Author Topic: Whisky Drinkers  (Read 138965 times)

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Whisky Drinkers
« Reply #1080 on: November 3, 2023, 11:59:27 am »
Personally, I like Nikka From the Barrel, the spicy and fruity notes are different from any Scotch I have had.

In general, I am a fan of Japanese whisky, there is more complexity of flavour than you find in many other whiskeys from outside Scotland.
Justice for the 96!

Offline apassant77

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1081 on: November 15, 2023, 12:42:46 pm »
Anybody tried Smokehead?

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1082 on: November 19, 2023, 08:54:57 am »

Rare 1926 Macallan whisky becomes world’s most expensive bottle at £2.1m
Record smashed at auction of one of 40 bottles of oldest-ever Macallan vintage, described as ‘rich, rich dram’

The record for the world’s most expensive bottle of whisky has been broken after a bottle of Macallan 1926 went for £2.1m at a Sotheby’s auction in London.

The sale set a new record for any bottle of spirit or wine sold at auction, the auction house told the AFP news agency.

The rare bottle had been expected to raise between £750,000 and £1.2m but surpassed estimates to fetch £2,187,500 on Saturday.

One of the Macallan 1926 bottles had set a previous record for the most expensive bottle ever sold in 2019, when it fetched £1.5m at Sotheby’s.

Sotheby’s head of whisky, Jonny Fowle, told AFP that he had been allowed to sample the valuable dram before the sale.

Fowle said: “I tasted a tiny drop – a tiny drop – of this. It’s very rich, it’s got a lot of dried fruit as you would expect, a lot of spice, a lot of wood.”

He added it had spent 60 years in dark European oak, which was reflected in the colour. “It’s not a whisky to take lightly. It’s a rich, rich dram, but it is incredible,” Fowle said.

The Adami 1926 is the oldest Macallan vintage ever produced.

The bottles are among only 40 that Macallan, based in Moray, northern Scotland, has confirmed were bottled from Cask 263 in 1986.

However, these were not made available for purchase and were instead offered to Macallan’s top clients.

Records are broken each time one appears at auction: between 2018 and 2019, the record was broken three times by three of the different variations: Sir Peter Blake, Michael Dillon, and Fine and Rare.

The record-breaking bottle is one of the 12 Macallan 1926 bottles that in 1993 had their labels designed by the Italian painter Valerio Adami.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/nov/18/rare-1926-macallan-whisky-becomes-worlds-most-expensive-bottle-at-21m
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #1083 on: November 19, 2023, 09:33:20 am »
Anybody tried Smokehead?
Yes, had a few bottles of it over the years. I like a smokey whisky so like this a lot. Rumour has it that it’s Ardbeg, maybe a young version of.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1084 on: November 24, 2023, 08:03:44 pm »
I decided to finish off the Bushmills 12 year old that has been lurking at the back of the alcohol cabinet. Superb, everything I like about the Busmills 10 with none of the rough edges. Shame they no longer make it.
Justice for the 96!

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1085 on: November 24, 2023, 09:34:16 pm »
I decided to finish off the Bushmills 12 year old that has been lurking at the back of the alcohol cabinet. Superb, everything I like about the Busmills 10 with none of the rough edges. Shame they no longer make it.
Check again.

https://bushmills.com/whiskeys/12-year/
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1086 on: November 24, 2023, 09:39:21 pm »
Anyone else tried the single malt Speyside from Sainsburys?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1087 on: November 24, 2023, 11:06:11 pm »
Treated myself to a bottle as I'd finished 2 this week and Tipples had Black Friday reductions: Berry Bros. Irish Single Malt Reserve. No age statement but never had a BBR bottle before so thought I'd get one in - it's for the dining room decanter so the bottle's mainly for show anyway.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline MrGrumpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: November 25, 2023, 03:00:02 pm »
Check again.

https://bushmills.com/whiskeys/12-year/

Thanks, will seek out this or the Glendronach 15 when my Glenmorangie 12 runs out.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1089 on: November 28, 2023, 03:11:35 pm »
I've seen lots of glitzy, trendy type adverts lately for a variety of Whiskies.  Johnnie Walker, Singleton, and Glenfiddich immediately spring to mind.

Yeah, Christmas is coming, but I've noticed the advertising campaigns appear to be aimed at a much younger generation that is usually associated with drinking Whisky.  The ads I have seen also feature quite a large number of females.  I honestly can't remember seeing many young people, especially young females, ordering a Scotch.

Just an observation but looks like the Whisky manufacturers are trying to tap into a new market.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1090 on: December 5, 2023, 09:46:03 pm »
Wife bought me a Lagavulin 16yo

If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline MrGrumpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1091 on: December 9, 2023, 03:51:03 pm »
Tried Speyburn Bradan Orach earier, it’s neither brilliant nor terrible.

The Glenfiddich 15 I tried a few minutes later was decidedly Christmasy. While I am not a fan of the 12 year old Glenfiddich, the 15 is a great winter whisky.
Justice for the 96!

Offline MrGrumpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1092 on: December 17, 2023, 07:11:47 pm »
I tried Penderyn Welsh whisky yesterday. Extremely pleasant stuff that reminded me of a good Irish whisky.
Justice for the 96!

Offline BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1093 on: December 28, 2023, 06:55:23 am »
My lad has been buying me the 15 year old Glenfiddich the last couple of years.  This year he decided I deserve an upgrade, but considered the 18 as not being worth it - bought me a Glenfiddich 21 year-old instead!  Surprised and dead chuffed I have to say  8)

Anyone tried it?
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Offline Cohiba

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #1094 on: December 28, 2023, 10:45:28 pm »
Aye, it's a nice dram that. My daughter bought me a 15 year old Dalmore for Christmas, lovely stuff. Big result, though I wonder what it will cost me in the end  ;D
Every great achievement
Was believed to be impossible at one time

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1095 on: February 4, 2024, 08:35:09 am »

An article written by a friend of my brother-in-law reviewing the Johnnie Walker experience in Edinburgh. I used to work in the building photographed. It was originally the Whisky Bond, became a shop and a warehouse and is now council offices.

https://scottishleftreview.scot/keep-walking-the-johnnie-walker-experience-in-edinburgh/
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.