Author Topic: Logan (2017)  (Read 3453 times)

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
Logan (2017)
« on: March 4, 2017, 12:32:08 am »
Film this good surely deserves it's own thread, not part of the official MCU anyway...thank fuck.

Back a few hours from watching it and still tingling...just, WOW! So many years wasted making shite comic book films when we could have been dining out on fare like this. So satisfied that Wolverine got to make this film.

Thank you Deadpool!

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Logan (2017)
« Reply #1 on: March 5, 2017, 09:39:29 pm »
Saw it last night and was really glad I did. Both Jackmann and the young girl who co-starts did a hell of a job. Well in Marvel.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 5, 2017, 09:42:42 pm »
Was really good, everything Wolverine should be about is in this movie. Won't repeat my review from the other thread, but it's the best superhero movie since Dark Knight. It's doing really well at the Box Office too, hopefully this and Deadpool convinces the others that you don't need quippy, episodic PG-13 superhero movies to make bank.

Saw it last night and was really glad I did. Both Jackmann and the young girl who co-starts did a hell of a job. Well in Marvel.

Well in Fox  ;) Marvel don't get a say in Fox movies
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 6, 2017, 03:10:55 pm »
Was very enjoyable, I also got quite emotional in places, which can't be said for many other super hero movies I have watched. Well worth the watch.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 7, 2017, 03:53:28 am »
Best X-Men film by far. Brilliant.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5 on: March 7, 2017, 09:58:41 am »
The 3 leads were all amazing, really enjoyed it.  Felt it suffered a bit from not having a main villain, Richard E Grant was an afterthought and was dispatched accordingly and the Reavers didn't feel like much of a threat.  Finally a proper Wolverine movie though, him and X-23 just wrecking people was great fun.

Wasn't too bothered about Xavier or Logan buying it but X-23 turning the cross into an X at the end nearly got me.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 7, 2017, 02:44:40 pm »
Amazing send-off for Wolverine, and Professor X. Really hope we get to see more of X-23, thought the girl playing her didn't look out of place alongside her older co-stars.

Few nit-picks, but overall a really good movie that isn't bogged down by what's happened before, or tries to set up what may happen in the future, it just tells a story. A fan-fucking-tastic one.

Also wouldn't be giving FOX too much credit, Jackman had to take a huge pay-cut to get it made, and even then FOX were still very nervous about it all the way up to post-production.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: March 7, 2017, 06:13:07 pm »
Greatly acted, some brilliant action scenes, over all very emotional & sombre but also has some genuinely funny moments.

Such a good film.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 7, 2017, 06:19:36 pm »
Do you have to know what's happened in the other films?

Going to watch this in a bit.

Online John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 7, 2017, 06:37:29 pm »

No, just need to have a basic understanding of who Logan, Professor X, and the X-Men are going in. The story is self contained with some slight references to the characters on screen pasts.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2017, 06:39:01 pm by John_P »
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #10 on: March 8, 2017, 02:34:14 am »
Hugh Jackman doing post production audio. Intense, then... "Hi."

https://twitter.com/RealHughJackman/status/839108592447995907
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #11 on: March 8, 2017, 05:54:21 am »
No, just need to have a basic understanding of who Logan, Professor X, and the X-Men are going in. The story is self contained with some slight references to the characters on screen pasts.

I'd say the experience of the film is much improved by having seen a few of the movies.

The movie leverages a lot of emotional resonance by being a farewell to two actors that have been around for a long time in these roles.

Online John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 8, 2017, 03:48:34 pm »
I'd say the experience of the film is much improved by having seen a few of the movies.

The movie leverages a lot of emotional resonance by being a farewell to two actors that have been around for a long time in these roles.

I'd definitely agree with that, knowing their earlier films certainly enhances this one but the film can still be enjoyed by people with just a basic knowledge of the characters.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 8, 2017, 03:54:45 pm »
So will Laura be kid-sized forever? Or does she not have adamantium bones?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #14 on: March 8, 2017, 04:02:31 pm »
So will Laura be kid-sized forever? Or does she not have adamantium bones?

It's only on her claws.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #15 on: March 8, 2017, 04:04:38 pm »

If you mean the other wolverine standalones, no.

But to at least get a feel of the character, seeing a few of the X-Men films would probably be beneficial.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 8, 2017, 04:36:45 pm »
It's only on her claws.

Ah that's good, she'd be a messed up person otherwise.

Thought the film was brilliant, it had some great action scenes and nice to see them build up some anticipation for Wolverine to go apeshit, rather than having him do it all through the movie. His transition from being a dick to the girl to how he was at the end was a bit sudden but other than that it was just a quality film from start to finish.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 8, 2017, 04:40:10 pm »
Ah that's good, she'd be a messed up person otherwise.

Thought the film was brilliant, it had some great action scenes and nice to see them build up some anticipation for Wolverine to go apeshit, rather than having him do it all through the movie. His transition from being a dick to the girl to how he was at the end was a bit sudden but other than that it was just a quality film from start to finish.

Spoiler
In fairness he found out that she was his daughter in the middle of the film.

Wolverine always hides his vulnerabilities and emotions behind anger and pretending not to care. He was only being a dick because whenever he grows to care or love about somebody, they inevitably die, so his solution is to be a dick and isolate himself so he doesn't form attachments. And I think the meal with the black family and the idea that him, Charles and her could be happy together softened him up again
[close]
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 8, 2017, 04:43:55 pm »
Spoiler
In fairness he found out that she was his daughter in the middle of the film.

Wolverine always hides his vulnerabilities and emotions behind anger and pretending not to care. He was only being a dick because whenever he grows to care or love about somebody, they inevitably die, so his solution is to be a dick and isolate himself so he doesn't form attachments. And I think the meal with the black family and the idea that him, Charles and her could be happy together softened him up again
[close]

Spoiler
Yeah I got all of that, it's just between him finding out she was his daughter and then him fighting for her at the end there was a long period where he didn't really seem to gradually change, it was pretty sudden. It's not a major gripe as all of the pieces are there, it just felt like it needed one or two softer moments in the latter stages of the road trip.
[close]

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 08:49:17 pm »
Rewatched it again last night, so damn good. Definitely stands up to a rewatch, appreciated the girl's performance even more this time, so perfect. Could have gone so wrong if they got an annoying awful kid

Spoiler
[close]

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 08:05:08 pm »
Great film... 

Really well done.

Nice comic turn from Merchant too..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 03:06:32 am »
Nice comic turn from Merchant too..

Didn't think Merchant played it comedically at all myself. Other than that little bit of mumbling in between him "dumping the body" and being laid out by said body, he was straight.

I'm just back from it, I'm a little disappointed if I'm honest. Maybe I should let it settle and then come back. Maybe I was expecting too much?

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 10:49:29 pm »
Loved that. Been growing up watching these movies, and that was probably the best of them.

Spoiler
If I hadn't been in a crowded theater I'd probably have sobbed my eyes out though
[close]

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 09:07:59 am »
Someone spoilt the ending for me on one of those stupid facebook pictures... 
Not bothered watching it yet because of that.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 02:36:16 pm »
Someone spoilt the ending for me on one of those stupid facebook pictures... 
Not bothered watching it yet because of that.

To be fair, was anybody really watching it not expecting the ending?

Online paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 03:39:32 pm »
I went into this completely blind expecting a standard xmen film. I was shocked at how good it was, genuinely good film even if you removed the super powers.

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 11:00:12 pm »
Watched it today brilliant movie, agreed with it being the best superhero movie since Dark Knight.

The girl who played Laura was the standout for me, got Eleven from Stranger Things vibes from her performance

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 1, 2017, 04:13:49 am »
Just saw this today.

Was good fun with a few very moving scenes. Like Midnight Special meets Terminator 2.