Author Topic: 6 months of Roy Hodgson quotes  (Read 140468 times)

Offline Festy

• Kopite
  • Best RAWK poster of the year 2010-11
Re: 6 months of Roy Hodgson quotes
« Reply #320 on: December 21, 2010, 12:16:08 pm »
The premise of that is something like:

I don't need new players because I think the players I have might be o.k,but they might not so I might want some players,but if the owners tell me I can't have any money then I'll agree that we should work with the players we have as that's what I was brought in to do,but if they say I can have money I'll snap their hand off because I think we need more players because the ones we have are not good enough.

However if I get rid of players (like I already have) then the ones I buy might not be any good, even though I will have a team of scouts looking at them for the past 6 months and the DoF will have also run the rule over them. I mean it's fine saying buy Messi because he's a big name, but when he's here he might not be able to play at the back and that will seem like he isn't a good player, which if he doesn't do what I want him to do he obviously won't be.......so it's a gamble.

Saying that I could do with some more players who will be guaranteed to be as good as I think they are and who will be able to tell me where they play in the team before I buy them. It's important that we have money to spend to get us back to where we were, just like the Liverpool of old, when legends like Traore, Biscan, Le Tallec and Diomede were here. We need to be in Champins League finals and challenging for the league like we were many, many , many years ago as we haven't done that since I was a player myself and based my whole coaching philosophy on Bob Paisleys Liverpool teams. I have a photo of Bob in a box somewhere.....so that shows I am a real student of the pass and move philosophy.
We just need the right players to play that way. I need new players........or maybe I don't. I could do with some though.......well maybe not. It depends on if the owners tell me I do.

I might ring 'Arry and see what he says.

:lmao

..it's sad though :(

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: December 21, 2010, 12:16:14 pm »
"I think I would be a good comparison with Tottenham because Harry [Redknapp] came in there just as I came into Fulham so he will just be completing three years and he has brought in a lot of players. So to really call it my team, I would have had to make a slightly bigger impact on those who have been brought in."

Current circumstances is breaking my heart. All this Roy bashing, Rafa loving, Rafa bashing is annoying, boring and tiresome. However seeing this quote had me thinking, most of the signings Redknapp has provided have been ok. Most of his current top players were signed under previous regimes. Then I was thinking, am sure it has only been two tears since the wheeler-dealer has been there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/3260918/Harry-Redknapp-appointed-Tottenham-manager-as-Juande-Ramos-sacked-Football.html

Hopefully times will change and we can all support our club with pride. It will take time but it's so hard. The sooner the new CEO is appointed the better, then the club can keep moving into a successful direction.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:18:38 pm by RyanMoignard »

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: December 21, 2010, 12:16:33 pm »

I don't need new players because I think the players I have might be o.k,but they might not so I might want some players,but if the owners tell me I can't have any money then I'll agree that we should work with the players we have as that's what I was brought in to do,but if they say I can have money I'll snap their hand off because I think we need more players because the ones we have are not good enough.

However if I get rid of players (like I already have) then the ones I buy might not be any good, even though I will have a team of scouts looking at them for the past 6 months and the DoF will have also run the rule over them. I mean it's fine saying buy Messi because he's a big name, but when he's here he might not be able to play at the back and that will seem like he isn't a good player, which if he doesn't do what I want him to do he obviously won't be.......so it's a gamble.

Saying that I could do with some more players who will be guaranteed to be as good as I think they are and who will be able to tell me where they play in the team before I buy them. It's important that we have money to spend to get us back to where we were, just like the Liverpool of old, when legends like Traore, Biscan, Le Tallec and Diomede were here. We need to be in Champins League finals and challenging for the league like we were many, many , many years ago as we haven't done that since I was a player myself and based my whole coaching philosophy on Bob Paisleys Liverpool teams. I have a photo of Bob in a box somewhere.....so that shows I am a real student of the pass and move philosophy.
We just need the right players to play that way. I need new players........or maybe I don't. I could do with some though.......well maybe not. It depends on if the owners tell me I do.

Is that you Hodgson? Uncannily perceptive to the goings on inside Hodgson's labyrinthine mind and its workings.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Festy

• Kopite
  • Best RAWK poster of the year 2010-11
« Reply #323 on: December 21, 2010, 12:17:53 pm »
the man is quite cunning, using his 35 years of survival instinct to try and stay in the job for more than few months.

fixed it for accuracy.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:19:43 pm by Festy »

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: December 21, 2010, 12:22:37 pm »
the man is quite cunning, using his 35 years of survival instinct to try and stay in the job
Really?  I think he is using his experience to get sacked, get his payout and keep his reputation in tact
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: December 21, 2010, 12:23:41 pm »
December 21, 2010

"I would plead for patience really," said the Liverpool boss. "Of course we want Liverpool to be the Liverpool of old. We want to be up there every year competing in the Champions League.

"But we might have to accept that it will take us more than a few months. That would be a small price to pay if you get it right. You only have to look at teams who have tried to stay in the league or get into the top four.

"Clubs have virtually been destroyed by people making bad decisions. It's not because the owners haven't given money or supported the manager. It's just that they have brought in the wrong people

Those are fair comments for me.

Quote from: Martin Broughton
“He wanted to focus on how he could get more out of the existing players. His focus wasn’t on ‘how much money can I have?’ or ‘I want to bring this person or that person in’. He was really focused on ‘I believe I’ve got a track record that demonstrates it, that I can take the existing players, get much better performances out of them and buy constructively to build for a better future”.
They really aren't.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline Jocko

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #326 on: December 21, 2010, 12:24:47 pm »
I can honestly say now that if Hodgson is still manager of Liverpool FC come the new season (As is looking increasingly likely) then I'll be saving a lot of money. Be interesting to see how many people are going to the games after Christmas/New Year. I predict that we'll start getting the lowest attendances we've seen. Having spoken to Season Ticket mates that can't even be arsed going on their season tickets, I think it might start to get embarrasing.

Mate, you are spot on there. There are three of us that go together, all season tickets. None of us are going to the Woles or Bolton games. There is a bit of Christmas about it, but I truely can't be arsed. I don't even have the excuse that I have miles to travel.

It's fucking painful watching counter attack football at home. The defence nailed to the 18 yard box inviting pressure.

Offline petrichor

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #327 on: December 21, 2010, 12:32:14 pm »
Really?  I think he is using his experience to get sacked, get his payout and keep his reputation in tact

i think he's trying to convey the message to NESV that he's looking to save them money and help their profits
he's been saying all the time he needs his own signings and then now he's suggesting he may use the  current squad and wants us to be patient while he builds results
NESV could like this idea

Offline paisley84

• Main Stander
« Reply #328 on: December 21, 2010, 12:32:46 pm »

ah ha ha thats basically it isnt it you can literally see the cogs going round in his head. heard it said that he's too honest for his own good, utter utter rubbish, so intent is he on playing the game, so intent on painting a picture for you, of covering his own back that quite often i dont think even he can remember what he started out trying to talk about in the first place. the the truth is nowhere to be seen.  what amuses me most is that such is his arrogance such is the esteem in which he holds his audience, when he paints these pictures he feels his work is so water tight so comprehensive that he can paint the picture, leave it with you and you wont see his his thought process, wont fill in the gaps. a case in point with the purslow expendable player list and the glaring omissions.

same thing thats srawled across the stars is written under our skin

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #329 on: December 21, 2010, 12:35:10 pm »
Backtracking from his 5-6 new playrs, squad to thin (which was at first a back-track in itself) as he knows he is only here til June and won't be given any money to spend in January.

Not sure why not just get rid now though if that is the case.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Dred_me

• Main Stander
« Reply #330 on: December 21, 2010, 12:38:06 pm »
a lot of us need a reality check! unfortunately for roy, the fans were prejudiced against him even b4 his first game and it hasn't helped that he has begun his career with liverpool rather poorly. it's a shame at no point in his career with us has he been fully backed by the fans. i think it's fair on his part to ask for patience. thanks to H&G we've been plunged into the levels of mediocrity, we're are starting from scratch and we need to understand that. let's see how he fares with 'his' team and then judge him accordingly. look at Rafa at Inter, he inherited a squad that won the treble, yet he still struggles. i'm sure rafa will succeed eventually (given he's not fired in the coming days) if he has it his way. not sure about Roy, could go either way, but for the moment let's give him the benefit of doubt. 

Offline AnnieRoad(Un)Faithful

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Olivavu
« Reply #331 on: December 21, 2010, 12:39:18 pm »
He doesn't have a clue and doesn't seem to give a shit what the fans think...because he's so great in his mind.
"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #332 on: December 21, 2010, 12:47:07 pm »
a lot of us need a reality check! unfortunately for roy, the fans were prejudiced against him even before his first game and it hasn't helped that he has begun his career with liverpool rather poorly. it's a shame at no point in his career with us has he been fully backed by the fans. i think it's fair on his part to ask for patience. thanks to H&G we've been plunged into the levels of mediocrity, we're are starting from scratch and we need to understand that. let's see how he fares with 'his' team and then judge him accordingly. look at Rafa at Inter, he inherited a squad that won the treble, yet he still struggles. i'm sure rafa will succeed eventually (given he's not fired in the coming days) if he has it his way. not sure about Roy, could go either way, but for the moment let's give him the benefit of doubt. 

Why should anyone give him a chance? I didn't want him here. It was totally clear before he was appointed by the idiot that he wasn't anywhere near the standards that Liverpool FC should be looking for. He's a washed-up never-has-been never-will-be member of the LMA, buddying it up with his stupid LMA mates and the crappy fawning English media. I was against his appointment from day one and I've been against it and will be against it every waking second. The fact that someone some ridiculously average was ever allowed to darken our doors is something that will hang heavy on the club for decades to come. He's already well on to finishing the job that Gillette and Hicks did and everytime I see one of this incomprehensible, whining, crying, blame-fests of a press conference and every time I see his stupid face rubbish idioticy shambling around on our touchline I just want him out all the more.

Terrible, terrible manager. Appointed by an idiot at the wrong time for the wrong reasons. I can't stand the man being anywhere near our club. He is a total joke and an embarrasment to the club.

The only time I'll ever be happy with Roy is when he's hoofed unceremoniously out of the door along with Poulsen and Konchesky.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline El Diablos

• The Chronologically Trousered Philanthropist
  • Legacy Fan
  • All posts copyright of Alan Smithee
« Reply #333 on: December 21, 2010, 12:47:09 pm »

arf...very very good sir, it has the fumble minded hedge betting ratiocinations of our esteemed leader down to a tee

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: December 21, 2010, 12:50:14 pm »
Mate, you are spot on there. There are three of us that go together, all season tickets. None of us are going to the Woles or Bolton games. There is a bit of Christmas about it, but I truely can't be arsed. I don't even have the excuse that I have miles to travel.

It's fucking painful watching counter attack football at home. The defence nailed to the 18 yard box inviting pressure.

Agreed.

I usually go to most home games but haven't been back since Sunderland. A few of my match going mates have jibbed it of late as well, due to what Hodgson is doing to our club. It's difficult to justify forking out large amounts of money for a cause you have absolutely no belief in. In all my years of supporting us I've never known us play such ugly negative football. 

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: December 21, 2010, 12:53:47 pm »
What annoys me most is the fact he has enough time to speak to the press every bloody day, yet on the pitch no positive directions to the players just face rubs. Our players look to the bench for inspiration and see that, how does one think that will inspire confidence in the players.

He is a media whore, who should be focusing on winning football matchs rather than make up excuses before hand and afterwards when we don't.

Offline koppper

• Berrg
  • Kopite
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #336 on: December 21, 2010, 12:55:50 pm »
Any chance on us getting Anonymous to do a DDoS attck on our manager?
My postillion has been struck by lightning

I am the berrgman

Offline Jocko

• Anny Roader
« Reply #337 on: December 21, 2010, 12:59:56 pm »
He's been flavour of the month for sometime. Remember the clamour for him as England manager because he had worked abroad. In Euro 96 him and Venables were lauded, it was comical what went on that summer. The Venables Christmas tree formation was siezed upon as if he'd found the holy grail and Hodgeson was such a sophisticated coach. Just so happened both were International coaches during the worst period of Internation football in living memory. No coincidence there for me.

It is some sort of rite of passage for English football that someone who has played abroad is automatically a better footballer and more knowledgable coach.

The man has never had the credentials required to manage Liverpool.

Offline Northern_Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #338 on: December 21, 2010, 01:01:49 pm »
What annoys me most is the fact he has enough time to speak to the press every bloody day, yet on the pitch no positive directions to the players just face rubs. Our players look to the bench for inspiration and see that, how does one think that will inspire confidence in the players.

He is a media whore, who should be focusing on winning football matchs rather than make up excuses before hand and afterwards when we don't.

Yep.

He's trying to keep his reputation as 'Mr Nice Guy' at the expense of the club, the players, and worst of all, the fans.

Offline theboyspen

• Winner of 2009's "First to give up on the Premier League" prize, 10.58pm, Sunday 2nd August 2009
  • Legacy Fan
  • "He made the people happy."
« Reply #339 on: December 21, 2010, 01:11:52 pm »
This snow is a pain in the arse but I could live with the cold, disrupted travel, higher energy prices, petrol increases, repeats on telly, unbefuckinlievable soap story-lines, stupid Royal baatard weddings and Christmas No. 1's....
All of this, as long as I get to see a different  managerial face looking out of the dugout, waving to the Kop while they sing his name!
"The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards."
"Red is my colour. I'll play for Liverpool as long as they will have me. I don't want to play for anybody else and when I pull off the red shirt for the last time I expect I will finish with football, at any rate as a player."McKinlay 1923

Offline Dam Sodd

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #340 on: December 21, 2010, 01:12:58 pm »
FOR POR SOR BOR DOR
Cool down and play

Offline jamiehill

• Kopite
  • MacIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt
« Reply #341 on: December 21, 2010, 01:17:47 pm »
a lot of us need a reality check! unfortunately for roy, the fans were prejudiced against him even before his first game and it hasn't helped that he has begun his career with liverpool rather poorly. it's a shame at no point in his career with us has he been fully backed by the fans. i think it's fair on his part to ask for patience. thanks to H&G we've been plunged into the levels of mediocrity, we're are starting from scratch and we need to understand that. let's see how he fares with 'his' team and then judge him accordingly. look at Rafa at Inter, he inherited a squad that won the treble, yet he still struggles. i'm sure rafa will succeed eventually (given he's not fired in the coming days) if he has it his way. not sure about Roy, could go either way, but for the moment let's give him the benefit of doubt. 

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/12/21/2270478/goalcom-uks-worst-premier-league-team-of-the-season-so-far

2 of Roy's signings are in this team and we have been linked with a 3rd.
The English club proved that miracles really do exist. I've now made Liverpool my English team. They showed that football is the most beautiful sport of all. They showed their unconditional support at half-time when they were losing 3-0 and still they didn't stop singing." Diego Maradona

Offline Jocko

• Anny Roader
« Reply #342 on: December 21, 2010, 01:17:55 pm »
Agreed.

I usually go to most home games but haven't been back since Sunderland. A few of my match going mates have jibbed it of late as well, due to what Hodgson is doing to our club. It's difficult to justify forking out large amounts of money for a cause you have absolutely no belief in. In all my years of supporting us I've never known us play such ugly negative football. 
That Sunderand game was a shambles. Good start albeit a bit lucky then we got passed to death by Lee Cattermole. I'd rather piss on my own feet than watch that again.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #343 on: December 21, 2010, 01:27:33 pm »

You are a brilliant translator, having read the original version you now make so very clear to me what was said and meant. Thank you
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: December 21, 2010, 01:35:54 pm »

He's had a good six months worth of the benefit of doubt and done nothing to warrant anymore.
Fuck him, the sooner he goes the better. I'm sick of his facepalming, morose, moribund tactics and his post and pre match crappy comments. I'm sick of the arse licking he gets from his pals at the BBC, SKY and the papers while he wrecks, what in essence was a decent side with his shite signings like Konchesky and Poulsen, trying to con us into believing that he has somehow inherited a fucking championship side from the previous dodgy spanish manager.
Sad fact is that plenty of bellends fall for it as well, the sky-fed mugs, we ended up with the manager they deserved.
I'd also shoot the shitehawk just for grinning with Moyes when they have just battered us. Unforgivable.
If he was dying of thirst in the desert i wouldn't give him the sweat from my nutsack
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:36:30 pm by lobsterboy »

Offline majestic_11

• Remembers Houllier's Champions League winning campaign fondly
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK OG
« Reply #345 on: December 21, 2010, 01:37:56 pm »

wrong wrong wrong! I was on the kop against Arsenal, i agree their was a major Benitez hangover but it was A new season and their was a little bit of hope fluttering away. That hope pissed off when it became obvious that Roy set his team out to defend deep and only press when the oppostion enter our half of the field!

He likes big strong uns at the back and also likes big strong uns up front so we can go back to front quickly! I still don't belive the crowd turned on him because of our on the field play, i believe it's because he is a snide old twat that has embrarrased our great sporting institution with the type of quotes highlighted by the op. To be fair we could all add more stupid quotes to  that list.......

We need to be led by an optimistic, we need to be loved and we need to be feared by others.....i can't see any of those qualities in mediocore Roy!

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: December 21, 2010, 01:57:21 pm »
It's not because the owners haven't given money or supported the manager. It's just that they have brought in the wrong people."

Like you for example Roy.

He keeps saying, at excruciating length, how he's been in discussions with "John" about transfer activity but his other comments don't suggest he's got a clue how much will be spent or who will be brought in.

Offline Mello

• Anny Roader
« Reply #347 on: December 21, 2010, 02:24:53 pm »

Idiot.  Roy may have had a shorter leash than previous managers but he was as fully backed by the supporters as you'll ever see a manager when the previous successful manager was sacked based on 1 bad season.  What have we lost that's brought us down to mediocrity (other than a quality manager)?  As said above, we have one of the best keepers, midfielders, and strikers in the world.  The rest of our squad has international quality most prem clubs would drool over.  Any slip toward mediocrity has been due to the players Hodgson brought in.  Hodgson was brought in to supposedly stabilize things.  He's completely failed at that.  He plays against the players strengths and mindlessly follows his own system.  What have you seen out of Roy that makes you think there's any hope of him improving?

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #348 on: December 21, 2010, 02:32:22 pm »
Hodgson bracing Liverpool FC fans for Champions League wilderness

Roy Hodgson has warned Liverpool fans that their Champions League drought could extend beyond this season.

A top four finish is still a remote possibility owing to the narrow margins of the Barclays Premier League table with nine points separating the ninth-placed Reds and Chelsea, who currently hold the final qualification spot.

But Hodgson is cautious of trying to secure a place in European football's premier club competition at all costs and cites the recent downfall of clubs such as Leeds United, whose attempts to reach the top level played a part in their demotion to the divisions below.

"I would plead for patience really," he said.

"Of course we want Liverpool to be the Liverpool of old. We want to be up there every year competing in the Champions League.

"But we might have to accept that it will take us more than a few months. That would be a small price to pay if you get it right. You only have to look at teams who have tried to stay in the league or get into the top four.

"Clubs have virtually been destroyed by people making bad decisions. It's not because the owners haven't given money or supported the manager. It's just that

they have brought in the wrong people."

Next month's transfer window provides the Kop boss the chance to strengthen with Eden Hazard, Ashley Young and Pablo Hernandez all believed to be on his January wish list.

Fenway Sports Group, the club's owners, are reluctant to splash the cash on short-term prospects and Hodgson is refusing to apply pressure on his new employers and agrees with their philosophy on investing in youth for medium to long-term gain.

He added: "If the owners want to invest a lot of money, that's up to them,.

"If we find the right players, I'm not going to be saying to them 'don't do it,'. I'm not that stupid. I want to work with the best players possible.

"But with the change that has gone on at the club and the new regime, it would be sensible for the new owners to be a bit more circumspect and get a closer look at everything.

"I don't think it would be a bad thing for us to keep testing out this squad of players.

"Before I start bringing players in, I've got to be aware that when I do, I will be pushing Shelvey or Kelly back. I've got to be convinced that the person coming in is the right one. That's the dilemma. When do we give the youngsters a chance?

"With that in mind, we have to be careful. My message to them would be - and it's no secret because I've had discussions with John about it - if the right players become available, and we really think they will push us on, we should go for them.

"We shouldn't hesitate if they feel they can do it. But I don't think we should be encouraging them to throw a lot of money at it straight away."

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/1211878-hodgson-bracing-liverpool-fc-fans-for-champions-league-wilderness.html
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Bulldog Drummond

• Main Stander
« Reply #349 on: December 21, 2010, 02:36:58 pm »
We can't move on from the Hicks/Gillett era until Hodgson is gone. All that relief and positivity that should be running through the veins of the club, post-H&G, will not be tangible until Hodgson follows them.

I'm sick of the cliches that are bandied about about RH being brought in to steady the ship. On field, the ship didn't need steadying; we just had one 'bad' season under Rafa which, given the context he had to work in, wasn't that bad.

There just seems to be a depressing inevitability about Man Utd getting 19 whilst Hodgson leaves us in the bottom half, 30 odd points behind and firmly mired in mediocrity. I can already hear him toasting his friend's success.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: December 21, 2010, 02:40:26 pm »
Hodgson bracing Liverpool FC fans for Champions League wilderness

Roy Hodgson has warned Liverpool fans that their Champions League drought could extend beyond this season.

A top four finish is still a remote possibility owing to the narrow margins of the Barclays Premier League table with nine points separating the ninth-placed Reds and Chelsea, who currently hold the final qualification spot.

But Hodgson is cautious of trying to secure a place in European football's premier club competition at all costs and cites the recent downfall of clubs such as Leeds United, whose attempts to reach the top level played a part in their demotion to the divisions below.

"I would plead for patience really," he said.

"Of course we want Liverpool to be the Liverpool of old. We want to be up there every year competing in the Champions League.

"Clubs have virtually been destroyed by people making bad decisions. It's not because the owners haven't given money or supported the manager. It's just that

Next month's transfer window provides the Kop boss the chance to strengthen with Eden Hazard, Ashley Young and Pablo Hernandez all believed to be on his January wish list.

Fenway Sports Group, the club's owners, are reluctant to splash the cash on short-term prospects and Hodgson is refusing to apply pressure on his new employers and agrees with their philosophy on investing in youth for medium to long-term gain.

He added: "If the owners want to invest a lot of money, that's up to them,.

"If we find the right players, I'm not going to be saying to them 'don't do it,'. I'm not that stupid. I want to work with the best players possible.

"But with the change that has gone on at the club and the new regime, it would be sensible for the new owners to be a bit more circumspect and get a closer look at everything.

"I don't think it would be a bad thing for us to keep testing out this squad of players.

"Before I start bringing players in, I've got to be aware that when I do, I will be pushing Shelvey or Kelly back. I've got to be convinced that the person coming in is the right one. That's the dilemma. When do we give the youngsters a chance?

"With that in mind, we have to be careful. My message to them would be - and it's no secret because I've had discussions with John about it - if the right players become available, and we really think they will push us on, we should go for them.

"We shouldn't hesitate if they feel they can do it. But I don't think we should be encouraging them to throw a lot of money at it straight away."

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/1211878-hodgson-bracing-liverpool-fc-fans-for-champions-league-wilderness.html

What next?
Will we have to accept that it is a struggle for us to remain in the premier league?

Offline LFCpostCOM

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
    • LFCPost.com
« Reply #351 on: December 21, 2010, 02:53:25 pm »
Here's one:

"But we might have to accept that it will take us more than a few months. That would be a small price to pay if you get it right. You only have to look at teams who have tried to stay in the league or get into the top four."

21 Dec

Dear Roy, waiting a few more months means another year without CL football. Small price? Cheers.
Join the union: www.spiritofshankly.com

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #352 on: December 21, 2010, 03:17:12 pm »
I couldn't care two shits if it's not 'our' way but this mediocre, defeatist, short-term mis-manager should be hounded out AT THE MATCH

Quote from: Peter Griffin, Yesterday
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."

Offline VamosLiverpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: December 21, 2010, 03:18:00 pm »

At least Roy is on the money. You ARE the wrong person.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Olivavu
« Reply #354 on: December 21, 2010, 03:26:17 pm »
So his record compares with Ferguson, does it?

I can see his point...
"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #355 on: December 21, 2010, 04:58:13 pm »
Here's one:

"But we might have to accept that it will take us more than a few months. That would be a small price to pay if you get it right. You only have to look at teams who have tried to stay in the league or get into the top four."

21 Dec

Dear Roy, waiting a few more months means another year without CL football. Small price? Cheers.

Got to remember we know more about the Champions League so we probably value it a lot higher than Roy! The same can be said for being in the top four we value far more than this chancer as well, for Roy it is a case of what he has never had.

We also value Honesty above unadulterated claptrap bullshit or as i call it ROYSPEAK!

A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Dubai_Red

• Can smell nullshit from 4,608 miles away
  • Kopite
« Reply #356 on: December 21, 2010, 05:42:21 pm »

I'm not one of those calling for Rafa to return, I think too much has happened off the pitch for that to work out but Roy's got to go.  If he can't work any harder, he should just go.  But I get the feeling he is staying in just so he can pocket the compensation and that pisses me off even further.  Hope NESV come up with an ingenious way of sacking him without having to pay compensation.

I work for a large multinational and if I went around quoting such ridiculous things about my company or its staff, I would be collecting my P45 very soon after. Alternatively, if I didn't perform to the level that is expected of me, again I would be collecting my P45 very shortly. If I am sacked for not being compliant or simply not good enough to do my job, then there would be no pretty severance pay packet to collect  either, so why is it any different for people like Hodgson??? Makes me sick that this man has taken our club so far backwards, every time he opens his mouth he makes us a laughing stock, yet he can still walk away with around £2M if and when he gets sacked! Unfuckingbelievable!!!

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Olivavu
« Reply #357 on: December 21, 2010, 05:49:19 pm »

It sickens me that this idiot is claiming he is underappreciated when he hasn't won a trophy for ten years - and that was in Denmark.

And all his success in Sweden was with the biggest club in that country, by miles at the time, and TWENTY FIVE years ago!

The guy has also been runner-up in the UEFA/Europa twice though...so he's a real go getter...

Offline iga

• Main Stander
« Reply #358 on: December 21, 2010, 05:55:30 pm »
If Hodgson gets any money in the january window then we are truly snookered, and it will be confirmation that we have a "blind leading the blind" situation at the top of the Club.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #359 on: December 21, 2010, 06:02:19 pm »
The long and the short of it is that Roy Hodgson's words to the media make no rational sense, especially when taken together. Talking to the media, giving pre- and post-match interviews, is not supposed to be psycho-therapy for the manager. Giving voice to the over-determined and contradictory feelings and emotions one experiences whilst going through one's life and dealing with external reality is not what one should be doing as a manager of a football club when speaking to the media.

We all have illogical and internally contradictory thoughts and judgments and Roy is no exception. Still, we expect ourselves in a professional setting to sort all of that out and even pretend that our thoughts are far more rational than they actually are. We're all expected not to badmouth our employers, the people we manage, former managers, etc.
Ludi Circenses!