Author Topic: Time For Brendan Rodgers To Be Pragmatic (again)  (Read 18334 times)

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Time For Brendan Rodgers To Be Pragmatic (again)
« on: November 20, 2014, 11:54:38 am »
Time For Brendan Rodgers To Be Pragmatic (again)

Last season Brendan Rodgers had little to worry about in terms of scrutiny from the Liverpool fans and the media. Everything looked rosy, with the club competing for the title, young players developing, senior players thriving and whatever questions were being asked of him, he generally had the right answers for most of them.

He was often called ‘pragmatic’ and you can see why given Liverpool were still winning games without Suarez at the beginning of the season, when Sturridge got injured and using various different formations throughout the season.

I was going to say what a difference a year makes, but actually this time last year Liverpool fans were critical of many of the performances of the side and individual players, most notably Gerrard and Sterling. Yet the side was still picking up points despite not being at their best and these two players went on to be key individuals in the second half of the season.

I guess that highlights how form and confidence is important for the majority of players and maybe if Sterling was a new signing last season, he would be getting written off by many as Markovic seems to have been this season. Maybe a little patience and support we could see Markovic look like the exciting talent he has shown for Benfica and his country. Who knows!

But generally last season was a big success for Brendan Rodgers and the club. But you can’t say the same so far this season and having spent heavily due to the sale of Suarez, new signings struggling and results being poor – scrutiny is intense on Rodgers and he is under a lot of pressure.

Since Rodgers took over at Liverpool they have been vulnerable defensively. Rodgers last season blamed individual mistakes as the main issue and spent heavily in the summer to try and solve that with the additions of Lovren and Moreno. However the defence is not any better this season, if anything it is worse and fans are questioning whether Rodgers can actually fix it. Last season Liverpool were scoring so many goals, it made up for the vulnerable issues at the back, as when the opposition did score two or three goals, Liverpool simply scored more – usually.

This season however the attack is looking blunt and I don’t think people believe that all the players that have played in GK and defence in the last three years can all be bad players to be making the large amount of mistakes that they have. In the three years under Rodgers Carragher, Agger, Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren, Johnson, Flanagan, Moreno, Enrique, Reina and Mignolet etc have all made too many errors. But a lot of these players have proven over the years that they can be part of solid defences (Carragher – winning numerous trophies at LFC), Agger (got to Champs League final), Skrtel (partnered Carragher during title challenge under Benitez), Sakho (looks solid for France), Lovren (last season for Southampton) etc. etc. So maybe, just maybe the issues are with the tactics and not the players themselves?

It is hard to argue that the tactics aren’t the issues when Mignolet seems reluctant to come of his line and control his area under any high ball. Rodgers instructs the full backs to both bomb forward and offer the width in attack and we have Gerrard, who is not a defensive minded player really, as the player who is meant to protect the defense. This will leave space and make the centre backs vulnerable. That’s without mentioning the defending at set plays, where the defence looks all over the place. I think Rodgers might have to be pragmatic and adjust his ideal approach for the defence and make it more solid, especially with the attack not bailing them out this season.

This is the main issue that is frustrating Liverpool fans. They all had pretty much accepted that under Rodgers defensively they might not be the most solid team in the league, given the attacking intent of the side. However it looks very obvious that without Sturridge Liverpool lack the cutting edge in attack. The club have clearly lost Suarez but the additions of Lambert and Balotelli, look to have been poor buys and Borini has never looked good enough for a club with the aspirations of Liverpool. This is highlighted when all three of these strikers have failed to score for the club in the league having played over 1000 minutes between them. That’s not just lacking cutting edge, that is not cutting the ‘Dejan (Lovren) Mustard’.

So putting aside the frustrations of Liverpool fans that the club seem to have bought poorly in the summer, the defence is looking a mess, tactically they seem naïve and the lack of cutting edge in attack – Rodgers has to do something in order to get results . The club despite all their problems this season are only 4 points from the top four. Rodgers needs to prove that he can be pragmatic again this season, like he was last season and adjust his tactics to get the best out of the squad he has now.

These are a few ways I think he can go about doing that:

1) Drop Lovren. I know he was the big summer buy defensively, but the truth is he has really struggled in all departments. He constantly been out of position, he has collided with his cb partner for going for headers which weren’t his to go for… He has not won the headers when they are his to win and most importantly he is making too many errors which are costing us goals nearly every game. Take him out of the team, give him a break and maybe when he does get a chance again he looks more like the players he did at Southampton. If ever a player needed to work with Dr Peters – it is him!

2) Play players in form. I am thinking of our best defensive display this season on this issue against Real Madrid, when Kolo Toure was immense, Lucas protected the back four better than Gerrard has all season and we looked far more solid as a result. These two deserved to keep their places in the team after that match and I’d have both starting on the weekend, as we need to pick on form over reputation and I think they will make us more solid defensively.

3) If Sakho is fit, I think he should partner Toure. Toure is a right sided defender, Sakho play on the left. They should complement each other and Lovren / Skrtel have both disappointed this season. Sakho is brilliant for France, he has all the tools to be a top class CB for LFC, he just needs regular games.

4) Change the position of Gerrard. It just seems bizarre to me that with a team struggling for goals we play a player of ours who has scored over 100 goals for us and numerous more assists to his name in the defensive midfield position. He’s a match winner, we need them and he can produce moments that can win us games with a cross, shot, through ball etc. Last season it made sense to play him deeper as we had a great attack without him with Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling all thriving, those three needed quick ball and Gerrard provided it. This season it is different, we are playing our oldest player in a position which exposes his weaknesses, defensively and his aging legs.

Surely it makes much more sense to have him higher up the field with freedom to win us games and little defensive responsibly to save his legs? I’d like to see him either get a free role, with energy around him to do the majority of his running. Like Newcastle did with Shearer, with Bellamy, Dyer, Robert doing this. Or Arsenal did with Bergkamp, having legs and movement around him and allowed his passing to still hurt teams and win games. We should be doing something similar with Gerrard. We have the players to do it as well with Sterling, Lallana, Henderson, Can etc. to do his running for him.

The other option I think is playing Gerrard upfront with a partner. Last season the diamond worked to great effect, allowing Suarez and Sturridge to roam and win us games, with the rest of the side just trying to stop us losing them. Put Gerrard upfront, as he is arguably our best finisher, especially with Sturridge injured, upfront with a license to go where he wants, someone to link up with and I’m sure he will be doing better than Lambert, Balotelli and Borini have shown thus far this season. When Rodgers put Gerrard higher up the field to link with Balotelli a few games ago, we saw Gerrard still had the quality to be a real asset in the opposition half. Let’s have Lucas or Can or Henderson or Allen doing the defensive work in midfield and allow one of our few match winners to be worrying the opposition more higher up the pitch.

5) Stop playing One Upfront. The side has struggled all season with one upfront. Even when Sturridge played in the first two games against Southampton and Manchester City, very few chances were created. Against Spurs Rodgers played two upfront and Sturridge looked much better and it was our best performance of the season as a result. Balotelli doesn’t seem to know how to play upfront on his own. He looks isolated, is static in his movement when we have the ball and as a result our midfield have trouble creating chances for him (saying that when he has had them – he’s missed!). Lambert also doesn’t suit playing upfront on his own as he is quite slow, isn’t very mobile and needs a partner to link up with. Borini can’t play upfront on his own as he struggle to hold the ball up, which is vital in that position. So why is Rodgers still playing with a lone striker? I think it would suit all these three playing with a partner, when they do play.

6) Consider playing Sterling upfront. Our strikers are not scoring. What is worse they don’t look like causing the opposition any problems. We can continue to keep playing them, hoping they will come good, when deep down we know the problem is their quality not confidence. Or we could maybe try something else and play Sterling upfront (maybe with Gerrard) and give the opposition something else to think about. I don’t think many cb’s would fancy marking Sterling given his energy, willingness to run behind a back four and his skill. Gerrard alongside him or in a free role behind, he could thread the passes through to him or link up with Sterling. It surely must be worth a try over seeing more of the static Balotelli or Lambert leading the line for us or the toothless Borini? Sterling did well against Real Madrid in this role and if you give him support in a two, then he could succeed even more in this role. It is clearly not his best position, as that is at the tip of the diamond. But when we have Coutinho or Lallana who can also play that position, then maybe it is worth a try until Sturridge is back fit. Would be nice to see some movement and pace upfront, that’s what defenders fear, as we saw last season.

7) Don’t let the full backs both go forward at the same time. Sure, let the full backs get forward if the ball is down their side of the field, as we need to see an overlap and bodies getting forward. But both at the same time? It really leaves the defence exposed and it would be more solid having the full backs pivot between going forward and staying back. Giving the defence more protection and not leaving us so vulnerable on the counter attack.

8.) Only pass round the back with the keeper when there is time & space. Passing round the back can work, Barcelona have proven that plenty of times over the years. However it can also be costly, when the opposition press it aggressively. I have no problem with passing round the back, when our players have the time and space to do it. I can reluctantly understand doing it when you have a keeper who is very comfortable with his feet and a back four who are the same, doing it under pressure. But we don’t have that and I don’t see the point in passing it round the back until we get in trouble and then hoofing it up the pitch. We might as well hit it long in the first place. I think Rodgers needs to tell the back four and keeper to only do it when the time is right and not every time.

These are a few ways I think we can improve. You might not agree with all of them or most of them, but surely something has to change as what we have been doing isn’t working. All the above suggestions however would have to result in Rodgers being bold and pragmatic. It is what he did last season, I think he’s going to have to look outside of the box this season if he wants to keep the fans and media off his back by getting the side winning more games. At least until he can buy in January or when Sturridge is back to help paper over the cracks.

Below are a couple of formations I would like to see us use against Crystal Palace.

Option 1

Option 2

Whether Rodgers agrees, we’ll find out soon, but if he doesn’t I fear the worst without Sturridge who looks to be out for a further six weeks. Something has to change and it will ultimately be either – the tactics, the players or the manager. I’d like to see us try different tactics and players before we lose faith with this manager, but he has to change it we can’t do it for him. I will continue to support Rodgers, as last season was very special I think it gave him a lot of credit in the bank, but I am finding it hard to see a lot of his reasoning this season and something has to change.[/quote]

http://www.empireofthekop.com/anfield/2014/11/19/time-brendan-rodgers-pragmatic/
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
Re: Time For Brendan Rodgers To Be Pragmatic (again)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:59:47 am »
Doing the obvious isn't pragmatism.

Offline Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:02:02 pm »
agree with pretty much every word
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:04:41 pm »
So after months of circular "discussions" about transfer policies, summer signings, form, capability, and suitability of players, settling in times, bad luck with injuries etc. We finally start to talk about the real issue.

Good OP, largely agree, but feel that instead of trying to "shoe-horn" Gerrard into the starting eleven, we should try a few games with him on the bench.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 12:08:41 pm »
agree with this
for me not pragmatism but common sense
I also think we are being unfair on balotelli, play him with a partner and see how he gets on

ooh and for the love of god try sakho and toure together

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 12:09:48 pm »
Good OP, largely agree, but feel that instead of trying to "shoe-horn" Gerrard into the starting eleven, we should try a few games with him on the bench.

It is certainly an option.

But the manager is already under serious pressure.  Dropping Gerrard would be brave, he got slated for not playing him against Real Madrid.

Also he is a proven match winner, think it would be nice to try him higher up the field more often.

We did it against QPR and the performance by the team was poor in the first half and Gerrard hardly got a touch of the ball.  But when he did, he nearly had us taking the lead with his shot that just went past the post. 

I don't think Rodgers will not start Gerrard, but you're right it is another option.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 12:10:11 pm »
Agree almost fully with op.

We're bad upfront and at the back at the minute. You're and sakho have done very little wrong when called upon. Give them a chance.

Play 2 up front because if it isn't obvious already. Balotelli can't hack being a lone striker in this league
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:13:48 pm by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 12:16:02 pm »
Good OP.

But still doesn't account for the elephant in the room.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 12:16:59 pm »
I like the second formation better but on the slim chance that Gerrard is pushed into the 2nd line of attack, I would like to see Stevie work off Balotelli for a few games at least before Mario is written off. Or, drop Stevie, play Sterling off Balo.

There's a fair bit of room for experimentation in our squad through using players like Can, Allen (in centre mid, he doesn't look effective as an attacking mid) maybe Lucas more.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 12:19:52 pm »
Good OP.

We're playing an Elephant! No wonder we're a bit crap!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 12:26:25 pm »
I like the second formation better but on the slim chance that Gerrard is pushed into the 2nd line of attack, I would like to see Stevie work off Balotelli for a few games at least before Mario is written off. Or, drop Stevie, play Sterling off Balo.

There's a fair bit of room for experimentation in our squad through using players like Can, Allen (in centre mid, he doesn't look effective as an attacking mid) maybe Lucas more.

How many chances do you want to give Balotelli though?

He doesn't suit playing upfront on his own - only because he can't make the right runs (or can't be arsed to do so).  He has all the raw tools to be able to yet he can't.

People say he needs to be in a two.  He was against Spurs and he was still missing the chances he got and his usual frustrating self.

He is missing chances whether upfront on his own or in a two.  His movement is poor (bar the odd run), regardless of if he has a partner or not.

I personally would rather we tried something else than keep hoping for him to come good.  Which is highly unlikely.
@LFC4LIFENET

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 12:29:35 pm »
Good OP.

Which one?
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 12:31:58 pm »

He doesn't suit playing upfront on his own - only because he can't make the right runs (or can't be arsed to do so).  He has all the raw tools to be able to yet he can't.

People say he needs to be in a two.  He was against Spurs and he was still missing the chances he got and his usual frustrating self.

He is missing chances whether upfront on his own or in a two.  His movement is poor (bar the odd run), regardless of if he has a partner or not.

I personally would rather we tried something else than keep hoping for him to come good.  Which is highly unlikely.

This is just a personal preference of course:

I want to see him with Gerrard as support and importantly an energetic midfield backing the attack (any of a 2 from Can, Henderson, Allen) for a run of games, say 5. For me, it's the best setup we can do at the moment, and I'm taking into account our defensive issues in not going to a 2 striker formation. If this so transpires, at the end of it a reasonable judgement can be made on his future here, with some confidence.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 12:47:45 pm »
Can and Lucas at the base of our midfield against Real at Bernabeu is the best I've seen from our midfield this season, in any combination and any game. Brendan just ignored it as if it didn't happen. This is the single thing I seriously held against him this season - and the reason he did it was and continues to be Steven Gerrard. The difficult task of phasing Steven out toward retirement fell upon Rodgers and so far he is not handling it very well.

Pragmatic?
I'd say brave is more like the word you're looking for.

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 12:55:18 pm »

Surely Balotelli needs to be actually played in the system we want to use him in before he is given up on? You mention the Spurs game and yes, he missed a few chances - but wasn't that his first game? Can't really say much more on that other than it was promising.

For me the problem isn't Mario. If we're going to play 2 up top when Sturridge is finally fit, then we should be playing 2 up top now. There's the 'excuse' of lacking the requisite pace without Sturridge but that doesn't really wash with me - if we're trying to find a way with 1 up top, then let's try and find a way with 2 up top because the former isn't really working. Try Sterling (to add the pace) with Balotelli, and have Gerrard behind? Can or Lucas are fine for the 'DM' role if we did that.

I don't think there's any "hoping" to do on Balotelli's part - for me it's more hoping that Rodgers changes the formation and we see what happens there.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 01:12:24 pm »
Can and Lucas at the base of our midfield against Real at Bernabeu is the best I've seen from our midfield this season, in any combination and any game. Brendan just ignored it as if it didn't happen. This is the single thing I seriously held against him this season - and the reason he did it was and continues to be Steven Gerrard. The difficult task of phasing Steven out toward retirement fell upon Rodgers and so far he is not handling it very well.

Pragmatic?
I'd say brave is more like the word you're looking for.

It was the first time i seriously questioned Rodgers in his whole tenure at Liverpool so far. The spin that he was giving squad members a chance after poor performances by first choice players, when in fact all he was doing was resting players for the Chelsea game, maybe fair enough, except he stumbles upon an effective line up (better than anything previous this season) and decides to ignore it.

Brave is definitely the word.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 02:01:32 pm »
Brave is definitely the word.

Brave, bold, pragmatic - something needs to change.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 02:04:36 pm »
While we have no one to score goals, I think it's the perfect chance for Brendan to address issues with the defensive side of our game. I think it's essential we make ourselves tough to beat.

Offline sharkeyb

• Would pay to see a Mason's willy, but not more than £35.
  • Legacy Fan
  • He's on the floor
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 02:37:57 pm »
He was against Spurs and he was still missing the chances .

the point where you contradicted yourself

he was there to miss the chances. 
Sir, the cash monies?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 02:39:57 pm »
the point where you contradicted yourself

he was there to miss the chances.

I don't see how I am contradicting myself.  He has been disappointing in a two or a one.  He has had chances when played upfront on his own - he has still missed them.

Rather we tried something else, than keep hoping he came good. 
@LFC4LIFENET

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 02:53:36 pm »
I don't understand why people want Sterling up front at the moment. He's just going to cause the same problems we have with Balotelli there, he'll drop back to get the ball and no one will run behind him. He's also not going to get as many opportunities to run at defenders, or break from a deeper position if he starts up front.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 03:01:16 pm »
I don't understand why people want Sterling up front at the moment. He's just going to cause the same problems we have with Balotelli there, he'll drop back to get the ball and no one will run behind him. He's also not going to get as many opportunities to run at defenders, or break from a deeper position if he starts up front.

He will offer more movement than Balotelli for starters.  He also should be instructed to run behind the defence, I am sure he'd do that more than Mario.

I think people just want to see something different. 
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 03:40:45 pm »
Is this another devious lets give people a vehicle to argue about Gerrard Thread?
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 03:42:08 pm »
Is this another devious lets give people a vehicle to argue about Gerrard Thread?

Yes if you only read one of the eight suggestions.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline Red Sea

• ...has (de)parted.
  • Legacy Fan
  • BR is the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 03:44:01 pm »
Let Brendan decide on what direction he should steer the team, if he wants to be pragmatic he will be so. He was never the idealist either, he is an intelligent man who will inevitably find the solution to a few of the minor problems we are experiencing.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 03:44:53 pm »
While we have no one to score goals, I think it's the perfect chance for Brendan to address issues with the defensive side of our game. I think it's essential we make ourselves tough to beat.

Completely agree. We should make clean sheets and solid defensive performances our priority while Sturridge is out.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 03:46:38 pm »
Let Brendan decide on what direction he should steer the team, if he wants to be pragmatic he will be so. He was never the idealist either, he is an intelligent man who will inevitably find the solution to a few of the minor problems we are experiencing.

It may not be possible, as he may be looking at the wrong problem.

This topic had a chance, but it appears to be going the way of all recent topics, a circular discussion of all the old excuses.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 03:48:47 pm »
Completely agree. We should make clean sheets and solid defensive performances our priority while Sturridge is out.

With that in mind i would play Enrique on the left he is a better defender than Moreno, Moreno is better going forward, i would also ditch Coutinho for Allen, go for solidity over creativity. For sure you need Lucas as well to stop the deluge of players rushing through our midfield like a hot knife through butter.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 03:50:14 pm »
With that in mind i would play Enrique on the left he is a better defender than Moreno, Moreno is better going forward, i would also ditch Coutinho for Allen, go for solidity over creativity. For sure you need Lucas as well to stop the deluge of players rushing through our midfield like a hot knife through butter.

Inclined to agree. Allen-Lucas-Henderson (with Can as a deputy) in midfield, with Lallana/Markovic/Sterling/Coutinho in wide positions. As for the striker, I'm not sure it really matters all that much. Maybe Borini?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:52:12 pm by Kopenhagen »
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 03:51:42 pm »

I think the Real Madrid performance highlighted that defensively it is so much easier when you are compact as a team. 

Under Rodgers in the league we are so expansive, there is just so much space to attack us when we don't have the ball.

Real struggled to break us down because we were compact.  I think that should be what we do without Sturridge, but if we do we need a threat on the counter attack and I think it just highlights that Sterling should be used upfront over the other three strikers we have.
@LFC4LIFENET

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 03:53:55 pm »

Agree about Enrique being a better defender than Moreno.  But I am happy with either starting.

I think we need to find a place for Coutinho though, he has been one of few bright sparks in the last month or so, albeit inconsistently.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline Humperdinck

• Kopite
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 03:56:48 pm »
With that in mind i would play Enrique on the left he is a better defender than Moreno

Maybe he used to be but not seen much evidence of it recently, cost us a goal v Boro, was given the runaround v Basel and was utterly dire v QPR. Moreno must start, he's made a few mistakes too but he'll learn.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2014, 03:59:04 pm »
He will offer more movement than Balotelli for starters.  He also should be instructed to run behind the defence, I am sure he'd do that more than Mario.

I think people just want to see something different.
He should be doing that now.

I'd rather we didn't go for something different just for the sake of it, especially if it means moving Sterling away from where he has been very good.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2014, 04:04:16 pm »

I'd rather we didn't go for something different just for the sake of it, especially if it means moving Sterling away from where he has been very good.

So just keep with the three striker upfront who between them have 0 goals in 1000 minutes?

We need to try something different, what we are doing is not working. 

Sterling is very good in many positions, he was very good upfront against Real Madrid. 
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 04:04:36 pm »
Maybe he used to be but not seen much evidence of it recently, cost us a goal v Boro, was given the runaround v Basel and was utterly dire v QPR. Moreno must start, he's made a few mistakes too but he'll learn.

So you dont want Enrique because he has made a few mistakes but you want Moreno even though he has made a few mistakes ?  By the way we cannot afford to have a defender learning on the pitch right now

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2014, 04:05:58 pm »

I wouldn't call it "just for the sake of it", we're dire, we're shockingly poor, we're in relegation form. Something has to change and quick.

Can he do it?

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2014, 04:08:57 pm »
This is totally left field but i would rest Sterling for a couple of games, his tricks etc are not working seldom beats a defender with the ease of last season,  and i feel the lad is wilting under the heavy expectation not only for us but also for England and he is still a kid really.

I would try Lallana instead

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2014, 04:15:33 pm »
So just keep with the three striker upfront who between them have 0 goals in 1000 minutes?

We need to try something different, what we are doing is not working. 

Sterling is very good in many positions, he was very good upfront against Real Madrid.
I'd keep our best attacking player in his best position and play to his strengths. We have enough talent in the attacking positions to be doing better than our awful scoring record without having to start trying players in new positions.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2014, 04:16:59 pm »
I'd keep our best attacking player in his best position and play to his strengths. We have enough talent in the attacking positions to be doing better than our awful scoring record without having to start trying players in new positions.

What position would that be?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2014, 04:18:19 pm »

If we played him in his best position it would help.  He's not played at the tip of the diamond since Spurs has he?

We keep putting him wide and he is best central, he showed that last season.

No one thought Sterling could play central at the tip of the diamond until we tried it.  Sterling upfront might be just as bad as the other three, but we won't know until we try it.  But we know the current three aren't causing the opposition any problems.

I think we have other players who can play in the roles Sterling plays in Lallana & Coutinho, to afford to try him in a different role.
@LFC4LIFENET