Poll

Who do you prefer, Marvel or DC?

Marvel
DC
Love both
Other
Grow up!

Author Topic: Marvel or DC?  (Read 1545 times)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Marvel or DC?
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:58:56 pm »
I'm talking the whole sha-bang! Comics, Movies, TV shows etc.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
Re: Marvel or DC?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 10:21:50 pm »
I voted Marvel, noting that I don't really read comics. For the most part I'm leaving them out of the assessment.

Briefly, all the comics I have read, DC appears to be stronger, particularly since they have all those more interesting Sandman/Constantine ones, which are brilliant.

But since at least The Dark Knight Rises (which was pretty disappointing, let's face it, but still decent), DC has literally not produced a thing worth watching for 5 years. That's from the perspective of someone who isn't really a comic book fan, but who does have a view on movies and TV. That's awful. And their movies are a never-ending train-wreck of crime after crime against movies.

Marvel has its own problems, but I think arguably it's benefited from having different studios producing their stuff. The MCU movies are overproduced and too same-samey, but are generally maintained at a decent, watchable standard that's enjoyable for the mass consumer. I doubt if they'll ever make a great or surprising movie, but I doubt they care. They gravy train continues to deliver the gravy. So long as it does, they'll stick to the tried and true formula. They're trying to do something similar with the TV shows, but they they've clearly lost the plot a bit in recent times.

Fox is doing a bit better with the X-Men franchise. It's a mixed bag in terms of quality, but that's partly a consequence of having less draconian studio control over the product. Singer helms the operation, but not in quite so absolute terms as Feig helms the MCU. That allows guys like Mangold and Vaughn, talented action directors with their own ideas, to make movies that have potential beyond Singer/Feig impressario ceiling. That's without taking into account the weird and wonderful places Noah Hawley's taken Legion. That's not to say there aren't crap X-Men movies. Just the opposite - the bad ones are pretty atrocious. But on the other hand, there are also some really good quality films as well. IMO Logan and Legion are the two best on screen superhero products made since The Dark Knight.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 10:30:35 pm »
I voted Marvel, noting that I don't really read comics. For the most part I'm leaving them out of the assessment.

Briefly, all the comics I have read, DC appears to be stronger, particularly since they have all those more interesting Sandman/Constantine ones, which are brilliant.

But since at least The Dark Knight Rises (which was pretty disappointing, let's face it, but still decent), DC has literally not produced a thing worth watching for 5 years. That's from the perspective of someone who isn't really a comic book fan, but who does have a view on movies and TV. That's awful. And their movies are a never-ending train-wreck of crime after crime against movies.

Marvel has its own problems, but I think arguably it's benefited from having different studios producing their stuff. The MCU movies are overproduced and too same-samey, but are generally maintained at a decent, watchable standard that's enjoyable for the mass consumer. I doubt if they'll ever make a great or surprising movie, but I doubt they care. They gravy train continues to deliver the gravy. So long as it does, they'll stick to the tried and true formula. They're trying to do something similar with the TV shows, but they they've clearly lost the plot a bit in recent times.

Fox is doing a bit better with the X-Men franchise. It's a mixed bag in terms of quality, but that's partly a consequence of having less draconian studio control over the product. Singer helms the operation, but not in quite so absolute terms as Feig helms the MCU. That allows guys like Mangold and Vaughn, talented action directors with their own ideas, to make movies that have potential beyond Singer/Feig impressario ceiling. That's without taking into account the weird and wonderful places Noah Hawley's taken Legion. That's not to say there aren't crap X-Men movies. Just the opposite - the bad ones are pretty atrocious. But on the other hand, there are also some really good quality films as well. IMO Logan and Legion are the two best on screen superhero products made since The Dark Knight.

Great response Redcap! I'm yet to watch Logan or Legion but both of them sound absolutely fantastic from what I've heard!

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 10:51:18 pm »
I'm not very knowledgeable about either but have enjoyed all the Marvel films and Daredevil, so not sure if that counts?

The only comics I read as a kid were 2000AD hand me downs from my brother, so if there was an option for that that's where my vote would go. They were sick. Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper, ABC Warriors, that was my shit.

It's all good though. Apologies if I'm verging off tpic, I'm pretty hammered tonight!

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 12:05:21 am »
Never read a comic in my life, so no opinion on those.

Films: The Nolan/Bale Batman trilogy is head and shoulders above any Marvel film, but take those 3 out of the equation and Marvel are far more consistent and I much prefer their films (although I think they need to tone down the releases a little bit, feels like they have a new film out every 2-3 months).

TV: I don't think this one is a contest at all, Marvel walk all over them when it comes to TV. Huge fan of Jessica Jones and Daredevil, Luke Cage started out well but fell off a cliff in the second half of the season, yet to watch Iron Fist, and had no intention of ever checking out Agents of Shield or any other shows they've done on network TV. Really looking forward to starting Legion though. DC.. Arrow was ok for a season or two but fell apart, and I've had no desire to check out any of their other shows.

So, give me the Dark Knight Trilogy over anything Marvel have produced, but give me any of the Marvel Netflix shows over any show DC has produced.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:07:31 am by JoeCole is for life, not just Christmas! »

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 12:40:20 am »
DC at it's best is better than Marvel in both Movie and Comic book form

Marvel's cinematic Universe is better than DC's disaster though. But Fox blows both out the water
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 10:05:56 am »
But Fox blows both out the water

Did they do the Fantastic Four films? Blows is right ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 11:15:26 am »
Did they do the Fantastic Four films? Blows is right ;D

They have some bad misses, but in my opinion Logan and Deadpool are better than anything from the current MCU or DCU, and legion is by far the most interesting superhero show right now

Perhaps I'm more leniant to fox because they're willing to take risksunlike marvel or DC where everything feels so clinical and focus group tested.

When I watch a marvel film I don't feel like I'm watching art, seeing a message and vision from a director, I feel like I'm watching a product that's been designed to sell. Maybe I'm not explaining it that well

Fox is guilty of this too, but Logan, deadpool and legion feel like projects that happened from people who love the characters and want to make a great movie/show

Marvel isn't bad, but 5 minutes after you've watched the film (which you enjoyed), you've forgotten about it and never think about it again
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 11:30:20 am »
They have some bad misses, but in my opinion Logan and Deadpool are better than anything from the current MCU or DCU, and legion is by far the most interesting superhero show right now

No, you are probably right, being facetious aside, haven't seen Logan yet but Deadpool and Legion are great. Marvel are super enjoyable while they're happening, but as you say, most of them leave little impression after the fact. the TV shows have been mixed but even the better ones suffer badly with pacing issues (or too much padding).

I'm not a massive fan of the DC stuff, the first two Nolan Batman movies were watchable but I didn't bother going back for the third. Suicide Squad was one of the worst films I've ever watched. I avoided Superman.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 11:51:38 am »

Perhaps I'm more leniant to fox because they're willing to take risksunlike marvel or DC where everything feels so clinical and focus group tested.

When I watch a marvel film I don't feel like I'm watching art, seeing a message and vision from a director, I feel like I'm watching a product that's been designed to sell. Maybe I'm not explaining it that well

Fox is guilty of this too, but Logan, deadpool and legion feel like projects that happened from people who love the characters and want to make a great movie/show

Marvel isn't bad, but 5 minutes after you've watched the film (which you enjoyed), you've forgotten about it and never think about it again

Nah, it was good but not as good as stuff like Guardians, Winter Soldier or Assemble
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 04:09:23 pm »
DC have the best characters and the best comics over the years. They've also made a string of baffling decisions with their recent world building movies.

Marvel is Marvel. Solid 6/10 movies that don't ask much of anyone and fall apart under the slightest scrutiny.

Going forward Fox seem to have the best handle on things, although Jackman finishing up as Wolverine is a big blow.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 04:18:36 pm »
DC have the best characters and the best comics over the years.

They really mess up big time now and then though.

Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 04:24:19 pm »
DC have the best characters and the best comics over the years. They've also made a string of baffling decisions with their recent world building movies.

Marvel is Marvel. Solid 6/10 movies that don't ask much of anyone and fall apart under the slightest scrutiny.

Going forward Fox seem to have the best handle on things, although Jackman finishing up as Wolverine is a big blow.

I thought you liked Marvel Claus?!  :o
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 06:04:18 pm »
Wow Marvel have knocked it out the park!

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 06:46:05 pm »
DC all day.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 06:48:25 pm »
I thought you liked Marvel Claus?!  :o

My favourite superhero movie is sort of a Marvel one if that counts!
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 08:02:44 pm »
DC at it's best is miles above Marvel at it's best.
:D

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 08:36:16 pm »
Went with both as Marvel have the best TV shows, but Batman is better than them all put together
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 08:54:56 pm »
DC only needs Vertigo to be above Marvel.

And they have it.
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 09:17:06 pm »
Wow Marvel have knocked it out the park!

I would speculate that it's because as a group, the voters have been bigger consumers of movies/TV than comics.

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 11:03:19 pm »
Have enjoyed the Fox movies of late, especially Deadpool. Was hoping Logan would be true to the Old man Logan story, which could have been an 18 deadpool type movie. Bit bored of the Avengers stuff but I did enjoy Doctor Strange.

I enjoy most of the DC movies too. Dawn of justice is actually my favourite of the lot.

I'd probably pick Marvel over DC though by a clear mile.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 03:58:50 am »
I look at this more from a comics point of view, in which case a lot of it's to do with taste. DC invented the modern day idea of the superhero and as such still has a very classical view. Supes, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Green Lanterns are all pretty otherwordly characters that often seem two-dimensional, though their stories also tend to take place on a bigger scale. Marvel's characters are all post-60's and most either started as youngsters or have a very 60's sensibility so there's more wisecracking. I think their universe tends to be integrated better too in terms of crossovers and world building.

For what it's worth I voted for both, since I generally read both, but most of my favourite mainstream characters - Dardevil, Punisher, Spider-Man - are Marvel. I stopped reading at the whole Secret Wars debacle but prior to that they had a lot of really good books out - Mark Waid's Daredevil, Matt Fraction's Hawkeye and the Gillen/McKelvie Young Avengers were all top notch. Historically, Frank Miller's run on Daredevil and Chris Claremont's on Uncanny X-Men are probably the two best commercial comics runs in history. If you have any interest in the characters they're essential reading. Having said that, Brian Michael Bendis is their top writer and he's awful. Snyder, Straczynski, Simone and Johns have all done very good and occasionally great work at DC in the past few years but to be honest, Image has had the best books for a while now.

As for other media, it's hard to argue against Marvel for cinema - GOTG, Deadpool and the X-Men, Avengers and Civil War films collectively outdo the Nolan/Burton Batman flicks, and everything else DC has done has been terrible. In terms of animated output. in Batman the Animated Series and Justice League the DC Animated Universe has arguably two of the greatest cartoon shows ever made, plus Teen Titans, Young Justice, Superman: The Animated Series are all very good. The X-Men cartoon was great to begin with but fell off quite sharply and I never liked the Spider-man animated version much.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 04:03:12 am by Sheer Magnetism »

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 09:33:14 am »
A mention for the first two Superman films as well  seeing as they've not been mentioned. That takes DC to 7 quality films with the Nolan and Burton Batman's.

7 films that I will happily rewatch for the rest of my life. Unfortunately they are all 5 years old or more.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 06:01:07 pm »
Marvel makes better movies but DC makes better comics
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 01:44:31 pm »
Marvel owns in every department