on our back four, Agger in particular, pushing out when needed but it felt like it was forced rather than a regular game, as in, it's a weak spot and it's clear for all to see. It was also clear to see how bad our full backs played today. Shocking. Newcastle started with a back 5, another fucking mourinho blueprint and I think Pardew even admitted pre match that it was going to be a defensive setup and we struggled to break them down, even with a ridiculously high line. It was no coincidence that the Kop and Anfield upper were singing Coutinho's name early in the second half well before he came on. Joe Allen has a tank of energy in his belly but just doesn't do it for me. I said to a mate after 70 minutes that we looked like a team preparing for a world cup and with 5 starters within the team it's hard to agrue. Our minds were elsewhere.

It seems to feel like a godsend to lose against Chelsea on the third last game of the season after 11 straight wins, anymore games left and you just have to feel the momentum was not only dying but completely dead.

Phil Dowd had a shocker and I can't help but laugh that Dummett's straight red was down to the traveling geordies calling him a fat bastard throughout the second half.

Still, you have to mention a second place finish above all expectations and the the singing well into the night. But still, I feel crushed.

You were at a different game to me.... ???
From the Country of Liverpool

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 10:18:30 am »

I don't think Anfield was shockingly quiet at all. It wasn't as loud as the City game, but it was definitely miles better than your average league game. If any good news had come from the City game I think the atmosphere would have been mental.

Offline Chris Vincent

• This is how I interpret myself.
  • Anny Roader
  • The Liverpool Way - Fierce But Fair
    • Liverpool FC
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 10:42:33 am »
Overall, it was a great season for Liverpool, they won against Newcastle (which was the most important thing) but they underperformed in that match.

Pre-Match

The most important thing for Liverpool in relation to the Newcastle match was to win it: (1) there was still a chance that Liverpool could have won the league & (2) it would have been a morale-boosting victory. Liverpool did win the match but they did it the hard way.

Going into the game, there was still a small chance that Liverpool could overtake Man City and win the league. Granted, it was a 1/20 or 1/25 chance (those are estimates), but the possibility was very much real. However, The Reds went into the game looking defeated. This may be explained by what had happened in the past few days - not the Crystal Palace draw per se, but the events following that draw.

There were 2 things that had happened that I did not like in the build-up to that match:

(1) Brendan Rodgers emphatically declared that the title race was over after the Crystal Palace draw. I don't think that it was only a passing despondency or that he was trying to put pressure on Man City; I think that he truly meant that. If you look at Brendan Rodgers's Body Language and listen to the Tone of his Voice following the Palace draw, the Congruency with which he made that statement speaks for itself.

(2) Talks of Brendan Rodgers extending of his contract resurfaced vehemently & disruptively during those few days. Normally, that's good news for Liverpool fans but here it had a disruptive influence given that the title race was not over. Why not wait for a few more days? The reason why FSG did not entertain negotiations on that front was supposedly not to distract Liverpool from their quest to the championship. Yet here they were already in discussions with Brendan despite the season & the title race not being over. So, it looks like everybody had pretty much given up.

I personally think that it's criminal to give up when there is still a realistic chance to win.

Brendan tried to put on a brave face in his pre-match conference for the Newcastle match, saying that that Liverpool would give their best to the last second but the belief was not there anymore. When the leader throws in the towel, then it is bound to cause negative ripples throughout the team and it did.

The Match

The Liverpool players did not play well at all. They looked defeated before even kicking the ball. Newcastle took the lead with a Skrtel own goal, but they also had another very good opportunity to make it 2-0 in that first half. At half-time, Brendan Rodgers & the players probably realised that they could not end the season on a defeat. They upped the tempo ever so slightly for the 2nd half, and capitalised on Newcastle's porous defence and abysmal defending at set-pieces to turn the match to 2-1. That's how it stayed till the end, despite Newcastle being reduced to 10 men and then later to 9.

Only 13 shots on goal (5 on target) [Newcastle had 8 Shots] with very few clear chances against an out-of-form opponent playing with 10 men for 25 mins - that's not the real Liverpool (although they had 66% Possession). Good enough for many other teams, but not for the Tsunami that are usually Liverpool (this season).

The bright light is that they won the match and finished the season on a 'small' high.

Time for Reflection

Despite looking dejected against Newcastle, Liverpool still managed to win the match, which shows that they can overcome disappointment (even if it is for a brief moment) to rustle up a victory. That victory was important for many reasons - to finish the season on a small high, to show that they can do their job in adverse conditions, to gather 84 points and to secure 2nd place. Those are good precedents for a Liverpool side that looks set to fight for the title for many years to come.

For Brendan Rodgers, it was the first time in his career that he was realistically fighting for the title or any major trophy at the highest level. He has shown that he has what it takes to succeed even if he did not win this time. Of course, he has made some mistakes along the way, like underestimating the value of great defending or giving up on the title when there was still a small chance that it could be won, but that was to be expected. As he has shown in the past, he learns from his mistakes and he comes back stronger. So next year, Liverpool will have an even better & more experienced Brendan Rodgers as manager.

This was a phenomenal season & next season promises to be even more exciting with the return of Champions League football. 2nd Place in the Premier League, 84 points, 101 league goals, Champions League football guaranteed for next season, a Phenomenal Title Challenge, a Team that is being improved sensibly but potently, 5-6 potential new players announced, a manager who is over-delivering & gradually improving, Anfield expansion going forward as planned - that's a team on the up, a manager on the up and a club on the up.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:59:02 am by Chris Vincent »
Men & Women are Equal but Not Identical. They are the Same in Many Ways but also Different in Others. That Difference should be Celebrated & Embraced.

A Man has to be a Man, Strong & Dominant, while at the same time be Sensitive to the Specific Needs of a Woman & Admire her Inner Beauty.

Liverpool FC

Online wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 10:52:47 am »
It looked to me as if the players had absolutely zero faith that West Ham would do anything at the Etihad.  Johnson has to still be injured or I suspect he's played his last game for us.  I didn't see Sturridge touch the ball for a 20 minute period in the first half, although that was not necessarily his fault.

Have we been found out? - is there a game plan that really effectively stifles us (the Chelsea model) and we find difficult to break down?  If so, everyone will play that way against us, particularly in the first half of next season, so we need a way to counter this.  I mean we never looked like scoring against Newcastle other than from a set piece.

Oh, and Lucas really loves giving away free kicks around the edge of our area in situations where he doesn't have to.

Still, it's over now and we managed to not come third.  I said to some mates before Sunday that the day would be a damp squib and so it proved to be.

But oh, what a magnificent season.  Lots of breathtaking football and we missed out by a whisker.  Margins, eh?
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline mjk

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 11:20:08 am »
I'll just leave this here: Newcastle's set piece tactics

(Got a look behind the scenes at Anfield. Newcastle's set piece tactics still in the away dressing room)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 12:38:58 pm »
^  thanks for posting.

What a mad game - as usual for the tricky reds.

was there much chatter on here, in the pubs re. the disallowed free kick? what an astonishing piece of skill. that helps define his genus - what a player, and what a great season.
It was no surprise we conceded straight afterwards, the frustration with the ref at those moments must kill concentration.

i agree with these chaps below, when Brendan wanted to change thing up he did, and what a clever little change it was. And brilliantly executed by Sterling, what a player he is turning out to be.

lastly in defence of Johnson, he's taken a bit of stick on here in recent weeks, and I noticed from quite a few hard- to-please Kemlyn roaders in the front rows!

I think Brendan trusts him 100% (as do the rest of his team-mates). The amount of our play that come down the right I think confirms that, we are very limited when we don't have him (as we have seen this season). Every ball pinged at him from all heights, angles and velocities is instantly under control and we're off again on the front foot. Add in the fact he is carrying an injury and I think the criticism is harsh, especially when you consider the alternatives available.

Although to contradict Myself - how about Glen, Agger and Sakho  in a back 3 with Sterling and Enrique next season. there's a plan B for you.

I want to comment on the switch to 3-4-3
But still there was a stroke of genius from Rodgers....
Released sterling to cause all sorts of problems for Newcastle....
We also saw Johnson as a third centre back.....maybe his future?

Discussion of the tactical/formation shift in the 2H (and before they were reduced to 10 - then 9 - men) is worthy of expert analysis (i.e. not from me).

I thought it was brilliant and it showed us what our managerial staff are capable of 'on the fly'.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:41:10 pm by kavah »

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 04:27:37 pm »

Oh, and Lucas really loves giving away free kicks around the edge of our area in situations where he doesn't have to.

When the ref is conned, it is customary for LFC supporters not to take the 'word' of the referee and to avoid berating our player(s), directly or via sarcasm.

And that, "boys and girls", ladies and gentlemen, was the "silly foul Lucas gave away". Actually, the foul neither Lucas nor Agger gave away. Rather, the foul that Phil Dowd was conned by Ameobe Jr.'s pathetic display to give to NUFC.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 05:06:36 pm by GrkStav »
Ludi Circenses!

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 04:35:55 pm »

But we do score, it's what happens in between the scoring which causes us problems. I think it's save to say that we score at least one in every game, if we manage to be more patient in between and learn how to rest with the ball for longer periods within a game while tempting our opponets out of their comfort zone and waiting for the right space to open up we will be fine.

If we continue to waste our energy with trying to outscore our oppents though when already being up by two we will be fucked by christmas with two games a week and teams having already adopted to our attacking style. There is nothing wrong starting with a lot of thunder for the firt 10-15 minutes of every game and try to score early but we simply have to be more clever for the rest of a game time..
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 04:39:25 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 04:59:13 pm »
Overall, it was a great season for Liverpool, they won against Newcastle (which was the most important thing) but they underperformed in that match.

Pre-Match

The most important thing for Liverpool in relation to the Newcastle match was to win it: (1) there was still a chance that Liverpool could have won the league & (2) it would have been a morale-boosting victory. Liverpool did win the match but they did it the hard way.

Going into the game, there was still a small chance that Liverpool could overtake Man City and win the league. Granted, it was a 1/20 or 1/25 chance (those are estimates), but the possibility was very much real. However, The Reds went into the game looking defeated. This may be explained by what had happened in the past few days - not the Crystal Palace draw per se, but the events following that draw.

There were 2 things that had happened that I did not like in the build-up to that match:

(1) Brendan Rodgers emphatically declared that the title race was over after the Crystal Palace draw. I don't think that it was only a passing despondency or that he was trying to put pressure on Man City; I think that he truly meant that. If you look at Brendan Rodgers's Body Language and listen to the Tone of his Voice following the Palace draw, the Congruency with which he made that statement speaks for itself.

It was over though. He knew it because the players were emotionally shattered after the Palace game, which showed in the way they played the Newcastle game. If there's one thing guaranteed to lose a dressing room, it's a manager who is unrealistic. Look at Moyes talking about United as if they were out of the top 5 before he went to United; or Hodgson talking about Liverpool as if they were a relegation side the season before; or Sherwood talking about himself like the second coming of Rinus Michels. Players are sensitive to bulls***, and if they think their manager is talking out of turn, they lose some respect for him. Rodgers was being realistic in the context of the frame of mind of the players. For them, it was over, and he merely reported that to the wider world in the heat of the dying embers of an emotional draw. There is nothing criminal about that. That's management. The players didn't believe anymore, after the Palace result. They knew it was over, he knew it was over, and really, so did we. But we all wanted to ride the high just a few days more, because it's been such a thrilling ride. But make no mistake. The moment the final whistle went against Palace, the planning for next season's challenge had begun - for both the players and the manager.

(2) Talks of Brendan Rodgers extending of his contract resurfaced vehemently & disruptively during those few days. Normally, that's good news for Liverpool fans but here it had a disruptive influence given that the title race was not over. Why not wait for a few more days? The reason why FSG did not entertain negotiations on that front was supposedly not to distract Liverpool from their quest to the championship. Yet here they were already in discussions with Brendan despite the season & the title race not being over. So, it looks like everybody had pretty much given up.

The contract discussions had no bearing on anything. The players and the manager were fully focused on the jobs at hand. There were no contract distractions. If anything, the biggest distraction might have been the World Cup.

I personally think that it's criminal to give up when there is still a realistic chance to win.

Brendan tried to put on a brave face in his pre-match conference for the Newcastle match, saying that that Liverpool would give their best to the last second but the belief was not there anymore. When the leader throws in the towel, then it is bound to cause negative ripples throughout the team and it did.

Did you not see the players on the ground after the Palace game? Did you not see Suarez in tears. They knew. It was over when the third Palace goal went in. Nothing criminal about that. Football people know what's what in those situations. You can't kid them. They knew they'd lost it when it was in their grasp. On the plus side, if we get into a similar situation again next season, the outcomes will undoubtedly be different.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 05:07:07 pm »

We don't have enough players who can play the tight one-touch football needed to play in those small spaces. Suarez can't do it (he's a dribbler); Sterling can't do it; Henderson can't do it; Sturridge can't; Flanagan can't. We're essentially a dribbling and two-touch passing team. I'd say Rodgers will be looking at players with long range shots, and who can play tight combinations like City do. Or someone with genuine power who can run at defenders with the ball and knock them over or force the foul. Lallana looks like he can play in tight spaces, but I wonder if we'll not also look for someone who can smash a ball low and hard from 25 yards out? If we're going to be playing against more low-block teams, then we need a bit more guile than what we currently have.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 05:08:46 pm »
That I would experience a repeat performance, in written words this time, of Robbie Earle's clueless, illogical, contradictory half-time 'analysis' I would never imagine in a million years, not on RAWK, not in a Round Table thread.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 05:25:24 pm »
Breaking down teams who play deep and with numbers, i.e overcoming the Chelsea bus and the Newcastle copycat attempt, is down to moving the ball quickly in between the spaces, and being able to score goals from outside the box from open play.

Its no co-incidence to me that when Chelsea parked the bus and we went one goal down, our main attacking threat was channeled toward trying to get Stevie a shot off from outside the box. There is only one other player in the team who can handle that task and it is Suarez, who was needed higher up the field.

We need to sign a player who can take on that task and be a real threat. First it offers an important scoring option in all games, but specifically the "parked bus" games, and two it gives Stevie the breathing room to feel comfortable staying in deeper - which I think he will happily do.

So either Coutinho, Allen or Henderson step up (which I think its not likely) or we find a guy.

Agree with PoP about Lallana being a quick interchange guy, from what I have seen, but I also think that Brendan works on this one touch stuff in training as an important development to have next season.

Offline Cork Red

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 06:19:31 pm »
Hats off to the supporters again for the great reception the team got coming down the Annie Road and the numbers who stayed on well after the final whistle had gone!  It'll be some hard act to follow next year!

As for the match itself, the mental strain of the last few weeks had clearly taken it's toll on the players and we struggled up until we got the first goal.  It'd have been awful to finish such a great season on a low so credit to the boys for rallying and putting the Geordies back in their box.

The last two times we finished as runners up we slipped off the radar the following year, but I'm 100% positive that won't happen this time.  We have a young team brimming with potential, a great young manager and we've finally got a secure financial base on which to build.  Back on our perch?  Not quite yet, but we're getting there.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 07:36:41 pm »
But we do score, it's what happens in between the scoring which causes us problems. I think it's save to say that we score at least one in every game, if we manage to be more patient in between and learn how to rest with the ball for longer periods within a game while tempting our opponets out of their comfort zone and waiting for the right space to open up we will be fine.

If we continue to waste our energy with trying to outscore our oppents though when already being up by two we will be fucked by christmas with two games a week and teams having already adopted to our attacking style. There is nothing wrong starting with a lot of thunder for the firt 10-15 minutes of every game and try to score early but we simply have to be more clever for the rest of a game time..
I don't think you're getting the point I'm making - Yes, you're correct there is nothing wrong in going 'at' teams. The problem is when teams have that sussed and know how to hurt our attack, by killing the space, its what we do then that is the critical point.

We don't have enough players who can play the tight one-touch football needed to play in those small spaces. Suarez can't do it (he's a dribbler); Sterling can't do it; Henderson can't do it; Sturridge can't; Flanagan can't. We're essentially a dribbling and two-touch passing team. I'd say Rodgers will be looking at players with long range shots, and who can play tight combinations like City do. Or someone with genuine power who can run at defenders with the ball and knock them over or force the foul. Lallana looks like he can play in tight spaces, but I wonder if we'll not also look for someone who can smash a ball low and hard from 25 yards out? If we're going to be playing against more low-block teams, then we need a bit more guile than what we currently have.
Guile - one of them great footballing words that indicates someone or someones teams, are using their loaf to overcome a problem or situation.

Europe next season will be that, and then some, and especially with teams also doing their homework and founding out what hurts us most. The two stand out examples recently will be Newcastle and Chelsea.

Mr Rodgers will be on as big, if not more, bigger learning curve than his team will be.

Its going to be one interesting ride in Europe next season. I hope our 'wanting to dream' fan-base have the stomach for the difficult times ahead.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 07:46:55 pm »
I don't think you're getting the point I'm making - Yes, you're correct there is nothing wrong in going 'at' teams. The problem is when teams have that sussed and know how to hurt our attack, by killing the space, its what we do then that is the critical point.
Guile - one of them great footballing words that indicates someone or someones teams, are using their loaf to overcome a problem or situation.

Europe next season will be that, and then some, and especially with teams also doing their homework and founding out what hurts us most. The two stand out examples recently will be Newcastle and Chelsea.

Mr Rodgers will be on as big, if not more, bigger learning curve than his team will be.

Its going to be one interesting ride in Europe next season. I hope our 'wanting to dream' fan-base have the stomach for the difficult times ahead.

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 07:55:51 pm »

Not too much to add except that I thought Dowd did a few things right in the light of the appalling performance against Chelsea. Instead of pointing to his watch, Dowd booked a Newcastle player early on for time wasting and it wasn't an issue for the rest of the game.

Other than that, I thought it was the game it was always going to be. I hoped something might happen but the truth is we lost the league at Chelsea. Gerrard was still clearly affected by the Chelsea game and he wasn't alone. The bottom line is that this was our 26th win of the season and our 101st goal. If the Chelsea and Palace games had been earlier in the year our form for the whole season and 2014 in particular would have been better appreciated for the incredible performance it was.

We all love a narrative and we all knew what the narrative was meant to be but sadly it just didn't happen. There's very little to be learned from any analysis of that game and the acid test will be what we do in the transfer window and what we do next season.

On a final note - there are a few on this site who need to learn that a game lasts for 90 minutes.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 07:57:41 pm »
Honestly I thought the lads proper felt the draw to Crystal Palace, while Chelsea was a set back I think the knockout blow came at Crystal Palace.

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 08:37:59 pm »
Honestly I thought the lads proper felt the draw to Crystal Palace, while Chelsea was a set back I think the knockout blow came at Crystal Palace.
To be honest anytime you give up a three goal lead your going to feel it like a kick in the nuts, and will see players dropping to their knees in anguish.
This was like that but squared.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 08:38:48 pm »
To be honest anytime you give up a three goal lead your going to feel it like a kick in the nuts, and will see players dropping to their knees in anguish.
This was like that but squared.

Agreed, but I think they knew in their hearts that it was truly gone there. No hope left kinda thing.

Online redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 08:40:06 pm »
Not too much to add except that I thought Dowd did a few things right in the light of the appalling performance against Chelsea. Instead of pointing to his watch, Dowd booked a Newcastle player early on for time wasting and it wasn't an issue for the rest of the game.

Other than that, I thought it was the game it was always going to be. I hoped something might happen but the truth is we lost the league at Chelsea. Gerrard was still clearly affected by the Chelsea game and he wasn't alone. The bottom line is that this was our 26th win of the season and our 101st goal. If the Chelsea and Palace games had been earlier in the year our form for the whole season and 2014 in particular would have been better appreciated for the incredible performance it was.

We all love a narrative and we all knew what the narrative was meant to be but sadly it just didn't happen. There's very little to be learned from any analysis of that game and the acid test will be what we do in the transfer window and what we do next season.

On a final note - there are a few on this site who need to learn that a game lasts for 90 minutes.

I noted Dowd's proactive approach to time wasting as well. I also saw Neil Swarbrick  take similar line the previous week when he booked a Norwich player at Chelsea (ironically) after 60 mins for delaying a throw-in. I would wager they had looked at the Chelsea tactics post Anfield game and realised the rule had not been enforced. Pointing at a watch and adding time on is incorrect.

It was a magnificent effort by BR, his staff, and the team. A point at home in the Chelsea game could have seen us have a second half season of P19, W16,D3,L0 .... 51pts as the Palace game would have not had the "how many goals" mentality  but a similar result that Man City got there.

The first half of the season ended at S.B. with that Chelsea defeat when once again they set out with specific tactics to negate us. Rough us up was the choice. I think Brendan had two draws against Chelsea in his first season so I think he will be up for beating them next time round buses or no buses.

No 6pts next season from Norwich and if we have trips to Leicester and Derby it will be just like the 70's again with no Baseball Ground or Filbert St. I just hope Newcastle continue to see red in our encounters as they self destructed again on Sunday.

It's been a pleasure to go to watch us this season and 16 wins at home is such a turnaround from all those tepid draws we used to have. Fortress Anfield again, which is why we set out to beat the plastics. It's in our DNA now.

We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2014, 08:43:17 pm »
The Chelsea game is the reason we ain't champions, we get something out of that, the Palace collapse doesn't happen.

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2014, 09:05:36 pm »
The Chelsea game is the reason we ain't champions, we get something out of that, the Palace collapse doesn't happen.

I think you're right - a boring draw or a win would win it. Or we win itt, and the draw against Palace and the laboured win against Newcastle wins us the league.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 09:08:31 pm »
Did you not see the players on the ground after the Palace game? Did you not see Suarez in tears. They knew. It was over when the third Palace goal went in. Nothing criminal about that. Football people know what's what in those situations. You can't kid them. They knew they'd lost it when it was in their grasp. On the plus side, if we get into a similar situation again next season, the outcomes will undoubtedly be different.

I think they knew it was over after Chelsea - the Palace game was when they had to accept it. That's why it hurt so much.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 09:56:54 pm »
I think they knew it was over after Chelsea - the Palace game was when they had to accept it. That's why it hurt so much.

That's probably a better way of putting it.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 08:49:55 am »

Yeah, I agree, my point was that it's about being patient and waiting for the right space to open up which will happen whenever we manage to be more patient, especially in the in the final third ... some would refer to this as "boring passing" which is, to me, the answer to teams like Chelsea where we went for the direct ball way too often...instead, we should have made them tired with our passing game. As much as it's impossible to play pressing for the entire 90 minutes for an attacking team,  it's impossible to chase the ball for the entire length of a game for a defending team either and more often than not the mistakes in defending will come towards the end of a game after trying to close down spaces for passing angles and through balls all game long... death by football and all that. Being patient overall, and signings attacking players with less pace and more creativity will probably help.. (or trusting Lucas further up the pitch).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:08:08 pm by steveeastend »