Author Topic: The Matrix (Rebooted)  (Read 6294 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The Matrix (Rebooted)
« on: March 15, 2017, 01:40:47 am »
'The Matrix' Reboot in the Works at Warner Bros. (Exclusive) http://thr.cm/SyugdK

More Matrix? Bet on it.

It’s still not clear what shape the project will take, but sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Warner Bros. is in the early stages of developing a relaunch of The Matrix, the iconic 1999 sci-fi movie that is considered one of the most original films in cinematic history, with Zak Penn in talks to write a treatment.

Sources say there is potential interest in Michael B. Jordan to star, but much must be done before the project is ready to go.

At this point, the Wachowski siblings, who wrote and directed the original and its two sequels, are not involved and the nature of their potential engagement with a new version has not been determined. Certainly, Warners would want the two filmmakers to give at minimum a blessing to the nascent project. The studio had no comment.

Joel Silver, who produced the original trilogy, is said to have approached Warners about the idea of mining The Matrix for a potential new film. However, Silver sold his interest in all his movies to the studio in 2012 for about $30 million, according to sources. Warners is said to be leery of including him in any meaningful role, as he not only has a reputation for budget-control issues, but apparently has a strained relationship with the Wachowskis. The siblings hold much more meaning for fans than the producer. Silvers reps did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Written and directed by the Wachowskis when they went by Andy and Larry, the original movie sees humanity living in a simulated reality, unaware that humans are in pods in which their bodies are being harvested for energy. A computer programmer named Neo (Keanu Reeves) slowly becomes aware of this suppressed existence, eventually becoming humanity’s one true hope (Neo = One) to overthrow the oppressors. The pic also starred Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss and Hugo Weaving.

The Matrix was released in a quiet period of the 1999 release calendar — March 31 — and Warner Bros. didn’t have outsized expectations for an action movie with obvious Manga and comic-book influences. But the story and ground-breaking special effects (including the slow-motion "bullet time" effect, which launched dozens of imitators in the years that followed) became the highest grossing R-rated film of 1999 in North America, and the fourth-highest grossing film of the year worldwide. It also won four Academy Awards.

Two sequels, Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, were not as well received, but Reeves’ deal for those films made him one of the richest actors in Hollywood.

While promoting John Wick: Chapter 2, Reeves said he would be open to returning for another installment of the franchise if the Wachowskis were involved. "They would have to write it and direct it. And then we’d see what the story is, but yeah, I dunno, that’d be weird, but why not?” he told Yahoo Movies. However, it is likely that Warners will look elsewhere to attract an A-list director and star.

While some at Warners consider the title among the studio’s sacrosanct properties, such as Casablanca, others see a need to redevelop it in an environment where studios are desperately looking for ways to monetize their libraries and branded IP is hard to come by.

The idea of adapting The Matrix as a television series was nixed in recent months. But Warner Bros. sees a model in what Disney and Lucasfilm have done with Star Wars, exploring the hidden corners of the universe with movies such as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story or the in-production young Han Solo film. Perhaps a young Morpheus movie could come out of the exploration, as an example.

Penn is a writer with deep roots in the geeky genres in which Matrix travels. He created the Syfy network’s super-powered show Alphas and has been involved in comic book movies ranging from the X-Men franchise to The Avengers.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Matrix (Rebooted)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 01:56:59 am »
Give it 5 years and they'll be rebooting/remaking movies before they're even released
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 08:29:25 am »
Bored of these reboots, show me some originality please Hollywood.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 08:32:40 am »
you just know a reboot is going to be crap

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 08:48:42 am »
I really see no reason for a reboot.
Sure, revisit the universe, write a new story of a new Neo (it's cyclical anyway), but a straight up reboot?
No point to it.

Original Matrix is still a very good movie and has hardly aged badly.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 09:31:28 am »
in other news The Golden Girls is making a comeback ....which piques my interest rather more than the Matrix announcement
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 09:52:56 am »
The only positive is that some of the irksome nu metal soundtrack (it was 1999 after all) might not survive.

I guess Grant Morrison still won't see a penny anyway.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 10:53:01 am »

The problem is that most of these reboots make money. If people didnt go to watch stupid reboots and instead went to see original films then Holywood would change. Its supply and demand unfortunately. Just see it getting worse.
Football is a lie

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 10:56:43 am »
Just watched the trilogy recently unaware of this news..

Really enjoyed it. Even the sequels (though the original is clearly the best of the lot)

Agree with this in general......

At the very least a different story within the universe that would separate it from the original enough
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 10:58:16 am »
The problem is that most of these reboots make money.

Do they? Ghostbusters didn't, Total Recall didn't, RoboCop barely did, Dredd didn't (and that's a shame). I can't think of huge successes in this reboot industry, but maybe my mind is a bit clouded. Ok, maybe Star Trek enters this category, but I wouldn't say that it's a reboot.
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 11:05:16 am »
What is going on in Hollywood, nothing is sacred, everything is rebooted 10 years or so later, sometimes not even that long, jesus christ!

Fuck off and write some original work you fucking weapons, I don't wanna see the same movie twice but with different people and reboots are almost always (but not 100% always) worst.

There sooooo many books/novels out there that could be made into movies as well (but Hollywood would probs fuck that up too, see World War Z)

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 11:06:40 am »
Do they? Ghostbusters didn't, Total Recall didn't, RoboCop barely did, Dredd didn't (and that's a shame). I can't think of huge successes in this reboot industry, but maybe my mind is a bit clouded. Ok, maybe Star Trek enters this category, but I wouldn't say that it's a reboot.

There's a few big hits in recent years. Jurrassic World, The Jungle Book, Planet of the Apes. But yeah it's becoming a lot more risky it seems, likes of Ben-Hur, Ghostbusters, Fantastic Four have all flopped big in the last couple years
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 11:09:30 am »
There's a few big hits in recent years. Jurrassic World, The Jungle Book, Planet of the Apes. But yeah it's becoming a lot more risky it seems, likes of Ben-Hur, Ghostbusters, Fantastic Four have all flopped big in the last couple years

Ghostbusters was the first big one in my head to really bomb like people had had enough. On the flip side the new Transformers movies are an offense to my childhood but still make loads (I think). Who knows. I think a reboot is so easy creative wise and less risky than an original concept.
Football is a lie

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 12:31:47 pm »
Ghostbusters was the first big one in my head to really bomb like people had had enough. On the flip side the new Transformers movies are an offense to my childhood but still make loads (I think). Who knows. I think a reboot is so easy creative wise and less risky than an original concept.

The latest transformers movie actually did flop in America, the problem is China absolutely loved it

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers4.htm

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 12:38:05 pm »
Yay a Matrix reboot, said no one ever.

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 12:43:42 pm »
What is going on in Hollywood, nothing is sacred, everything is rebooted 10 years or so later, sometimes not even that long, jesus christ!

Fuck off and write some original work you fucking weapons, I don't wanna see the same movie twice but with different people and reboots are almost always (but not 100% always) worst.

There sooooo many books/novels out there that could be made into movies as well (but Hollywood would probs fuck that up too, see World War Z)

The thing is, I don't think (I have nothing to back this up) there would be a shortage of original scripts floating around. Producers and studios need to take the risk though.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 05:57:36 pm »

Mad Max did well

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 06:17:21 pm »
I've no problems with reboots or straight up remakes so long as they are well made and actually improve on the originals. The thing is, that very seldom happens. Remaking, or rebooting, something that just doesn't need it in order to cash in on nostalgia, well, that's it's own thing, and I absolutely despise that. Ghostbuster again being a perfect example.

In other news, I read last night that Ridley Scott wants to do a sequel/reboot of Gladiator...and bring Russell Crowe back. I mean...what...I don't even...fuck it.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 06:39:26 pm »
Look at these fucking whoppers in the Predator remake.

Rodney Trotter in the Arnie role:

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
  • We must all at least Tri
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 07:44:00 pm »

Bloody hell, that's two of my three favorite movies ever going to the shithouse then!!! Rambo (my other one) will be next unless its already been rehashed!  :no

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 07:44:13 pm »
I've no problems with reboots or straight up remakes so long as they are well made and actually improve on the originals. The thing is, that very seldom happens. Remaking, or rebooting, something that just doesn't need it in order to cash in on nostalgia, well, that's it's own thing, and I absolutely despise that. Ghostbuster again being a perfect example.

In other news, I read last night that Ridley Scott wants to do a sequel/reboot of Gladiator...and bring Russell Crowe back. I mean...what...I don't even...fuck it.

The concept behind that Gladiator sequel (if it's the one from years ago) is cool as fuck and would make a terrible movie.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 07:49:08 pm »
Bloody hell, that's two of my three favorite movies ever going to the shithouse then!!! Rambo (my other one) will be next unless its already been rehashed!  :no

I'm sure Rambo and Rocky will be coming up soon

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 07:50:08 pm »
Can't be worse than the original.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 07:55:00 pm »
I'm sure Rambo and Rocky will be coming up soon
Creed was sort of a soft reboot of Rocky, and Rambo came out in 2008, although that was a sequel.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 10:11:07 pm »
Creed was sort of a soft reboot of Rocky, and Rambo came out in 2008, although that was a sequel.

As was J.J. Abrams Star Trek, and it worked pretty well. It seems the way to go to revive (ie make ££££) dead franchises.
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 03:31:02 am »
Can't be worse than the original.

Nah, the original was at it's very basic a decent action flick. Now the sequels are another discussion.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 09:45:31 am »

Why is there a fucking kid in the Predator movie?

I already know it's gonna suck, like Total Recall and many reboots before it, will be watered down, no blood etc and be a PG-12 or something...Predator...really? Just like the new Terminators.

Fuck Hollywood, bunch of c*nts.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 11:35:48 am »
Wait, his name is actually Michael Jordan?

Don't care about the 'B' in the middle.  :P
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 02:30:11 pm »
Why not just use Keanu Reeves again, it's very easy to script it such that his consciousness is eternal in the matrix.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2017, 03:15:55 pm »
Why not just use Keanu Reeves again, it's very easy to script it such that his consciousness is eternal in the matrix.

It's not like he's aged much either.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2017, 03:17:32 pm »
Its' because he died in Revolutions.  :P

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2017, 04:44:45 pm »
Ah Samie but is it as clear cut as that? I remember reading the following

https://www.quora.com/What-happens-to-Neo-at-the-end-of-The-Matrix-Revolutions

...some months back, the impression I got from there is that the opening is there for him to return as a higher being within the matrix quite easily, but for the physical world, they have to get a bit creative.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2017, 04:53:07 pm »
Not seen the original in years. No need for a reboot.

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2017, 08:26:40 pm »
I'll pass.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2017, 08:48:46 pm »
Has anybody read the theory on the internet that Agent Smith was the good guy and Neo the bad guy after all? Sure I read it somewhere.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2017, 11:24:25 pm »
Given WB's recent record with the DC universe, I'd be extremely concerned with this.

It's not as if The Matrix wasn't already milked for every penny it was worth, and then some.

It's not a Batman or Spider-Man sized brand, and doesn't really warrant a reboot/remake.

The one scenario where I'd be a little bit more interested, is if they made it a TV series on Netflix, and used it as a Black Mirror type show to explore different sci-fi ideas, while wrapping it up with the Matrix universe. A bit like the Animatrix was, which had some misses, but a couple of interesting hits.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2017, 02:42:20 am »
Zak Penn (who most recently wrote Ready Player One for Steven Spielberg), the screenwriter attached to the new Matrix project that's in development at Warner Bros. has taken to Twitter to refute reports that he's scripting a reboot, citing the Animatrix and the Matrix comics for clues as to what the film would look to explore.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/the-new-matrix-project-is-now-said-to-be-a-prequel-that-follows-a-young-morpheus-a149720

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2017, 12:31:23 pm »
Rumours going around that it'll be based on a young Morpheus.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2019, 11:04:01 pm »
No reboot but a 4th film.

Happy days.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2019, 11:22:31 pm »
Rumours going around that it'll be based on a young Morpheus.

I think I hate prequels the most.