Author Topic: Pre Match Thread - Liverpool Vs. Everton – April 1st 2017 - 12:30  (Read 46067 times)

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
Before I get into the preview of the match, it’s worth taking a moment to remember a man who had as much influence as anyone in building this club to what it is today.

Ronnie Moran (28 February 1934 – 22 March 2017)

There are plenty of former reds despised by the other half of the city.  And plenty of former blues despised by the red half.  Ronnie Moran transcended the tribal feelings between the two clubs and deserved the respect he received from reds and blues alike.

In the words of Kenny Dalglish

“The contribution and help he gave me was enormous and I’ll be eternally grateful for that – both as a player and a manager. I don’t think anybody that worked with him during his spell at Liverpool will have anything but total admiration and respect and gratitude for what he did for them.

“I don’t think it’s a coincidence that in the most successful spell in the club’s history, Ronnie Moran was of great importance to it. He was there at the outset with Bill Shankly, and the football club as it stands today is because of what Bill Shankly set in place and Ronnie was a big part of that.

“His contribution to the football club should never, ever be underestimated. Although it might be understated, and he might be understated, he made a massive contribution.”

Jordan Henderson

The reason being captain of Liverpool Football Club is such a huge honour is because legendary figures like Ronnie Moran held it before I did.

I wasn't lucky enough to work with Ronnie but I had the great fortune of being in his company on the occasions when he came to Melwood to walk around the training pitch and although we all regarded him as a true great, he was as humble and down to earth as anyone you could ever come across.

I know I speak for all of the current players when I say that we are all deeply saddened by Ronnie's passing and the greatest tribute we can pay to him is to give everything we've got for Liverpool Football Club just as he did each and every single day during the 49 years he spent here. YNWA

And from across the park, Peter Reid

“I’m devastated. Ronnie was a good football man who had a wicked sense of humour. One of my best memories of him were the derbies, which as we all know, are fiery affairs. One year, they beat us at Anfield and as I was walking off the pitch, Ronnie came over to me and said: ‘Hey lad, you played well.’ Let’s just say I gave him an Anglo-Saxon response. The following year we beat them at Anfield and I couldn’t see Ronnie in the tunnel so I marched straight into the boot room, found him, and said: ‘Unlucky, you played well.’ I got the same Anglo-Saxon response!”

Liverpool vs. Everton - Anfield - April 1st 2017 - 12:30

The big team news is obviously the horrific injury sustained by Seamus Coleman against Wales.  He’s been a fantastic player for Everton, and from my perspective is one of the good guys in the game.  I’m sure I speak for all reds when I say I hope he makes a full recovery from an injury which could have wider consequences than just his ability to play to the game.

Joining Coleman on the Everton injured list are two other key players for them, Morgan Schneiderlin and James McCarthy.  Both of them are unlikely to feature which is going to provide Koeman with some challenges in their midfield.

From our side, the key injuries are to Daniel Sturridge and Jordan Henderson.  Henderson is more likely to return for this, but a place on the bench is probably the best to hope for.  With Sturridge not often in our starting line-up even if fit, and the resurgent form of Emre Can, it’s unlikely that either player will be missed as significantly as the three from Everton.

Line-ups

Liverpool - 4-3-3

Everton – 4-2-3-1

Key Factors

Everton are one of the form teams in the division.  Since we beat them at Goodison in December, in the league they have played 12, won 8, drawn 3 and lost only once, 3-2 away to Spurs.

Their key man is obviously the league’s top scorer, Lukaku.  This guy is the real-deal and the best player I’ve seen in an Everton shirt since Nick Barmby.  They will try to get runners off him, with Mirallas a likely threat in-behind, and Barkley likely to roam from a wide right position. The biggest threat I see though is Lukaku himself getting space in and around the box.  He’s scored 12 goals in his 12 league games since our win against them.

Before the injury to Coleman, I was going to highlight him as the other player to watch from them.  They are going to miss his pace and attacking ability with Holgate the likely player to come in for him.

Controlling the space in front of our back four will be crucial in restricting them to trying to find Lukaku with balls from deep.  Like other teams, they will probably try to absorb our pressure and exploit the space in between our centre backs and full backs during quick breaks.

There’s a chance Koeman may opt for a back 5 to try to restrict the space for our front six to operate in, however I think a back four with a narrow midfield five (as a 2-3 o a 3-2) will be his choice.

For Liverpool, it’ll be very much like we are now used to under Klopp.  High possession, lots of quick interchanges and forcing their midfield into chasing shadows as our midfield three continually look to break their lines with cute passes, fast turns and surges into space.  The risk is we over play the central areas and don’t make effective use of the wide areas to stretch them.

Mane against Baines has the potential to have a big influence on the result, especially if Barry is required to provide the cover.  With Lallana also operating on that side of the pitch, Everton will have their work cut out.

They’ll try to match our intensity early on, and keeping our composure, and eleven men on the pitch, will be crucial in the early exchanges.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:52:23 pm by Prof »

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pre Match Thread - Liverpool Vs. Everton – April 1st 2017 - 12:30
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 07:26:34 pm »
Brilliant. Nice one, Prof. Really enjoyed that. A lovely tribute to Ronnie Moran. Let's hope the lads on the pitch can pull out a performance in his honour. It's unbearable losing the derby, especially for us North Wales Reds ;).

Isn't Lovren close to being back, btw?
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 08:20:35 pm »
Hopefully we have a performance that would make Moran very proud.

Isn't Lovren close to being back, btw?

He's been training this week so presumably is back.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 09:03:36 pm »
Just win lads so they can tell their ma

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 09:09:37 pm »
Brilliant Op Prof.

Really touching the part about Bugsy.

Let's win this one for one of the Clubs greatest ever servants.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 09:46:21 pm »
We have to isolate Lukaku and take him out of the game. He's in an insane run of form and can score from tough situations as he just did with Belgium. If we deal with him then we'll be fine.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 09:55:18 pm »
Every season I say they have to win at Anfield sooner or later...

We should be able to exploit their defence if our attack clicks and I think this is a game where Coutinho has to get back to it. He can easily be bullied in this type of game if he continues his recent displays.

Keep Lukaku quiet is the key but I'm confident we can do this to be honest - we handled the likes of Kane, Costa and Aguero for large periods.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline ManéManéMané

• Always sunné. In the rich man's world.....all the things I could do if had a little Mané.....
  • Main Stander
  • anchor.fm/koponpodcast
    • Kop On!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 11:23:58 pm »
Great OP.

I'm very glad this game is at Anfield. If we get off to a good start, the roar could be deafening. However, if we lose an early goal, I hope the lucky match-going fans can stay patient, and keep positively hollering.

Lukaku vs Matip/Klavan will be a close matchup.

We should have enough guile and strength to keep possession in midfield. 

Prediction: Emre, Adam and Gini to dominate, and 3-2 to Liverpool.

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 12:34:50 am »
the last match I went to with me dad was the 1984 milk cup final.

fingers crossed i'm going to this one with my son. It will be his first Liverpool game. 

Im not sure why, but it feels like like it means something.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 09:53:22 am »
It may be sunny but its still Monday, I'm at work and miserable.  But the Derby Day Pre-match thread has cheered me up somewhat. Cheers Prof. :)

Nice tribute to Ronnie.

Apart from the obvious joy a Derby win always brings regardless of league position, due to this early KO, this is a massive chance to put some pressure on the teams around us.

If we can keep Lukaku's involvement to a minimum we should win the game providing our lads put a shift in we know they are fully capable of.

Got me KOP ticket for this and cannot wait for the weekend.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 10:12:54 am »
Huge game. Somehow they've crept to within six points of us again so they're definitely going to be up for it. Hopefully we'll see a continuation of recent derbies in that they're too up for it and don't play to their usual standards. I think we'll take them but it'll be tight.

Any news on Lovren? Would be good to get him back into that top four if he is fit as Klavan is always a weak link for me. His positioning is absolutely wild; while both Lowton and De Bruyne's crosses were of the highest standard, they don't lead to goals if he's standing where a highest standard centre half should be. Lovren isn't exactly Baresi in terms of positioning but he's still a sizable upgrade whilst being much better in the air to handle Lukaku too.

That said, Coleman out for them is a massive plus for us as he's the only player who provides consistent width with consistent quality for them IMO. We should be able to keep Phil a little higher up the pitch as a result.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 10:17:18 am »
Snip
Magic OP that buddy and a wonderful tribute to a Liverpool great!

As far as the game goes, as Pete said above, stop Lakaku and you stop Everton. I have a feeling we'll come away with a hard fought point but, as we know, absolutely anything could happen!

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 10:56:24 am »
Great OP. Love the line about Lukaku:

"This guy is the real-deal and the best player I’ve seen in an Everton shirt since Nick Barmby."

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 11:19:40 am »
Every year when Everton are in good form they come here with hope and expectation they get crushed, most notably the Gerrard hatrick game when we were in awful form going into it. I expect no different here.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 11:22:56 am »
Every year when Everton are in good form they come here with hope and expectation they get crushed, most notably the Gerrard hatrick game when we were in awful form going into it. I expect no different here.

Yep, they think they are amazing now because they've beat a few bum teams and *might* have a new stadium sometime in the future, as usual when they get horrendously arrogant they get brutally brought back down to earth. They are a nothing club and while we may have had some trouble beating those this season that won't be the case here.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 11:23:24 am »
Jagielka, Williams and Barry. All 3 are shite and expected to play. No excuses redmen.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 12:49:53 pm »
Any news on Lovren? Would be good to get him back into that top four if he is fit as Klavan is always a weak link for me. His positioning is absolutely wild; while both Lowton and De Bruyne's crosses were of the highest standard, they don't lead to goals if he's standing where a highest standard centre half should be. Lovren isn't exactly Baresi in terms of positioning but he's still a sizable upgrade whilst being much better in the air to handle Lukaku too.

He went to the training camp in Spain so should be available on Saturday.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 02:05:07 pm »
He went to the training camp in Spain so should be available on Saturday.

Can you feeeeeel the Lov tonight?

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 02:25:02 pm »
Great OP Prof. What a shame Ronnie isn't here to see it - but I'm sure he'll be tuning in with his arl mates (if they have Sky up there like :)

And thanks for including Henderson and Peter Reid's comments - I hadn't seen those - great stuff.

I think you've called it right in terms of the contest - Can we cope with Lukaku? They won't be able to cope with our front 6 if we are at the races, and they have nothing on the bench.

I know we don't like to look too far ahead on Rawk - but I couldn't help myself and was shocked at our upcoming schedule:

A season defining week approaching

Saturday 12:30 Everton Home

Wednesday  20:00 Bournemouth Home

Saturday  15:00 Stoke City Away

Obviously the Brasilians (who Play tomorrow night) are going to be knackered.

Do we have enough Strength in depth? Obviously, again, what we've seen this season tells us no.
So I think a part of me would be happy with a point against Everton - 3 against Bournemouth and then shit or Bust v Stoke.

Then for each of our last six games we have a week to prepare -  thank goodness

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 03:01:25 pm »
This will be a very tough test. Everton will bring all their usual aggression, hustle and desperation to win and we have to cope with that first and foremost before hopefully using our quality to hurt them. They also bring an inform and firing striker.....

We don't seem to hit the ground running after an international break and with the Brazillians travelling and Lallana having played both games for England, our most creative players may be struggling.

Our bobbins run from xmas has knackered my confidence and I tend to be a doom monger before each game, doubting our ability to win and this feels similar...but balls to that......tough game, someone is getting sent off and we win 3-1.

BOOM!

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 03:41:35 pm »
Volunteers are wanted to help lay out a mosaic in memory of Ronnie Moran ahead of Saturday's Merseyside derby at Anfield.

Moran, who served Liverpool FC with such distinction as a player, captain, coach and caretaker manager across 49 years with the club, sadly passed away last Wednesday at the age of 83.

Supporters interested in helping lay out a mosaic in honour of 'Mr Liverpool' - which will be displayed before the Reds' game against Everton - on Friday afternoon should contact Andy Knott by emailing akraotl@aol.com.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 04:21:26 pm »
Jagielka, Williams and Barry. All 3 are shite and expected to play. No excuses redmen.
All 3 would walk into our starting XI.

All 3 would walk into our All Star XI.

Everton's worst ever player is better than our best ever player.

Everton have never won a single free kick in a Merseyside Derby - bent refs.

Everton have never lost a Merseyside Derby...in fair circumstances.

Everton's Jagielka scored the best winner in a Merseyside Derby in their 1-1 win at Anfield in 2014.

Everton's Duncan Ferguson laughs himself to sleep about how much better than Ian Rush he was.

Everton's new ground will be so impressive it can be seen from Uranus.

Everton's Jelovic was and is better than Suarez.

Everton are so Scouse that they refuse to win at London's Wembley.

Everton won the European Cup in 1986.

If you type 1995 into a calculator and hold it at a right-angle its spells 'Best'.

Offline codswallop

• Kemlynite
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 04:24:23 pm »
Come on Redmen,just batter the Blueshite.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 04:40:05 pm »
Anthony Taylor is the referee on Saturday. 😬

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2017, 04:52:51 pm »

Our bobbins run from xmas has knackered my confidence and I tend to be a doom monger before each game, doubting our ability to win and this feels similar...but balls to that......tough game, someone is getting sent off and we win 3-1.

BOOM!

Doesn't our run since Christmas give you confidence that we will win? It's a big game...we win big games.

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 05:00:01 pm »
No more International breaks till end of season. Just some good uninterrupted footy for the next 9 weeks. That itself makes me happy. Need to go on a winning streak.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 05:00:03 pm »
Anthony Taylor is the referee on Saturday. 😬

12.30pm Liverpool v Everton (Sky Sports)
Referee: Anthony Taylor
Assistants: S Bennett, A Nunn
Fourth official: M Atkinson
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2017, 05:04:17 pm »
No more International breaks till end of season. Just some good uninterrupted footy for the next 9 weeks. That itself makes me happy. Need to go on a winning streak.
Our current unbeaten run isn't too far off which is good.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 05:04:58 pm »
Good OP, enjoyed reading that.

Hopefully we can get the three points, that's all that matters.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 06:24:39 pm »
Well I have just seen a show looking ahead to the Derby and one of the Blues is already celebrating victory for them. In the words of Delia Smith, "Let's be having you Blues."  ;D

"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 06:53:10 pm »
We're welcoming the best football playing Everton team of the last 5+ years.  4-0 redmen.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 07:24:29 pm »
Love it when they are so confident ahead of a derby..

Massive 3 points for us if we can win.. Puts huge pressure on Arsenal, City and United to win and takes us 9 ahead of these..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 08:35:49 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Hope the two Brazilians don't have to play 90 mins tomorrow as we will need Bobby to be on top form. Hoping to see Lovren and Hendo fit. Looking forward to hearing "Happy Easter Everton" towards the end of the match 😊
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 11:35:15 pm »
Really enjoy the OP's even tho I don't ever say so. Always read and enjoyed. I often just read the opener and have done with it for a few days. Hadn't read the Peter Reid quote before tho. Lovely.

Just beat them.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2017, 01:05:50 am »
Come on Redmen!!
Hope the two Brazilians don't have to play 90 mins tomorrow as we will need Bobby to be on top form. ...

At least they'll be back for training on Thursday :D

Liverpool are taking no risks in their preparations for Saturday’s Merseyside derby by hiring a private jet to return Philippe Coutinho and Roberto Firmino from international duty in Brazil.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/27/liverpool-hire-jet-return-phiippe-countinho-roberto-firmino

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2017, 06:45:33 am »
Carragher has been interviewed by grandoldteam for the buildup

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hj_rFvUlI3Y  Its in two parts

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2017, 08:02:06 am »
Have I read somewhere about it being a flag day for Ronnie Moran?

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2017, 08:20:01 am »
Great OP!!! Let's hope the match will fit the occasion!

Anybody else worried about them crocking another of our players? In the last game Barkley nearly ended Henderson's season and in the game before Funes Mori crocked Origi for the rest of the season... I don't see them being a threat football-wise, isolate Lukaku and you negate all their danger. 3-1 to us.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2017, 08:38:47 am »
The vibe in the city is that it's their time.........we'll see
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Jamie_G

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Internet Terrorist
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2017, 09:00:50 am »
Does anybody know anything about the planned mosaic for Moran?
Bill Shankly to Ian St John - 'If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just pop it in the net and we'll discuss your options afterwards.'

Morpheus: Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?