Author Topic: Gerrard - quoted as 'Gerrard open to move from Liverpool'  (Read 143449 times)

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Gerrard - quoted as 'Gerrard open to move from Liverpool'
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2014, 03:31:44 pm »
Imagine a midfield of Schweinsteiger, Alonso, Thiago and Gerrard.

It'll never happen ;)
YNWA.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2014, 03:32:15 pm »
Has this turned into the "Gerrard might leave so let's understate his contributions to make ourselves feel better and not cry in a corner if he does leave" thread?

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2014, 03:34:41 pm »
Has this turned into the "Gerrard might leave so let's understate his contributions to make ourselves feel better and not cry in a corner if he does leave" thread?
He is 34 not 26 so.........
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline BostonScouse

• grumbles more after a win - clueless muppet or diamond fella?
  • Kopite
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2014, 03:34:43 pm »
OK answer this question is Jordan Henderson ready to be captain and if so on what basis?
Who cares? Name the last team who underperformed due to "inexperienced captaincy"

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2014, 03:35:31 pm »
“I would love a Fabregas or Costa here, but I have to understand how the owners want to do it and accept I am a Liverpool player, not a Chelsea or Manchester City player. They [Fenway Sports Group] have gone on record saying they want to bring exciting young talent into the club".

When fans question our dealings, we almost always get met with a retort of they will come good the players we've signed. And yet, a lot of questions SHOULD be asked about why we always go out and buy potential, and don't try and bring in some proven players.

Genuinely can't think of many 'big' names we've signed since Brendan took over, or anyone who has come in and really, truly imposed themselves on this team, Sturridge and Coutinho notwithstanding.
Potential players, players who end up moving out on loan or who don't cement a place in the side, thats been pretty much it for signings in the last two years.

Brendan talked about signing players with the character to play for this club, and yet the vast majority he has signed don't have it and havn't had the character to come in and cement a place in the side OR transform the way we play.
And Gerrard seems to be suggesting so now too. That's not a slight in Brendan, it's a question about the club and how we go about signings, and I'm still convinced Brendan doesn't have 100% say in it all.

If he does, he hasn't been getting people in he really trusts no sooner than they are here.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:39:25 pm by Paul JH »
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2014, 03:36:18 pm »
OK answer this question is Jordan Henderson ready to be captain and if so on what basis?
Don`t know why you bring up Henderson, but still Henderson is our by far most consistent performer and his contribution is much bigger than any of our other central midfielders. He has 3 assists and a goal and the number of the games this season in the league he played in the 2 of 2-1 midfield where he didn`t have the licence to make those runs beyond the forward. When he did - like against Wba - he showed why he`s above all our other CMs in terms of contribution.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2014, 03:37:04 pm »

No. Usual suspects who bitch and moan about his contribution in any available thread.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Simon C

• witty wording
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tries to post intelligently and normally fails..
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2014, 03:37:43 pm »
Who cares? Name the last team who underperformed due to "inexperienced captaincy"
How about Brazil in this year's World Cup semi where David Luiz was captain.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2014, 03:39:08 pm »
so i guess we can have player threads, as long as bascombe writes an article about said player first?
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2014, 03:39:31 pm »
has it really only been 3 days since the last game?....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Simon C

• witty wording
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2014, 03:39:49 pm »
Don`t know why you bring up Henderson, but still Henderson is our by far most consistent performer and his contribution is much bigger than any of our other central midfielders. He has 3 assists and a goal and the number of the games this season in the league he played in the 2 of 2-1 midfield where he didn`t have the licence to make those runs beyond the forward. When he did - like against Wba - he showed why he`s above all our other CMs in terms of contribution.
Your missing the point captaincy and more the point leadeeship isn't about the number of assists you make or the number of defense splitting passes you make, it;s about inspiring others around you to be the best they can be and for me there is no one better placed than Steven Gerrard to do this.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2014, 03:40:01 pm »
“I would love a Fabregas or Costa here, but I have to understand how the owners want to do it and accept I am a Liverpool player, not a Chelsea or Manchester City player. They [Fenway Sports Group] have gone on record saying they want to bring exciting young talent into the club".

When fans question our dealings, we almost always get met with a retort of they will come good the players we've signed. And yet, a lot of questions SHOULD be asked about why we always go out and buy potential, and don't try and bring in some proven players.

Genuinely can't think of many 'big' names we've signed since Brendan took over, or anyone who has come in and really, truly imposed themselves on this team, Sturridge and Coutinho notwithstanding.
Potential players, players who end up moving out on loan or who don't cement a place in the side, thats been pretty much it for signings in the last two years.

Brendan talked about signing players with the character to play for this club, and yet the vast majority he has signed don't have it and havn't had the character to come in and cement a place in the side OR transform the way we play.
And Gerrard seems to be suggesting so now too.
The longer we go without making top signings, more it reinforces the impression that we can no longer compete, afford or attract top drawer players. Maybe, that is precisely the type of thing FSG want, dampen expectations, so that eventually no one ever asks why we don't go out and buy a Costa.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:42:27 pm by Twelfth Man »
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline BostonScouse

• Kopite
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2014, 03:41:02 pm »
How about Brazil in this year's World Cup semi where David Luiz was captain.
They didnt underperform, they were not a very good team with many other problems. Captaincy probably means even less in international anyway, just look at the mighty england captain!

Offline BostonScouse

• Kopite
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2014, 03:41:56 pm »
Your missing the point captaincy and more the point leadeeship isn't about the number of assists you make or the number of defense splitting passes you make, it;s about inspiring others around you to be the best they can be and for me there is no one better placed than Steven Gerrard to do this.
What is your evidence for this?

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2014, 03:42:41 pm »
No. Usual suspects who bitch and moan about his contribution in any available thread.
It would be lovely if they wouldn't ruin this thread. Felt there was a nice discussion before the usual suspects came in

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2014, 03:44:18 pm »
Perhaps he should leave maybe some dickheads on here will finally realise  and appreciate him a bit more.

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2014, 03:44:23 pm »

And Gerrard seems to be suggesting so now too.
Is he not part of that same group of players? This reminds me of the talk Gerrard carrying Liverpool(Like he passed the ball to himself to score goals/Or saved them penalties in Istanbul).

Considering we not preforming at this stage of season, considering he is captain and is one of the older players. Should he not focus more on asking for patient for this young side and showing his great leadership skills? In fact should him and Rodgers not be taking the slack for the team to take the pressure of the young players? Instead of crying about Suarez leaving?(like its something new in Liverpool history)
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2014, 03:44:33 pm »

this is good propaganda, but it's simply not true.  he's never been vocal, but at his best, gerrard was able to inspire and motivate by example. he doesn't perform consistently strongly enough to do that anymore.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2014, 03:45:40 pm »
I don't really see where that should matter.

No, but presumably you do recognise the difference in sample size? (Clue: it's on your graphic; the difference between 32.22 90's and 8.00 90's).

We don't have to have a DLP either

No, we don't, as several of you like to point out. But we do have one.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2014, 03:46:26 pm »
Nothing story really. If we don't offer him a contract he will be off to America or somewhere similar. That would be the clubs choice to make so they would have to stand by the decision.

Pitty he came out and said it in public but like others have said its most likely a tactic to get what he wants from Stevie/his agent.

Offline Simon C

• witty wording
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2014, 03:47:05 pm »
My evidence is that as a leadership in what ever form it comes in is about inspiring people to deliver to the best of their ability whether this be in football or business. It's not just what you do but how conduct yourseld whilst doing it.

A classic example of this in a different sport admittedly is Mike Brierley the Engalnd Cricket captain of the 1980's who by his own admission shouldn't have been in the team, what he did have however were the leadership skills to get the best out of the talent around him and as a result England won the Ashes for the first time in about 10 years.

Offline Dakota

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2014, 03:47:36 pm »
this is good propaganda, but it's simply not true.  he's never been vocal, but at his best, gerrard was able to inspire and motivate by example. he doesn't perform consistently strongly enough to do that anymore.

Are you a Liverpool player? Should we ask the players around him, starting with the vice captain and ending with the academy lads who are vying for a chance to train with the first team every week?
Thinking about crowdfunding a Save The Piano Movers! charitable association.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2014, 03:47:36 pm »

Champions League 2005.

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2014, 03:47:40 pm »
Is anyone that bothered these days? Might make our other midfielders realise they don't have to rely on him any more.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2014, 03:51:05 pm »

This is really easy.

Type "<player name> on Gerrard captain" into google. Try various player names.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2014, 03:51:12 pm »
The glowing praise of his captaincy and leadership skills from every top player he's ever played with? The fact Suarez wanted to share the moment he recieved the European golden boot with Gerrard, by stipulating he wanted Gerrard to present him with the award?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:58:26 pm by Carlito Roberto »

Offline khalilur

• Kopite
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2014, 03:54:04 pm »
We did try to sign Costa last year but he used our interest as leverage to get an improved contract from Atletico. So, we are trying to get top of the line players. Like Sanchez this year.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2014, 03:54:08 pm »
same boring agenda driven bastards talking the same arle shit...

...time to stick a needle in this thread's neck
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2014, 03:54:36 pm »
These statements and the timing of it don't come out of the blue. There is something going on behind the scenes and we will find out soon...
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2014, 03:55:07 pm »
Are you a Liverpool player? Should we ask the players around him, starting with the vice captain and ending with the academy lads who are vying for a chance to train with the first team every week?

no, but i have been able to see numerous listless, unmotivated performances by the entire team this season (even in games we've won), which suggests that maybe someone actually isn't inspiring people to "deliver to the best of their ability".

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2014, 03:57:21 pm »

Maybe I do, but huge defensive drop-off may be what you miss :

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2014, 03:57:59 pm »
These statements and the timing of it don't come out of the blue. There is something going on behind the scenes and we will find out soon...

Yeah, it's all part of Operation StevieMe, which began in 2004 with the plotting of the downfall of Rafa Benitez, earning him the unending scorn of various RAWK posters. Apparently.

Offline BostonScouse

• Kopite
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2014, 04:01:15 pm »
The glowing praise of his captaincy and leadership skills from every top player he's every played with? The fact Suarez wanted to share the moment he recieved the European golden boot with Gerrard, by stipulating he wanted Gerrard to present him with the award?
So far no one has presented any evidence that captaincy is an influential factor in squad success, let alone influential enough to overcome poor form.

All this shows is the players say nice things about and ostensibly like their captain. I think you'd be hardpressed to find a situation where teammates say anything but glowing things about their captain.

And even if they did, there's still no appreciable difference that I can see amongst clubs who have "good captains" and those that don't. Unless you think Ronaldo is the best captain ever.

It's just grasping at straws.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2014, 04:02:12 pm »
Brendan Rodgers and the majority of his co-workers would, I would guess. Granted, they may not be as knowledgeable about football as most of the esteemed posters in this thread...

So I am guessing you just intentionally ignored the rest of my post so you could come out with some sarcastic drivel..?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2014, 04:02:21 pm »
You've posted on this topic more than any other in recent days/months. Any fuckin surprise?

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2014, 04:03:54 pm »
Yeah, it's all part of Operation StevieMe, which began in 2004 with the plotting of the downfall of Rafa Benitez, earning him the unending scorn of various RAWK posters. Apparently.

Good one! ;)

Besides that, his statement.."if I cannot play here than somewhere else"...etc is hard to be ignored..
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline MaxJ

• Main Stander
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2014, 04:04:12 pm »
Why people are at all shocked by what the media write in this country is beyond me.

It’s all just marketing – sensationalise the headline and you’ll get more clicks.

Just look at Tuesday – Balotelli gets his first domestic goal, and a Swansea player is sent off. Yet all we read about is how Balotelli and Shelvey got their handbags out.

It’s the same here. If he wants to leave, let him. Otherwise he will be offered a new contract, and he will stay.

Re. this thread: People who are saying “will we actually miss him? need a fucking reality check.  He doesn’t start every game because Rodgers like seeing him run around in shorts.

We don’t have a player who can do that job as well or better currently.

Offline Dakota

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2014, 04:05:00 pm »
no, but i have been able to see numerous listless, unmotivated performances by the entire team this season (even in games we've won), which suggests that maybe someone actually isn't inspiring people to "deliver to the best of their ability".

In other words, leadership and being a role model to your players are propaganda and unimportant sentimental claptrap when we achieve the Nirvana of sublime football + 3 points on the board. Unless we don't win OR play ugly but grit our teeth, grind out a victory and show guts and character to do so. Then it suddently does become important - it's a clear sign that someone is not actually not actually motivating our players.
Thinking about crowdfunding a Save The Piano Movers! charitable association.

Offline BostonScouse

• Kopite
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2014, 04:06:25 pm »
No, but presumably you do recognise the difference in sample size? (Clue: it's on your graphic; the difference between 32.22 90's and 8.00 90's).

No, we don't, as several of you like to point out. But we do have one.
You're right, I expect a blistering rest of the season from him as he regresses to the mean.

P.S. he wasn't as good as everyone thinks last year either, Suarez made his job a lot easier (as much as it's against the rules to even mention Suarez's enormous impact last year).

Offline BostonScouse

• Kopite
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2014, 04:09:30 pm »
Good one! ;)

Besides that, his statement.."if I cannot play here than somewhere else"...etc is hard to be ignored..
I remember in the beginning of the summer when Suarez's noncommittal answers about his future were similarly dismissed as media-driven nonsense.

As if Gerrard isn't a PR pro at this point anyway.