Author Topic: Any recommended replacement for the HUDL2?  (Read 955 times)

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
Any recommended replacement for the HUDL2?
« on: January 28, 2017, 08:52:20 am »
Our beloved HUDL2 is suffering from the problem of the charging socket being almost unusable, and I think it's time to say goodbye to what's been brilliant value for money.

It's primarily used for watching youtube cartoons and for reading QR codes (for home based treasure hunts!)

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement, roughly the same screen size \ resolution, reasonably snappy.  I'd like to think that 3ish years on I could get something similary specced for £100ish but there's so many out there. 

If I have to go up nearer £180 then so be it, but I'd rather spend the money on something good, than spend less on something that's just frustrating!

Thanks all.

--Edit, don't care if it's sleek or particularly good hand held, more interested in performance\screen being responsive. I guess pretty much anything is fine resolution wise for youtube--
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
Re: Any recommended replacement for the HUDL2?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 07:40:17 pm »
No 1 son has a hudl and No 2 has a kindle fire. Both were around the £50 mark.

If you can forgive (and maybe remove) all the amazon crap thats preinstalled then i find the kindle fire a bit better.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 09:08:10 pm »
Thanks Richie, Kindle has been at the top of my list.

Is there a youtube app, or do you watch in browser?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 06:54:51 pm »
My wee fella got a Lenovo 3 Tab Essential 7", £59.99 and it does a smashing job, just buy a micro SD card too as the memory is only 8gb

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 08:21:40 am »
Thanks, Lenovo Tab reserved at Argos..

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 5, 2017, 12:18:30 pm »
My wee fella got a Lenovo 3 Tab Essential 7", £59.99 and it does a smashing job, just buy a micro SD card too as the memory is only 8gb

Went for the more expensive (but on offer) Lenovo Yoga. flipping excellent bit of kit. Trying to find a reason to buy myself one now...
Thanks Flaccido