Author Topic: Marine A, aka Sgt. Alexander Blackman.  (Read 15488 times)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Marine A, aka Sgt. Alexander Blackman.
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2017, 11:06:52 am »
Very poor decision in my opinion.

Going on what I know, it seems he did murder the victim, but, perhaps him being a British soldier, means he can get away with it.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2017, 08:10:16 pm »
Said it at the time, not condoning or defending his actions but a few minutes earlier a helicopter gunner was shooting this guy which was fair game but then Blackman shooting him wasn't. At what point did killing him go from acceptable to unacceptable?

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2017, 09:30:42 pm »
Said it at the time, not condoning or defending his actions but a few minutes earlier a helicopter gunner was shooting this guy which was fair game but then Blackman shooting him wasn't. At what point did killing him go from acceptable to unacceptable?

When the victim is lying on the floor injured, and you shoot him at point blank range rather than taking him captive. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2017, 09:47:16 pm »

That's why the Geneva Conventions exist. So everybody knows when it's right and when it's not right to kill somebody.

Quoting Shakespeare before killing a disarmed, wounded man and then telling your squad that you've gone against the Geneva convention and not to tell anybody what happened is absolutely not right.
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2017, 09:42:25 am »
I'm not surprised.

People only want to see 'fair' war when its British Troops on the receiving end.  When its the enemy many people, media and MP's even are quite content with British Troops doing what they want.

The whole 'support the troops' 'help for heroes' and its ilk can go do one.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2017, 11:21:29 am »
I'm not surprised.

People only want to see 'fair' war when its British Troops on the receiving end.  When its the enemy many people, media and MP's even are quite content with British Troops doing what they want.

There's a lot of generalising about 'people' there. Funnily enough, this thread doesn't conform with your stereotyping

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2017, 11:23:37 am »
There's a lot of generalising about 'people' there. Funnily enough, this thread doesn't conform with your stereotyping

Unfortunately, when I brought up the story at my work, there was near universal indifference or support for the killing. Anecdotal, for sure, but the public campaign in support of Blackman, and the hordes of internet comments (which are always populated by scum anyway, to be fair) aligned with that campaign really makes for grim reading.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2017, 11:32:26 am »
I'm not surprised.

Who are 'people'?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2017, 11:43:46 am »
Unfortunately, when I brought up the story at my work, there was near universal indifference or support for the killing. Anecdotal, for sure, but the public campaign in support of Blackman, and the hordes of internet comments (which are always populated by scum anyway, to be fair) aligned with that campaign really makes for grim reading.

If people aren't too familiar with the evidence presented during the case, but hear of a Taliban fighter being killed I think that indifference is a relatively human response. It was an active warzone after all. We hear  about people dying around the world on the news everyday, so some people might not invest much emotion in caring that a voluntary Taliban fighter was killed by a British soldier.

Yes there are some more nasty types out there too, whose views I find abhorrent, but I wouldn't say that all those who are indifferent are on the same level

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2017, 11:52:43 am »
If people aren't too familiar with the evidence presented during the case, but hear of a Taliban fighter being killed I think that indifference is a relatively human response. It was an active warzone after all. We hear  about people dying around the world on the news everyday, so some people might not invest much emotion in caring that a voluntary Taliban fighter was killed by a British soldier.

Yes there are some more nasty types out there too, whose views I find abhorrent, but I wouldn't say that all those who are indifferent are on the same level

I can assure you my colleagues, at least, had sufficient details supplied to them to come to an informed decision on whether Blackman broke the rules of armed conflict.

And you can (rightly) contest the generalising of the 'people' in this thread, but I personally find it very disappointing that the reaction to the blatantly premeditated killing of an unarmed, wounded enemy combatant committed by a British soldier did not engender near-universal disgust.

Also I can't tell if you were just summarising the presumed misinformed public position in the parts I bolded, or if that is your genuine interpretation of what happened.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2017, 12:22:21 pm »
I'm not surprised.

I think that's a very fair analysis of how the British public and politicians think. Thanks in no small part to the nonsense spewed out by certain elements of the media. 
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2017, 12:32:47 am »
Having done a bit of googling I think he is probably not guilty of Murder under English law (where diminished responsibility only requires substantial impairment) but guilty of a War Crime under International law (which requires that a person's capacity must be "destroyed" in order for them to have a defence).

That kind of fits with how I feel about the case - on an emotional level I have sympathy for him given the circumstances but on a rational level it is clear that soldiers need to be held to a higher standard of self-control than your everyday man off the street.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:40:54 am by Sammy5IsAlive »

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2017, 12:03:47 pm »
Sentenced to 7 years for manslaughter on grounds of diminished responsibility so will be out shortly as he has done 3 years. Think this was the obvious outcome once an appeal was launched.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2017, 12:06:43 pm »
Sentenced to 7 years for manslaughter on grounds of diminished responsibility so will be out shortly as he has done 3 years. Think this was the obvious outcome once an appeal was launched.

Not bad for killing someone in cold blood.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2017, 03:19:29 pm »
Not bad for killing someone in cold blood.

I think there are farmers in godforsaken places such as Dorset and suchlike who have received lighter sentences for shooting smack heads who were robbing their farmhouses.

Watched the Naudet brothers documentary on 9/11 yesterday and had trouble sleeping last night thinking about it. This decision on the other hand I will sleep like a baby.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2017, 03:46:40 pm »
I think there are farmers in godforsaken places such as Dorset and suchlike who have received lighter sentences for shooting smack heads who were robbing their farmhouses.

Watched the Naudet brothers documentary on 9/11 yesterday and had trouble sleeping last night thinking about it. This decision on the other hand I will sleep like a baby.

Not sure which cases you are specifically refering to, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2017, 05:19:12 pm »

Oh, don't know of any incapacitated smackheads on the rob killed with a 9mm to the chest at close range myself.  But you know, good for you.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2017, 05:25:57 pm »
By admitting he was breaking the Geneva convention, he was  clearly aware that he was a committing a crime of murder. But this is exactly what we sent him there to do. That's why we arm soldiers with guns and not flowers.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2017, 05:26:44 pm »
By admitting he was breaking the Geneva convention, he was  clearly aware that he was a crime of murder. But this is exactly what we sent him there to do. That's why we arm soldiers with guns and not flowers.
So you're exactly saying what we send them there to do is murder?
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2017, 05:29:13 pm »
So you're exactly saying what we send them there to do is murder?

Yes, do you have a different take on it.
Do you think we are liberating the spirits of those we are killing?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2017, 06:06:51 pm »
By admitting he was breaking the Geneva convention, he was  clearly aware that he was a committing a crime of murder. But this is exactly what we sent him there to do. That's why we arm soldiers with guns and not flowers.

I don't think we sent soldiers their to murder people.

Do you know what Murder means?

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2017, 06:33:56 pm »
I don't think we sent soldiers their to murder people.

Do you know what Murder means?

So what exactly are our soldiers doing there.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2017, 06:48:37 pm »
People should watch farenheitt 911 if they want a restless night or 2, oh an btw shit decision to free him but totally not surprised.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2017, 07:54:28 pm »
I'm disgusted by this decision. The guy is a murderer and there's even a recording of him admitting it.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2017, 08:27:08 pm »
People should watch farenheitt 911 if they want a restless night or 2, oh an btw shit decision to free him but totally not surprised.

Well I'm gonna have sleepless nights now, I didn't realise people were still falling for that rubbish, it's literally just two hours of cut and paste editing quote mining and misleading assertions, Micheal Moore is as bad as Fox News for being blatantly full of shit.

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2017, 08:29:15 pm »
Yes, do you have a different take on it.
Do you think we are liberating the spirits of those we are killing?

Can you not see the difference between killing someone in cold blood, when he presents zero threat to you and killing someone in a firefight when it's either them or you?

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2017, 08:29:54 pm »
Thing is, if this was roles reversed, and it was someone from the Taliban who had taken the actions of Mr Blackman, you could imagine Messrs Liddle, Dacre, Littlejohn and the rest of the fucking right-wing knob jockeys demanding blood.

Should've been left to rot.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2017, 09:05:06 pm »
Can you not see the difference between killing someone in cold blood, when he presents zero threat to you and killing someone in a firefight when it's either them or you?

Because soldiers are robots who can assess every situation from the comfort of their own bedroom, what if the unarmed enemy just slaughtered your mates, before becoming unarmed. We send them to do nothing but kill, then we charge them with murder. Might make us feel better to pretend we are better than the savages we are sent to kill.
Id say over 80% of the enemy fighters we kill are not in a firefight, unless you call a 1000lb bomb dropped from the sky against militia men with 1960s soviet rifles a fire fight.
The hypocrisy is big on this  one, all those thousands of civilians get bombed to death and passed as collateral damage. Yet one unarmed fighter and all of a sudden we are asking what have become of us.

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2017, 09:59:13 am »
Because soldiers are robots who can assess every situation from the comfort of their own bedroom, what if the unarmed enemy just slaughtered your mates, before becoming unarmed. We send them to do nothing but kill, then we charge them with murder. Might make us feel better to pretend we are better than the savages we are sent to kill.
Id say over 80% of the enemy fighters we kill are not in a firefight, unless you call a 1000lb bomb dropped from the sky against militia men with 1960s soviet rifles a fire fight.
The hypocrisy is big on this  one, all those thousands of civilians get bombed to death and passed as collateral damage. Yet one unarmed fighter and all of a sudden we are asking what have become of us.

"What if he'd just slaughtered your mates" then killing him after that whilst understandable, would still be illegal, how is this so hard.

We're not talking about soldiers or the nature of war or the morals of collateral damage, this story is about one person who, had enough about him to know what he was doing was completely illegal under international and domestic law and attempted to cover it up.

Soldiers are still bound by the laws of the state no matter what situation they're in and this is murder as defined in law.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2017, 10:32:55 am »
Thing is, if this was roles reversed, and it was someone from the Taliban who had taken the actions of Mr Blackman, you could imagine Messrs Liddle, Dacre, Littlejohn and the rest of the fucking right-wing knob jockeys demanding blood.

Should've been left to rot.

This.

The enemy doesn't count though.  As far as that ilk are concerned its free reign to do as one pleases to stop the 'terrorists'.

This killer deserved no sympathy whatsoever and has no moral high-ground over the enemy he claims he was fighting.

Seeing all those supporters on tv and his wife all over the news makes me want to puke.  This image they are trying to portray as Blackman as some hero who suffered a miscarriage of justice is disgusting.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:36:08 am by puroresu_kid »

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2017, 10:40:35 am »
This.

The enemy doesn't count though.  As far as that ilk are concerned its free reign to do as one pleases to stop the 'terrorists'.
Why was he court-martialed and jailed then? Are you even aware of the thread you're posting in?

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2017, 10:43:03 am »
This.

This killer deserved no sympathy whatsoever and has no moral high-ground over the enemy he claims he was fighting.

Seeing all those supporters on tv and his wife all over the news makes me want to puke.  This image they are trying to portray as Blackman as some hero who suffered a miscarriage of justice is disgusting.

Funnily enough it's the exact same logic ISIS and the taliban use, "the kufar aren't worth the same as us we can do what we like to them." Etc

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2017, 10:44:12 am »
Why was he court-martialed and jailed then? Are you even aware of the thread you're posting in?

I think you need to read his post again he wasn't defending sgt Blackman

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2017, 10:59:53 am »
I think you need to read his post again he wasn't defending sgt Blackman
I'm sure he wasn't defending Sgt. Blackman (and neither am I). The concept of "free reign" doesn't exist with our Armed Forces as can be seen by the fact he was court-martialed.

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2017, 11:20:03 am »
I'm sure he wasn't defending Sgt. Blackman (and neither am I). The concept of "free reign" doesn't exist with our Armed Forces as can be seen by the fact he was court-martialed.

Yeah I get you, see my post further up, they still have to follow the law, but I think he made that in reference to what the Richard littlejohns of this world think rather than military policy.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2017, 11:34:28 am »
He's just the one that got caught. War is littered with executions.

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2017, 11:44:13 am »
Yeah I get you, see my post further up, they still have to follow the law, but I think he made that in reference to what the Richard littlejohns of this world think rather than military policy.
Gotcha. I'm just at the point where there's little to be gained by giving headspace when objectionable dickheads turn out to have objectional views.

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2017, 12:21:07 pm »
He's just the one that got caught. War is littered with executions.

All the more reason to make sure people who do get caught face the consequences.

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2017, 12:24:22 pm »
Gotcha. I'm just at the point where there's little to be gained by giving headspace when objectionable dickheads turn out to have objectional views.

I totally get this, it seems more and more that every subject seems completely polarised, it's hard not to switch off, it's the reason why I've just binned off most social media.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2017, 02:12:07 pm »
I'm disgusted by this decision. The guy is a murderer and there's even a recording of him admitting it.
One mans murderer is another mans freedom fighter. Or so that is what we are told.