Author Topic: The Last Kingdom (Netflix/BBC TV Series)  (Read 19449 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The Last Kingdom (Netflix/BBC TV Series)
« on: January 24, 2017, 10:21:24 am »
After finishing Season 1 of 'The Last Kingdom' last night I feel compelled to start a thread.  What an absolute joy of a program and cant wait for season 2 in the Spring.

Season 1 is an 8 part adaptation of Bernard Cornwell's novel series 'Saxon Stories' telling the story of the Viking invasions and how the Anglo-Saxons tried to deal with them during the 9th Century.

The story tells of a young boy named Uhtred, who after witnessing his unloving father (A Saxon Lord in Northumbria) slain in battle, is then adopted by a Viking warlord.  He is loved by his new father and grows up a happy Dane.  Following a series of events that I won't spoil for you,  he then becomes a man caught between the 2 warring factions and as such his loyalty is constantly being tested by both sides.

Its been billed as a sort of GoT and Vikings hybrid.  I've haven't watched 'Vikings' yet so wouldn't know. (I'm starting it this week)

It's got everything as you'd expect from a Netflix/BBC production.  Superb Acting, Interesting characters, quirky dialogue, cool story with lots of accurate historical references.  But don't worry! there is also plenty of violence and blood curdling scenes. Hell, there's even a few sex scenes thrown in for good measure.

Its available on demand and catch-up and I really do recommend it if you like this sort of thing. 

SO...If you like your historical drama's to be filled with blood & Guts, treachery, fine acting and a smattering of tits and bums then get on this ready for the upcoming season 2

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/l6j5bDoga9Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/l6j5bDoga9Y</a>

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: The Last Kingdom (Netflix/BBC TV Series)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 01:58:43 pm »
Nice. I've just started Vikings myself, I'll give this a watch when I'm done.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 02:01:26 pm »
Really enjoyed this series, and will give it a second watch before the new series is due to air. Can't seem to find an air date for the second series other than 2017.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 02:39:03 pm »
Really enjoyed this series, and will give it a second watch before the new series is due to air. Can't seem to find an air date for the second series other than 2017.

Nah all I can find myself is just spring 2017 at the moment mate.

Plenty of time for me to work through Vikings.

New seasons of Better Call Saul, GoT and Last Kingdom all coming up. Happy Days :)

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 08:13:53 pm »
Saw a brief clip of it on a BBC trailer for upcoming programs the other day, so am assuming the new series won't be long before its on. Due to reading most of the books a while ago I'm not sure how far along the first series went into the book series, but with ten books there must be a few more tv series possible. Hope so anyway.

Offline cricketrocks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 01:10:54 am »
I couldn't get into it, though I very rarely enjoy a TV series after reading the books; it's always likely to feel inferior/lacking, as GOT did, and it's hard for me to just enjoy it for what it is.

I'm not that bothered though, I'd rather have the TV series ruined than the books.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 08:15:32 am »
Saw a brief clip of it on a BBC trailer for upcoming programs the other day, so am assuming the new series won't be long before its on. Due to reading most of the books a while ago I'm not sure how far along the first series went into the book series, but with ten books there must be a few more tv series possible. Hope so anyway.
The first episode was the first book condensed to fit the time scale....horrible!!
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 09:43:29 am »
Thought I'd watch the first episode last night because of the recommendations in this thread. Three episodes later and my late night is on all of your heads.

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 12:01:06 pm »
The first episode was the first book condensed to fit the time scale....horrible!!

Oh right, blimey, didn't realise it was that condensed. Maybe this new series will be it then. Then again they can always say any show is based on a book and go down another road story wise.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 10:50:55 pm »
I think the first series covered the first two books, and the second is going to cover the 3rd and 4th books.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 11:02:20 pm »
I think the first series covered the first two books, and the second is going to cover the 3rd and 4th books.
It's been a long time since I read the first novel so I might be wrong, but doesn't it end with that scene at Ragnar's hall?

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Online Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 05:55:15 pm »
New series starts Thursday 9 oclock

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 07:40:24 pm »
Yay thanks for that, will be watching it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 08:13:07 pm »
Yay thanks for that, will be watching it.

:) yet more quality telly to watch. I can't keep up.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 12:03:55 am »
New series starts Thursday 9 oclock

Great news! Cheers for the heads up

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 12:09:32 am »
I've read all the books D and agree it's annoying seeing it all condensed in each episode, it's the nature of the beast when they make these things though. All that aside I'm glad it's coming back for another series as it is a good watch still.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 12:06:21 pm »
Binged watched the first series of this and currently binging through Vikings. I like that there's some cross over between characters.

Is Ubba in last Kingdom the son of Ragnar Lothbrok in Vikings? Was old Ragnar in fact Ragnar Lothbrok?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 04:53:04 pm »
2nd series starts tonight looking forward to it.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 11:29:21 am »
New series any good?

Will try and watch Ep1 tonight.

No spoilers obviously please.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 02:16:30 pm »
New series any good?

Will try and watch Ep1 tonight.

No spoilers obviously please.

Ive decided to wait until they have all been shown then watch them.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 08:15:32 pm »
Ive decided to wait until they have all been shown then watch them.

Same for me, tend to do that all the time now. Eight episodes in this series, looking forward to it.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 02:42:52 pm »
You lads have got more TV will power than me that's for sure.  I love watching week by week if it's an option, rather than the binge watch and I cant get my head around people not watching it when its actually on. Hey but each to their own :)

anyway...

You'll be glad to know the first episode was great and pretty much started where it left off. There does not appear to have been any dramatic change of the guard other than one character that seems to have appeared out of nowhere.

The main story(ies) for the forthcoming episodes have been established.  The potential heroes, villains and neutrals have been identified and I'm sure there will be a few additions and exits over the next 8 weeks.

I might have to come back in 8 weeks to chat in here about the episodes if no fucker is watching it now. :(

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 03:17:58 pm »
Actually, my bad. There isn't a character that has appeared out of nowhere.  This isn't a spoiler but the character I was referring to was indeed Halig, the Young lad who handles the horses in series 1 and ultimately rode off with Uhtred and Sister Hild at the very end of the first season.

He's now grown a beard for series 2 and I was thinking who the fuck is this random guy suddenly the best of buddies with Uhtred :)

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 08:28:04 am »
If it makes you feel better Pete, I'm watching it too! :)
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 09:56:53 am »
If it makes you feel better Pete, I'm watching it too! :)

:)

What did you think?  I really enjoyed it and it's great to have it back.

Spoiler
Liking the look of the bad guys our Uthred is going to have to deal with.

Sigefrid and Erik are going to fun to deal with but the main story arc is gonna be Uhtred and Kjartan wanting to kill each other :)

[close]

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 03:06:53 pm »
I enjoyed it. Like you said, straight from series one into series two.

I'm keen and eager to see how the series pans out...

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2017, 10:25:49 am »
Great 3rd episode last night

Loving this new series. :)

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2017, 04:09:46 pm »
Great 3rd episode last night

Loving this new series. :)

Will hopefully catch up tonight!

I feel a certain "king" won't make it past the end of the series after last week!

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2017, 05:20:38 pm »
Will hopefully catch up tonight!

I feel a certain "king" won't make it past the end of the series after last week!

Spoiler
He's certainly living on borrowed time that's for sure!!
[close]

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 04:47:14 pm »
I've read all the books D and agree it's annoying seeing it all condensed in each episode, it's the nature of the beast when they make these things though. All that aside I'm glad it's coming back for another series as it is a good watch still.
I'm a little bitch, C..moaning for fuck all. ;D Nothing new there like.

I'm enjoying this second series..Uthred's grown on me.

Offline inq80

• Anny Roader
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 10:40:58 pm »
I've blitzed through vikings since the first season of this. I don't know how anyone could go back to it? Vikings seems so authentic and this just feels like a group of thespians "acting"

This ain't a bad thing per say; it just come across far more as a scripted drama filmed on sets than vikings does. Vikings generally feels like you spending a life in the day of some real life historical figures.
If the internet and 24 sports coverage existed in 1968/69, Shankly would have got the sack.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2017, 10:53:16 pm »
I've blitzed through vikings since the first season of this. I don't know how anyone could go back to it? Vikings seems so authentic and this just feels like a group of thespians "acting"

This ain't a bad thing per say; it just come across far more as a scripted drama filmed on sets than vikings does. Vikings generally feels like you spending a life in the day of some real life historical figures.

Wow, a TV show with thespians acting in accordance to a written script and being filmed on a film set. How dare they!!.

I hear what your saying mate to be fair. Vikings is based on true historical facts and is definitely far more of a educational drama rather than Last Kingdom which is purely TV entertainment loosely based on the Viking/Saxon era.  I suspect the Vikings budget is considerably lower than that of Last Kingdom too.

I love Last Kingdom but also enjoy Vikings.  WIll be moving on to season 2 of the latter once Last Kingdom finishes in a few weeks.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2017, 11:14:04 pm »
Im enjoying this...however , I cant take it too seriously as Uthreds accent is exactly like Bill Baileys jokey " ye olde England worlde" type voice..infact Bill Bailey would not look out of place....whith out the need for styling!

Offline inq80

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2017, 11:15:06 pm »

I suspect the Vikings budget is considerably lower than that of Last Kingdom too.

Really? I thought it might be the other way round.

Some of the sets on kingdom seem ever so slight student arts project; you know in the sense that some British drama are suppose to be set inside a Victorian terrace house, but when you watch it, the room set is actually huge - obviously just so they can fit the cameras / staff in there whilst filming, but it makes the set subliminally inauthentic and can tend to take you out of the scene.

Vikings on the other hand ( like game of thrones ) look like they have gone to a lot of trouble to film in just the right location and the buildings generally look like they have been made in the traditional methods. This couldn't have been cheap.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 11:40:07 am by inq80 »
If the internet and 24 sports coverage existed in 1968/69, Shankly would have got the sack.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2017, 08:40:34 am »

I've seen Vikings, read the books this is based upon and still I'm entertained....and as the thread says, I'm a snob.

It's Boys Own entertainment...don't look any further than that...because there's nothing further to read into either series. As to production values...some of the values on Vikings left a lot to be desired as do some of the "historical" elements...Vikings never did that "Blood Eagle" execution, yet the myth is perpetrated on the show....it's entertainment, nothing more.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 4, 2017, 04:42:47 pm »
Last episode of season 2 tonight. Looking forward to the big showdown :)

Spoiler
Celta to win in Vigo and Uhtred of Bebbanburg to win in Beamfleot.

Double is 5/1.
[close]

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #36 on: May 4, 2017, 04:52:13 pm »
Last episode of season 2 tonight. Looking forward to the big showdown :)

Spoiler
Celta to win in Vigo and Uhtred of Bebbanburg to win in Beamfleot.

Double is 5/1.
[close]
That flew. Sign of a decent watch. Gonna miss me little trio into the past. This has really grown, for me, I wasn't the biggest fan but...it's developed into a must watch.

You're fuckin nuts, P. ;D I can dig it, like. ;D

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 4, 2017, 05:04:58 pm »

I will miss it too Dave. As you said earlier...Boys own Stuff.

I shall move on to Vikings season 2 after this has finished to carry on getting my weekly fix of Fur clad warriors, killing, maiming and shagging their way across Wessex and Mercia.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #38 on: May 5, 2017, 06:52:07 am »
I've just finished watching the last episode of season two and have thoroughly enjoyed it, much like the whole series. I'm surprised it isn't garnering more attention, but the vibes seem to be good and it looks as though there just might be a 3rd season because of it.

The only shame will be that it will probably air at least a year from now, if there is a third of course. A decision hasn't been even been made yet, let alone filming started.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 8, 2017, 03:46:27 pm »
I've just finished watching the last episode of season two and have thoroughly enjoyed it, much like the whole series. I'm surprised it isn't garnering more attention, but the vibes seem to be good and it looks as though there just might be a 3rd season because of it.

The only shame will be that it will probably air at least a year from now, if there is a third of course. A decision hasn't been even been made yet, let alone filming started.

Finished season 2 over the weekend.  A great series and thoroughly enjoyed it if you take it for what it is  and don't try and compare it to GoT or Vikings. 

Surely a 3rd series will be in the making soon?  I perish the thought of having to wait a full year to hear those words "I am Uhtred, Son of Uhtred"

On a side note. Harry Stiles used to go out with the actress who plays Princess Ęthelflęd.  The lucky bastard.